[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>SMT: Nintendo >SMT2: Nintendo >SMT4: Nintendo >SMT3:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2
File: nocturne guy.jpg (72 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
nocturne guy.jpg
72 KB, 512x512
>SMT: Nintendo
>SMT2: Nintendo
>SMT4: Nintendo

>SMT3: Sony

Why
>>
PS2
>>
because there weren't any real alternatives to the SNES in the 80s
>>
>>342063891
there were, the SNES was the better choice commercially, you dumbass
>>
>>342063793
No loyalty.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but SMT1+2 were on the SNES, right? You made a game, it's on the fucking SNES back then.
Then Sony fucking dominated instantly when they came out and was better for the genre, so they made it for that.

Now handheld is popular as fuck in japan so it's on a handheld instead... now I just disproved myself, why isnt this for Vita?
>>
SMT4 was only on 3ds so Atlus wouldnt spend their budget on a game nobody cares about

Persona has the privilege of being on home consoles
>>
>SMT V: Sony
god damn
>>
>>342064048
because >Vita

you didn't disprove yourself at all, if there was any sense of "loyalty" they probably would have
>>
>>342063793
Because Nintendo scared away anyone who wanted to make RPGS with those retarded cartridges during the N64.
>>
>>342064259
Let me expand my post.
SMT target audience is probably japan, hence the handheld.
Isnt the Vita actually doing ok in japan? They're still making games for it there.
I personally don't care because I dont play the franchise, I just wanted to say Atlus aren't platform fanboys and any good developers shouldn't be.
>>
>>342063793
They ported SMT 1 and 2 to the PS1
>>
>>342063891
>80s
>SNES
>>
>>342064537
the vita is a failure everywhere, because instead of trying to support it Sony just decided to leave it dead in the water
>>
>SMT V
>Sony playstation 4
>>
>>342063793
because they put it it whats popular at its time
>SMT 1 and 2 : SNES
>SMT 3: PS2
>SMT 4 and Apocalypse: 3DS
most of the spin offs are on the PS2 for the same reason
the only odd one is Strange Journey. but i heard that started as a small project, then changed to IV and then changed to SJ
>>
>>342063891
Snes came out 1991
>>
SMT is more a PlayStation brand
>>
>>342064930
>all future SMT will be on PlayStation again
Post yfw
>>
>>342064930
the spinoffs were all on PS2 because it was much easier to reuse assets from Nocturne than make a new game from scratch
>>
>>342064973
how so?
The way I see it both 1 and 2 are on PS and Nintendo
3 on PS and 4 on Nintendo
>>
>>342065292
>SMT 1, 2, If... and III (with a special edition) are playstation games
>DDS, all four Devil Summoners are PlayStation
>Persona 1, 2 IS + EP, III (+ answer) and 4 are PlayStation
>Nintendo has three crappy handheld SMTs and EO skin of Persona
It's a PS series.
>>
And now SMT V will be on PS4 :)
>>
>>342064160
Persona is garbage compared to mainline SMT games. Its literally an extremely shitty and bare bones dating sim tacked on to a grindy incompetent dungeon crawler.
>>
>>342066141
>pre-Nintendo* mainline SMT games
FTFY
>>
>>342065292
>How so?

He's a retard who doesn't know the difference between spin-off and mainline

>b-b-but it says Shin Megami Tensei on the box!
Not in Japan.
>>
>>342065631
most of these are only "Shin Megami Tensei"outside of Japan. but anyway
you want to be retarded about it? okay fine
Digital Devil Story I and II are on SNES
SMT 1, 2 If... are on SNES
Strange Journey is on DS
IV and Apocalypse is on 3DS
Soul Hackers is on 3DS
Persona Q is on DS
Majin Tensei I and II are on SNES (best spin-offs in my opinion, fuck atlus for not bringing it over)
Devil Survivor 1 and 2 on DS/3DS
and a shitload of DemiKid games on Gameboy.
>>
>>342064048

Far more 3DSs than Vitas owned in Japan, that's why
>>
>>342066436
>he had to find obscure games nobody played to push the anti-PS agenda
Good job.
>>
>>342064475

This was PS2 era though, not PS1. The GC was out at the time.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that compared to the PS2 (which was still difficult to program for objectively speaking), programming for the GC was a bitch.
>>
>>342066596
the fuck are you talking about. most of these are even translated beside if.. and the Majin tensei games.

>anti-PS agenda
im just saying they are as much from the PS brand as the Nintendo brand
>>
>>342066865
You are pretending SMT isn't a PlayStation series by googling any and all spin-offs regardless of relevance.

So here is your (you)
>>
>>342064973

But of the games that are actually Megami Tensei, only 3 is on a sony platform
>>
>>342066972
here's back at (you) faggot, have a shitty day
>>
>>342067070
>>342067107
Why do shitposters like you always pop up?
>>
SMT 1, 2 and IF all got ported to the PS1.
Devil Summoner and Soul Hackers were both created for the PS1 and Saturn.
SMT 3 followed the line
>>
You guys argue about the dumbest things.
>>
>>342067789
Video games are already some dumb shit to argue about.
>>
>>342067193

It's not shitposting. The only games that are of the Megami Tensei/Shin Megami Tensei series are

>The 2 Megami Tensei games
>The 4 numbered Shin Megami Tensei games, 3 spinoffs, 1 sequel, and a wierd MMO

