[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there any downside to levelling up a ton in the beginning?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 211
Thread images: 25
File: dark souls.jpg (53 KB, 256x330) Image search: [Google]
dark souls.jpg
53 KB, 256x330
is there any downside to levelling up a ton in the beginning? i learned about the dragon trick where its fire gets you 500 souls on the bridge at the beginning of the game. what level should i grind to before continuing?
>>
>>342263745
Leveling up means shit.

Just focus on improving weapons and maybe decent weapons.
>>
The game is easy enough already. I don't know why you would want to grind levels and make it trivial. It ruins the experience.
>>
grind all you want, OP. it affects nothing but angry nerds on /v/
>>
>Dark Souls
>grind

Fucking why? The game is set up in such a way that there's a natural progression.
>>
>>342263745
Grinding is unnecessary unless you want to use specific gear.

The only thing you need to improve is your rolling, and by that i mean just get better at rolling
>>
Spend those souls on upgrading weapons.

Leveling means almost nothing. You could be level 500 against the first boss and still die if your weapons aren't upgraded.
>>
No, unless you plan on doing PVP.
Even then, as long as you stop levelling up around 120 you'll be fine.
>>
>>342264379
My rolling is fat-like, right now. How do I improve it?
>>
>>342264535
Equip gear that weighs less or increase your equip load which i think is endurance in Dark Souls 1
>>
>>342263745
The downside is that it trivializes an already easy game and thus you deprive yourself of enjoyment.
>>
File: pepe.jpg (5 KB, 192x185) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
5 KB, 192x185
>>342264219
>>342264692
>dark souls
>easy

am i being memed?
>>
>>342264535
Switch to lighter gear. Below 50% weight you have acceptable rolls. Below 25% you get the best rolls. Just don't fatroll anymore, it will get you killed.

Endurance increases max load.
>>
>>342264753
those assholes want to be cool
>>
File: Dark-Souls-PS3-Box-Art-JP.jpg (488 KB, 1516x1758) Image search: [Google]
Dark-Souls-PS3-Box-Art-JP.jpg
488 KB, 1516x1758
>>342263745
>American box art
>>
>>342264648
>>342264774
Thank you, fellas.
>>
>>342264753
Oh fuck off frogposter, the souls games are not difficult
>>
>>342264753
>>342264835
Its difficulty is greatly exaggerated by brebare to dye memesters.
>>
>>342264926
Jap one looks shit and made for beta pussy's which then again suits beta japs.

The US cover shows you are overpowered and that souls is easy as fuck.
>>
>>342263745
The dragon bridge is an easy spot to grind however it becomes inefficient really fast since soon you will need 3k souls to levelup. There is a better grinding spot (which requires some souls to get access too) down the road. I could inform you of that if you want me to.

Overall DEX/STR leveling isnt as important (provided you meet the requirements to wield your weapon of choice) as your weapon upgrades unless you're planning to pvp. HOWEVER VIT and END are really usefull for pve.

Dark Souls get easy when you start understanding the game. Before that it can be hard (fight me).
>>
>>342265000
I'm the guy who fatrolls.

I started playing this weekend, and it's as difficult as people want to believe it is, to be honest, I was hyped as hell and thinking "man I'll play for countless hours to kill that boss". Until now, none of them took more than 3 attempts to kill them.

It's a spooky game, though.
Those fucking sewer slimes, for fucks sake.
It gives me the chills to remind them falling off the ceiling right above my head and raping me after that.
>>
>>342263745
There's no point on doing that.
Believe it or not, you can go as far as half of the game just by being good, Overleveling serves no purpose since most of the improvements to your character are giving by reinforcing weapons and armor.
if you really want to grind for something, go to Darkroot Garden as fast as you can and farm the Black Knight that drops the Black Knight Halberd (You'll have to restart the file every time if you don't get it tho), if you do get it, the rest of the game is a breeze.
>>
>>342265650
>It's NOT as difficult

fix'd
>>
>>342263745
Leveling up weapons is more important, and Titanite is locked by progression. So just play.
>>
>>342264753
The point is that the difficulty is a part of the game. If you sidestep it by over-levelling, you'll ruin your experience.
And after you've practiced some, you will find it easy too.
>>
>>342264018
A thousand times this. Being comfortable with a weapon's move set is better than high numbers. Scaling from ng to ng+7
>>
>>342265920
>kill asylum demon
>go straight down to New Londo from Firelink
>kill red faggot to get key
>farm Darkstalkers for chunks
Titanite is only locked by skill
>>
did i mess up by not choosing the master key at the beginning? i picked the tiny beings ring, which doesnt even do what it said it does.
>>
>>342266282
Master key is good for second+ runs. Most players agree master key on the first run is bad, it leads to accidental sequence breaking.
>>
File: 1465948633552.jpg (674 KB, 1280x1236) Image search: [Google]
1465948633552.jpg
674 KB, 1280x1236
Leveling is only really useful for meeting the requirement to use weapons and maybe beefing up your equipment load so you can wear armor you want to wear. weapon scalling does help do extra damage but having a +15 weapon is always better than a +0 weapon.

