[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any games that you can feel that sense of freedom and fantasy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 23
File: Dungeons_and_Dragons_game.jpg (1 MB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
Dungeons_and_Dragons_game.jpg
1 MB, 2304x1728
Any games that you can feel that sense of freedom and fantasy similar to old table top games like DnD
>>
Crimson Shroud
>>
mincraft
>>
>>342070238
This game was fun except for all the damn backtracking to rooms in certain orders, I hate when I have to look up where to go 90% of the time in a game.
>>
File: 1461556598880.jpg (46 KB, 600x703) Image search: [Google]
1461556598880.jpg
46 KB, 600x703
>tfw always wanted to play DnD and Vampire
>nobody to play with
Even if friends wanted, no one would want to be the GM.
>>
>>342071382
I'm sorry that all of your friends, you included, are selfish anon.
My group cycles DM duty.
>>
Hand of Fate
>>
>>342070175
everquest.
>>
>>342071382
I'm just about finished with my vampire campaign and am going to switch to shadowrun for my next one. I love DMing.
>>
File: 1466183227319.png (34 KB, 117x146) Image search: [Google]
1466183227319.png
34 KB, 117x146
>>342071382
>DM gets mad at me for building too many constructs
>DM gets even madder when I decide to pose with them before entering battle.
>>
>>342071382
Just check wizards of the coast website and find an adventurer's league location and play there. Or if you don't want to leave your house, try hitting up roll20 or /tg/ for some games.
>>
>>342071515
Not OP but, That's actually a really good strategy. Lessen the burden on the main dm. And share the load. Plus who doesn't like making a campaign here and there for your homies.
>>
>>342070175
Nope. Video games still aren't there.
>>
>>342072284
Its kind of sad that this is kind of true
>>
>>342072397
Not really, it's ridiculous to expect a video game to give you complete freedom to do whatever you want.
>>
OP, you are kind or retarded.
If you want to play a videogame JUST LIKE a Tabletop RPG for the freedom and fantasy, why not playing a real Tabletop RPG.

It's like asking for a Madden game that plays JUST LIKE a real sport match for the competitivity and sportsmanship.

If you want to play an RPG for the fantasy RPG feeling, play Gauntlet or Baldur's Gate. You won't have the party shenanigans or DM's personalized plots.

If you want to play an RPG for the freedom RPG feeling, play Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and to a great extent, Fallouts and GTA. You won't have the party´s out of the box thinking, meta use and spontaneity, or the cool dangers of RGN.

If you want to play a real tabletop RPG but are too shy/too stupid to meet people/ too lazy to get out/ too busy with real life, you got only two options
Go to /quest/ and play something simple, or go to /tg/'s "find a party" threads and play online on rolld20 or a similar site.
>>
>>342074553
>no Gothic or STALKER
>>
>>342074845
Also no Heroes of Might and Magic for a grand scale, Dorfort for the Leadership feat, Black and White and Age of Empire/Myth for the survivalorldbuilding, Onimusha and Dinasty Warrior for the chinese feeling, fuck men I could be all night, and OP would still have no games to play, because what he wants doesn't exist, can't exist and shouldn't exist because there is something much much better that works.
>>
>>342072115
As someone who used to DM for adventurer's league, I strongly recommend against this action.

AL is basically for autismos who don't have enough friends to play D&D with. You get like, 1 out of every 5th person as a non-autist, but then they get scared off by the autism.

Man have I got some horror stories.
>>
Tabletop Simulator and make your own
>>
>>342076108
share horror stories plz
>>
>>342076974
I'll share a real quick one and will post more if I get more bites.

I should preface this though, if you're unfamiliar with Adventurer's League and Table Top games in general, the philosophy is a little bit more social. Griefing is considered a huge no-no by most DMs, and as such, AL has a hard coded rule that you're not allowed to steal from or kill other Player Characters. The biggest reason for it is that it's rarely done with any sympathy or with story in mind, and more or less like your general Cawadoody 12-year old with a youtube channel.

That said:

>Girl comes in with her boyfriend
>Spends 1½ hours just making a character.
>Girl says little, doesn't interact with NPCs or other players, just kinda sits there watching
>First combat, they kill a few people, and incapacitate one of them
>While interrogating, she runs over and kills them.
>"Oh well"
>Then, blatantly and out of the blue asks me "Hey, when does the party go to sleep so that I can kill them all and take their stuff?"
>"Uh, actually, AL rules state that you can't harm other PCs intentionally, and making a serious attempt to do so will 'force' me to kick you out of the table"
>Her: "Oh."
>Pulls her boyfriend aside for a few moments
>Boyfriend comes back
>Girlfriend actually LEFT him alone there cause she didn't feel like playing anymore
>Guy actually stays and we all have a blast.

Thank god he was a champ. That bitch can get fucked.
>>
how do i into tabletop?
>>
File: lowes.png (18 KB, 599x321) Image search: [Google]
lowes.png
18 KB, 599x321
>>342077876
Home Depot
>>
>>342077876
You should check out the FATE system. It's a pretty open and simple system that doesn't rely on rules as much as player narrative.

I played a pretty fun campaign a while ago that my mate DM'd set in a flooded world with WW2 planes and guns. You get points to change fate by doing things that greatly increase the drama of the situation or doing something cool enough that the DM deems it worthy of a fate point.

