[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never seen a thread about pic related. What do anons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2
File: SOMA.jpg (11 KB, 270x186) Image search: [Google]
SOMA.jpg
11 KB, 270x186
I've never seen a thread about pic related. What do anons think of this game? I personally have really enjoyed it, but i haven't quite finished it yet.
>>
It seems like a game that /v/ would like. Made by Frictional Games right? Penumbra and Amnesia?

I wanted a better deal on it during this summer GOG sale. I would have gotten it if so.
>>
>>342194861
It is a really good game. One of my favorite games of 2015, the psychological aspects and the characters are great.
>>
It's shit.
>>
>>342194669
I didn't like it. I was excited because of the Tetsuo leaning take on the "what separates man and machine" sci fi cliche, but the monsters aren't frightening in the least and the story (while occasionally a bit unsettling) generally is bland af.

When Thomas the Tank Engine's Shed 17 executes the horror part of your premise better than you something is wrong.
>>
>>342194861
Yeah i believe so. I got gifted it by a friend, its worth the $20 US or whatever it is.
>>342194975
Yeah, the atmosphere is amazing. I enjoy horror elements more than I imagined i would.
>>342195025
cheers for that.
>>
>>342194861
I didnt like Penumbra 1. Should I play the two others? Are they much better ?
>>
>>342194669

Its a huge fucking disappointment after amnesia

And im not talking about machine for pogs tier disappointment
Even bigger
>>
>>342195281
fair enough, you didn't find the weird static monster thing in that underwater boat a bit scary? He fucked with me haha.
>>
>>342195426
Never played Amnesia, is it really that good?
>>
The environment was nice, but the enemies dont work well in it. They were just fucking annoying, especially the "DONT LOOK AT ME!" kinds. In the sunken ship, you were forced to stare at walls while fumbling around. Toward the end getting to the space gun, that one faggot would get pissed if you looked in his direction through a fucking wall. Legitimately the best strategy for him was just fucking run past and open the door, get slapped by him, and then get up the ladder before he can hit you again (which is what I did after the fucker got mad at me for looking in his direction while squatting in the corner of a room).

Also that fucker in the theta labs with his blatant teleporting. Thankfully, you can sit behind an office chair and he wont see you, at least.
>>
>>342195368
The only good thing about Penumbra 1 is the story. The combat is horrible.

The good thing about the second one? Penumbra Black Plague? They removed the horrible combat. The great story remains. I enjoyed it more than Amnesia.

PLAY IT.
>>
>>342195676
Dark Descent is great and really scary if you dont try to break the game.

Machine for pig is alright at best if you just want atmosphere, but it's really just a rollercoaster/walking simulator.
>>
>>342195426
What? Why does it have good ratings then? I feel like people just didn't know about it.
>>
>>342195772
There is no combat in Black Plague? So it's more like Dark Descent where you just run away? Because, man fuck those dogs in Penumbra 1.
>>
>>342195752
yeah i'm in the theta labs right now. the thing i think i enjoy most is the story, and although i'm not into walking sims, i consider this to be one, so im conflicted on if its genuinely a good game
>>
>>342195909
No clunky combat. It's definitely the best one in the Penumbra series.

The 3rd one is just puzzles and stuff. Sort of like a spin-off game. You can try it out at least once if you liked Black Plague.
>>
I didn't like it, couldn't even finish it.

I found this especially odd because I loved the Penumbra games, liked TDD and finished AMfP. It just didn't do it for me.
>>
I really enjoyed the game. The concept of downloading all the data of the human brain blurs the lines of humanity.

The concept of the soul has been around forever. So has the concept of the self. People know that their brains as there, but for most there is this disassociation between the brain and the self.

As if all the things you imagine, believe, or dream exist outside of yourself. Maybe that's the soul?

But in reality those perceptions are the results of actions of the brain. So when the sum actions of the brain can be downloaded, with every though, lesson learned, experience, imagination, and dream, do you download the soul? Do you download that humanity? And more importantly does that diminish the humanity of the original brain?