Some people will say level doesn't mean shit but in my opinion is more like a 50/50. half levels, half equipment. people like to brag about beating the game at level 1 but in reality most play throughs involving leveling so thats why its just as important as equipment.
>>
>>342266282
Not really. The key is focused towards experienced players so they can have shortcuts to certain areas of the game early on. However after the first half of the game the key is pretty much useless, you can even buy it from a NPC at some point, but by them you shouldn't really would have a need for it.
>>
Op, people who says HURR DURR >GRINDING are g faggots, grind all you want, specially if you wanna use that one sword/shield/armor you want
The thing is that it'll be less probable to get help from other people in game if your level is too high and you're in the beggining of the game
Other way is fine and listen to this
PLAY THE GAME THE FUCKING WAY YOU WANT, /v/ is full of fucking faggots who fell for the >HURR DURR I must finish the game at los level and without summoning because millions of flies can't be wrong
>>
If you have to grind for anything but weapon/armor supply upgrades, you need to stop.
>>
>>342265650
fatrolling makes the game harder
>>
>>342266282

You can buy the master key well before the halfway point of the game, there's no real reason to chose it for a gift unless you want a quick run to some specific gear or want to do things "out of order" for the novelty's sake.

That being said, that ring is fucking useless.
>>
>>342266923
I'm pretty sure I've only played the easy parts that don't require too much rolling. But I'll get there.
>>
>>342263745
>500 souls bridge trick

old news and useless. 500 souls is literally nothing. You'll level faster going through the game.
>>
It nah not really upgrading your weapons would be a better use of your time.
>>
>>342267321
>500 souls is useless
unless, you know, youre at the part whee youre at that bridge, when 500 souls is 1/3d of a level
>>
>>342267210

None of the game requires rolling. People seem to forget there are shields in the game and that they do more than just parry attacks.
>>
>>342267321
Are you stupid son?
>>
>>342264926

So, I saved Solaire, I guess. I mean I cucked him out of the Sunlight Maggot, but then I went through the Centipede's tunnel into the Bed of Chaos.
That doesn't do jack shit to Solaire, right? Once you talk to him in the hallway he's safe, right?
>>
>>342267627
LMAO gid gud le scrub

That's what happens when 90% of /v/ only knows shit about a game thanks to dank memes and jumping on the popularity bandwagon.
>>
>>342267713
As long as you get the maggot before he gets fucked up by it, he's fine. He'll help you for the final boss, too.
>>
>>342267627
Ye but most of your stamina tends to get drained that way leaving you less opportunities to attack. Try fight arty with that strategy.
>>
>>342265650
The alleged "so brutal died 100 times lmao" difficulty comes mostly from retards who are used to games that almost play themselves for you and give three achievements for beating the tutorial.

Difficulty is not the core focus or strength of the game. It's more about level design, clever enemy placements and mechanics, world design and connectivity and atmosphere. You seem to already appreciate part of this yourself, just quit giving attention to the difficulty meme and focus on the game's actual strong points.
>>
You can use the trick to get a attribute to a certain level, so you can use e.g. the claymore one handed or the zweihander 2h . Almost every time i use this trick ist is excatly for stuff like this but i don't grind just because i want some levels with no real goal.
that is stupid and you should play the game, bosses give you enough.
>>
>>342263745
Only level your strength/dex enough to use the weapon you want, upgrading weapons give more than enough damage. focus levels in vit/endurance early on.
>>
>>342268017
>Enkindle
>Estus Flask
>Covenant: Way of the White
kek, Dark Souls gives you three achievements for beating the tutorial.
>>
>>342268315
What the fuck was up with that?
I miss the boss trophies from Demons' Souls. They looked cool.
>>
>>342267627
rolling is much easier than using a shield
>>
i usually farm souls in the beginning to get enought str to use the zweihander

then it's pretty much ez mode except for a few parts

grinding is good for items really, it's best to not level up too much because then you can't summon/be summoned
>>
>>342267941

Nah, blocking staggers enemies a lot of the time, leaving them open or you time to back off and recharge, and blocking with a large shield doesn't each much stamina at all, relatively speaking.