You should check it out.
>>
Bad GM stories?

>friend is in a pathfinder group
>another friend joins it
>figure I'll take a look at it and see whats up
>group is my two friends
>one of their girls
>some due that rocks back and forth and makes weird noises
>and gm
>GM shooting down every fun idea or suggestion
>party spends over two hours just rolling for hunting/trapping/survival in woods
>no story
>no fighting
>GM has added overpowered NPCs to the party so they can't stray from predetermined story at all
>figure fuck it and make a character
>want to be silly
>dwarf that worked as a cook
>was kicked out of mountainhome for his awful dishes
>uses a cooking spit as a spear and is always looking out for new and strange meats to make sausages
>tell him my idea
>"all new characters have to start on a beach with amnesia"
>so like your world has no just regular people that could join the party
>"have to start with amnesia and one item"
>Can I start with a bag of meat?
>"no"
>alright well I'm a dwarf and my name is-
>"no dwarves in my world"
>is this fucking morrowind?
>ignores me
>ok I'll be a tiefling
>"sure, in my game tiefling have been created by the elves and they eat only elf flesh, you also have no horns or a tail"
>how is that a tiefling?
>ignores me
>toss my shit on the table and leave
>one of my friends gets banned next session cause GM hated his character too
>>
>>342078405
Thank you anon, I'll give it a look now.
>>
>>342077579
That's not horror that's a win. Not that guy, but I take it.
>>
>>342078714
I'll give you an example of how I got a fate point once.

>We're flying in our plane around a bandit island.
>It's a big cargo plane with one of those big doors on the back for air drops.
>Pilot opens door in preparation for us to parachute down to island.
>There's an enemy bi-plane right behind us
>It opens fire into the cargo-bay from two wing mounted machineguns
>Everyone jumps for cover.
>Me: Okay, I stand still and fire my sten gun at the enemy plane.
>DM: Are you sure dude? Everyone else jumped out of the way. You could get shot.
>Me: I'm fucking sure. I stand still like General Patton and fire at the fucking plane.
>DM: Okay dude... *rolls dice* ...Woah!
>DM: You stand still and fire a burst from your sten. As the bullets from the enemy machineguns clatter either side of you, your fire penetrates the enemy fuselage and hits the pilot in the chest. His plane lists to one side and starts to descend. Well done dude.

And that's how I got a fate point.
>>
File: 1460515416359.png (13 KB, 418x359) Image search: [Google]
1460515416359.png
13 KB, 418x359
God... the only time i tried to play DnD, the DM (who was a guy i have never met before) was so fucking cringy that i had to fake a call to gtfo.

He came with shit like: eermmm, anon as you enter the tavern you saw a naked guy rolling on the floor kekekek. What are you going to do?
Some time later we were crossing some hills then he said that at distance we could see frodo and Sam making out... dude was like 20 or something.
>>
>>342078786
It's a horror story to me, because I've been playing off and on for 10+ years. It SHOCKS me how some people will just walk in and make a character with no thought just to murder and steal from other people who are sitting there and judging them. It's also a reason why I kick out any Chaotic Neutral Drow Rogues on sight.

Another story, one I find gets more controversy, so I might have to defend myself from an autist, but whatever.

>Kid comes in wanting to play
>He's like maybe 16, but he sounds and acts 12
>Creates a character
>Starts hitting on the girl right next to him really awkwardly.
>REALLY awkwardly
>Also personifies aggressive-passive in a way I didn't think was possible.
>No, I don't mean passive-aggressive, I mean he was aggressive-passive
>He would sit there and insult the other players for making "retarded" choices in their game plan, but he would do it in an "oh so fahnny" voice to make it SEEM like he was joking when he clearly wasn't
>We get the party back to town successfully
>He wants to go shopping, everyone else wants to wait for that because in AL, if you want your gold, you have to do paper work for it, and they wanted to play a little bit more
>He starts turning his aggressive-passive onto me, constantly interrupting the other players who are trying to have a conversation with me
>Practically demanding that I roleplay out the shopkeep scene and even go so far as to list the items and prices in there for him
>Tell him to just look that shit up
>He finally does, then says he buys an item. Tell him it's fine, to go ahead and do that and mark it on his sheet
>Him:"Well, that would have been a lot faster if YOU hadn't wasted everyone's time"
>Um, excuse me?
>Him: "I'm just saying, you should have told me what was in there. You basically wasted everyone's time here at the table which is rude."
>Snap
>"Well, if you don't like it? There's the door."
>Room gets quiet
>Except for him
>Him: "I'm just SAYING, you-"
>>
>>342080020
>"No, you know what? That's no longer an offer. You need to leave. Now."
>He suddenly NOW realizes he fucked up
>starts slowly dragging his feet as he gathers up his shit
>Looking to other people, trying to say sorry to them and give them the puppy-dog eyes
>Nobody even looks at him. Everyone is fed up with his shit
>He finally gets his shit and leaves
>Long time player of mine and one of the most understanding and sympathetic guys I've ever met in a long time: "Wow. What a little prick."

He came back in later and asked if there was any way he could try joining again if he fixed his behaivior. I told him to come back in two weeks when I had time to calm down and we'll see.

