[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Salt and sanctuary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 7
Thoughts on this /v/?
>>
The art style looks childish and gross
>>
Neat game, looking forward to a sequel.
Hopefully they will get support from a bigger publisher, would be interesting to see what they could do with more than two people.
>>
>>341881175
Alright.
Now to find the sanctuary
>>
Surprisingly good but actually gets easier and easier the further you progress (at least if you play with great swords, great hammers or guns) with only the occasional challenging boss here and there.
>>
>>341881396
try your mom's vagina
>>
File: gatodues.jpg (77 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
gatodues.jpg
77 KB, 500x600
>>341881396
Thou art a holy God!
Thou that is the God that protects from the evils of this earth, if thou wilt, please show favor upon us with thy protection, yea, thy holy protection.
>>
>>341881396
nifty
Still, I really dislike what theyve done with it. If we're going to have a 2D souls it should have gritty pixel graphics like SotN or something. Not this flashgame stuff.
>>
>>341881627
If you want my comeback, you need to scrape it of your moms face.
>>
something something scissor great swords

I haven't played it since I killed the dragon at the castle but it was sort of fun

Tons of problems though
>multiple enemies as difficulty
>enemies jumping you without any way to counter it
>skill tree is completely overblown and like a cancerous version of the one from path of exile
>>
>2D Dark Souls

I can't wait for this meme to end.
>>
>>341881109
p.good
There's a fair amount of breadth for a two-person Metroidvania.
I also liked the music. Some of the boss fights are fun. Some not as much, because they're trivial.
If they make another Metroidvania (and I hope they do), then I hope they balance the game a bit better.
>>
>>341881971
Or you can learn to accept the fact that many developers are taking heavy influence From the Souls games
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNy9M0r5Uvw
It had a pretty fuckin baller final boss.
>>
Can someone gift me this game?
>>
>>341882337
From Froms Souls games?
:^)
>>
>>341882461
sent ;)
>>
>>341881109
even though it looks interesting, it'll never get my money due to the deviant art-tier character art style
>>
the environment is way too repetitive to not have some kind of minimap but else its pretty good
>>
Do you think Salt and Sanctuary did well enough to have them port the Dishwasher games?
>>
>>341881774
All SKA games share the same artstyle
>>
>we want the dark souls audience but we're 2d sidescroller devs

Piece of shit
>>
>>341881109
It's ok. Buy it when it's under $10. Or pirate it now if you don't care
>>
>>341883729
2d > 3d
>>
>>341883729
>we want the dark souls audience but we're 2d sidescroller devs so we made an Igavania with some dark souls elements and a hint of DMC instead
>>
Game was pretty cool. Had some problems though.

Pros:
- Combat actually fun
- Some fun bosses

Cons:
- Art style is... divisive
- No map
- Balancing problems

The largest problem for me was the balancing. Boss difficulty varies wildly. Greatswords seem to be OP as fuck compared to other weapons. The last areas of the game are peppered with super annoying grab attacking enemies, with the possibility of one-hitting you. Gold seems to be mostly useless. Stuff like that.
>>
If you play it solo some of the bosses are really outrageously retarded luck fights due to the RNG. It took me like 40 minutes to finally defeat the alchemist because I couldn't stop or I'd die instantly with him only casting the purple scythes and blue lightning attacks. But if you play it co-op it's way too easy and by the time the boss goes into phase 2 you can usually just tank the hits and finish it off. Also shields on the whole make the game really easy, like my level 0 buckler can reduce a move that would deal 50% of my life down to 4 damage.

It's too bad that they make a big deal about the sanctuaries but there's almost no difference between any of them unless you're a wizard. And the skill tree is so huge and daunting but each major branch is just 40 baubles with different stats in them, 4 your weapon/armor ranks, and then a couple extra hp/mana potions. Maybe it looks impressive but it would've been a hundred times better to just make extra potions depend on your sanctuary and then let you put stat points wherever you want or rank up your weapon. Because the game really isn't any different between classes anyway.
>>
>>341884717
Witch of the Lake should be considered instant cons.
There was nothing fun or remarkable about that fight, it was all about trying to avoid the one-hit-kill magic machinegun
>>
>Gold seems to be mostly useless

From what I've played it really only serves two functions:
1.buy ammo for your guns which get overpowered as fuck later on and make everything a cakewalk
2.buy small bags of salt if you need that extra bit of XP for the next level, transmutation or weapon upgrade