The no rolls/blocking only playthrough I did out of curiosity was the easiest playthrough I had. Might have been a little slower but it was definitely easier.
>>
Do people really use the same weapon every time? How boring. I try different builds every time I play.
>>
File: 1366479043475.jpg (6 KB, 206x211) Image search: [Google]
1366479043475.jpg
6 KB, 206x211
>it's a farm 30 souls episode
>>
DSP over levelled to 99 in Demon's Souls and it did a fat lot of good for him.
>>
>people legitimately believe the souls games are hard meme
What a sad world we live in
>>
>>342268315
kek, you got me there, I pretty much completely forgot about estus and enkindle being actual achievments. And there's one for leaving the asylum too so I guess the game is officially casual tier now.
>>
>>342264018
And how do you get decent weapons without leveling?
>>
>>342268797

blocking so easy in the game with a large shield, i had to get away from it because the game was getting boring

blocking then switching to 2 handed for attack was OP
>>
>>342269043
Ease of getting achievements isn't indicative of how good a game is, was my point
>>
>>342269030
I'd love to see /v/ stream souls.
>>
>>342269030

well they are a bit more challenging than your average ARPG

anyone who thinks otherwise is just being an ass
>>
>>342266282
I've beaten the game 30+ times and have literally never picked anything other than the master key. The first time I saw a friend go the proper route to Blighttown I laffd
>>
>>342269056
Just focus on getting 2 or 3 weapons you like unless you really like experimenting.
>>
>>342269291
>I've beaten the game 30 times playing the exact same one
grats
>>
>>342269056

basically you level up str or dex to like 25 and you suddenly can use 90% of your builds weapons in the game, and leveling anything besides HP or magic is pointless after that
>>
>>342269291
I sometimes go the proper way to Blighttown just for shits and giggles. It can be fun going the hard way. It helps that I've never gone below 45fps there.
>>
There's no reason to fight any of the standard enemies in souls games the bosses drop way more souls.
>Fromcucks will defend their run and summon simulator
>>
>>342269291
You don't need the Master Key to go to Blighttown.
You can go through a tunnel in Dark Root Garden near the place where the Black Knight is on the way to the Hydra.
>>
>>342269408

well who the fuck wants to play the most boring part of the entire game when it's completely skippable?

that fight with havel at sl 1 with a shit weapon 5 mins after starting the game is more fun than anything before blight town
>>
>>342269635
>the most boring part of the entire game
That'd be butt-dragon land.
>>
>>342264753
First few runs. Kinda hard. After you "git gud" easy peasy.

I took my level 20 griefer through the game with little to no effort whatsoever. Just upgrade gear, upgrade pyro flame, pew pew stab stab win.

On a side note, a Guts build is extremely fun. Level up as much as you want, and just slam shit into the ground with your oversized sword. No shield, shields are for pussies and fags.
>>
>>342269262
>well they are a bit more challenging than your average ARPG
That's not saying much anon
>>
>>342269748

lol butt dragon, what the fuck was going on there?

the only saving part is that all the enemies are so fucking weird and the floor is lava
>>
>>342268961

He breezed through Demon's Souls when he cheated to level 99, the only thing he struggled with was the False King and invasions. DSP hated Demon's and Dark Souls, he only played them because it was getting him views and he just did his best to brute force his way through the games with minimal effort, ironically making them harder than they needed to be.

His Dark Souls 2 playthrough is noticeably better because he had actually grown to like the games and so he bothered to play it properly, more or less.
>>
>>342269865
>what the fuck was going on there?
It's literally not a finished area.
My guess is FROM were planning some kind of Shanty maze for a second level, and thered be traps to fall through to the lava and aggro the dragons.
>>
File: 1460818982937.jpg (46 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
1460818982937.jpg
46 KB, 500x379
>>342269748
>when you clear out the way after killing Ceaselessly shit boss and just reach that featureless neon lava plain with half a dozen copy-pasted Taurus Demons.

I know the area is an unfinished mess, but Jesus Christ that was bad.
>>
>>342270226
I didn't even notice they were the Taurus Demons, they looked like generic DOOM bad guys.
It wasn't until I saw the Capra Demon gang I realized what was going on and the fire Asylum Demon was just the cherry on top.
>>
>>342263745
Stay sl1 and just gitgud
>>
>>342270226

yea worst part of the game, demon ruins just didn't really fit into the lore at all

discharge was easy as fuck but holy shit that fucking lava centipede tho
>>
>>342270478

entire level was just copy pasta

then you get the fun platformer tree boss of shit luck

hardest part was making the last jump, fucking terrible
>>
>>342266568
>Some people will say level doesn't mean shit but in my opinion is more like a 50/50. half levels, half equipment. people like to brag about beating the game at level 1 but in reality most play throughs involving leveling so thats why its just as important as equipment.
This. You can say levels don't make a difference because you see people beat NG+7 bosses at SL1, but what you don't see is how many tries it takes them to do it. Level 240 on my main in DaS3 and I can beat all the NG+7 bosses on my first try and I don't think I'm that skillful.
>>
>>342270226

utlimately it's a boss rush where people would expect a level
>>
File: 1379612468145.jpg (13 KB, 180x157) Image search: [Google]
1379612468145.jpg
13 KB, 180x157
>>342270592
>about to do the dank jump
>holy shit I did it!
>the bitch sweeps me midhair
>>
The game can be beaten at level 1 with just a moderately high level of challenge. A level 1 player and a level 100 player facing each other in PVP, the level 1 player actually has a decent shot, if both players are of the same skill level.