I wound up not being there two weeks later on accident. Never saw him again. Whoops.
>>
Being a GM is easy if you got a good knowledge of the books and SOME imagination.

Friends stills talk to me about when the priest disturbed a warding circle releasing a Ravid in a temple, and the fighter got almost killed by a bunch of drapes and a bookshelf.
>>
>>342079927
I'm sorry you had to go through that.
>>
>>342079927
I'm in a situation like that right now. Except its even worse because the DM is in a wheelchair, so nobody bothers to try and correct his bad habits, and everyone else is too afraid to stick out and talk to him about it.
>>
>>342080781
>I'm in a situation like that right now. Except its even worse because the DM is in a wheelchair

My group had a DM in a wheelchair. He eventually got fed up with us and left. I guess we pushed him too far.
>>
File: 5x5PkZJG.png (144 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
5x5PkZJG.png
144 KB, 256x256
>>342081168

WAKKA WAKKA!
>>
Got a guy in my group who actually falls asleep when playing and is so disinterested and is a huge dick in general. Always takes forever to talk to npcs and in general is a drag to be around.

I'm an understanding person but honestly this guy gets on my nerves, I have to play with him because another good friend comes with him who makes it worth playing with him but the guy bothers me regardless.

Guess I have to suck it up and power through it. Hope he never comes to one of our retro videogame nights but maybe it'll be better so I don't have to listen to him talk.
>>
>>342081168
BADUM-CHHH
>>
>>342070175
Temple of Elemental Evil is the only proper attempt to bring D&D to vidya without changing it into pseudo real time.
>>
>>342081545
Hey anon, just so you know, the word you wanted there is "Uninterested"

"Disinterested" means impartial, like how police are meant to be disinterested.
>>
>>342071382
>find a uni/college campus and go to orientation/clubs week
>barring that, find a FLGS
>???
>profit
>>
>>342081484
It's "Wompa Wompa" you drongo cunt.
>>
Christ you guys sound like there's nothing worst than playing tabletop games, really hope it's not this boring.
>>
>>342070175
nothing is better than imagination at this point

if you want to enjoy tactical and strategic combat then try roguelikes, many of which use the D&D combat system
>>
>>342081668
Ahh thanks I'll try and remember that, I'm posting while watching Trainspotting and not really paying attention.
>>
>>342081752
It most certainly is not!
>>
>>342081767
It's fun with friends and beers. You do have friends, right anon?
>>
File: 1465251821672.jpg (37 KB, 621x672) Image search: [Google]
1465251821672.jpg
37 KB, 621x672
better than playing with a bunch of whiners

>wah this story sucks
>wahh this is going no where
>wah can we call it early im tired
>>
>>342081636
Which is incredibly depressing because Temple of Elemental Evil is straight up one of the worst video games out there.

>>342081767
TTRPGs are one of those things that you only get out of it exactly what you put into it. If you gather a bunch of autsits and they sperg out, or worse, barely do anything, then you're not going to get anything done and it just feels bad.

If you get together a great group of friends though? Holy shit. Better than sex.
>>
>>342081849
No worries mate, I'm a bit of a pedant
>>
I've never played DnD before.

What's it like?
>>
>>342082054
Depends on your group and DM.

It could be a slow painful slog tripping over rules or it can be organic and very exciting if your DM is up to date and your group is creative.
>>
>>342082054
It's playing pretend, except with rules.
>>
>>342072284
At least you don't have to put up with other people though. The idea of having to play a game of pretend with autistic, smelly, fat neckbeard retards sounds utterly disgusting to me.
>>
File: 1406076676076.gif (3 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1406076676076.gif
3 MB, 300x169
>Our DM drives like 50 miles to come see us.
>Lately a few of our group have been flaking out at the last minute, pissing DM off.
>Me and two others are the only ones who always show.
>The other three keep cancelling.
>He works hard, helps autistic kids for his job, is married, still manages to write a compelling and fun story every month for us to play.
>Just today he wrote a big post on our FB group talking about how he's going to disband the group.
>I've only been playing with the group the past year, but the others have been doing it for 4+ years I believe.
>Look on his post a few hours later.
>I'm the only one who's encouraged him.
>Seen by all of them.

Feels bad man...
>>
>>342082054
It's pretty fun when with friends, encounters can drag a bit but if you have a good dm it's fun. I'm in three different campaigns different dms all friends apparently one campaign with 15 people(not at same time some off and on) I've missed 3 sessions because I'm not feeling well.

Idk how I should feel about after being gone I still don't feel well in truth.
>>
>>342082303
Five man groups must be hard to manage. I usually run two-three man groups.
>>
>>342081879
Yes I do, sadly they are not into tabletop games, and I'm too afraid to ask my cousin to invite me over his games, I think it reminds him of her ex gf so he doesn't play anymore.
>>
>>342082565
He usually can handle it. He's very quick on the draw, and he's a punishing DM to boot.
>>
>>342082576
Bummer, without close friends who are interested it's kind of hard to play.
>>
>>342070175
When I played the first TLoZ, I used a notebook by my side to draw the map, areas that I had passed, places I needed to go, most everything

I think that goes a very similar feeling
>>
>>342081752
Its WOMPA STOMPA you dingleberry!
>>
>>342082565
It's really not that bad at all, I find the optimal number is 4-5.
>>
>>342082226
>in ten years every game will be like Titanfall
>online only
>complete shit
>normies and children screaming in the mic
>>
Can you play DnD with just a DM and 1 player?
>>
>>342083480
Yeah. Might get sorta boring though and you'll feel like a bully if they are dying.
>>
>>342083480
It would be kinda boring, might as well play vidya or something.
>>
>>342083480
What kind of fights do you expect with 1 player? Unless the DM fills the boots of some npcs, so you don't end up fighting 1 rat at a time.
>>
>>342083480
Technically yes. There have been some a couple of games with in mind. The Ghost Dog RPG comes to mind.
>>
>>342070238
>has all of the worst parts of table top games with none of the good parts

Typical /v/ user everyone! Can't think about games past visuals.

