[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So now that the dust has settled, what's /v/'s opinion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9
File: Skyward Sword.jpg (202 KB, 800x1129) Image search: [Google]
Skyward Sword.jpg
202 KB, 800x1129
So now that the dust has settled, what's /v/'s opinion on this gem?
>>
Good game wrapped in a terrible foil. The fact that it's Zelda is even worse.
>>
Its good but too linear. Motion wasn't bad as long as you actually moved your arm.
>>
Too much backtracking.

I'm not convinced motion controls were a bad idea per se but they were badly implemented.
>>
>>342208425
>good game
you sir, are retarded
>>
>>342208327
I liked it.
>>
Good game, but suffers greatly in pacing and shitty motion controls
I have zero desire to go back and play it and would recommend people just watch a play through of it
>>
You know how Breath of the Wild made every game at E3 look like crap?

Skyward Sword is the equivalent of that crap but with Zelda.
>>
pretty average outting from the franchise

highest production values and attention to detail of any game so far, but not very clever, the swordfighting only barely scratched its potential with a few good fights and most mooks being baby tier, but the complete lack of exploration wasn't any fun, and the handholding and gameplay interruptions completely ruined any sense of being engaged, then the on the rails sequences between dungeons sucked

weaker than MM, weaker than OOT, weaker than LTTP
better than TP
>>
>>342208327
shit controls
shit premise
shit enemies
monsters inc bosses
worst waifu in the entire zelda franchise

also, remember when miyamoto struggled with the controls during his e3 presentation, that shit was gold
>>
best zelda
>>
The entire game feels like a dungeon. Each area takes too long. The world is desolate.

That said, it had some cool and pretty ideas, like Skyloft, diving off of a cliff for your bird, and the timeshift stone things.
>>
File: 1466403206798.gif (980 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1466403206798.gif
980 KB, 480x360
>>342208327
Very legitimate 9/10 but not Zelda enough to appease expectations

By far the best proof motion control can be positive for a bigger game, as long as you had the Wii remote plus, from what I heard the Wii motion plus you plug into the remote could give people problems so thats easily the second most detrimental part next to it not being "Zelda" enough
>>
>>342208327
Fucking loved it. Itching to play it again but my whore mom sold all of my fucking video games.
>>
File: angery.gif (165 KB, 189x208) Image search: [Google]
angery.gif
165 KB, 189x208
by far the worst 3d zelda in my eyes. Yes worse than phantom hourglass and spirit tracks.
>>
>>342208787
Is it true that the devs of Xenoblade helped work on Lanayru desert and that's why it's the only area in the game that's actually good?
>>
>>342208327
Loved it. Yeah it's one of the weaker entries in the series but I still enjoyed it despite multiple issues.
>>
>>342209063
Something must have went right because it's all downhill after lanayru.
>>
File: 1465066238917.gif (916 KB, 490x367) Image search: [Google]
1465066238917.gif
916 KB, 490x367
>>342208713
Put some fucking back into it

2/10 bait
>>
>>342208327
Literally fucking terrible. 1.5/10, couldn't even get through the first 10 minutes of cutscenes before I decided to play COD instead.
>>
>>342208327
I really enjoyed it but I can easily see why people would dislike it
Fuck Tentalus tho
>>
File: 1460467885360.gif (621 KB, 440x247) Image search: [Google]
1460467885360.gif
621 KB, 440x247
>>342209257
This bait just might be bad enough to work
>>
The weakest 3D Zelda I've played yet (for reference, I've played every 3D Zelda with the exception of Spirit Tracks)

I guess that doesn't make it a bad game per se, but it completely missed the mark on everything I like about the series, so I found it very disappointing.

The handholding felt way too patronizing, the areas felt too straightforward, and I really didn't care about the plot so all the cutscenes just bored me.
>>
File: 1461390027883.gif (995 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1461390027883.gif
995 KB, 500x281
>>342209705
>you didn't care about the plot
>>
File: dick discussion.png (36 KB, 235x222) Image search: [Google]
dick discussion.png
36 KB, 235x222
>>342208327
Close to being the worst in the series, but the very vocal minority trying to slide it into positive view will say otherwise.

