[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went so horribly wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: mirrors-edge.jpg (369 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mirrors-edge.jpg
369 KB, 1920x1080
What went so horribly wrong?
>>
You paid money before researching.
>>
its so shallow that peole dont even care to shit on the game
>>
>>341941525
Nothing

You're upset that you can't pirate the game so you make this thread every fucking day with zero mentions of shit actually in the game
>>
Open world really ruined the game. Mirror's Edge was great because it was a level based game, each level you just had to get from point A to point B and you could do it as stylishly as you wanted, a bunch of levels even had a bit of a puzzle aspect to it. Catalyst is open world and you spend the majority of the game just trekking through the exact same areas back and forth, it's so fucking annoying and boring.

The music was really bland and uninspired too. I remember the first Mirror's Edge had a great soundtrack, so many levels either had an awesome tune that got you focused in the moment, or it was a really mellow soothing tune while you take in the environment or think about the puzzle. It was great. In Catalyst the music was just bland background noise i barely even remember hearing, the only two tracks that are actually Mirror's Edge-esque are the main theme and the credits music, both of which don't even play during the game.

Locking you out of core running moves like landing roll, leg tuck, quick turn, and double wall run behind a talent tree is really dumb.

The story was also really boring but the same can be said for the first Mirror's Edge too so this a null point really.

It's a shame, the game was so disappointing. I remember a lot of people on /v/ thought the game was going to be disappointing but they thought that for all the wrong reasons, most people figured it would be bad due to being too easy, too much feminism bullshit from anita, or because of shit like mandatory combat and 3rd person finishing moves. In the end either none of those were even a thing, or they at least were not prominent at all. The game ended up being bad for all different reasons.
>>
so this is open world sonic?
>>
>It's visuals are shit compared to the original.
>Story tries to be this big hollywood action scifi blockbuster.
>The entire game is a typical Ubisoft open world game.
They tried to do everything not like the original, besides the parkour.
>>
post the unedited pic
>>
feminism
>>
>>341944128
Some of the visuals are pretty good. I remember the 'high end' part of the city where all the rich people live was a really beautiful area, bright white and purple everywhere with cherry blossoms scattered about. It was really pretty.

Plenty of ugly areas though, which sadly are where the bulk of the game take place.
>>
I think its alright, im having fun finding the best routes for the dashes and 3 starring them. The story is really cringy but who played the first for the story either?

In the transition from linear levels to overworld of course level design quality has taken a hit, but its not as bad as it could have been. Im not finished yet but overall id say my biggets dissapointment is just how simple a lot of it feels i guess. I played all of ME1s extra time trials and i guess they spoiled me, those floating block ones mario sunshine style were fucking amazing, nothing this game has done can top that.

Seriously though, it is fun, it just could have been better with some focus on some more technical and interesting stages.
>>
>>341941525
My life
>>
I had fun but while I was playing I couldn't get off the feeling that it was Mediocre: the game. The missions that take you outside of the open world about nice and mostly well made. The combat is even worst than the original.
>>
Something that bothered me was sometimes the game feels like it punishes you for going through the environment fast and with style. I remember a handful of parts where if you're going through it fast you'll just die.

A couple off the top of my head are there's a mission where you're climbing a construction building and there's a part where you you jump a gap then wall run, quick turn and jump to a swinging pole, then there's an another swinging pole right in front of it, but if you try to swing to it you fall and die cause it's too far. What you're actually supposed to do it wall run, quick turn to the pole, STOP, climb onto the pole so you're standing then jump. Shit like that completely kills the flow and smoothness of the parkour. Especially because the way it's set up, when faith jumps to a swinging pole she almost automatically swings and jumps off because 99% of the time you're jumping to something else, it makes it feel smooth. You have to actively STOP her from doing the jump off on a couple of parts or else you fall and die which is really silly. The other part i remember clearly is the final mission you're climbing up steam pipes in an elevator shaft and debris is falling down, some of it can hit you and kill you while you're climbing, but you don't see it clearly ahead of time, you only see it when it gets close to you, and by that time you can't really avoid it because the way the pipes are set up none of them are on an even level, you can only move to another pipe from the top of another pipe. So when you see a debris you can't quickly turn and jump to another one, you're just fucked. This punishes you for moving through quickly, you have to die to some debris to know one is falling there so when you next get to that pipe you just have to stay and wait, then jump and go.
>>
>>341943013
>>341944117
>number one most asked for feature from fans since the original came out was open world parkour
>fans get it
>they shit all over it
Wow I didn't expect that
>>
>>341941525
Nothing, it's a really fun game. The open world aspect fits perfectly with the type of game that Mirror's Edge is. Faith is fucking hot, and the graphics / world design are even more stunning than the first game.
>>
File: 1306817667270.png (94 KB, 207x239) Image search: [Google]
1306817667270.png
94 KB, 207x239
>spend an hour on one public time trial
>reach 1st place on the leaderboard finally
>continue playing game
>30 min later, check again
>bumped down to 2nd place by some cunt
That motherfucker.
>>
>>341941525
no piracy to boost the hype
>>
what the fuck where's the crack, game looks boring as hell but i just want to get it for free so i can shit on it without buyer's remorse.
>>
>>341941525
People were expecting this to be good.
>>
>trying to appeal to a wider audience, while shitting on the people who liked the first one
>influenced by Anita
>all promotional imagery makes Faith look ugly as fuck
>shitty level design because muh open world

Gee, I wonder.
>>
>>341945953
I'm pretty sure the only thing I ever heard fans ask for was removal of gun combat/combat alltogether.
>>
>>341949686
>shitting on the people who liked the first one
How?
>>
>>341941525
What the fuck. She looks like that fucking mattress girl.
>>
File: 1369778546684.png (49 KB, 342x400) Image search: [Google]
1369778546684.png
49 KB, 342x400
>>341941525
>>
>>341941525
Reminder that this game actually came out.
>>
>it's an "I didn't play it but I'll bash the shit out of it because EA made it" episode
4channel is just endless reruns I see.
>>
>>341941525
Her face
>>
>>341953923
anything with EA on the cover is not good.
>>
File: ClOmrbhUYAAL92b.jpg (203 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ClOmrbhUYAAL92b.jpg
203 KB, 1920x1080
Open world is basically both a blessing and a curse for this game, but mostly a curse. It's not actually different from the first game in a sense that most story missions actually happen in premade levels rather than the open world and then the open world serves the function of free run tasks and Asscreed collectibles. On one hand it does make the game more meaty, on the other hand a lot of energy went into creating the said open world and story levels fall all sorts of flat compared to the first game.

The combat is whatever. AI is retarded as fuck. Not sure why they kept forcing it considering how poor it is. Storyline is boring edgy garbage filled with all sorts of madeup leetspeek and unappealing characters (Faith actually looks a bit more attractive in the game than on the cover, but nobody thought to shoot the artist who did the cover and look where we are now).

Overall the game is just... kinda boring. Just don't look out the edge of the map.
>>
>>341954349
I dunno, I'm having fun. I legitimately love the concept of Mirror's Edge and that's been retained in this game, regardless of the changes. I like open world in games. It's a solid 7/10 for me, a decent game to play.
>>
>dying light came out and had:
-better open world, more stuff in it
-pretty graphics, didn't look muddy
-better parkour

played like thirty mins of MEC, whatever magic was there when the first one came out is dead and gone
>>
>>341954701
Dying Light is awesome, but

>pretty graphics, didn't look muddy
MEC looks gorgeous, what are you talking about?

>better parkour
I think they're a close match but MEC is still better, since it challenges you in this area more than Dying Light does.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.