>It looks the same so it must be the same!!
>>
File: Uh....jpg (36 KB, 246x274) Image search: [Google]
Uh....jpg
36 KB, 246x274
>Never played any sort of table-top
>Always thought it was kind of neat to make your own character on a sheet
>One day, friend invited me to to play Pathfinder with him as the DM
>Thought it would help me with writing stories so I said sure
>Had a blast being Halfling Barbarian with a Scythe for the one-off and a Halfling Cavelier with a wolf mount for the main campaign
>Had some cool political intrigue and even got an ability that made take half-damage from anything that's not blunt damage
>One of our friends got bored and killed his character off to end the campaign faster
>DM didn't know what to do since he never had to deal with a player intentionally killing off his character
>Never met for games after that since we didn't have a full party

The one and only time I played a tabletop. I'd play again, but I don't see my friends often these days. Plus, I was unfamiliar with the rules even after two months of playing so imagine two years of not playing at all. I would have to learn from the ground up, but if given the chance to play again with people I know, I'd definitely do it again.
>>
>>342082054
a board game with telephone type fuck ups on verbal rules owned by a tyrant that inserts their sick and twisted fetishes while only two of the five players are invested enough to not be mucking about on their cellular device
>>
>>342084180
My dm will kill you if you fuck about on your phone. I just walk around/do something else when in combat and not my turn.
>>
File: card_hunter.jpg (108 KB, 750x469) Image search: [Google]
card_hunter.jpg
108 KB, 750x469
>>342070175
I'm in your boat, OP. I've had the itch to try a tabletop RPG, but don't have anyone to try one with. I've found that Pillars of Eternity has a pretty flexible combat system that rewards imaginitive plays.

>Party of three is having trouble fighting a bunch of ghosts on Path of the Damned difficulty
>Change tactics
>Send my fighter alone to bait a ghost from its group
>The ghost follows my figjter down a hallway, past a door
>Door flings open
>Surprise, motherfucker
>The ghost gets caught in a hail of magic missles and arrows from my chanter and wizard as my fighter moves in to fuck it in the ass
>Close door and repeat

Also, try Cardhunter. It's a free-to-play card game/tactics RPG with a nerdy tabletop aesthetic. Kind of scratched the itch for me.
>>
>>342083480
You're probably better off with a different RPG for a solo game. A few recommendations...
>Engine Heart - post-apoc (post-humans too)
>Rogue Trader - sci-fi (with the solo player as the RT of course, then perhaps also rolling for NPC crew members)
>Call of Cthulhu - noir horror
>Godbound/Exalted - anime (Studio Ghibli-style)
>Savage Worlds - fantasy/Weird World War (has rules for followers I believe)
>Only War - 40K sci-fi (have a follower, and can play it as having a regiment/platoon/squad around you)
>>
>>342071382
Just head to a local game store, if its Friday they're probably playing Magic, any other night there's bound to be a group doing Pathfinder or D&D. Its downright impossible to find a group not seeking another player, EVERYONE wants fresh blood, the hobby is desperate to bring in new people which is why we keep getting That Guy horror stories. Its a hobby that requires socializing, so every GM is open to have another player on the board, and if not some random regular guy, the game store is probably hired by WotC or Paizo to run premade campaigns not related to Adventure Leagues so they get more people.

Kinda SoL about Vampire, post 90s gamers aren't too fond of what kind of scene that brought to the hobby. Might find some sort of LARP still running it, but not sure if that's a rabbit hole worth delving down

>>342071515
How do groups like this not be the norm desu? My oldest group refuses to view a new player as fully part of the hobby until they've GMed at least once and know what that sort of hot seat feels like. I can get a handful of random players being content at just that, but an entire group?
>>
>>342083963
>Halfling Barbarian with a Scythe for the one-off and a Halfling Cavelier with a wolf mount
You sound like a cool guy though, maybe try find an online game on /tg/?
>>
>>342084930
What kind of "scene" did Vampire bring?
>>
>>342083480
I've done back and forth 1 dm 1 player thing in dnd, switching when the player dies or finishes whatever goal they had in mind. If both people are interested in doing RP stuff it can be fun, just treat them as very short stories of individuals doing low powered things

Made an evil cleric that took over a small village of 10 or 15 people for a few months while researching an ancient temple to his god, was cut down by a paladin and his squire a month after a villager escaped.