-The motion controls had potential, but were poorly implemented, leading to frustration, poor first impressions, and a feeling that the game is nothing more than a demo for Wiimotion+...which is honestly was.
-Combat comes down to "cut here" or "wait for this opening" which is honestly best left to traditional controls rather than waitin for a poor piece of hardware like the Wiimote to resynch and work properly
-Most of the characters try to come off as charming, but are instead annoying to anyone who didn't have this as their adolescence or childhood game.
-Most boring design choices in the series from the repeated areas to the smeary graphical style itself
-intrusive puzzles, not difficult just annoying and unintuitive.
-Imprisoned fights go from what you'd expect from a Zelda, to straight up annoying and gimmicky. Shame because it's a really neat enemy.

Like most MODERN Nintendo games, it's a few directorial choices away from being a solid title but falls into mediocrity to appeal to casuals and gimmick lovers. It's a god damn shame. I'd play it in the future if they released a version that didn't force motion controls.
>>
Groose is awesome. That's the only thing I can really say about it.
>>
>>342209878
Yeah the metacritic reviews really say the game wasn't spectacular... Unless you meant /v/s vocal minority loving this game but that's with everything

/v/ hates everything

They'll say oot was bad
>>
>>342208327

worse controls I've ever played. dragged myself through half of it before just not caring anymore. also terrible fucking dungeons, cap enemy design and variety, and an emptier world than ww. also lack of villages and sidequests is lame
>>
>>342208327

+ Great dungeons
+ Really liked the mini-worlds; they were like dungeons that dungeons were located into.
+ Nice how everyone on the island had their own little arc of interaction.
+ Boss-ass end fight.
+ Fucking scary-ass ghost-realm sentinel shits.

- Really bad 'overworld'
- Could just run over the final boss by having super invincibility potions on hand.

Wind Waker is still my favourite.
>>
>>342210221

Oh yeah and

- Really takes a while for the game to kick into gear and grab you.
>>
>>342208327
Dude it's crap just like every fucking Zelda game. Let's look more closely:
- Nintendo still stuck in the past, so we get damsel in distress once again
- laughable graphics, little texture filtering, looks 100x better on dolphin emulator
- Various critical bugs stayed unpatched for long periods
- Fucking short as hell

Just your average zelda ass cancer.
>>
Bad game, worst zelda 3d by far.
>>
>>342209824
Even as a big Zelda fan, I cannot for the life of me understand what anyone could get out of the plot.

It's the same recycled shit since ALttP and OoT. The characters aren't even interesting enough to make it worthwhile. The whole thing is just made even worse by the fact that it's supposed to be an origin story but it completely fails to show the origin of anything that anyone actually cares about, or it just completely glosses over the origin by throwing out a comment about it and leaving it at that.

Let's be real here, the Zelda world is not especially deep or interesting.
>>
People actually couldn't make the motion controls work? How uncoordinated are you? I always found it responsive and fun
>>
the only zelda i have never had any desire to replay
>>
>>342210468
Of course not but that doesn't take away from what was probably the most ambitious Zelda story in skyward sword
>>
>>342208327
Gets a lot of unnecessary hate. Going to the same areas repeatedly, the Imprisoned fights, and using the motions controls for flying and swimming weren't great, but everything else was.
>>
>>342210221
Fuck you
>>
bosses: cool
temples: okay
music: okay
visuals: not great
story: lame
content: bad

overall 5/10 game, worst 3D Zelda
>>
>>342210538
The motion controls were horrible. The combat using them was boring as fuck and really easy. They had to dumb down the enemies and the pace just so you could actually use them effectively
>>
Babbys first Zelda
>>
>>342210660
I don't know, can it even really be called ambitious beyond the sheer amount of cutscenes and such? The writing still seems to fall back on old habits too often for me to think of it as ambitious.

On top of that the only characters I really liked were Groose because he had genuine character development and Ghirahim because he was just fucking weird and I found that interesting.
>>
decent game marred by awful motion controls.
>>
>>342210221
majoras mask was the best game in the franchise
and how about
- Could just run over the final boss by having super invincibility potions on hand.
>>
>>342208327
The motion gimmick kills it. I made it through Koloktos and dropped it because I wasn't having fun. Nice graphics, nice music, ugly characters, Michael Jackson Link was funny and giant schnoz Zelda managed to be cute. Ghirahim is pretty cool and I hear you have to do the imprisoned three times so fuck that.
>>
>>342211369
This.
>>
>>342208327
I hated it day 1 and even after retrying it I still couldn't get myself to beat it. The new game looks great to me at least.
>>
>>342211726
the motion gimmick would have been 10x better if the fights were expanded to be more challenging and have more than just up/down/left/right blocks at a time, so the game constantly ramped up the number of techniques to master

