[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Secret of Mana
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: Secret of Mana.png (199 KB, 375x250) Image search: [Google]
Secret of Mana.png
199 KB, 375x250
Alright a/v/id gamers, I want you to tell me why this game isn't shit, and why people rank it so highly, putting it beside CT and FF6. I'll start by saying how it's shit. Disprove me.
>Macguffin plot
>Cardboard cutout characters
>only character arc in the entire game is with Dyluck (girl's boyfriend)
>Your mom is a tree
>Cumbersome menus
>Combat starts off strong, but gets worse as the game progresses. You can either wait ten years to attack once or chaincast bosses to death
>your mom is a tree
>can't finish the game without grinding two spells and finding a certain number of weapon upgrades (and NOT using them)
>Game tries to make you care about the Sprite at the end, even though it is literally a cardboard cutout
>YOUR MOM IS A TREE. THAT IS THE "PLOT TWIST"
>Nothing is ever properly explained. Not even the botanical nightmare of a treemom.
All I see elsewhere are nostalgiafags who praise it as one of the great RPG's of the SNES, but I played a cartridge shaped pile of shit. Confirm/deny.
>>
Secret of Evermore is one of the best rpg ever made. My 5 proves it.
>>
multitap
>>
Counterpoint: you're wrong.
>>
3 players. if you had friends. you had friends when you were a kid right op?
>>
File: nostalgia.jpg (233 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
nostalgia.jpg
233 KB, 750x600
People rank it so highly for the same reason as every other Square RPG. They played it when they were a kid and nostalgia over it. Seiken Densetsu 3 was an improvement over it in every way.
>>
>>342194214
I played it recently, not as a child, so singleplayer the whole way through. Didn't think to ask anyone to play with me.
>>
To be fair, the creators of Secret of Mana said they wanted to do a much larger story but had to keep things simple. Because it was hard enough just to get the combat engine working.

That said, the game should have gotten more development time. A few of the bugs make it unplayable.

>walk into a cave
>wolves hit you before you can even move
>keep hitting you endlessly on the ground until you die
>>
>>342193883
You are too filled with hate to enjoy good videogames, your perspective is invalid
>>
>>342193883
really the controls were fairly tight and it had local coop. it was like playing zelda with a pal back when link to the past was new shit, so it was fantastic.

any of these old ass games have flaws when you view them for a microscope. I think they tuned it heavily towards coop instead of you and retarded AI. Hence the grindage, it was really fun to just buddy up and clear caves. The second game was similar but they improved on it quite a bit.

Yeah it is goofy and youre fighting chicken-duck-woman things. I recently revisited this with a hard mode patch and found it stood up well now that ultranerds hexedited every move and creature.

>nothing is ever properly explained
You just summed up the generation gap in vidya. You can call me a nostalgiafag and I can accuse you of wanting handholding/stories.
Here's maddox to elaborate. Good day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utk2k8Z4bJE
>>
>>342194692
That's all well and good, but what I'm confused about is why people treat it like the second coming of fucking christ, when it has very clear flaws and objectively isn't great.
>>
>CT and FF6
>Implying either of these is great
>>
>>342193883
>>342194332
I don't really understand why people call this game an RPG. Even calling it an action RPG is a stretch.
This game is an adventure game.
I dont really understand why people see experience bars and level mechanics and label it an RPG.
Now that I think about it, most people think that RPG is an initialism for rocket propelled grenade but that's actually bullshit too, its a russian anti tank grenade.
>>
>>342194952
I don't want handholding in stores, there are plenty of good games that don't explain their stories and have you experience it as you go. The problem is that the characters have zero personality, and it's treated as some grand adventure, when the only things you KNOW are "Mana sword get, mana empire evil and returning". It tries to act like it has an epic plot, but falls flat.

As for the video, while Maddox gets some things right, I disagree with him on this. I enjoy storytelling, and games that perfectly mix gameplay and storytelling are a treat to play, which is what people claim Secret of Mana is. Which it isn't.
>>
CT, FF6 and SoM are all nice and well, but the real OGs know that Lufia 2 was the best SNES RPG.
>>
co-op made this game as fun as it was.
I can admit it was quite mediocre in every other regard, but still one of the better arpg's/ adventure games.

Illusion of gaia was better, by far.
>>
>>342195436

Squaresoft called it an ARPG. And we can have arguments all day about this, but the only thing that really makes games RPG anymore is stat based progression. Games like Seiken Densetsu were a large reason for that.
>>
It's a good game and a great multiplayer-RPG. But it's overrated as fuck.
>>
>>342195618
>>It tries to act like it has an epic plot, but falls flat.
Not sure I agree with that. The artwork and music is somewhat cinematic at times I suppose but I dont think they were trying to fool anyone.
>>...people claim Secret of Mana...
Dunno why we're waging war with unseen fans of the game who've somehow irked you, but those guys aren't here. You're safe. Delete the rom and say you've been redpilled.
The bottom line is it was a decent game for coop, it was basically a side scrolling beat-em-up, not a RPG. I personally won't be upset if someone else likes it more than I do though, because I'm an adult and I drink from an adult sized glass.
>>
>>342193883
Seiken Densetsu 3 is better and also ahead of its time (multiple routes, final bosses)
>>
File: LoTR_Vol1_chars.jpg (140 KB, 682x473) Image search: [Google]
LoTR_Vol1_chars.jpg
140 KB, 682x473
SNES needed more multitap RPG games
>>
>>342196569
I want to play that but I don't have any friends. Is it a lot better with co-op?
>>
>>342196909
The mos popular PC emulators have netplay, you could arrange it with friends, or engage in the super-secure practice of publishing your IP here on 4chan.
>>
File: 23169425.jpg (772 KB, 700x990) Image search: [Google]
23169425.jpg
772 KB, 700x990
I liked SoM but it was genuinely rushed and it shows pretty badly in a lot of areas.
>>
File: 1244187327462.jpg (9 KB, 251x235) Image search: [Google]
1244187327462.jpg
9 KB, 251x235
Secret of Evermore > Secret of Mana > SD3
>>
>>342194332
I liked SD2's music more
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.