[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Games that are actually good, despite your expectations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 16
Just played this. pretty good game.

>banham style combat, but actually brutal
>fun car combat
>good realistic view of mad max post apocalyptic austrailia
>13 unique and different areas
>well designed locations, each one different to the next, including little scavaging places.

solid game really.
some frame rate issues, but worth a playthrough
>>
>>342151585

>not the best car combat
>not the best melee combat
>cliche story and dialog

Yet I still loved it and can't explain why
>>
isn't it a bit late to shill it now?
>>
>>342151585
Solid game
100%ed it, no regrets
>>
>>342151585
I need this to go in sale for the Xbox
>>
I didn't like it at first.
If it has any flaws, its that it takes too long to get going. Car combat is a tedious frustrating slog for the first half of the game, if not longer, only finally leveling out once you've gotten deep into the upgrades. Even then, awkwardly shunting crashed wrecks until they explode for the sake of a few scraps is a bit tiresome.

Convoys are easily the best part of the game, I wanted more of those.
>>
>>342152212
>Convoys are easily the best part of the game
this, I wish they made those respawnable
>>
>>342151585
Needed less fistfights and more carfights, but apart from that I really enjoyed it too.
>>
File: Dying_Light_cover.jpg (30 KB, 284x351) Image search: [Google]
Dying_Light_cover.jpg
30 KB, 284x351
next game

>expected it to be dead island 2.5
>shit quest, combat and loot system.
>actually has a great quest system, good story, great combat.
>actually scary at times
>fun co-op and multiplayer.

>>342151938
shill because i enjoyed the game.
I expected it to be shit because it is a WB game, but actually it is a solid game.

>>342151785
>cliche story and dialog
actually it is not that bad, it portrays more that max actually went mad, psychosis and PTSD from his loss (like the original films) than the recent remake did.
>>
I really, really wanted to like it but it just didn't do it for me.
I don't begrudge anyone else liking it though.

I remember the exact point I gave up on it.
I liked the first Boss encounter, with the dude in the gimp mask.
I go to a completely different area and see a spot with a new boss, so I'm pumped.
I make my way up and its the same boss, except now he has paint on him and the arena is different.
Fuck that left a sour taste in my mouth.

Then there's some weird design decisions.
Like collecting worthless cars you'll never use in a game about suping up YOUR car that you're meant to be attached to.
Thirst and filling up your gas tank is never an issue, ever.

I don't know
>>
>>342152212
>>342152462
I just played it on the PS4 and have to log in every day for a online challenge just to get the plat.
for most of the car combat challenges I just spammed the convoys.
as long as you dont take out the leader they all respawn
>>
>>342152948
those boss ecounters wern't bosses really. they were mini bosses, the boss battles are in the main story.
1 or 2 car battle bosses too.
I agree fuel was never an issue unless you were using the sideburners which did wreck cars quick.
thirst was an issue at the beginning of the game, but when you have leveled max up, he takes loads of damage and never needs water.
>>
>>342153420
Mmm, maybe I'll give it another go someday.
Beginning of the game just felt really weak to me.
>>
File: 1356918538717.gif (961 KB, 250x197) Image search: [Google]
1356918538717.gif
961 KB, 250x197
I don't understand why they kill off Chumbucket and wreck the Magnum Opus only to immediately ignore it within half a minute for the sake of postgame playability. I feel like they could have made that work it little better, like maybe carry across the unlocks to the Interceptor and just handwave the feasibility of Max firing harpoons and repairing solo.

Also where the hell where the War Rigs? You see one, maybe two wrecks. For a game that takes quite a lot from Fury Road, they could have actually had them in game. I'd like to have seen a few longer post-game convoy routes in the vein of the Scrotus chase, but with the dump truck reskinned to War Rigs.

Also this game keeps highlighting the weird contradiction of Max knowing about the old world but people his age or older seemingly having no memory of it at all, particularly Chumbucket. There was something of that in Fury Road too - Furiosa was raised in some kind of post-apocalyptic female warrior society yet Max was still presumably a pre-apocalyptic cop in that timeline?
>>
>enjoy it, girlfriend loves it because she can pretend she's playing a Hokuto no Ken game
>I only play a few hours before the repetition sets in but I liked the unique elements that distinguish it from AssCreed and so on

>Come home the day my girlfriend beat it and she's crying her eyes out
>Ask why
>"MAX KILLED CHUMBUCKET!"
Women are fucking weird
>>
>>342151585
Vehicle combat was lackluster.
The only part they absolutely needed to get right and they blew it.
The guided missile harpoon launcher was just stupid and you couldn't move and fight on top of vehicles.

