[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Doom would be a good game if it didn't have the melee
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: Doom_Cover.jpg (65 KB, 260x370) Image search: [Google]
Doom_Cover.jpg
65 KB, 260x370
New Doom would be a good game if it didn't have the melee system: basically everytime an enemy loses X hp they become stunned for a very long duration, during that time the melee is a one hit kill that also makes the enemy drop hp, you can easily go from nearly dead to half full in a matter of second during you, you are invulnerable during the animation so there is no risk involved and it can cut the amount of ammo you spend to kill something by 50%

So combat is about using it as much as possible and you spend a great deal of time stuck watching the same animations, it's constnatly breaking flow.
>>
then turn it off, turn off the glow thing, and get fucking good.
>>
I like the animations because they give me half a second in the middle of a fight to figure out how to not die.
>>
>>342147581
i found out you can target different parts of the body for a new animation when you glory kill..two thirds through the game.....fuck
>>
>>342147581
This opinon is really moot because it's woven in the game design to actually keep up the flow and speed.

You run around shoot and gore kill to get back your ammo and repeat. by the end of the game you're more often than not killing them with weapons since you do too much damage anyway.

the game is really solid and fun as dicks..
>>
>>342147581
It's balanced in nightmare. There are enough tough enemies and dudes with ranged attacks that you have to think about when you do a melee kill. The health gained isn't extreme so that helps.
>>
>>342147703
I played with just about every helper hint turned off. You still spend half of combat stuck in a cutscene it's not like it's hard to tell when an enemy faulters.

>>342147930
How is the game stopping to give you a cutscene good flow and speed? You get into an intense situation, than you stop and watch some animation you've seen a hundred times before. The ammo/health replinish completly casualizes the combat. There is no longer any long term ammo conservation or having to change your play style based on your hp pool since your resources get replinished every fight.

It's basically regenerating health and infinite ammo but with the extra bonus of getting to be invunerable for 50% of the fight.
>>
File: 1389127144044.gif (2 MB, 500x390) Image search: [Google]
1389127144044.gif
2 MB, 500x390
>>342147581
Don't use them. Take off your F key if you have some sort of trouble or mental issues.
>>
>>342149463
As another annon pointe d ut the game is designed around it. Enemies hp is more bloated and ammo is lower because you are supposed to be using an infinite ammo 1-hit kill. It's like trying to play classic doom without ever using the shotgun.
>>
>>342147581

If you actually use the glory kills, you wont even make it through the first or second level on higher difficulties.
>>
>>342149849
Thanks. I didn't select those at first because I assumed the red text meant they were locked.

Game is a lot better on these.
>>
I liked what the glory kills did to the flow, they encouraged you to get close to finish the enemies off, which meant moving around a lot instead of just circle strafing.
>>
>glory kills are cutscenes
It amazes me how retarded people here can be. A 1.5 second canned animation is not a cutscene.
>>
>>342151738
No! They're QTEs that activate cutscenes and you should feel triggered by them!
>>
File: 887645chaingun.png (2 MB, 1235x658) Image search: [Google]
887645chaingun.png
2 MB, 1235x658
What's a glory kill?
>>
>>342151738
Autism is a hell of a drug, anon.
>Hating on nuDoom
Yeah, nah, nigga. This is the best fps single player experience in recent years
>>
If your playing on ultra violence or especially nightmare, launching into glory kills can often get you killed or leave you worse off than you were before. It does become more useful once upgraded for longer stagger and faster animation if you choose to use those runes.

I only used them on possessed in between fights or if you know you're out of los from other enemies and need the hp/armor.

Also enemies are nearly dead before the animation plays so it doesn't save much ammo especially on later game enemies.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.