Had just a standard human soldier taking part in a siege, It was the last thing of the night so I did something that I thought would have him get killed off quickly. He distinguished himself by getting a good lucky natural 20 critical strike to an enemy about to finish off a wounded allied lord and finished off a wizard, didn't get seriously injured, and eventually settled down as a knight with a small plot of land

There were a few characters that died very quickly. It happens, just laugh it off and don't spend too long trying to make them
A thief who fell to his death after some failed assassin's creed shit trying to run from some palace guards
A paladin who was assassinated when investigating a cult of vampire worshippers
A wizard who thought he was way better than he actually was and got killed by a demon he summoned improperly
>>
>>342085210
I thought about it, but I always got the feeling that tabletop communities were pretty exclusive and would kind of shame you if you didn't understand the rules.

Kind of unfounded, but I'm willing to admit that part of it is that I'm nervous.
>>
When I was a young teen, Magic had just came out. I bought tons of cards but my friends lost interest so I had nobody to play with anymore. Then, the owner of the hobby shop told me that a group was looking for more players and gave me a phone number.

The group was a total frankenstein group. I was the youngest at 14 and the oldest was in his thirties. We had about 8 others everywhere in between. We had some good times. Mostly Magic, D&D and poker.

20 years later and we still meet up for game night and an alcohol or pot fueled night on town. We lost touch with three members and the rest of us are spread around different states. We manage to get most of the group together at least once a year.

Fuck, I'm old.
>>
>>342083480
Yes.

I try not to though. It feels oddly intimate. Especially if you start roleplaying scenes where the player and an NPC start flirting with each other.
>>
>>342085797
No, quite the opposite. I get overly excited about teaching people about settings, rules and mechanics, and I know the guy who got me properly into RPGs is the same. Plus even for people who aren't like that, there's a general desire to get more (decent) players involved in the community so that starting a game and rounding up players isn't so hard.

Your line of thinking is pretty common though, at uni we used to try and run public events for getting people into board games/RPGs, nowadays one of the clubs actually runs that kinda stuff at a bar for just drop-in fun.
>>
>>342083713
>has all the worst parts

You know you can't just spout random bullshit without at least backing up your inane claims, right?
>>
>>342086019
Why does this make me sad?
>>
>>342085560
larping hipsters
>>
>>342085560
In general - crazy goths. For the tactics-focused miniatures players - story focused games

Vampire ruled the extreme 90s era, completely and unabashedly. The special snowflake edgy teen players were all over the game because that's the whole point to vampire, which was living in a super depressed world fighting a fight you can't win and this game brought together a community of like minded nihilists. Personally loved the shit out of the scene not because of Vampire but due to all the other line of games under White Wolf (Hunter, Changeling, Mage)

Vampire also popularized LARPs in the west, and anything related to LARP is considered the next step down the hole of absolute social filth nerdism. Its one thing to play dice game of social misfits being social misfits, its another thing doing it with an entire college campus group with everyone wearing emo tears, raver pants, and running around on Thursday night playing an abstracted form of Rock Paper Scissors instead of rolling dice. The That Guys of this scene get even creepier, I've heard stories of them actually biting strangers on the neck because they wanted to 'be in character'

System wise its fun, broken, but fun, I love the amount of d10s it lets you hurl around and would play again if my group ever wants to go that far back in the past
>>
>>342085560
Just another type of stereotypes. If your D&D is cliched MY FAIR MAIDEN crowd, than Vampire is WOE IS ME. All I know is it was refreshing change of pace back in the day, unless someone played Tremere because they always without fail wanted to play it them as D&D wizards.
>>
File: andrewstjohnandtoreadorfamily.jpg (99 KB, 990x775) Image search: [Google]
andrewstjohnandtoreadorfamily.jpg
99 KB, 990x775
>>342086349
LARPing as is tends to be silly on its own, but the Mind's Eye really brought the creepy factor into it. I can kinda respect nerds wearing styrofoam armor and weapons while running around in the forest and yelling out their special attacks, but hambeasts gathering together to pretend they know politics when they're just there to cater to their fetishes sickens me.
>>
>>342086365
Since when has D&D ever been "muh fair maiden"? Most D&D players I know are complete grognards, and that is good. That is how it should be. D&D at its finest is fantasy wargaming.
>>
>>342070175
Card Hunter
>>
>>342086646
O man yes, every form of 'its just a game, I was only playing my character, not really backstabbing for politics' from the Minds Eye games always devolved into actual cat fights and age long feuds after they leave
>>
>>342086689
it was a stereotype. most roleplayers I played with gave only token nod to roleplaying.
>>
File: Roll20_TWIT_400x400.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Roll20_TWIT_400x400.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
>>342070175
neverwinter nights. I had a blast playing through the game in co-op, you can't really replicate "GM improvising on the fly for the players" in video games, sadly. hit up roll20 and get into roleplaying proper.
>>
>>342085797
>would kind of shame you if you didn't understand the rules.
No, not really. They will if you start running your mouth because holy *fuck* there are so many retards in the tabletop community that not only don't know shit about their game's rules, but are proud of this fact and fuck up any discussion they're involved in by shitposting about this wildly.
>>
Tabletop simulator I guess.
But that feels like cheating and I am sure that isn't actually what you meant.
>>
>>342085797
>I thought about it, but I always got the feeling that tabletop communities were pretty exclusive and would kind of shame you if you didn't understand the rules.