Hell, if you're an asshole you can even ignore the death penalty by just alt+F4-ing out of the game.
Since the game only saves after you get dragged back to the sanctuary you'll be back to the last time the game autosaved, making the whole danger of losing your gold and salt completely trivial.
>>
Id like to give it a go but this artstyle looks like a newgrounds flash game from 2006
>>
>>341881109
Fuck you I like it.
>>
File: ookum bookum 3.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ookum bookum 3.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
I prefer catacomb kids
>>
>>341881109
I played it with a friend and enjoye it a lot, although the bosses felt out of order in terms of difficulty, the final boss was a cake walk that left us saying "Wait that's it?" but The Witch of the Lake forced us to grind like 10 levels before we barely managed to beat her.
>>
File: ookum bookum.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ookum bookum.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>341885782
>>
>>341885782
that artstyle is even worse

fucking pixelshit
>>
>>341885413
i liked the witch of the lake
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw1m2M8JdkU
>>
>>341881109
Looks like another god damn dark souls inspired sidescroller
>>
File: ookum bookum 2.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ookum bookum 2.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>341885895
>>
Mad Alchemist is unfair.
>>
>>341881109
It has no personality of its own. It's fine if you need something between Souls games I suppose
>>
>>341885912
I dont care about artstyle at all
I grew up with nes and snes
I care about the innovative gameplay and the physics of the game the most.
Your talking about in this game you can craft your own potions using the enviroment and you can create foods by grabbing spices you find on the ground and put it on a fire and you can make spiced potato, you can literally do that with everything in the game as well.
>>
>>341883917
What even is this opinion portraying
>>
My problem is that there's waaaaay too many humanoid enemies
>>
Is it out for vita yet?
>>
>>341886426
2d is objectively better then 3d
some indie games actually most are not good but classic snes and nes and genisis were the pinnacle of 2d games.
3d games dumbed down the challenge in the games and it has only gotten worse in that time which is gay
>>
>>341881109
Cool elements, shit gameplay. I regret purchasing it.
>>
Couldn't beat first boss. Got salty and refunded it.
>>
>>341886614
Indie resort to 2D because it's WAY less time consuming, 3D is the way to go if you want to have an actual immersive lf relatable experience, gameplay can be just as deep in 2D as 3D tho
>>
>>341887051
Gameplay depth is more important than immersion & in fact contributes to it though.

Matter of fact, lots of people call gameplay depth "immersion", confusing it with the whole "whoa it's like I'm really in the game" type of immersion. No, the right kind of immersion is gameplay depth that gets you immersed "in the zone".
>>
>>341887051
See
for me to be satisfied I want a 3d game that has the difficulty of nes or snes games
I want the perfect timing
I want the enemies that take 10 hits with a shitty item to kill them where they can kill you in 2 or even 1
I want reaction based gameplay where enemies swarm you or you die
but in 3d

I think 2d was the pinnacle of gaming because it required the most skill
>>
Haggers cavern boss and witch of the lake are pure bullshit. Had to use a tier 4 tower shield as a mage to cheese the fights.
Fun game though, put 30 hours into it.
>>
>>341887454
wasn't cavern boss just a big slow fat guy?
>>
>>341881396
kek to this but for real tho, I would've preferred a darker artstyle to suit the mood.
>>
Don't care until it's on Vita
>>
>>341881109
I'm really enjoying it so far. I was pleasantly surprised to find it's more metroidvania than it is souls. The souls formula is fine and everything I just really like metroidvanias and I never get them anymore.
>>
>>341887606
His fire gun has almost infinite range and does insane damage for that point in the game.
>>
>>341887426
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWpnPTpeJoA

modern game you might like.
>>
>>341886426
that i think 2d metroidvanias are better than 3d metroidvanias
The controls are tighter, since the devices used to control the games primarily evolved to control 2d games. There are fewer camera issues inherent to 2d games, which is valuable for building gameplay around avoiding damage.
2d maps generally involve much less dead space, they are also easier to model the flow of movement through, which makes it easier for the designer to make better layouts for the experience they want to convey, as well as to design around the stats of movement abilities.