instead the gimmick was barely explored and you just played DDR with your wiimote in like 3 different boss fights and the rest was all just spamming

god there was some good potential for those 1:1 controls but they fucked it up with everything just being moblins who guarded 1 direction at a time like retards
>>
>>342208906
Did you take her to court? Maybe she needs an intervention.
>>
>>342212104
I said that the motion gimmick killed it because it didn't work right half the time. Every time I would start to get immersed, something new and infuriating would get in the way, like landing in the circle at the beginning, or being forced to play the harp right when you first get it.
>>
The problem is that while the game had 1:1 motion tracking in general, it DIDN'T have 1:1 motion tracking for combat.

So like you could waggle the sword around and Link would do the same, but the moment you did anything that the game interpreted as an attacking gesture, Link would do a pre-programmed response that didn't follow your movements at all.

That's why you can't pull out of a swing once you've initiated it, for example.

So ultimately Link has the same attacking repetoire he always had, except instead of being able to reliably swing left by pressing Left + Attack, you instead had to fiddle with motion control which is far less reliable than basic button presses (and even when its working it is never as intuitive due to the desync between Link's sword and your movements whenever he attacks).

Ultimately I felt the 1:1 controls had the inverse of their intended effect: rather than increasing immersion, they made me LESS immersed because I had to continually think about the controller in my hand.
>>
Fun controls and great level design ruined by absolutely everything else in the game.

There's a great 15 to 20 hour game hidden in there beneath all the constant interruptions, pointless backtracking, fetch quests, constant tutorial, overly long intro and needlessly shoehorning motion controls into things that arent the sword.
>>
>>342210221
These are pretty much my thoughts minus WW being my favorite.

SS doesn't deserve half the shit it gets.
>>
weakest of the 3d console zeldas

had the forest and volcano been the quality of the desert, it would have been fantastic

the desert is one of the best areas in any zelda, but the volcano is one of the worst

game could really use a fourth area (snow or some shit)/night time on the surface, it feels really small without em

Fi is the worst companion in any video game, I'm enamored at the fact that BotW has no partners

a lot of the music is forgettable

good dungeon design overall

I felt the combat was good, not sure why people shit on it
>>
>>342213607
>I felt the combat was good, not sure why people shit on it

When the combat shined, it was really good. Moments like the duels with Ghirahim or the robot pirate fight were cool.

Problem is most enemies aren't nearly as interesting and usually you can just spam shield parries and absolutely destroy anything with a weapon, anything without a weapon is usually just "attack from a certain pre-determined direction that never changes" which isn't very interesting.

I'd put the combat at "really neat when it shines, had a lot of potential, but probably could have been just as interesting without the motion controls"

I can agree with the rest of that post, pretty dead on.
>>
File: spidey sick.jpg (26 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
spidey sick.jpg
26 KB, 500x364
I picked it up the other day and its an overall good game, but man I wish it had an option to play with an actual controller or something. I am 30 hours in, and I just got the Nayru's Flame
>>
>>342214184
warning you it only gets worse from here on...
>>
>>342214862
I had a weird feeling when I got that tracking ability upgrade upon getting the flame. I don't like the sound of that, but well I'll see what happens.
>>
>>342208327
A good game that was made somewhat shitty by motion controls.
But it's understandable, it was on the Wii, it had to use the Wii gimmick.
>>
>>342212596
Holy shit this. Wii Sports resort had a sword battle mode that was exactly how it should have been in SS, but for some reason they botched it with how he just attacks from one direction.
>>
File: 1447535811336.png (427 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
1447535811336.png
427 KB, 1280x1280
It's got some genuinely decent concepts and ideas, but through the usual nintendo bullshit things aren't explored very deeply and it's all very obtuse. Nothing is in a straight line and there's always a million steps to do anything.

the mine, the water, and the ship temple are really good though, and the 1v1 swordfights are neat
>>
>>342215641
Motion controls could be fun, but they fucked up all the pacing in combat due to accuracy issues and enemies that you have to stare at for a few seconds to reveal a direction to slash. Horrible design
>>
>>342208327
Still hate it with a fucking passion.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.