As others have pointed out, knowing how to use your weapon, and upgrading your weapon rather than leveling up, is more important than having more useless dex and useless strength, when you're not even aligning your stats properly.

(Disregard this until you get really into the game, until then it will just confuse you)
The only really significant stats are vitality and endurance. You want to keep your light roll, but you also want to have at least 41 poise. And having 30 vitality + mask of the mother + rofap, effectively gives you double the HP you start the game with - making it one of the only stats that gives a high reward for investing just a small amount of stat points into it.

Other than that, upgrading your weapon gives more damage output than leveling dex / str, so points put into them are usually a waste. You just want to fulfill the minimum stat requirements to wield your weapon properly.

An example build of all of these ideas combined: http://mmdks.com/88y5
You could do variations of this build / experiment, but you can't deny how OP this is. For example, if you wanted to be even lower level, you could downgrade to an east-west shield and lower your endurance. You could add a composite bow, for a ranged option. If you want more poise, you could do a 61 poise Havelmom build. If you want oolacile PVP, you could do a royal helm / giant armor / giant leggings / cleric gauntlets build, for massive HP, massive defense, and massive poise.
>>
>>342270738
Nothing hard using +5 giant blacksmith hammer with estoc moveswap
Sl1 in das is cake
>>
>>342271067
>the level 1 player actually has a decent shot
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
>>
File: 1464522273151.jpg (60 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1464522273151.jpg
60 KB, 480x480
>>342270592
>mfw I always sucked at anything involving platforming
>mfw I missed that fucking jump almost 10 times, not even due to bed of bullshit sweeping me off, just my own inability to into platforming
>mfw the trek from the bonfire to the boss
>>
i'm leveling up in DaS3 and haven't upgraded a single weapon and the weapons are still pretty strong
>>
>>342271227
Where was your last bonfire? It should only take you like 2 minutes to run until the boss door.
>>
>>342271206
The only disadvantage they have is lower HP. If they played intelligently, they could win.
>>
>>342271490
>The only disadvantage they have is lower HP.
Are you literally brain-damaged?
>>
File: top lel.png (292 KB, 426x427) Image search: [Google]
top lel.png
292 KB, 426x427
>>342267941
>This entire post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPoBVlBE_Gc
>>
>>342271190
Except you have less stamina for rolls, blocks and attacks, less hp and your defense choices affect your rolls. Plus, you do a lot of damage with maxed out weapon, but ultimately less than a properly specced player, so you have lower dps because of lower strength/dex and because of lower stamina, with rolls and blocks that take a higher chunk of your actions compared to a higher leveled player. It makes it so that fights last longer and you can afford less (or no) mistakes in that timeframe, which is something that someone like me doesn't have to deal with.
>>
>>342271592
during the recent reddit new game day thing, I was invading with my SL 11 Darkwraith using a Chaos Great Scythe.

Obviously I was getting my shit slapped by the high levels in NG+ but I was winning more often then you might expect.
>>
File: Capra_Demon_Dark_souls.jpg (221 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Capra_Demon_Dark_souls.jpg
221 KB, 1280x720
>>342269056
16/16 str/dex is 90% of the weapons.
18/18 str/dex is 95% of the weapons in the game.
You only need 34 str to wield all the Str weapons too.
>>
>>342271980
>and your defense choices affect your rolls.
And by that I mean you can't really go full havel without fatrolling at SL1. Or in DaS3, the equip load of your rings can make it so that you're not able to equip that last piece of Smough's armor you wanted.
>>
>>342271227
There are like 5 bonfires in the Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith that I know of.
>just after Queelag
>to the right of the stairs after the Capra Demons
>before the Centipede
>after the Centipede
>and near the butt dragons

Where the fuck did you camp at?
>>
>>342271980
That's very obvious anon, an sl1 does less damage and has less stats than a leveled player. I'm so glad you had to point that out.
>>
>>342272336
You missed the Fair Lady's bonfire.
>>
>>342264753
Its easy if it isnt your first playthrough, mostly because you'll already know how to overcome every obstacle
>>
>>342272530

That's technically in Quelaag's Domain.
>>
DS1 isn't that hard. I don't think I died to any boss more than 7 times. DS3 on the other hand kicked my ass with certain bosses
>>
how about leveling AND upgrading your weapons? some of you speak as if it's expensive to upgrade weapons
>>
>>342273064
>I don't think I died to any boss more than 7 times.
Even solo O&S?
>>
>>342273064
I refuse to believe you got to beat O&S under 7 tries by your own in your first run.
>>
>not just farming the forest cucks and upgrading both yourself and your weapons
>>
>>342271723
I thought it was illegal to own niggas like that
>>
>>342273064
I don't think I had trouble with any boss in dark souls 3.
>>342273210
>>342273229
Oh fuck off, O&S required to player to manage their camera and that's it. Lud and Zallen shits on O&S difficult wise. Any new player can just pick up the crystal halberd and breeze through O&s
>>
>>342273210
>>342273229
I never summon ever for any bosses on first play through.