3d does give you advantages in the flexibility of mob zone control, since the player has more movement options to play around it.
>>
>>341887794
His AI can also fuck up and he starts spamming that thing faster than you can dodge and the muzzle flash hitbox actually goes farther back than it should, so if you think you can hug that guy when he shoots you're still getting hit despite not even being near the part that should damage you.
Speaking of AI errors: almost all of my victories against the Tree of Men were due to its AI crapping out, resulting in it not moving or attacking anymore.
>>
>>341887662
Dude, let it go, Vita is dead.
>>
>>341888739
I agree. Salt is the best metroidvania I've played since Valdis story, but I think I might prefer Valdis.
>>
>>341888907
>metroidvania

More people need to be aware of the Metroidvania-aspects of this game.
By the end of it I was airdashing and walljumping like an idiot through the areas.
>>
>>341890517
I actually passed on it for a while because I thought it was just 2d souls. It basically just steals the leveling system, the rest feels more metroidvania for sure.
>>
>>341890728
the checkpoint system, refilling healing items, stamina, weapon scaling, weapon crafting and upgrading, shield blocking and parrying, weight load etc etc

it takes a LOT from souls
>>
>>341891175
Yeah fair enough. I was trying to get across it takes systems from souls but most of the gameplay mechanics are more metroidvania.
>>
Only really becomes fun if you don't let yourself heal.
>>
>>341881109
Surprisingly good, I expected it to be shit to mediocre and only tried it out because I enjoyed The dishwasher 2
>>
>>341887051
Relatable characters don't have to be in 3d. A character is good if they are written well, whether that character is in 2d or 3d makes no difference
>>
File: Survival Crisis Z.jpg (104 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Survival Crisis Z.jpg
104 KB, 640x480
>skastudios will never make Survival Crisis Z 2
>>
>>341881396
Underrated post
>>
Its pretty good. Im playing as mage and the lack of spells and incantations hurt my anus though.
>>
>>341881109
Just started this game. Picked Hunter because Noshield sounds fun and hard but I'm regretting it now because I get hit a LOT and rolling to dodge is naturally less useful in 2 dimensions as opposed to 3, and I'm having a hard time with the first boss.

What's a fun starting class, and what do all the starting gifts do as there are no descriptions?
>>
>>341893609
First boss killed me a few times too. I play with two hander no shield so it's definitely possible, it just takes an adjustment period.

I have no idea what allegience does so I just went with the default one, I hope it's nothing too important.
>>
>>341893609
starting class doesn't matter much, put points in str and greatswords for ez mode

you find a Kureimoa pretty quickly and it can last you for a long long time
>>
>>341893609
Just buy a shield from the shop and swap hand between your whip/shield and dagger/pistol.
None of the starting items are any good. Maybe the clear orb so you can take over the sanctuary in smile town. It's close to a lot of different places and common monsters you'd farm to raise your guild level.
>>
>>341893958
+10% salt ring is good
>>
>>341893609
Warriors and paladins with greatswords and -hammers are generally considered to be the best choice by most.

Hunters start out pretty weak but once you find a pistol you'll get stupidly overpowered and most combat strategies get thrown out of the window in favor of "shoot everything to shit from afar and occasionally roll".
>>
I got to the bird boss above the inquisitor guy and dropped it. How close was I to the end?
>>
>>341894083
Yeah, but you can buy or find one super early into the game. Also you can get way more souls if you start a co-op session with yourself as the player coming in and just leave P1 dead or in a menu so you can run around freely.
>>
>>341894276
not even halfway through
>>
>>341893784
>>341893789
>>341893958
>>341894221
Thanks

Also what's the tl;dr on the different religions you can pick?

This game seems pretty in-depth for something made by two people. Art direction isn't also nearly as bad as people make it out to be.
>>
>>341885860
I co-op'd the whole game with a frien, witch of the lake is RNG tier hard.

Its super easy to grind in local coop at the floating castle, He got two 100,000salt boss items and I got a shit load of levels. Took like 20 min tops if you have a mage.
>>
>>341894448
Well fug.

I thought the combat was mediocre and the hitboxes dont work well in 2d, making some attacks difficult or impossible to dodge. This is coming from someone who finished both das1 and 3. Also the combat and environment variety was much less interesting than souls.
>>
I like it more than Souls, but then again I've come to the conclusion that Souls just isn't for me.
>>
>>341894503
At first the religions do nothing, later on you can do fetch quests to deepen your devotion which unlocks extra items at merchants (these differ by creed, and there are creed-specific items you can't get any other way).
>>
>>341894503
the edgelord creed grants you access to spells you wouldn't otherwise get
the different creeds have different slightly health potions, and sell different items at their npcs
>>
I pirated it but the art is so bad and the gameplay is really slow and simple too. Not worth my time.
>>
>>341894503
The Three: run of the mill creed that starts out pretty lucrative but gets more irrelevant later on once weapon enhancement items become more common

Devara's Light: healing and stuff; has the best/fastest consumed healing items

Iron Ones: combat-focused

Stone Roots: poison shit

Keepers of Fire and Sky: magic

House of Splendor: money, money, money and healing items that poison you

Order of the Betrayer: debuff items, dark magic and edge
>>
Its pretty good if you can get over muh graffix.

