[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Le "I hate romances" /v/ meme Can somebody explain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: jc222.jpg (69 KB, 595x303) Image search: [Google]
jc222.jpg
69 KB, 595x303
>Le "I hate romances" /v/ meme

Can somebody explain where this came from? Is /v/ just too underaged to have played Baldur's Gate 2 or something? Even one of the best written games, Planescape Torment, has romances. It was even handled quite decently with Alpha Protocol. I mean seriously, does /v/ have a problem with the way The Witcher handles romance?

If the first two Fallout games (my two favorite WRPGs) had romances, would they better games for it? Maybe, maybe not, but considering the quality of both games writing, it wouldn't have hurt.

So what's the deal, /v/?
>>
Agreed
>>
fist of all fuck your copy/paste threads

romance was never done right in a video game and never will
wasted development time that's all it is
>>
Viconia is best waifu
>>
>>342209696
>Le "I POSTED IT AGAIN XDXDXD" /v/ meme
>>
>>342209696
In fallout 2 you could marry someone.
>>
>>342210873
It was a joke marriage and Davin and Miria have as much personality as a block of wood
>>
>>342210947
Arguably so do most romances in games.
>>
/v/irgins hate anything that reminds them that they will never feel the tender touch of a woman.
>>
I don't like romance in general
>>
>>342209696
A game isn't made from it's relationship options. If you think it is then may I suggest playing a bioware game or dragon age.
>>
Honestly I've got no problem with it if it's a) well done and b) not fucking thrown at you with little to no warning

for badly done see: Zevran in DA:O and Anders in DA2
>>
>>342211002
legitimately this

they think romance is unrealistic because they don't think its possible for anyone to like them
>>
>>342211028
Pretty much this, the shit-tastic "romance" scenes in Mass Effect and Dragon Age were so hamfisted and poorly written that it was pretty easy to tell that it was written by virgins that'd never even spoken to the opposite (or same) sex.

And then we all saw Hamburger Hepler and our suspicions were confirmed.
>>
>>342209696
you go it wrong, people don't actually hate romances, they hate how shitty they are
>>
>>342211056
Which is sad cause I've even got chicks to like me and I have no doubts /v/ could too if they just tried
>>
File: Warcraft-Paula-Patton.jpg (42 KB, 617x412) Image search: [Google]
Warcraft-Paula-Patton.jpg
42 KB, 617x412
>romance ever

git the fuck out
>>
>>342209696
Romances are best when its understated and doesn't get in the way of the game.

Hell you don't even need a romance, just have a hot chick in a game giggle or flirt and the fans will make enough doujins/fanfics for it.
>>
I enjoy waifus in games
Romance is fun
>>
>>342211190
>>
>>342209696

They're basically impossible to do well until we have something approximating believable AI dictating responses. I love BG, but it was the warning no one listened to in regards to that shit. Now we know where people like Gaider wanted it to go. There's definitely a conflict, in the sense that a classic epic adventure storyline as is typical in cRPGs naturally would lead compatible characters to pursue sexual interests. The problem is they always, always come off as "Days of Our Lives" trash.

I really wish that amorphous ball of goo suggestion from Pillars of Eternity was implemented however.
>>
>>342211934
>He's a Pillars of Eternity cuck fan

kys
>>
>>342211623
how about you write something in your comment next time
>>
>>342209696
I think it's also worthwhile to look at literature as well. The same problem exists there, in that it's just really hard to write romance well. Accordingly, most great literature doesn't emphasize often. Take Pride and Prejudice as a more or less good example - there is a lot of conflict and if it does work out well it's not easy to get there. Film can get away with a lot due to voyeurism. We can tolerate bad dialogue if we can watch some sexual content. For me, the best solution is something along the lines of the movie Casablanca - there's history, there's emotion, but it's overridden by other things, even if it's a driving element of the story. It is not attained.
>>
>>342212053

Haven't played it, and it was a suggestion during development. Obsidian is notable for not liking romances in games.
>>
>>342211223
Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>342212673
I'm sure there's a girl that would like you if you actually let your personality be free
>>
>>342211223
Who is /v/ if not you?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.