O&S was the one that took about 7 tries iirc. They kicked my ass initially but after a while I managed to just stay the fuck away and use the pillars to my advantage while hacking away at Ornstein's HP. Maybe I found it easier because I used probably the strongest strength weapon in the game with the Great Club (didn't know it at the time) but once Ornstein's died, the rest was easy peasy
>>
>>342273584
>and that's it.
Not really.
But alright, i won't try arguing this.
>>342273634
fair enough
>>
>>342273634
>once Ornstein's died, the rest was easy peasy

Certainly is. Giant Ornstein has an attack with a bullshit hitbox that does a hell of a lot of damage. Giant Smough is a pushover.
>>
>>342269056
Even the wooden club you start with can become OP
>>
I just cheesed Giant Ornstein with arrows behind a pillar.
He was stuck behind another on the other side of the room, each time he tried to shoot lightning it would hit my pillar and when he tried to rush he would go against his own pillar.
>>
>>342273125
You need 3 things to enforce weapons,
1. The weapon you want to upgrade.
2. The materials to upgrade such weapon (more basic weapon upgrade materials 'Titanite shard up to +5' can be bought from the black smith itself, but it will cost you extra souls)
3. Souls to buy the upgrades with.

Upgrading a weapon buff its raw power, so getting a +5 weapon makes your attack better than leveling up 5 levels, for example.
A side advice is that you have to be careful on what you spend your Titanite Chunks and slabs, You only get a fixed amount of them through the game other than random drops, and if you don't upgrade a good weapon with them, getting more could be frustrating.
Getting large titanite shards is easy enough, so don't worry experimenting with those.
>>
The souls fanbase is very cancerous. They treat anyone's opinions of the game as a personal attack. Saying x boss was easy is the fastest way to get a bunch od shitposter to rain down the pain on you. Some even go as far as to just say you're waiting or don't own/have played the game. It's quite silly and I don't think any other community does this. I remember saying how I found Pontiff pretty easy on my first try and I got nothing but assholes claiming I was lying or baiting.
You can't really talk negatively about the games on here.
Regardless of its legit criticism like das3 and bb linearity or das2 hitbox shenanigans
>>
>>342275010
Woah, what triggered your autism?
>>
>>342275157
Proving my point
>>
>>342275237
>one of the few threads about Dark Souls where people are answering questions and sharing experiences from an old game
>WOW THIS COMMUNITY IS FUCKING CANCEROUS
>JUST PROVING MY POINT, HAR DE HAR

Really?
The community is cancerous but you're not helping in the slighest.
>>
>>342275552
We are not in the same thread then, you're purposely missing quite a few posts that are detailed in my first post.
>>
I just picked up this last steam sale. I gotta say this game does an amazing job at making me feel like I'm actually progressing. I remember having a terrible time in the beginning learning the mechanics. I went down into the catacombs by accident because I didn't know I was supposed to up first. On the bright side I picked up a spear and the zweihander without looking for them. I went up and rang the first bell after fighting the gargoyles. But now that I've done that what do I do? I tried going to the forest and I found a secret bonfire. I made my way in and fought a giant wolf but got my ass handed to me. I went into blight town afterwards and got my ass handed to me again by a goat demon. Ay tips with either of those? I use the elite knight gear and the halberd and sheild for reference.
>>
File: 1380083717956.jpg (51 KB, 170x170) Image search: [Google]
1380083717956.jpg
51 KB, 170x170
Started played Demon's Souls today for the first time and I'm having fun, but these games not having a pause button is legit fucking awful.
>>
>>342276312
To the depths m8.
from burg go back to solaire with the two doors and the dragon bridge.
make sure you have the basement key
>>
>>342275881
So you're shitflinging over a minority?
>>
How much damage should I being doing to O&S per hit? I'm using the Drake sword but the reach is terrible so I ended up using Pyros.
>>
>>342263745
It's pretty easy to overlevel in Souls/BB. Especially in DS1 because it's not so linear. You don't need grind. Just don't care so much about level. Buy armor/ weapons
>>
File: 1466206858326.png (462 KB, 567x748) Image search: [Google]
1466206858326.png
462 KB, 567x748
>>342263745
Leveling doesn't matter as much as you think

Try not to grind (unless you enjoy grinding)

Just play the game
>>
>>342264464
Bollocks. The more health you have the more hits you can take. The more endurance you've beefed up the more hits you can dish out.