No huge vehicles like trucks.

Melee combat got annoying quickly and exploration was pointless since everything is marked on your map already.

The setting was too edgy for mad max. What's with all the corpses everywhere? It's Mad Max not Warhammer.

There were quite a few good elements but they were overshadowed by the overall mediocrity.
>>
>>342154389
>What's with all the corpses everywhere?

I thought so too. Ritual dismemberment is not something you'd associate with the setting in any of the movies, even Fury Road.
Where would you even get that many bodies from?
>>
File: 1411132430696.png (95 KB, 227x227) Image search: [Google]
1411132430696.png
95 KB, 227x227
>>342153996
i agree with all this
just to add about max knowing about pre-apoc and other people not knowing: not all areas and groups went crazy at the same time. it was kind of a slow-burn apocalypse where some places went to hell at different times, until the missiles flew then EVERYWHERE went nuts
>>
>>342153996
>Also this game keeps highlighting the weird contradiction of Max knowing about the old world but people his age or older seemingly having no memory of it at all, particularly Chumbucket. There was something of that in Fury Road too - Furiosa was raised in some kind of post-apocalyptic female warrior society yet Max was still presumably a pre-apocalyptic cop in that timeline?
it's because Max is supposed to be a mythical wasteland Jesus, the player/viewer's human portal into the fucked up world
>>
Warner Brothers hit gold with that Arkham fighting style and then again with the Nemesis system. I'm looking forward to seeing how they use that shit going forward.
>>
I cried when waifu and daughterfu died even though it was obvious it was coming

Goddamnit
>>
File: CC-141-127-800.jpg (391 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
CC-141-127-800.jpg
391 KB, 800x600
Where do these motor gangs keep finding those sweet retro cars and streamlined art-deco trucks? Was Jay Leno's house in the area?
>>
>>342153996
It's because Max was a cop in a society that was still somewhat civilized, not everywhere was fucked up at once

watch the first movie, you'll see what I mean- he was in a fairly civilized part of Australia but it was already "after the fall", so to speak
>>
>>342155464
yeah I agree, it is funny that you wouldn't;t expect WB to be publishing such actual quality games,

>>342155849
this
I remember his family got killed and he went mad and on a kill frenzy
>>
>>342155849
I recall in the background of one shot when one of the cops gets killed, you can see a bustling highway full of cars near the horizon. Not sure if that was a low-budget goof or intentional though.
>>
>>342155981

>be 8 years old
>watch road warrior
>wow this is awesome
>watch beyond thunderdome
>near but not as good
>at blockbuster
>see the original movie (which I didn't know existed - I thought it road warrior was the first one)
>rent it
>good but depressing
>>
>>342152783
Shame about the characters in this game. They are so fucking boring.
>>
File: Mad Max 2 Theatrical Poster.jpg (89 KB, 678x960) Image search: [Google]
Mad Max 2 Theatrical Poster.jpg
89 KB, 678x960
>>342151585
>motorcycles
>war rigs
>multiplayer where you play War Boys and fight other factions
>improve the melee combat drastically because it sucked hard
All it needed to be literally perfect
>>
>>342156275

The only neat ones were the twin engineer bros and their dad

The villain was comically evil like fucking Voldermort. Waifu was generic but neat but you didn't spend much time with her.
>>
>>342156228
I watched them for the first time recently. The first one is actually quite bad. I loved the second one though and I see why it was so influential, there's just a huge gap in quality between 1 and 2.
>>
>>342156436

I wish someone would mod in multiplayer like they did with Just Cause 2
>>
>>342151585
Even though I really enjoyed driving around and upgrading the car and all that, once you get out of the car the game is a fucking chore. Getting up in the air balloons, running around the fucking camps, combat gets stale quick. What a fucking mess. Ended up uninstalling it.
>>
>>342156625

You have to remember the first one was made literally with a budget of like $300,000. But the chase scenes were pretty good.
>>
File: BRADYBUNCH.png (67 KB, 193x181) Image search: [Google]
BRADYBUNCH.png
67 KB, 193x181
>>342151585
I fucking love this game, It's the best thing available as far as open car sandbox games.
The only thing i absolutely hate getting used to is the steering latency.
I know it's suppose to be somewhat realistic but it fucks up my timing immediately when i get in the game.
Also for being just mostly open deserts, and dirt fields they did a surprisingly amazing job with the different kinds of deserts and explorable places.

Also i really wish there was vehicle DLC for this game, Like motorcycles, Big rigs ect ect.
To bad they just dumped the game after release.

