[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aside from Doom 2016, what are some recent single player first-person
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
File: half-life.jpg (225 KB, 305x437) Image search: [Google]
half-life.jpg
225 KB, 305x437
Aside from Doom 2016, what are some recent single player first-person shooters that play like old FPS games like Quake, Half-Life, Duke Nukem 3D?

It seems like the very few single player focused FPS games are all "realistic" slow-paced crawling from cover to cover with shaky cam that also forces iron sights or you wont hit shit.
I just want to go fast and click heads.
>>
File: photo.png (32 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
photo.png
32 KB, 200x200
None sadly
>>
>>342147773

Serious sam

Fear

Painkiller

you wont find much else because the fps genre has been dead for over 10 years. Probably the deadest genre in videogames if you actually have tastes and higher standards for FPS. Nudoom doesn't count.
>>
>>342147773
Doom 2016 doesn't play like an old FPS. It plays like painkiller and serious sam, middle-era or I guess you could call medieval FPS.

There aren't really any recent games I know of that fit your description.

The game that I had the most fun shooting things in recently that most people have never played is Psi-Ops for playstation 2. It's third person but you should still play it.
>>
File: QuakeChampions.jpg (31 KB, 864x486) Image search: [Google]
QuakeChampions.jpg
31 KB, 864x486
>>342147773
The closest I can think of was Wolfenstein The New Order, which I thoroughly enjoyed but still had unnecessary modern elements such as ironsights.

Honestly, I don't think even bethesda realized what they had with Doom 2016, as the next classic shooter they greenlit is a new Quake game that will apparently be a class based shooter mostly made by the team that made Inversion.
>>
Wolfenstein The New Order was surprisingly good in that regard. A true breath of fresh air for the general shit that is modern FPS.
>>
>>342148447
stop believing random crap you read here. why would id software not develop quake? lol

it's already confirmed to have all classic quake gameplay and modes including strafejumping and shit.
>>
There are enough Doom WADs for your family tree to play for five generations straight and you still will have new WADs to play
>>
Blood
Shadow Warrior

Basically everything on Build, GOLDSRC, Quake, Doom engines
>>
>>342149235
.....or you could play quake shit and have a lot more fun with a lot more degrees of freedom and movement

really, people here need to let go of doom, it's an extremely limited game. i'm not sure what it is about it, i guess the design is more or less timeless, while quake directly reflects the angst and caustic attitude of the mid 90s white nerd culture

a lot of people don't seem to "get" quake's design which is very dissonant indeed, but it's a reflection of the way people felt at the time. quake is basically nine inch nails: the game to be honest, the fact that the soundtrack came between the downward spiral the fragile makes it pretty much one of the most important pieces of NIN work. Trent Reznor was on the verge of ODing to death on heroin a few days a month during this time
>>
>>342149153
Got a source then, stranger? Tim Willits said on stage that this will be a "hero-based" shooter, (albeit he could have just mispoke) and Sabre interactive is developing the game alongside id, who would have been busy making Doom.
>>
>>342149585
>would have been busy making Doom
you have no idea about the release date for quake and i doubt it's before q3 2017. id software is a huge developer with hundreds of staff.

the source for it having classic modes etc is also tim willits, not on stage.
>>
Shadow Warrior was great
>>
>>342149481
Everything is fucking brown and enemies are horrible bulletsponges that need 3+ supershotgun hits to get killed. The only thing that speaks for Quake now are the level designs.
>>
File: DoomGuy.png (97 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
DoomGuy.png
97 KB, 400x300
>>342149481
Quake's good, but Doom (the first game at least) and it's fan community through WADs are better. There's a reason that those two games still have the following they do, and still have fan content regularly made.
>>
doom 2016 doesnt feel oldschool at all
what the blue fuck you talking about
if anything it reminds me about metroid prime and not the good part of metroid prime it is like metroid prime with down syndrome.
>>
>>342149969
Well I haven't bought it yet because of it's high price tag.
I was trying to find alternate games to play while waiting for the price to drop.
It did look fast paced.
>>
>>342149969
I played only a bit of the demo and it felt like a mix of Painkiller and Rage to me. You get the dynamic enemies from Rage and Painkiller style arenas consisting of locked down rooms till you kill all the enemies, just smaller in scale.
>>
File: uwhiudh802.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
uwhiudh802.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>342150183
Want to play something oldschool
Play my webm game.
http://sol-contingency.com/
game is free too
>>
>>342149809
>bullet sponge quake guy
oh my god PLEASE go you are in every fucking thread jesus christ THE SUPER SHOTGUN FROM QUAKE IS NOT THE SUPER SHOTGUN FROM DOOM IT'S A WEAK WEAPON BECAUSE YOU CAN MOVE AROUND 3 TIMES AS FLEXIBLY

>>342149946
The quality/professionalism/capabilities of quake mods far exceeds what is possible with doom, sorry. just gonna have to completely disagree there.

>>342150249
the combat isn't as fun as rage :( enemies do ridiculously overpowered damage because you're supposed to be picking up health constantly. in rage you feel badass.
>>
>>342149969
I'm convinced that Doom 2016 is made to be resemble what remember the original doom as rather than what the original doom actually is
>>
>>342150753
>THE SUPER SHOTGUN FROM QUAKE IS NOT THE SUPER SHOTGUN FROM DOOM IT'S A WEAK WEAPON BECAUSE YOU CAN MOVE AROUND 3 TIMES AS FLEXIBLY

But the rooms are hardly ever designed for you to hop around. Giving enemies more hp is just a lazy difficulty design tbqhfam.
>>
>>342147773
Shadow Warrior 2013 kind of

It's a better "old school" shooter than Wolfenstein TNO though, that's for damn sure
>>
>>342147773
>slow-paced crawling from cover to cover
Because FPS are all designed for console now. Console gamepads are poorly suited to circle strafing or jumping one way while turning the other way and shooting at the same time, in a precise manner.
>>
>>342149585
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvDyLCadGGY
>>
Black Mesa
>>
>>342151053
>But the rooms are hardly ever designed for you to hop around

>i'm not good enough to circle strafe
>>
Serious Sam 3 is probably the most oldschool FPS in recent years.
>>
>>342151137
>It's a better "old school" shooter than Wolfenstein TNO though, that's for damn sure
I see a lot of people say stuff like this, but was TNO even intended to be an "old school" shooter like Shadow Warrior or Doom 4? The game feels more so like it was developed as a modern shooter that features a few old school characteristics in terms of gameplay as a nod to the franchise's legacy.

After Doom 4, I'm curious to see what kind of direction Machine Games decided to take TNO's sequel in.
>>
File: 1462478990030.png (572 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1462478990030.png
572 KB, 1280x800
>>342149481
Quake's guns are the reason I can't get into the game. And in a first person shooter, especially an oldschool one, guns are top priority.
>>
File: Quake.jpg (29 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Quake.jpg
29 KB, 500x500
>>342151487
Thanks. I'm much more interested in the new Quake after that, glad they cleared things up.
>>342150753
Fair enough, different strokes for different folks. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Quake a good deal (especially the first one), but it just never grabbed me they way Doom did.
>>
>>342153838
I love Serious Sam, but I just couldn't get into BFE. The first half felt like Sam was dropped into some shitty COD-clone environment, and the second just felt like a remake of The First Encounter.
>>
>>342155287
Fair enough.
I didn't mind the second half because I love Egypt and can't get enough of it
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.