It's only wasteful to level up things like dex and faith.
>>
>>342276720
>I'm using the Drake sword
stop and go get the silver knight ss.
>>
>>342276649
I have the key. I went that route and ran into the goat demon. Should I go a different way or stick it out and try and fight? The dogs stun lock me and the goat kills me.
>>
>>342269056
by picking them up off the ground you fucking retard.
>>
>>342276869
Gotta kill Capra m8.
roll out of Capra's ambush, lead the dogs up the stairs.
Then kill 'em before capra drops.
>>
>>342276620
I feel you. I started with demons souls and dropped it. It just wasn't fun for me. My friend convinced me to play dark souls and it completely changed my opinion on the series. I didn't even know what a bonfire was since demon souls doesn't have them. Arch stones just don't compare.
>>
>>342263745
>downside to levelling
nope

>grind
no point, youll get a thousand times more souls if you just kill some bosses
>>
>>342276869
You need to dodge the first attacks and run up the stair. The dogs should come after you quickly while Capra lags a bit behind, giving you time to finish them off and letting you 1v1 goatfucker, who is pretty ez without his canine buttbuddies to stunlock you.
>>
>>342276720
Dude the drake sword is shit, it becomes worthless after a certain point because it dosent scale. Use a black knight halberd.
>>
>>342264314
/thread desu
>>
>>342264774
>Endurance increases max load.

/fit/ will love you.
>>
File: Dark Souls Thread.jpg (250 KB, 883x341) Image search: [Google]
Dark Souls Thread.jpg
250 KB, 883x341
>>342273064
>pic: the post
>>
>>342277126
Huh. Then you are not feeling me because I'm having a blast. I just really hate the lack of a pause button. Doesn't let me poop in peace.
>>
>>342265987
Leveling up is also a part of the game and there's nothing wrong with it
>>
>>342277439
/fit/ are sissies who can't even cardio.
not him though.
>>
>>342263745
Grind Spots:
Dragon Bridge
Depths (near bonfire; kill the rats for lots of humanity)
Anor Londo beginning, kill the 4 giant knights
>>
>>342276720
>using the drake sword past Sen's
>using the drake sword at all

I really don't understand how people don't pick up on how much better other weapons can be. Do people just speed through the game without thinking?
>>
>>342266195
You still need Andre
>>
>>342276869
>roll past Capra
>kill dogs
>kite Capra

As soon as you kill the dogs, the fight is pretty much over. Just keep distance from Capra and wait for the dogs to move ahead.
>>
Are there any souls like games that are actually difficult?
>>
>>342271592
You must not know how to make good characters.
>>
>>342277701
>Do people just speed through the game without thinking?
Scaling isn't really explained, and AAA games have instilled if they don't tell us directly it's not a thing.
>>
>>342277701
A lot people bitching about no tutorial in BB even if you can find tutorial in Hunter's Dream. In DS3 a see lot people who use Dark Sword even at NG+6. They don't care about anything. YOLO R1
>>
File: 1464859636076.jpg (14 KB, 399x382) Image search: [Google]
1464859636076.jpg
14 KB, 399x382
>>342276720
>people still fall for the Drake Sword
>probably followed a guide to get it too
>>
>>342277835
Just go to the forest, aggro or whatever you fags call it them, run into the small ledge under the stairs and wach the fuckers fall for easy 7k souls.
>>
>>342277271
>black knight drop
>only one left is in Tomb of Giants
no thanks.

>>342276858
Alright.

>>342277701
Actually that's what I was trying to do. Got to O&S in 22 hours is that good for a first time? and then spent the next 10 hours stuck.

>>342278120
Don't bully.
>>
>>342278031
In bb and ds3 you can just get by with r1spam
>>
>>342278120
GameGuidesWiki
>>
>>342269781
2 handing oversized swords is the only way to play souls for me
>>
>>342278193
You can't in BB.
>>
>>342278172
>speeding through a game without thinking and evaluating and learning
>"is that good"
Why do you even play video games? No, it's not fucking good if you sped through the easier parts of the game on a meme weapon and have no actual understanding of how to play. You might as well start over and actually take the time to learn what works and what doesn't.

>>342277945
Even without scaling or type weaknesses, one should be able to realize that the flat damage of Drake sword is worse than any upgraded weapon.
>>
File: 1450061033673.gif (1 MB, 211x203) Image search: [Google]
1450061033673.gif
1 MB, 211x203
Black Knight Sword
>>
>>342278634
You can though, you can even get by just by holding l2 lmao pizza cutter
>>
>>342278726
The thing is I did get some other weapons after I got stuck, but the damage even at +5 was still less than the drake.
>>
Seven years since the last good souls game
Sad world
>>
>>342279238
You need more mind work for R1 mash in BB. Pizza L2 works well only on specific bosses.
>>
>>342278172
You're just bullying yourself with that shit weapon, relative. Get yourself something that scales nicely with what stats you've invested in and upgrade it.

For O&S, keep them both on your screen at the same time. Get your weight down to fastrolls if you're heavier. I'm going to assume you are going to make your life easier by killing Oreos first. You can usually bait and punish his charge attacks that help separate him from his buttbuddy. Just don't get too greedy, hit him a couple of times then back off and get Smough back on your screen if you've moved your camera. Be patient and don't try to duel Ornstein for too long because Smough will probably charge your ass down. If you get hit, run away behind a pillar to chug, you will die if you do it in the middle of the room. Smough's shovel charge is the most obnoxious thing in this phase, keep dodging backwards until it's over or get him to stop into a pillar.