That's it, nothing else Atlus has made is SMT, they're all separate IPs that like to share a lot of the same ideas because Atlus loves to use the same stuff across their IPs. Of the things listed, All of them are Nintendo games with the following excepions

Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne is for the PS2
Shin Megami Tensei Nine is for the original Xbox
and I believe Imagine was for the pc.
>>
>>342068158
>It's not shitposting
(you)
>>
>>342068346

Well I'm sorry you think that, but that's just how these games are. Persona, Devil Summoner, Digital Devil Saga, none of these games are Shin Megami Tensei in Japan and never have been. They're just as much separate Atlus IPs as Sekaiju no Meikyuu is.
>>
>>342066698
the GC discs held less space, and Atlus was probably taking queue from other big RPG makers since the PS2 had the bigger install base of RPG fans
>>
>>342063793
>only those entries
lets fix that

>MegaTen
NES and MSX, ported to everything possible in the same year

>MegaTen 2
NES

>MegaTen 1&2
SNES

>SMT1
SNES, one year later ported to PC engine and Sega CD, 9 years later ported to PS1

>SMT2
SNES, ported to PS1 8 years later

>SMT If...
SNES, ported to PS1 8 years later

>SMT 3 Nocturne
PS2

>SMT Nine
Xbox

>SMT SJ
DS

>SMT IV
3DS

Looking at the release dates and other Megaten games release dates you will notice a trend, well two actually

The first one is that atlus had no console preference, and they went to what ever was more popular at the time, the second is that although they tried to keep different flavours of megaten to different consoles (SMT was on SNES, Persona on PS1, Devil Survivor on Saturn), they soon realized that it was stupid to do that and just went with trend number one again

Shitposting aside
Its clearly easy to see why Nocturne is the only SMT on PS2

SNES era, the super Nintendo was the most popular system around so publishing to it was the thing to do, but once sony came out and had way less draconian rules, Atlus started trying out the PS1 by porting their SNES games to the PS1 and developing some new games, SMT if and the persona games started here, at the same time they were trying the same on Saturn with Devil Summoner for a while before realizing the Saturn was selling like shit
Notice how there was no Nintendo release, as Atlus, much like Square, didn't care for Ninty now they had another option to publish their games
Onto the PS2 era, Atlus needed a new pool of assets, so SMT Nine and Nocturne were made to generate the demon assets that the company would use till P4G, again why publish on the GNC when you could publish on the PS2 and Xbox and have a much better sales

When it came to make Strange Journey, the DS was the hot shit of the time, so they went with it, same for SMT IV
There is no mystery here, atlus flocks to whatever is more popular to publish to
>>
>>342064785
It's been doing just fine in Japan, selling close to as many 3DS these past few months
>>
File: SMT.jpg (1 MB, 1348x2296) Image search: [Google]
SMT.jpg
1 MB, 1348x2296
Just a reminder that these are the only games that have "Shin Megami Tensei" in the title in Japan.
>>
>>342064537
Vita does decently in japan and sony japan still makes games for it yes, the reason its on 3DS instead of Vita is because far more 3DS were sold in japan than Vitas, that combined with the easier dev cycle the 3DS has when compared to the vita's made it more favourable, since now SMT is not the mainline series anymore, at least financially, persona is
This has become quite a trend in Japanese games, you want to make a good budget game, you make it on the 3DS
You want to actually spend money on your game, you make it on the PS3/Vita(port), you REALLY want to burn money on your game you make it on the PS4
You have no decent budget but some old assets from previous games? you cobble up together something and publish on the vita

Anyway my point is, Atlus does not want to actually invest money on SMT anymore and it has become a secondary series for them, so a smaller budget on a profitable handheld platform is the ideal for SMT now, meanwhile Persona gets loads of dosh injected in it and got a PS4 port paid by sony
>>
>>342067336
>soul hackers was on psx
wait what?
>>
>>342067336
Devil Summoner 1 was on Saturn and PSP
>>
>>342070679
Ported to PS1 one year after the Saturn release
Like all Atlus Saturn games, they felt sega taking a nose dive and jumped ship to sony
>>
>>342066698
GC was easier to program for then the PS2. It was actually harder to program for due to Sony's custom 'Emotion Engine' GPU, although it probably no where near as hard to program for than The Cell. PS2 discs held 4 GB or 8GB when dual layered while GC could olny hold 1.4 GB or something along those lines.
>>
You guys waiting for Apocalypse? You guys already played Apocalypse? I find it kind of odd that I've seen pretty much no discussion over it since the release date was announced. I've still got SMT II-IV to play through, so though I'll probably be playing the Japanese version, I likely won't be able to start it until September anyway. I haven't heard much about it yet, but I'm interested in it for some reason. It and SMT III are the two I'm most looking forward to. And Strange Journey eventually.
>>
>>342071396
Yup, funfact
Sony made the Emotion Engine and The Cell as hard to program on purpose
The idea is that it was so hard to work with it that the developer would waste more budget and time on making the PS2 version of the game so that they would be too tired or out of budget to make an Xbox or NGC port
They tried the same with The Cell, but since they were a year later and the 360 had really taken off by the time the PS3 came out, plus the whole 600 dollarydoos problem, crippled the PS3 to become as popular as the PS2 was and having it being as hard to program as it was only made it less desirable to work on by the developers
>>
>>342071030
holy shit, i thought only the first devil summoner was ported
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.