[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: MMORPG.jpg (41 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
MMORPG.jpg
41 KB, 800x500
What went wrong?
>>
File: everything.png (178 KB, 564x333) Image search: [Google]
everything.png
178 KB, 564x333
>>
Nothing went wrong, really. It's just that people who used to play MMOs either grew up or are so jaded with MMO hopping trying to find that initial spark, and blame things like a lack of 'exploration' or 'community' when both are still very much alive.
>>
What people want and what people like are two different things. Devs made the mistake of listening to what people want, rather then what people like.

Everyone in an MMORPG WANTS cool shiny gear. Everyone WANTS something that makes them unique. Everyone WANTS to be awesome. But in reality, you have more fun wanting those things, and working towards those things, than actually having the thing it self.

The problem is, making everything too easy. Gives you a quick fix, and you're done with it.

Basically

>I see cookie>I want cookie>I get cookie

is far less satisfying in an MMORPG than

>I see cookie>I want cookie>I hear the cookie tastes amazing>I heard this guy got a cookie>lets go find some incredients to make the cookie>fuck me having the cookie would be amazing>dude I got half a fucking cookie, it's aweosme.
>>
>>342210643
Well said.
>>
>>342210327
which community?
>>
The golden age of mmorpg's has came and gone. People try to replicate the success of WoW and Runescape during 2003-2007 without knowing what made them so good. Early RS2 had hands down the best quests in an mmo.

Now, you have devs that make mmo's simply to milk people's money and see the product from a buisiness standpoint.

If you didn't play mmo's before 2009, you're a sucker and you'll never live the experience.
>>
the holy trinity is what kills any new MMO.
don't get me wrong i like the Trinity,but there can be so many games with the same mechanic.

reason why WoW and XIV are the only MMOs left that are profitable.

and the reason why companies stopped trying to make the new big MMO.

they moved on to Mobas. but it hasn't work out.
so now they just focus on making f2p mobile games.
>>
File: 1461286582292.png (96 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
1461286582292.png
96 KB, 220x220
>>342211691
>Runescape
>>
>>342212937
Runescape was hugely popular and is still going after 15 years. It must have done something right
>>
>>342209961
world of warcraft
>>
guild wars 1 died and they fucked 2
>>
File: chronicles-of-elyria.jpg (75 KB, 700x307) Image search: [Google]
chronicles-of-elyria.jpg
75 KB, 700x307
>>342209961
Stupid questing bullshit litters your screen with text and inventory with useless junk until you simply can't give a shit about the story, setting, and other players while you wander around hitting enemies that stand in the middle of a field for no fucking reason whose attack patterns are about as complex as Minecraft AI.

Thankfully this game should fix that, considering it's going to be a sandbox that has actual content. I hope.
>>
>>342209961
>What went wrong?
hard to say

people dont want to pour weeks into a game to get some satisfaction out of it so they play shit games like league or OW, which reward them much faster

its impossible to play any meaningful (if any) mmorpgs on the phone, which as a platform, is getting more and more playerbase

there's the kiddie market, who want everything THE BEST and they want it RIGHT NOW, which mmorpgs cant provide, unless the game wants to die fast

and then there are core issues with most of the released games, such as no late game content, boring leveling, hackers, goldseller spam and lack of viable/cool classes; all of these kill the playerbase over time
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.