[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
XCOM Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: header (1).jpg (34 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header (1).jpg
34 KB, 460x215
I just picked up Enemy Unknown. It was free on XBox, and I never tried an X Com before.

I really like this game. Decided I was gonna go Ironman mode from the getgo, and I'm playing on Classic. I would rather not dip down a difficulty, but I'm hitting walls in the second month.

My tactics are alright, I generally get through most, if not all engagements with everyone alive. Sometimes I'll lose a guy or two because of stupid decisions, or a failed gamble. I'm not worried about that.

My problem is getting people to stay in support. By the end of March I'm always down 3-4 countries, and then my money has dried up, or my research didn't pan out well and my entire squad gets beasted because I wasn't prepared.

I start out rushing towards arc thrower asap, then towards armor items. Anyone got any tips on how to better manage my base-game?
>>
>>341960613
Dont do any of the objectives for the main quest (except those you are forced to do in the start, obviously)
Spend every single cent on satellites
Any left over money should go towards increase in squad size

Doing main missions progresses the enemy AI faster than not, so there is no reason to do them until you are fully maxed out
More satellites = more money = more satellites = more money
getting those 2 extra troops are more important than anything else you could get in the same amount of time and you'll have some money left over anyway so spend it on that

Xcom is actually really poorly made in regards to the campaign part, its easily exploitable and unjustifiably unfair if you dont. And no, Xcom 2 didnt fix the campaign either.
>>
I wish they would make more "AAA" tacticool games.

I hate the shadowrun art style but I think I'm going to try it.
>>
>>341960971
That.. explains alot. Well shit.

Well I'm not opposed to doing the main objectives in stages, so I think I'll just do that instead of maxing everything out before I proceed. At least it'll be more fun, I guess.

Thanks, anon.
>>
>>341961324
I wish there were more games like xcom but real time
>>
>>341961537
Are there any games like that at all? I'd like to try one even if it sucks. I'm guess it'd be like a mini RTS with squads instead of armies and base building?
>>
Was really disappointed with XCOM 2 which sucks because I dropped $60 on it. Some good ideas but ultimately for me it just falls flat and isn't fun to play.

>>341961662
I think the original Syndacate might be like this.
>>
>>341961662
Newer Jagged Alliance games are sort of like that, although not really what I wanted
>>
>>341961537
Eh, I like turn-based more. I'll play FPS for real time stuff.
>>
>>341962085
>no game even like Xcom but FPS
Why god why
inb4 that shitty third person game, not even close
>>
>>341962145
I would really like an FPS where if you die, you assume control of another nameless character.
>>
>>341962714
Red Orchestra 2's single player is kind of like this. You have a certain amount of reinforcements and if you die you just respawn as another guy.
>>
>>341962949
Guess I should have clarified.

I'd like a reason to not die aside from losing 1 point in reinforcements. Maybe a simple skill tree that gets wiped, or weapon training or something.

I was thinking like X Com, and there's gotta be some legitimate risk management, something that makes a death matter, but also not incredibly punishing.
>>
So what was the verdict with Xcom2? I watched a lot of gameplay of it when it came out but can finally play it this summer? Did it get any good mods?
>>
>>341963524
Mediocre. You might enjoy it if you liked the initial reboot though. I didn't do anything with mods but I looked through them a bit and nothing really struck me as interesting.
>>
>>341961537
Like DoW2?

because you do not want that
>>
File: state of decay.jpg (88 KB, 770x300) Image search: [Google]
state of decay.jpg
88 KB, 770x300
>>341962714
Not an FPS but the concept is still there
>>
>>341961662

Dawn of War 2 is the closest thing I can think of, and I really enjoyed its campaigns.
>>
>>341963524
It's alright, it fixes some of the glaring issues in EU/EW but brings a whole cast of it's own problems. It also lacks long war so replay value is rather low; They should have optimized it better as well
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.