Phase 2 Smough is pretty ez, his attacks are slow and easy to dodge then punish. If he jumps gtfo fast. You might want to not lock on, I remember at least one occasion when a buttslam got me because when he jumped the camera got fucked up and I messed my rolls.
>>
>>342273229
i beat O&S on my very first try with about 4% hp remaining
i did cheat using black knight halberd tho
>>
>>342279835
>You need more mind work for R1 mash in BB
About the same as you do in das3
>>
>>342268661
How much endurance do I need to be able to 25% roll with that and another weapon?

It's not 40 is it?
>>
>>342276720
Stop usibg the Drakesword. You should've scrapped that shit SO long ago it's not even funny. As soon as you can get a weapon to +3, the Drakesword is obsolete.
>>
>>342278172
>>342274035
>>342273634
>>342273584
>>342273229
>>342273210

my character is a blue haired, red eyed rei ayanami with small chest and big waist.

i solod ornstein and smough with my zweihander + dark woodgrain ring + wolf ring character around lvl 60

3 tries i shot down smough with pharis bow and pharis hat with no shirt and eastern leggings with elite knight gauntlets.

then i went to take down ornstein and showed him what a faggot he was.

then i grinded some more, put on ornsteins pants, so now i wear pharis hat, elite knight gauntlets, dark wood grain ring, and wolf ring at lvl 80 or so

lvl 85 i cleared tomb of giants in 2 hours, wreckt the shit outta Nito in one go, killed tha shit outta that faggot seath at lvl 87 after a few attempts to collect his sword and dying i decided, eh this fag wont give up the chocolate, so ill murder his ass.

now at lvl 88 ive killed 2 of 4 kings. dont believe me? then dont believe me and keep that dick in your mouth.
>>
>>342280021
Bosses hit harder
>>
>>342280259
>around lvl 60
nice overlevel nerd
>>
Yes, level up as much as you want. Also kill all the Black Knights and hopefully one will drop a Halberd. You can cheese through the game that way. That's what I did on my first play through.
>>
>>342280259
ebin, pls keep us up to date with your future adventures and also do you give fashion tips?
>>
>>342279847
But I want that ring.

>>342280048
read>>342279243
>>
File: 1448316541420.jpg (149 KB, 339x480) Image search: [Google]
1448316541420.jpg
149 KB, 339x480
>>342271723
>>342267941

Holy shit, destroyed like that. I will sing songs of this to my children.
>>
>>342280282
Not really, no.
Almost every boss can be visceraled in bb
In das3 only gundyr and Pontiff can
>>
>>342277701
>implying people understood what all those extra numbers meant 1st time, including you

That guys a faggot for using guide to get the sword, but you need to get your head out of your arse, m8
>>
>>342275010
that's just here. The worst part of the fanbase is "le hardest game" and that doesn't seem to be an issue here for the most part
>>
>>342280351
believe it or not i was roughly lvl 27?? - 32?? for capra demon.

i had defintely by that time been to the bottom of blight town and queelags entrance

my first character was a failure of a thief who too, had small chest, big waist and ultimately was a big waste so i figured i had a big sword to grind.
>>
>>342264753

it just has some really cheap areas that you will probably die a lot of times until you understand where to go or find a shortcut

some really cheap attacks by some bosses too
>>
>>342281232
>"implying people understood what all those extra numbers meant 1st time, including you"

I'm sorry to tell you this, but from seeing the words "upgrade weapon" and a subsequently higher number on the weapon, even the biggest retard should be able to figure out what is going on. Going further, if you can't comprehend the stat scaling on a weapon when it's just letter grades, you should probably stick with Angry Birds.

Yes, I did not have trouble figuring it out on my first playthrough. It also wasn't my first video game, and being good doesn't mean it's super complex. If you want to make an actual argument as to what a person should not be able to figure simply by playing a few hours of the game, go ahead. As far as I'm concerned however, most if not all of the mechanics are laid out very simply to anyone who knows what a "stat" is.
>>
>>342281634
>>342281268
Tetris is EZ. Hard games doesn't exist
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwC544Z37qo
>>
>>342280685
my character is deprived, so for fashion i try to look kawaii as possible.

