[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People dislike this? Why? I'm having fun so far
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 334x299) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 334x299
People dislike this?

Why?

I'm having fun so far
>>
>>342195391

I hope you like the time trial dungeon, because you get to do it 8 times, going slightly farther in it each time.
>>
>touch-only controls
>Temple of the Ocean King
>>
It's the most linear zelda game I've ever played.
>>
File: 1375942556508.png (230 KB, 490x734) Image search: [Google]
1375942556508.png
230 KB, 490x734
>>342195391
People dislike the fact that you have to go back to Temple of the Ocean King so many times.That is THE main flaw of the game. If you don't mind that, you'll probably continue to have fun.

Linebeck is best character with best theme.
>>
>>342195550
>>touch-only controls
are literally non-issue

>>Temple of the Ocean King
you open new entrances into deeper floors each time you come back

it's almost metroid-like with how it's designed be a breeze with later game unlocks
>>
>>342195391
for a DS game it's honestly not that bad, but the touch controls are a little dumb, and the fact you have to re-do the goddamn first parts of the main temple is so fucking annoying.

That said I've 100%ed it and liked a lot of the exploration.
>>
>>342196083
touch only controls are dumb when they are:
1. your only fucking option
2. the control scheme could easily be adapted to buttons
3. on anything but the XL DSes your hand is destined to block part of the screen while you're playing
4. scratches the shit out of the screen
5. has way more lag than buttons
>>
>>342195391
The soundtrack is my main issue, it's so awful compared to the rest of the series (especially ST, which has a fucking fantastic soundtrack)
>>
>>342195391
You haven't heard of the term "Celda" before?
>>
>>342196419
entire game is designed around drawing scribbles on a map -- not just with puzzles but also with weapons like boomerang and flying hammer

changing between stylus and buttons would get annoying fast

> on anything but the XL DSes your hand is destined to block part of the screen while you're playing
literally use stylus and/or pick left/right hand options
>>
"Gamers stopped demanding excellence from Nintendo after Wind Waker"? I'd say the real problem lies completely outside anything THEY did. There were tons of reasons Nintendo suffered in the sixth-generation, and it barely has anything to do with "the hated Celda".

For one, with help from the Spaceworlds, certain people were unwilling to accept deviation from expectation. The hardcores were expecting a Zelda game that looked like Metal Gear Solid and was something they'd never experienced before; an impossible expectation that befalls just about any sequel to a highly acclaimed piece of work from Godfather to Star Wars to Bioshock. It's only natural that the pickiest of critics would turn against anything that didn't fit with their hysterical ideals. A change in artstyle is not some kind of heresy, and the gameplay of Ocarina and Majora was still translated just fine to Wind Waker. Personally, I'm just shocked the fandom didn't freak out about saying "Zelda sucks now and is about masks" when Majora came out, as that game didn't get vindication until we were between DS Zeldas. I'm still shocked today.

For the second, the Gamecube did not come out in a vacuum. With the utter domination of the PlayStation 2, with its huge opening lineup and DVD player function, consumers didn't want to take a risk on any console that was even slightly inferior in comparison, and even fewer had money to own two sixth-gen consoles at the same time. Even the Xbox only barely managed to outsell the Gamecube on the merit of just being a PS2 without the DVD player, possessing a number of PS2 ports. Nintendo tried its hardest with games like Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, and others, but it was like running against the wind compared to its competition.
>>
>>342196880

For another, while Wind Waker has flaws, it's not like Ocarina was any different, and WW still had plenty of redeeming factors to counter the popular flashpoints.

-The oversized seas may have been somewhat barren, but they still had lots of content spread across it, topped off with plenty of methods to pander to psychopathic completionists, just like the smaller, but just as barren Hyrule Field.

-Link may have still been a mute, but here he's given plenty of visible emotions from a heavily expressive face, and an honest-to-goodness family he does his best to protect, with his starting motivation being to save his sister from kidnapping by a giant bird rather than any "divine choosing" from some old tree.

-The dungeons may have been few, but each one contained just enough unique setpieces, enemies and gimmicks to stay competitive with Ocarina. Though the first dungeon is rather simple because of the lack of items in earlygame, the game accelerates fast with the rest, and none of then suffer from any real backtracking in them.

-The enemies, thanks to the improved fluidity of Link's movement and the addition of the Parry mechanic, are no longer a chore to fight, and nothing cheap like Stalfos and Dark Link exists where it's a gamble whether you'll be able to beat them without resorting to something like unnecessary items or tanking damage.

-And though the graphics might not have been "realistic", the fandom still ended up turning on Twilight Princess regardless on an ironic accusation of being "Too modern". You yourself said it was "Passable for Gamecube standards", saying how you hated all the brown. With Wind Waker, get past the stigma against cartoons, and all the aesthetics are just amazing; from the dungeons, to the enemy designs, to the music, the game was just a sight to behold and a wonder to hear.

I think it's hilarious that while the remakes of Ocarina and Majora languish on the 3DS, Wind Waker gets the home console all to itself.
>>
File: 1265494269630.png (188 KB, 492x440) Image search: [Google]
1265494269630.png
188 KB, 492x440
>>342196971
>-The enemies, thanks to the improved fluidity of Link's movement and the addition of the Parry mechanic, are no longer a chore to fight, and nothing cheap like Stalfos and Dark Link exists where it's a gamble whether you'll be able to beat them without resorting to something like unnecessary items or tanking damage.
>Stalfos and Dark Link
>Cheap

Who wrote this?
>>
>>342195550
>>touch-only controls
using a boomrang,catbombs and sand thingy with it is pretty cool
>>Temple of the Ocean King
for like the first 3 time yeah but then you can skip most of the shit.
but the soundtrack is shit and its way too linear.
Linbeck a best
>>
Linebeck a best
>>
/v/ doesn't like games
>>
>>342197482
What? Stalfos just feel like their vulnerability opportunities lead to both you and it taking damage. As for Dark Link, Matthewmatosis basically summed up the problem with him as being "only defeatable through cheap, anticlimactic means and impossible to swordfight".
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.