[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DarkSouls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: fromsoftware.png (2 MB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
fromsoftware.png
2 MB, 960x960
There's a difference between being hard to add challenge to it, and being hard to be retardly hard and sell your game on that. It's hard just for the sake of being hard. That's all this game is. What is the selling point besides that? The graphics aren't great. It's still running on the havok engine. The gameplay, if it weren't so difficult, it wouldn't be anything complex. Light attack, heavy attack, dodge projectiles, healing. Simple stuff. Most dungeon crawlers have this. So, what's so special?
>>
memes
>>
>>341895226
Dark Souls is rather easy. It's good because of atmosphere, level design, and gameplay, but retarded casuals don't understand those things and they're retarded casuals so they find the game hard. Because most video game players are retarded casuals, the developers/marketers embraced this misconception and now the game is considered "hard."

I think the game would benefit from a hard mode / a well-balanced difficulty mod.
>>
>>341895845
This guy gets it right.

Brebare to dye :-DDDD is a shit meme pushed by retards. DS is neither an especially difficult game nor is difficulty its main point of interest.
>>
>>341895226
Eh
>>
its not even hard
>>
>>341895226
You are actually describing DS2. The creator of Dark Souls specifically said that when he made Dark Souls the difficulty wasnt on his mind. He just wanted players to feel like they accomplished something after they finished it. It was Dark Souls 2 that took the hard difficulty meme and ran with it. They put a concerted effort into making the game difficult just for the sake of it.
>>
I will admit one thing now
I understand why Dark souls 1 is regarded as superior to 2
>>
You honestly sound like you didn't even play the game and just assumed that the "lmao hardest game EVAR XD" crowd was telling the truth.

Dark Souls is a pretty easy game. And the difficulty is not something they had in mind while developing it. The difficulty shit comes from Namco recognizing that people regarded Demon's Souls as challenging and decided to market Dark Souls that way.

If you want to see a game specifically designed to be challenging without an understanding of what is actually GOOD challenge, play Dark Souls 2.
>>
>>341895226
Dark Souls is not that hard
>>
>>341895226
I do see where you're coming from because I once thought the same thing. It's such a big deal because it's kind of taken the opposite direction of most big games nowadays. It's really a breath of fresh air because it holds true to being a role playing game. You are your character and that's all you know about yourself. The game doesn't hold your hand and the story is the one you create. It's truly a fresh breath of air from other popular games.

Personally, what intrigued me so much was the lore and that's what made me keep playing. I would get to a boss or an area and want to know their back story. Putting hours into finding items and watching videos to learn. The lore makes you feel like you're just another guy who thinks he can beat the challenges left before you. You can be the one who conquers sen's fortress and kindles the flame or you can be another fallen hero who can't get out of prison.

Visually the game is lacking. No argument there. No load times and unabridged world views are very cool though.

The combat is pretty cool. It gives you a sense of completion when you finally beat something you're struggling on and it makes you feel more like the champion undead you're meant to be.

The actual plot of Dark Souls 1 is vague but for good reason. You're not some random superhero traveler who just happens to have a dragon break up your execution, only to get you invited to a kingdom of ancient monks telling you what to do. You are a random traveler who has to think critically to find things out. First there's a bell of awakening to ring, then there's atually two bells to ring. You are lied to by the most friendly character in the game and helped by some of the most unfriendly. You can tell that no none thinks of you more than any other undead. It's a cool concept that fits the game perfectly.
>>
>>341895226
>tfw I think ds1 controls are trash
>everyone defends it

delayed controls doesnt make for great difficulty, im glad they fixed this is ds2 onward though
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.