[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WoW vs Baldurs Gate 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: BGIIEE_cover_art.jpg (23 KB, 421x236) Image search: [Google]
BGIIEE_cover_art.jpg
23 KB, 421x236
Hey /v/,

I just beat BG2 Throne of Bhaal on Insane first try, and HOLY FUCK WHAT A GREAT GAME.

Engaging combat, great story, great pace, great items, everything is just amazing - it's fucking perfect, pure perfection. Except one thing: The world is too small and it's over too soon.

So why isn't there something with the same isometric DnD tactical gameplay like BG2, but the world of f.e. WoW? It would be amazing, I think I would play it day and night.

(I've looked through all the other DnD titles, like Icewind Dale 2, Pillars of Eternity or Divinity: Original Sin, and I can't find anything like it)
>>
bamp
>>
>>341979360
>hy isn't there something with the same isometric DnD tactical gameplay like BG2, but the world of f.e. WoW?

because hand-crafting large worlds and filling them with interesting and engaging content is a fuckton of work.
>>
File: 1439917531600.jpg (71 KB, 480x706) Image search: [Google]
1439917531600.jpg
71 KB, 480x706
>>
>>341979360
>The world is too small and it's over too soon.
Did you do none of the sidequests?
Or did you only play ToB?
>>
>>341979360
Give Planescape Torment a try. The games you mentioned are also pretty good in terms of gameplay.
Apart from that, congrats for finishing the game on the insane difficulty. You read a few walkthroughs, haven't you?
>>
>>341979360
>Engaging combat

>DnD titles

yeah I love spending 15 minutes buffing everyone and discharging the twenty spells my mages have each and every fight, very tactical
>>
>>341980661
>You read a few walkthroughs, haven't you?

Nope. Just got a good party composition (Keldron is insane btw) and a main character as Archer. Played BG1 before, so I knew what to look for from the get-go.

I died many times in boss-fights, the last one was especially difficult at first. But when you buy enough high level spell-scrolls, everything becomes feasible.

Also, Abazigal boss fight is fucking awesome too.
>>
>>341980754
>15 minutes buffing everyone

Unnecessary. I never spent much time buffing apart from boss fights.

Most important buff is Speed, and then later you get Damage and Magic Resistance on your tanks. And optionally some specific resistance buffs, like Cold, Fire, Poison etc.

You only really need to buff a lot when you have a boss fight, or attackers with several damage types.

Read the buff descriptions, most of the low-level buffs and potions may even harm you because your AC is much higher already.
>>
>>341979360
I kinda just like crpgs to be not huge open worlds really. BG1 had a bit more to explorer too if i remember right, over BG2.
>>
>>341981573
>Speed

I especially want to emphasize this one. I wouldn't have been able to beat the game without it. It lets you outrun non-sped up opponents, especially when your tank gets hit hard. Also got Boots of Cheetah on the main tank always.
>>
>>341980754

Haste. Maybe Recitation and Prayer if you are feeling fancy.
>>
>>341981860
That is because in BG you actually explored map by exiting locations in different corners, and in BG2 npc draws location on map
>>
>>341981860
It is, but it lacks good Dungeons. The only good Dungeon is Durlag's Tower (which is really great btw), but the rest of the world is stale.
>>
>>341982115
>What is Nashkel Mines
>What is Whisperwood mine
Dungeons are not always literal dungeon
>>
>>341982030
>Haste.

yeah, that's what it's called

Insane buff, a tiny drawback is that it's negated by Free Action. Like f.e. when you get the 5th head on flail of ages - awesome weapon, but you almost can't use it because of permanent Free Action.
>>
>>341982225
I disliked them both desu.

It's just stale killing of low level opponents and avoiding traps.
>>
>>341982040
Yeah, both games are fine. I did enjoy the low level D&D adventure, back when the game first came out.
>>
File: WorldmapOfWarcraft.jpg (180 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
WorldmapOfWarcraft.jpg
180 KB, 1024x768
>>341980495
>because hand-crafting large worlds and filling them with interesting and engaging content is a fuckton of work.

You could only copy-paste WoW entirely, and keep the gameplay of BG2, and ti would be the greatest game of all time.
>>
>>341982586
Rather just stick to the Hub system, like Deus ex and Bloodlines.
>>
>>341982367
Try Icewind Dale. Plenty of opponents to kill.
BG is more adventure then combat focused rpg
>>341982437
Temple of Elemental evil and early Neverwinter have low lvl adventure too
>>
>>341982868
Coop´ed Neverwinter back then. Pure fun. Somehow the NW 2 singleplayer didn´t do it for me like the first one.
>>
>>341979360
Try Morrowind.

If you want a more traditional approach go for old dos RPG titles. Might & Magic series and Lands of Lore are preaty great , as well as golden-box D&D adventures.
>>
>>341983128
Neverwinter have coop?
Fuck, now I need friends again
>>
>newfriends not realizing this is pasta
Summer.
>>
>>341983796
Fuck off faggot, we are discussing one of the greatest cRPG ever created.
>>
>>341983604
>Lands of Lore
>golden-box D&D adventures

I comfortable with going back 15 years when it comes to crpgs, but 25 is a bit too much for me.

Also, Might & Magic is more a strategy game than a rpg.
>>
Get BG:TuTu, it will combine the maps of BG, BG:TotSC, BG2 and BG2:ToB into one huge game.
>>
>>341985348
Not Heroes of Might & Magic (the strategy ispaired by the RPG series).

Might & Magic the RPG series.
>>
>>341985623
Isn't this already obsolete with BG:EE?
>>
>>341987036
BG:EE is not worth the effort imho, SJW plotlines and lolsorandumb wild mage added
>>
>>341987143
I liked Neera and Dorn Il-Khan
>>
BG1 is better, only reason why people hate it is because it takes actual skill and planning to get through fights because your characters don't have 5000 hp each.

Gitgud.
>>
>>341979360
Literally Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 Persistent Worlds
>>
>>341989317
This is bait
>>
>>341989317
BG1 is not a hard game.
>>
ToB was disappointing. Rushed mess with +6 weapons on every corner.

>>341989317
BG1 is just as breakable as BG2. Bows are so fucking OP, you can kill everything without ever getting in dangerous situations.
>>
>>341985623
Don't listen to him, TuTu is deprecated and lacks mod support. Get Baldur's Gate Trilogy.
>>
>>341979360

Turn based and multiplayer games don't go together very well, in parties of five I could see it getting quite boring.

Check out Avernum 2, also a great isometric combat system
>>
>>341990085
>trilogy
there's only 2 baldur's gate games, stop shit posting.

get tutu.
>>
>>341989619

Speak for yourself, the instant I have to head south its 'oh guess who found him another 3 trolls?'

Ill get 'em.
>>
>>341990402
>Baldur's Gate
>turn-based
0/10
>>
>>341990484
No u. Stop clinging to outdated software

http://www.moddb.com/mods/baldurs-gate-trilogy
>>
>>341990554

Yeah basically. Things go in an initiative order and I can pause anytime to order my party individually, not the right words for the combat but you know what I mean. A big portion of party control is that ability to stop everything and strategize. I've done Neverwinter Knights co-op and it was a mess, almost diablo-style instead. I don't think baldurs gate's gameplay lends itself to multiplayer.
>>
>>341991235
>I don't think baldurs gate's gameplay lends itself to multiplayer.
This is bait
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.