Nah. Have you played any RPGs, especially older ones? You basically already have the fundamentals and basics, you just need to get into the groove and understand everything has to be done manually in tabletop. For example, fight that would take five minutes in a video game can take multiple hours int tabletop because of slowness and because you have infinite options to go about it. "It's so complicated" is an enduring stereotype back from the days when roleplaying was brand new. Video games have done an excellent job introducing people into the basics without even intending to.
>>
Crusader Kings 2 is without a doubt the game that have come closest to giving me the same feelings as playing a P&P RPG.

I mean, the RPG part obviously. But that was always the best part anyways, combat is just sort of tedious.
>>
>>342085797
Its the exact opposite in my experience.

They are so happy if they see someone willing to give it a try.
>>
>back in HS
>used to play RPG's and boardgames almost every weekend
>some of the most fun I've ever had
>after HS we all sort of drift apart/move away

I miss it so much. Just wouldn't be the same playing online or with strangers on the internet.
>>
>>342084180
bad experience?
>>
>>342087709
I played FF3 and DQV, but those are probably the only old RPGs I played.

I took a look at the Pathfinder General in /tg/ and immediately overwhelmed by all the information in their pastebin. I have no idea where to start or what to even ask. Probably worth mentioning that trying to do this on a couple hours worth of sleep isn't helping.
>>
>>342088856
/pfg/ is that way because they used to have multiple shitposters that would pretend to be the only real fans of Pathfinder and give new players shit advice on purpose just to fuck you over. Why? Because they didn't like Pathfinder.
>>
>>342089062
What the hell? Really? I'll find someway on how to deal with this in morning cuz I can't wrap my head around something so dumb. Shitposting is one thing, but misleading new players to any game, tabletop or otherwise, is a pretty shitty thing to do.
>>
>>342089736
see
>>342087430
Guess what happens when you can shitpost and it looks like a legitimate post? The developers encouraging this bullshit by building trap options into the game certainly didn't help.
>>
>>342081767
The fun is absolutely not from the game itself, that shit is generally dull unless you've never played a video game before in your life. The fun comes from being with friends, drinking, and goofing around. If you've got a good group of friends, it's a great time. If you're playing with people you don't know very well or don't like just for the sake of playing and taking shit seriously, it's going to inevitably be a terrible experience.
>>
>>342081767
Problem is tabletop depends entirely on the people you're playing with. No game is the same, not even if you're actually PLAYING the same game.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zng5kRle4FA

Classic
>>
>>342090213
Yeah, well, ya know, that's just, like, uh, your opinion man.
>>
>>342090275
>The fun is absolutely not from the game itself
Yeah no, fuck off.
>>
>>342083445
Titanfall was good tho
>>
>>342070175
RP in an MMO where you like how the characters and world looks
>>
Divinity: Original Sin for a good CRPG. The encounters and adventures are designed to be snappy and easy to digest, so whenever you play you're seeing something new. There's also some good creativity in the scenarios and puzzles. It's also hard as balls in the early game unless you get lucky enough to find a mace or a fire spell. It's pretty great that your two customized characters are both fully voiced and have dialogue between each other. I also appreciate that they make sure to keep the worldbuilding to the minimum that you need for the scenario, as opposed to Pillars which drowns you in exposition and backstory.

Shadowrun Returns trilogy is also really great if you want a comfy feel. The first one's a bit of a snore gameplay-wise (do NOT play a decker) but the plot is good. Dragonfall has really interesting story and the best level design, while Hong Kong is absolutely gorgeous and has the best combat design.

If you want to roleplay, try Space Station 13. Find a server with about 18 players on it, they'll probably be focusing on RP.
>>
>>342090515
He's right though, it's not. None of these sorts of games are actually fun beyond the social aspect. That's why they exist. I bet you're the guy who bitches whenever everyone gets sidetracked with conversations and enjoying themselves instead of power gaming.
>>
>>342091037
>None of these sorts of games are actually fun beyond the social aspect.
Stop playing shitty games.
>>
File: 1275191054168.png (6 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1275191054168.png
6 KB, 400x400
>>342081767
>tfw from the very beginning, the "its fun with friends" meme actually started with pen and paper decades ago

we're all DOOMED
>>
>>342071382
Both shit systems so you aren't missing out.
>>
If we're sharing DM stories, I got a dumb one.

>One relatively new friend among a group wants to play a Half-Ork wrestler
"Okay dude but wildlife's gonna be crazy"
>Plays it well in both combat and acting until one encounter
>Found an alternate monster manual with a weird monster: A fake tree, but with a grapple move. If it lands the grapple, it gets a 6x multi-slam attack.
>Fight goes down, players have no idea how to handle this tree since they aren't aware of it being a threat or not
>One tree goes for the wrestler, contested grapple check
>natural 1 on his end
>Damage just barely knocks him out.
>First KO in the game period from a wrestler getting out-played by a damn tree

And that was when I learned to appreciate dumb character ideas and play toward them.
>>
File: 1460083235999.jpg (26 KB, 480x479) Image search: [Google]
1460083235999.jpg
26 KB, 480x479
>>342070175
>Play Pathfinder back in highschool
>The only group I could find where the wannabe edgy faggots.
>They always played CN/CE, every single fucking time. Well talking about how it reflects on who they are despite that fact they all followed the rules and where all huge pussies.
>A lot of them would always complain that everyone always played CN/CE and that they ruin the campaign but none of them would want to be the one that didn't play CN/CE
>Never got to play the Paladin Crusader I wanted to play as since I knew no true pally would ever tolerate his party going out of their way to murder random nameless npc civilians.
>Now live in too small of a town even bother looking for groups.
Only experience with /tg/ shit, don't play it unless you can find a group who you can enjoy playing with. Also if you live in a flyover state than you might as well give up now.
>>
>tfw group just wants to play Hackmaster anymore even though it's a fucking terrible game but don't have any other people to do this kind of shit with so have to just accept it
>>
>>342092073
I believe anyone who picks Chaotic Evil as their alignment is a bad seed.