the fact pharis hat is yellow, gloves are brown and chunky, eastern leggings is earthy dark tones/ornsteins pants being lightning-rod gold, my character is red eyed, blue haired, and has a definite red glow to her naked skin, reminds me oddly of ONE PIECE
>>
>>342280259
>my character is a blue haired, red eyed rei ayanami with small chest and big waist
pics or it didnt happen
>>
anyone else get super comfortable with block then 2handed Zwei (or other huge str weapon) but then in Dark Souls 2 not even bother with 2handing? my main was Greatsword/Lightnign Greatsword and I swear i noticed negligible improvements with two hand that i never even eally bothered to 2hand it.
>>
>>342269056
Starting weapon long sword can solo entire game without it even being too much ofa g imp

just get comfy with a moveset and prioritize leveling up weapons

but dont be afraid to switch to a new weapon its still a game and priority is still having fun
>>
>>342282391
I did, but that was more in some vain hope that it would make cutting down the 30+ damage sponges go any faster than any actual difference in damage. DS II is fine but god damn does it get monotonous on NG++++etc when they drop so many enemies everywhere.
>>
File: 1451569641547.png (137 KB, 340x243) Image search: [Google]
1451569641547.png
137 KB, 340x243
>>342263745
You don't really need to level up at all until you get to Anor Londo. If you can carry all of your souls all the way to the Darkmoon Knightess's bonfire, you can go all out there. Just be sure to upgrade your weapons as much as you possibly can.
>>
File: PissedGuts.jpg (116 KB, 788x609) Image search: [Google]
PissedGuts.jpg
116 KB, 788x609
>tfw can't beat manus because humanity attacks fuck me over
>think of summoning Sif
>useless piece of animal
JUST
>>
>>342283272
acquire pendant my man
>>
>>342282934
that bit in... Shrine of Amana? with all the mage's and the non stop homing attacks. It's not so bad with poison arrows (if you remember to stock up on them) but it's still such tedium.

I'm curious as to how the designers intended that section to be played it out. Because I only ever did it with a) blind luck or b) cheese it with poison arrows.
>>
>>342283272
>he casts dark rain
>roll backwards until it stops

>he casts dark bead
>roll sideways until it stops

>he casts dark bead from all around him
>roll into him

Or you can be stupid and use the Silver Pendant.
>>
>>342283272
>summoning Sif
>but can't use pendant

for what purpose?
>>
>>342281928
Congrats m8. Honestly did think it was your 1st game the way you're championing that elitist attitude.
>OMG why are ppl so retarded, right guys? XDDDD

Again, get your head out of your arse. Knowledge during 1st playthrough vs 2nd+ is incomparable. Should stop getting so uppity about how much more dumber people are compared to you desu
>>
What is the worst area in any souls game in your opinion? If you ask me Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith is the worst.
>>
File: Intestines.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
Intestines.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>342282171
here yha goo
>>
File: Hat_of_pharis+9.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
Hat_of_pharis+9.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>342284258
let me try this again heres a closer look

notice the features
>>
File: dog.jpg (7 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
7 KB, 480x360
>>342283272
Hey, it's that dog
>>
>>342284195
Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith is the worst. Shit level design shit bosses shit neon lava shit enemies shit everything. The only good thing about it is the fact that you can skip part of it.
>>
>>342284258
>>342284538
Lol, what did I expect from souls character creation. You got my hopes up for nothing, no offense
>>
File: bitches.jpg (989 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
bitches.jpg
989 KB, 2592x1936
>>342284538
here if ur curious too
>>
File: 1450710748155.gif (545 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
1450710748155.gif
545 KB, 500x275
>>342284020
>Ask for a real argument
>Get more tears
You're the one who replied to my post claiming I was lying, all I did was ask what was difficult. You still haven't given me any in game rational for what is difficult to comprehend. Instead all I see is you
A).Not having a counter argument
B).Reinforcing your inability to form a retort with insults
Pretty childish. Maybe you shouldn't get offended when people have better comprehension skills than you (As again, you're the one who came up to me crying because someone asked what is difficult to understand)
>>
>>342284538
i've got a poor man's lina inverse.
>>
>>342284258
>>342284538
Is it bad that i thought this was DS3
>>
>>342284848
oh yeah and my poise is like 56-58 somethings

>>342284782
none taken, at least i've got a bitchin' hat
>>
>>342263745
The only downsides I can think of are:

1. The cost of leveling increases and if you didn't level the stats you needed, you might pick up a new weapon that you want to use, find that you don't have the stats needed for it, and find that you're at a point where it will take a while to level up and get them.

1. You can get invaded more easily. I think? I'm pretty sure that you can only get invaded by people of a SL equal to or lower than yours, so by leveling, you can get invaded more. But this is only a downside if you don't want to get invaded and want to stay human and don't want to play offline, which is a troublesome combination anyway.
>>
File: Untitled.png (3 MB, 1280x1385) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
3 MB, 1280x1385
>>342285102
Even stole Brock's Sword of Light.
>>
op here i made it to the next bonfire with the blacksmith. you guys were right i should have saved the souls i farmed to upgrade my weapons/armor instead of levelling
>>
It caps out pretty fast. Gear and tactics are more important than level unless you're extremely overleveled or extremely underleveled.
>>
>>342287401
Basically you should primarily level to meet the requirements to use gear/spells.
Thread replies: 211
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.