[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What made Ragnarok Online so good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: screenLoki294.jpg (68 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
screenLoki294.jpg
68 KB, 640x480
What made Ragnarok Online so good?
>>
all this comfy ass music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_3yQ2b4XBA
>>
stats
music
sprites/hats
skills/class balance
fun pvm
cards
WOE
non treadmill type gears
private servers
pvm is based mostly on classes and skills. only higher tier mvps require immunity/reducts
>>
Meeting ho's and banging them.
>>
>>341948773
has anyone compiled a full tracklist? this game has so many songs
>>
>>341948653
private servers

having high rate servers available meant i could quickly try out a class and see what i like. i dont want to spend 20 hours to unlock a class that turns out to be shit

fucking summoner bokor
>>
>>341949542
>download game
>open bgm folder
there you go
>>
>>341949702
oh right, it's been so long since I last played RO. I totally forgot how easy it was to access and change the BGM
>>
File: Rabbit_Ears.jpg (6 KB, 125x160) Image search: [Google]
Rabbit_Ears.jpg
6 KB, 125x160
- was part of the second generation of attempts to succeed with the recipe of merging together MMO and RPG (third being games like WoW, which from the get-go targeted a more international audience, something Gravity didn't do very well at first)
- was one of the best attempts at making an anime world in an MMO (at its time of release, anime and RPGs were HUGE in their target audience)
- the music was really good
- was well-fed by all of the private servers that popped up. many different flavors, always kept the game interesting, and pulled it out into the international audience far more than Gravity had intended
- quite a few creatives were drawn into the community. the vast amount of fan-art, music, and mods was very lively

also i think it's important to note that it was during a time when the MMO "recipe" hadn't reached its peak yet. a lot of its content was experimental, and you could have fun without the game trying to make money off of you at every turn.

did i mention the music? damn that music was good.
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 706x187) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 706x187
>>341948653
HATS
A
T
S
>>
>>341951778
poo hat + hunter fly pet > everything else
>>
>>341952009
Everybody wear poo har during WoE. Good time.
>>
File: 1462930607206.gif (2 MB, 496x366) Image search: [Google]
1462930607206.gif
2 MB, 496x366
>>341948773
Good stuff
>>
Group play, partying was very fun in RO, mobbing shit up, bragi and dancer songs, wizs casting shit.
>>
>>341948653
>comfy music
>comfy maps
>lewd monsters
>hats
>pretty good group play for the time
>>
Lots of grinding but no obstructive restrictions on your tools to do so like ToS's retarded cooldowns and target limits.
>>
>>341948653
Lack of actually good mmo games, animu artstyle that catered to weebs, and you were a kid back then.

In reality RO is a boring grindfest, with a decent character progression.
>>
>>341951778
Fucking hell I wish more games had cosmetic hats. I loved seeing all the cool hats people were wearing in Prontera.
>>
>>341952660
ToS sadly suffers from trying too hard to make Ragnarok popular in the age of a rather different MMO audience.
They were smart enough to include some of the original Ragnarok devs on-board, so that at least a bit of Ragnarok's charm was implemented, but sadly the gameplay is rather mediocre.
What we're left with is some very nice character art and music, but that's about it.

I forgot to mention here >>341951653 that Ragnarok was popular for a rather unique reason.
The private servers were literally the original official server software, stolen from the developers.
So from the get-go, most of the private servers were almost perfect, if not better, compared to official ones.
The whole concept of needing to reverse engineer the game was barely required, the head-start that international private servers had was basically stolen right from Gravity's computers during development...except for a bit of translation needed.

In fact, Gravity only survived this whole thing because Samsung purchased them and managed to quickly cannibalize iRO. So Ragnaroks popularity certainly wasn't much of a "success" financially, that's for sure.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.