Now, Lawful Evil on the other hand, those guys know what the fuck they are doing.
>>
>>342092073
>>342092163
I'm honestly curious what DM in their right mind allows a CE player to exist?

You'd have to write a 10 page dissertation to even get that shit considered by me.
>>
>>342070175
Multiplayer servers on Neverwinter Nights are still alive, they're kind of like MMOs with DMs being able to take control of shit on the fly and run their own events and plots.
>>
>>342092163
I wouldn't call it a bad seed when it's the group magority. Literally the only 3 people in that group who didn't play CE/CN characters where me, my twin brother who always like to play as young females who were usually good alignment, and another guy who started showing up before I left pretty much only played LG Dwarf Fighter.
>>
File: 1465872279467.gif (2 MB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
1465872279467.gif
2 MB, 250x188
>>342081921
>anon can you run X game/setting?
>1 session later
>anon let's switch game
>>
>>342092460
I just started a Chaotic Evil how would you reccomend I played that out?
>>
>>342092970
I am at the point were I have to create games for people.
>>
>>342071382
You gotta have to GM. Also keep in mind your friends will not give a fuck and won't read the material so you'll have to handhold them from character creation.
>>
>>342093173
Be willing to coperate. Evil doesn't mean going around killing everything you see. Being chaotic doesn't mean there's rules saying you can't follow the law and be uncooperative. It's best for your own benefit if your average man doesn't see you as CE. Subtlety is key.
>>
>>342093713
This.

You could just be some fucked up serial killer that never actually shows his twisted side unless he knows he could get off scot-free.

Kind of like pic related.
>>
File: unrelated.jpg (199 KB, 1023x576) Image search: [Google]
unrelated.jpg
199 KB, 1023x576
>>342093713
>Being chaotic doesn't mean there's rules saying you can't follow the law and be uncooperative.

Actually yes, there are. That's kinda the whole point of Chaotic. It''s not in your nature to follow any rules or laws. Yeah sure, you can bend that once in a while when it's critical, but you can't play it off as "pretending to follow" all the time. Might as well roll Neutral Evil at that point. Chaotic Evil in general is not recommended unless you're rolling with a full evil party so you need one guy who will go full mental and be party bruiser and whatnot.
>>
>>342094010
That doesn't fit D&D alignment, though. Closest to that is loose lawful evil character with a code he usually follows, except when he lets off some steam.
>>
>>342094063
But if you force you self to break the rules all the time, are you not following an even more predictable rule? What about split personalities, or something like >>342094010
said. It's one thing not to take people's shit and to do things your way, it's another to be a hindrance and annoyance to the rest of your part.
>>
>>342094063
Not necessarily.
Chaotic could just be putting yourself first at all times.
Being a murder hobo is not in your best interest unless you have the absolute power to back it up, or you know you can get away with it.

That said, CE is a dumb alignment for a PC.
>>
>>342094351
Bateman follows no code, though.

He's legit fucking crazy and brutal.
>>
>>342092460
>my twin brother who likes to play as young females
fugg :DD
>>
>>342094389
>Chaotic could just be putting yourself first at all times.

not really. chaotic good will do good however he wishes despite what local laws say, for example. there's a reason why chaotic is opposite of lawful. although what you say is kinda true in a sense you put your own BELIEFS before anything else.
>>
>>342094379
>>342094389
because like anon above said dungeon and dragons alignment system isn't exactly that sturdy or deep when it comes to matters of morality. it primarily exists for mechanical reasons so, for example, shit like detect evil can exist and work.
>>
>>342094593
Yeah, that would make more sense.
>>
>>342094510
Honestly I think it was out of spite, since his upbeat anime girls were the opposite of what the rest of the party was going for. With his bard's main goal being something called "Peace through Pop" It was annoying. But since when rolling for stats he got 2 20s, that bard also had the best charisma and dex in the party. So no character in game could really say no, hell he even forced the dm to sing for us when convinced a lich in disguise to sing for us.
>>
>>342094389
>That said, CE is a dumb alignment for a PC.

Pretty much and I would never allow it. Lawful Evil is the only evil alignment people can pull off most of the time because they can just play it off as being dicks.
>>
>>342091103
>Stop playing shitty games.

At first glance you might assume D&D is a shitty game, because of the terrible balance and boring combat. But actually having awful rules is a good thing because it encourages players to ignore the rules and focus on roleplaying.

For example, since playing a Fighter in D&D by-the-rules is so incredibly boring, it encourages you to make up little stories every turn. So instead of saying "I swing my sword at the orc, AGAIN" you narrate doing cool fencing moves and darting around the battlefield. This is called "immersion."