Listening to all of Led Zeppelin while playing this game is fucking match made in heaven, I recommend giving it a try.

>Just fucking around in the game
>This song turns on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQmmM_qwG4k&index=2&list=PLWRhxvQASiJ4tX7B3fK2cDU9FnHjWp1Ih
>All hell breaks loose
>>
>>342156625
>The first one is actually quite bad.
It really just suffered from complete lack of budget and in retrospect coming off as being completely inconsistent with the rest of the series. Also that lengthy boring middle chunk.

Beyond Thunderdome is much worse in my opinion. Setting it in a world where the gasoline has entirely run out was a terrible idea. They established that from the first scene and I immediately lost interest.
>>
File: Mad Max Poster Large.jpg (3 MB, 2009x3000) Image search: [Google]
Mad Max Poster Large.jpg
3 MB, 2009x3000
>>342153996
I prefer the fan theory where Max is crazy and every story is him reliving pieces of his life before Toecutter fucked his life up. Certain characters are repeated. Miss Guinea, the old lady with the shotgun, both get "run down" by Toecutter. Immortan Joe is played by the same actor.
Blaster and the big burly mentally handicapped guy in the first movie play similar roles.
Furiosa, the warrior chick in Road Warrior, and Max's wife all are pretty strong people, mentally, and play significant roles in each retelling of the story.
Wez and Humungus and most of the raiders being gay, or simply not giving a fuck anymore, may reveal pieces of Max's out of touch sexuality. This could be hinted at, with Goose and Wez suffering similar fates, motorcycle crashes and Wez's dead lover that sets him off the edge. (When Goose gets fucked with by that bikie may be a similar incident.)

So yeah, all of the series may not have ever happened. The whole thing could be in Max's head. Which makes sense, given that an apocalypse where oil and gasoline are a thing makes no sense at all. If world trade breaks down, gasoline reserves are going to deplete rapidly. Gas already decays when you leave it lying around. But in Max's head, cars are important to his life. He's a cop in a pretty rural area, with little access to social resources. So the mechanic, the cars, are pretty important to everyone. It's like that here in Rural Canada. So when Max's life falls apart, he deals with it by conjuring up a fantasy apocalypse where the whole world dies, because his family dies.

He's really mad.
>>
>>342151585
Don't forget that it's beautifully optimized, making it an absolute pleasure to play just based on how it runs so smoothly at max graphics
>>
>>342157593
I got 40 FPS on max settings at 4k on a 970. But that could be because there's not much to render in a desert.
>>
>>342157327
>the steering latency.
not so much steering latency just a handling progression system.
if you put the best sand tires on, suspension, take off all armour and ram and have the top V8 engine it is too responsive.
you need to balance weight with the Horse power and handling. I think body type matters too.
though it is not that complicated, like a race sim.
the archangels had a sweet set up and drove so well for what they were designed for.
>>
>>342157438
>Beyond Thunderdome is much worse

That movie was stupid great. Isin't really even that good structure/script/ect/ect, But it takes you pretty much everywhere in the mad max universe.
All though i'll admit that jungle shit was pretty funny.

WHO RUN BARTERTOWN?
>>
The game was just fun enough to keep going but it's hard to call it good. Vehicle combat boiling down to nitro boosting into enemies or later rocket harpooning until they explode was shit.

The point about Max remembering the past but others not comes from both that by now he's pretty old and also that everyone's lost their minds and ironically he hasn't despite how hard he tries to forget.
>>
>>342157327
>>342157809
>the steering latency
I ended up driving the truck in first person because seeing Max's hands turn the wheel made steering easier. The delay was like a cruise ship.
>>
>>342157438
What are you on about?

I just watched that movie for the first time last night and maybe I wasn't paying well enough attention (I was multitasking through parts of the movie) but doesn't the chase scene at the end with the plane and vehicles confirm gas is still around? That shit doesn't run on methane.
>>
>>342151585
>bam ham combat
>Ubisoft esque open world
>side quests are the same 4 quests repeated 3 times for each HQ
>world is barren after doing them, maybe you find two cars running around, but that's it
>grinding
>car combat is trivialized by the harpoon where you can just rip out wheels
>''bosses'' are literally the same an optional
One of the most generic games i've ever played, seems like a reskin of Assassins Creed, Batman or Shadows of Mordor but with cars.
Really boring.
>>
>>342157809
I know that some changes i made- made differences, But shit i didn't know they actually made those drastic of changes.
I play it off and on, And when i do i usually just cruise. Still have a shit ton of objectives to do.
>>
>>342156059
I have a feeling its just because the movie had such a low budget that they had no real way to make sure there were no other cars on a busy highway. They probably just shot near it and its not an intentional addition. Not that it matters though, as stated before it was still a semi-civilized part of Australia before shit really hit the fan and Max fucked off into the bush.
>>
File: panic.png (162 KB, 297x314) Image search: [Google]
panic.png
162 KB, 297x314
>>342158092
>first person while doing any mission