It's a really interesting concept I think the game did really well
>>
I really enjoyed SOMA. That said, I really enjoy horror games generally. I can understand people who complain about the lack of gameplay somewhat, it was very story and atmosphere driven I found.

It's not the scariest game I've ever played, nowhere near Amnesia or Fatal Frame, but it was very enjoyable.
>>
>>342194669
this game is e-celeb bait like Amnesia.
>>
>When the game first came out and threads were full of people wading into babby's first existential crisis
I should never have majored in cognitive neuroscience
>>
>>342196187
yeah i guess that sums it up for me the best. I havent really played heaps of horror though, but its enjoyable for the plot for sure.
>>
>>342196187
Any other horror recommendations?

I really wanted to check out Stasis. The idea of an isometric horror adventure sounds really neat to me for some reason. It's still on sale on GOG. Maybe I should.
>>
>>342196036
Thanks, I'll try it then!
>>
Overture = Black Plague > The Dark Descent> Soma > Requiem > A Machine For Pigs

Black Plague would be better than Overture but I found Clarence annoying.
>>
>>342196202
>e-celeb bait
thats implying that anyone gives a fuck about e-celebs tho.
>>
>>342196602
Unfortunately they do.
>>
>>342196282
At least you didn't major in Psych
>it's a people try to diagnose other people with disorders that they know nothing about episode
>>
>>342196687
maybe i'm just projecting by denying. I've never understood the concept of fucking watching other cunts play video games, it hurts the mind.
>>
File: Clipboard01.jpg (61 KB, 648x323) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.jpg
61 KB, 648x323
>>342196560
Actually, nevermind. I'm going for it.
>>
>>342196772
Actually, it's fine watching others play, especially if they don't do so much talking.

But it has turned crap. One might say "commercialized". They scream and act oh-so-randum, and people eat it up. It's video games, and it's lowest common denominator entertainment.
>>
>>342197005
I don't agree with you, but thats fine. The only truly "acceptable" way in my opinion is if you are watching a friend play IRL.
>>
>>342196587
AMFP was such dogshit. I was so pissed off when I played it.
>>
>>342196560
Kholat is pretty good, very underrated imo. It's sort of similar to SOMA.
>>
>>342197528
Yeah AMFP was awful. Amnesia was good because of the atmosphere, the unknown, and not directly fucking confronting the monster 5 minutes in or being able to get a good look at it.

>>342196753
It's arguably a branch of psychology, just one of the more scientific ones I suppose. Psychology is a very broad church.
>>
>>342194669
Was okay. Not nearly as good as any of the Pnumbra games and itsoftware shitty 2deep4u mentality ruined the story for me
>>
>>342195368
the second game is great, the third is just a puzzle game. I don't think it's even related.
>>
>>342194669
I wish it had found a way to deliver more of it it's story through game mechanics rather than Simonstalking to himself. For example being able to copy yourself could have been a gameplay mechanic, with you using the copy to lure away the monster, being attacked/dieing and then going to the previous Simons' perspective as you watch "you" get torn apart . Of course that would make other parts less impactful, but you hopefully get what I'm going for. Under the paint it's still the same gameplay as Slender or similar.
>>
>>342194669

I as a bit disappointed that it the gameplay was definitely dumbed down but the story and setting more than makes up for it, the entire ship of Theseus theme was extremely interesting. Most of the monsters were quite disappointing also, but it's hard to make a sci-fi setting scary but they some how managed to turn it into existential horror but not really traditional horror
>>
>>342196150
The PHD-having tranny (Martine Rothblatt) who helped create Sirius Satellite Radio has a book about this happening irl called "Virtually Human."

All about how technological advances within the next 50 years will make it possible to download/replicate the entirety of personalities and memory.

Also there's sections on how they are taking lungs from organ donors who were too shitty to be used and rehabilitating them in a lab setting, so you basically could have nurseries full of organs just waiting for people to need them.
>>
>>342196772
If you look you can find lets players with virtually no views that just play through the game instead of commenting with face cam. I prefer that kind.
>>
>>342197602
and it has sean bean.
>>
>>342194669
That's because people tend to commit suicide after this game, so each time less and less people talk about it.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.