Source: browsed /tg/ for a few hours and now I want to die
>>
File: rpg triangle.jpg (588 KB, 3154x2493) Image search: [Google]
rpg triangle.jpg
588 KB, 3154x2493
About once a month my friends get together for an RPG night. We make up a new scenario each time and have pretty loose character rules. Usually stuff like:

>Name
>Race
>3 - 5 special abilities or traits
>Weapon of choice
>Scenario specific trait or alignment

We write a basic outline for stories and encounters, but improvise everything else. We use a single d20 for important decisions.

It's like the 'Whose Line' of RPGs.
Would it be worth it to adopt a formal rule set?
>>
File: libash.png (25 KB, 798x708) Image search: [Google]
libash.png
25 KB, 798x708
>>342070175
Dwarf Fortress, anon
where else can you start a fight with a drunk because you disagree with his worldview, before making up with him and convincing the whole pub to dance with you?
>>
>>342095413
I'd be interested. I got a group of friends that like to get hammered on weekends and do dumb shit, this seems up their alley without having to invest too much into a character they might fuck up and lose,
>>
File: 1456061606519.png (870 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1456061606519.png
870 KB, 800x600
>>342070175
Elona+, it's quite grindy, requires a good dose of imagination and will never replace actual irl roleplaying but it does a good job anyway.
I guess rouguelikes in general too.
>>
>>342095413
Gotta roll
>>
>>342095413
Not really.
Rules are supposedly there to help you. They're more like guidelines in a sense. Some people like having roll tables for encounters and loot when they can't think of anything.

Then again, some restrictions brought forth by predetermined rules can still be a lot of fun since you have to play around them and won't just be able to do your own thing.
>>
>>342095413
A lot of these classes seem they would be rather the same.

Also roll for role.
>>
>table top
fucking normies.
>>
>>342070175

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERDS
>>
>>342095413
rolling[/spoiler
>>
>>342083480

this is the most pathetically depressing thing i've ever read
>>
File: LandingPage__0010_PtC.jpg (503 KB, 1000x506) Image search: [Google]
LandingPage__0010_PtC.jpg
503 KB, 1000x506
>>342083480
You could, but D&D wouldn't be my first choice for that. Something like Promethean from WoD is basically built to be played 1 on 1, for example.
>>
I know all the rules of DnD 5e, yet I´ve never played a game.
A couple years back some of my friends invited me to play a campaign with them. First time we came together it turned out that weirdly I was the only one who actually learned some of the rules of the game, so the role of DM was thrust upon me. I had no experience with DnD let alone being a DM, so I ask to postpone the game for a week or so, in order for me to learn my shit. A week later after spending way too much of my time on figuring everything out I get a call from one of the people from the group (the one who actually bought the starter set) saying that they didn't have time anymore to play. As a result the whole group disbanded (it was rather small) and I never even got to played the game.
Next year the same person asked me to join a group again, reasuring me that she wouldn't flake out this time.
At this point I was already doubtful, but I really wanted to play the game, so I accepted. But to my non surpirse the same thing happened as the year prior and she left the group for the same reason.
It's a year later now and I'm trying to set up my own group with a bunch of other friends, but I'm already seeing that I'm going to have to hold their hand the entire way and they wont read anything on their own accord and probably even when I tell them. I chose this group partly based on the fact that they like to play RPG's, so I have a hunch that they will get motivated enough to keep on playing after we've had our first sessions. But at the moment I really have to put the pressure on it in order to get things moving.
I just hope it works out in the end.
>>
I really like RPGs and I've played some strategy tabletop games, but when a friend of my friend invited me over for DnD they just talked to each other in cringy elf voices for 2 hours.
Is that what tabletop rpg is? or are they doing it wrong.
>>
>>342095413
>all these classes
>games will feature 1 of them if you're lucky
>They won't do any of their classes justice
Rolling
>>
File: 1447039657248.jpg (20 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1447039657248.jpg
20 KB, 256x256
>>342097332
Not on DnD but that often happens to me in other situations.

>Person sees me doing x, be it a game, card game or whatever
>They're really interested and ask me to explain them
>I happily do so and start explaining the very dumbest basics
>They don't understand shit (I'm really talking about really basica shit like drawing a card at the begging of your turn and calling mana) and look at me as if I'm forcing them to stay
>This happens with the same person more than once sometimes making me wonder how they even got to live so much if they have zero will to learn anything
>>
>>342071382

Go to Roll20 or ask /tg/ as I'm pretty sure you can find a looking for group thread there.
>>
>>342095413
Rolling. Bring back dubs hiroshimoot
>>
>>342081545
I'm sorry ;_;
>>
>>342097907
I was thinking about how a game with this class system could work. My basic thought was that each quest or mission would be +Fighter, +Mage, +Rouge. So you had to do missions that would push you in the right direction. And when you get there you have to do a couple special mission to fully master the class. Like for Beast Rider you have to capture and tame a mount, or join a sailing crew to become a pirate. Then after you master a class you could switch between them at will. But that's as far as I got.

There didn't seem to be a great reason or motivation to keep playing. Unless you made it like 'Fable' where you spent your formative years learning your desired class and then you finish out the main story as that class later on.
I dunno.
Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.