That shit is on a whole other level.
>>
>>342158092
>The delay was like an American muscle car
Fixed.
>>
>>342158409
>That shit is on a whole other level.
The fuck are you talking about, it's just a first person camera.
>>
>>342156228
>watched 1st one and the 3rd one in the TV
>always wondered why people are hyped for the Fury Road since mad max is shit

I have realised my mistake when I watched it and the 2nd one.

This are almost like 2 different series
>>
>>342151585
Boring piece of shit.
Props to the shills though, they tried really hard to force this game for 2 weeks before giving up.
>>
File: Fury Road Inspired Artists.jpg (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Fury Road Inspired Artists.jpg
4 MB, 1920x1080
>>342158609
>>342156228
>>342156625
Fury Road > Road Warrior > Mad Max > Days of Thunder > Beyond Thunderdome
>>
>>342158409
First-person really isn't practical though - the super-wide field of view made me feel like I was driving a letter box, and most of the cars had such jacked-up hoods/bonnets you basically steered by tall landmarks on the horizon because there was no way you could see the road unless you were going downhill
>>
>>342158180
yeah they make a massive difference.
stuff like suspension height makes you take and give more damage grinding, or rm and armour gives you better side ram power.
the main thing is weight.
I would just change mine on the fly, cruising round fast with no weight then when I was getting into a battle put my best armour and ram on. which broke immersion but whatever it's a game
>>
File: 2015-09-21_00001.jpg (351 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-21_00001.jpg
351 KB, 1920x1080
>>342158968
>favorite car was The Twelve
>You could see approximately six inches up and down because the top was chopped
>you can see less shit than ray charles in first person
>>
>>342151585
After knowing the concept, and hearing some of the experiences on /v/ of it, I had a fair bit of hype for it when I finally bought it.

It's a fucking dog turd. The only excitement was from convoys which never respawn. Everything else is spent trying to upgrade your car for higher performance that you'll never have a use for since the world is completely barren with nothing to do. For some reason I always find myself comparing it to Shadow of Mordor, but at least that had a bit more fun going with the Nemesis System in it.
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 300x168
>>342159102
>this thing in first person
>>
>there are people that didn't exclusively drive in first person

Sure, it was less practical but so much more immersive. Loved looking out at the rising sun in my spike cover chrome mobile
>>
>>342158968
>First-person really isn't practical though
yeah but you get to see max pull his shotgun out and blast a warboy right in the mushky at full speed and that is worth it.
plus you can check on ya bro chumbucket riding thunderpoon in the back seat
>>
>>342159325
>immersive
>turn the camera far enough and you're staring Max in the face like you're sitting on his lap
>>
File: State-of-Decay.jpg (214 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
State-of-Decay.jpg
214 KB, 1280x720
>>342151585
>cheap
>indie
Expected it to be bad, but I didn't give a shit.
>actually had an intriguing design
>patches gave actually good improvements
>combat was fun
>stealth and sound systems were simple and easy to grasp
>cheesy, almost non-existent story
>scavenging and base building were legit fun
>DLCs were good
>a sequel is coming
>>
File: url.jpg (10 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
10 KB, 300x168
>no armour, fender, or spikes of any kind
>>
>>342159957
agree with all that got it on day one and expected it to be meh. apart from the dated indie visuals and the meta, loosing your characters stuff it was a good game.
>>
>>342151585
I wanted to like it.
I finished it, waiting for it to be enjoyable, but every non-combat car upgrade felt unsatisfying.
The most memorable and enjoyable part were convoys though. I did all of those as soon as possible.
>>
File: 1435893475830.jpg (60 KB, 255x305) Image search: [Google]
1435893475830.jpg
60 KB, 255x305
>>342157887
MASTER-BLASTER RUNS BARTERTOWN
>>
If I was going to buy a game looking for a sandbox experience in the steam sale, should I get this or AssCreed IV
>>
>>342162325
Assassins Creed 4, best pirate game ever made, much more things to do too.
>>
>>342151585
Good game, but boring grinding bullshit.
>>
File: 1402388995249.gif (2 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1402388995249.gif
2 MB, 480x360
>jump out of fiery wreck
>get run over and pushed away from the cover of the magnum opus
>get run over again by second car as Max is standing up
>get hit by first car again
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.