[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it legal to pirate a game if you already own it? I kinda
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: Capture.png (511 KB, 936x1074) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
511 KB, 936x1074
Is it legal to pirate a game if you already own it?

I kinda just want the GOG version.
>>
No

But who gives a shit go ahead
>>
File: 1465882779004.jpg (25 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1465882779004.jpg
25 KB, 500x375
>>342073085
>>
>>342073085
Technically you don't own anything on Steam, so no.

Even if you do own it, it's still illegal to pirate it
>>
I believe the law is on your side here. If you legally purchased the game, you're entitled to one backup copy just incase anything happens. This was always part of the EULA in console games, and I believe the European Consumer Union backed it up similarly.
>>
>>342073085
You don't own steam games you pay to basically rent the license.
>>
It's more ethical to pirate vtmb than buy it anyway
>>
Why do you care, do it anyway. Why do you want the GoG version anyway, or rather why do you have the Steam version.
>>
>>342073252
>>342073238

>you don't own the games

>I've never heard of 2010 Valve versus Goldstein
>>
>>342073385
>Why do you want the GoG version anyway

It has the patches I use already pre-installed.

>why do you have the Steam version

I was already using steam when I got roped into playing it due to seeing all of the threads about it here.
>>
Of course it's not. Do you think it would be okay to buy a game on console and then steal the PC version so you can get free expansiona and all the DLC? I paid for it once ($40) and now I'm entitled to $200 worth of content?
>>
>>342073243

You're entitled to make a backup of YOUR copy.

Downloading someone else's off the internet is not your copy.
>>
>>342073085
GOG has a thing where games can be ported over from Steam to GOG for free but only certain games and it's kind of dumb how the games are only available for maybe a week or so.
I want to get gog's BGEE 1/2 so I can multiplayer it with my friend and not have mods break every patch which for some fucking reason Steam removed the "never update" option for games.
And I don't want to have to pay for both the games again, especially not to a company that thinks agenda pushing is okay so I'm gonna pirate them until GOG has them on its connect thing and then do it legit then.
Regardless, nigga who cares?
>>
>>342073085
You have to buy it again faggot
otherwise youre destroying the fucking industry
>>
>>342073897
This. Be sure to buy Skyrim Remastered too.
>>
>>342073238
Technically you don't own games that you bought on physical media either.
>>
>>342073979
But I already have it. I get it for free.
>>
>>342073085
>Is it legal to pirate a game if you already own it?
No, but do it anyway - it's both morally right, and Troika is dead so fuck buying that game again (unless you want to give money to GOG)

>>342073818
>which for some fucking reason Steam removed the "never update" option for games.
This.
>>
>>342073668

They're both the same game, so if it's in my possession, it's my copy.
>>
>>342073085
I don't think anyone cares either way. Shit in my country it's illegal to even access a piracy website, thanks to the shitty Ministry of Sound. I still use proxies though.

I just tell myself, it's like veganism. The meat is still sold to the shop you buy it from - the guys doing the MURDER already got paid, not eating it is merely hurting the guy who provides you with your soyashit alternatives instead.

It's not stealing if it's just a copy, right? You didn't steal the original copy! You were never gonna buy it regardless of piracy being a thing so you've not taken money from anyone..

..I'm sure the courts will view it the same way!
>>
>>342073085

>pirate a game

NIGGA WHAT ARE YOU DOING
>>
>>342073085
Don't do it, Anon.
You'd be taking money away from Activision, the publisher that rushed the development, released it on the same day as Half-Life 2 and then killed the developers, they need that money you heartless monster.
>>
>>342074072
I read somewhere that EA has the rights to take all your EA titles off you if you fuck around and break the serious terms and conditions, I guess like anything that would cost them money. I'd like to see that, though. They already ban your whole Origin count and lock you out of all your games even if they weren't related to the game you dicked with...it'd be interesting if EA SWAT burst into your house and took all their games back.

It sucks that you don't own the games you buy on Steam either, you just hold a license to play them until they say otherwise.

What'll happen to my account when I die? If it stays active, will it remain alive? Can you get the "licenses" transferred to your next of kin who would totally want to play 60 year old games at that point? Do they shut down accounts that haven't been active for like 5 years even if they've got $10,000 worth of licenses?

Evil, evil
>>
>>342073496
I've never heard of illiterates arguing cases of DMCA.
>>
File: 1465454696491.jpg (55 KB, 486x708) Image search: [Google]
1465454696491.jpg
55 KB, 486x708
just download it who gives a fuck

geez americans are so retarded
>>
>>342073085

Legality of piracy can be confusing to many. When you download/purchase a pirated or bootleg version of something, you're not doing really anything that would get you prosecuted in the court.

So in practical sense, only when you share pirated content further is when you do something actually illegal. Torrents for instance are automatically illegal because they download and share the content simultaneously. Ironically its the leechers who torrent more legally than seeders.
>>
>>342073085
It is on sale at gog right now anyway.
>>
>>342074695
The EULA of NFS Most Wanted actually said that you couldn't lend the game.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.