Starts out as just 2d souls but turns into medieval metroid/sotn and thats when I really started to like it. Plenty of level skips and choice in where to go. Warping is all up to the user, not free either but a one time cost per location, massive skill tree thats actually really intuitive.

The transmuting needed to be explained better but its awesome.

7.5-8/10 easy. Would be more if bosses werent so random in difficulty and graffix and screen switching issues.
>>
Can you couch coop this game all the way through with a friend?
>>
>>341881109
Plays better than any Souls game or Bloodborne. It's hands down the best Souls like game.
>>
>>341894681
>Also the combat and environment variety was much less interesting than souls.

The combat was actually surprisingly varied, imho.
Hell, you can even do various combos and air-juggle average-sized enemies or use some weapons in various ways like the sword whips and scissor swords.
>>
>>341895658
Yes, you just need to re-ad him each time you start the game. You upgrade your checkpoints with NPC using items found. One of these, the sellsword is found very early and can be used at the very first checkpoint. You just need to get that far on both files.

Its easy to mix eachother up so I recommend wearing easily distinguishable clothing/armor or at least unique helmets.
>>
>>341881109
Terrible aesthetics and mediocre gameplay at best. Worth trying if you like the concept but that's it. Game feels like an ambitious flash game.
>>
>>341895885
So wait, his character won't be saved as well? Or level up?
>>
True story I made fanart for Blood Zero in 2004 and this guy is still making games. Blew my fucking mind. But the way I realized it was him was because his art still looks the same.
>>
Why the hell is NG+ so shit?
>nothing new added
>enemies are now damage sponges and bosses OHKO you even with the best armor, making it mostly pointless to wear
>rings don't stack
>can't further upgrade equipment
>entire weapon categories become underpowered
>salt-values from enemies seem randomly chosen, with harder enemies like those large guards giving just as much as three pushover starting enemies
>>
>>341881109
Think it's proof of why a thing becoming too popular is bad.
>>
>>341881109
The "abilities" you get are little more than glorified keys for glorified locks, as in Zelda games. The one to make your torches remove light beams is especially stupid.
Guides are such a necessity that they shouldn't even exist and should just be a default function.
The art style is awful between the horrible faces and the severe bloom and contrast in other areas.
Combat is nothing more than dodging through enemies and attacking between their attacks. Some enemies are impressively stupid like the teleporting skeletons.
Money is worthless.
I didn't find the lack of a map as much of a problem as most people seem to but it would still have been a good addition.

Overall it's kind of mediocre.
>>
>>341881109
I can tell from this screenshot alone that this is not a good game since the creators have clearly displayed that they lack enough taste to have a decent artstyle and lack enough creativity to create a unique look(seriously just take the ui make it in pixels and call it a day? grats you look like the 20 other shitty pixel "darksouls"). There is a complete lack of the creators thinking for themselves and when thinking up every aspect of the game it probably begins with "oh its like that part in [game] but 2d" with no further modifications.

Any creator who lacks both taste and creativity can not possibly make a good game.
>>
>>341897987
just like dark souls xD
>>
Wow! Is this game the DARKSOULS of sidescrollers?!?
>>
It's 2D Dark Souls with a little less polish than regular Dark Souls.

It's fun, but not great.

If you wanted more Dark Souls, this is the closest you're gonna get.
>>
>>341896256
His character gets all the items and experience you get aside from a few specific end game things. His levels and equipment are indeed saved. Only your world gets progress though so you would basically have to do the story twice to get both people to ng+. Other than that and the end game items you are both equal, you just need to load his file from a sellsword every time you play.
>>
>>341898393
>The "abilities" you get are little more than glorified keys for glorified locks,
Have you just never played a Metroidvania before or what
>>
I've been playing it the last couple days. Just kill the tree of men or whatever. Pretty solid so far. I think my biggest complaint might be the music actually, I'm not really loving it. The art is meh tier but doesn't bother me. The gameplay is solid.
>>
>>341898740
>I think my biggest complaint might be the music actually, I'm not really loving it.
Pretty common complaint. The game could really use a soundtrack expansion.
I ended up just turning the music off altogether
>>
>>341881109
It visually looks like trash.
>A platforming Dark Souls

I never understood the hype for this game.
>>
>>341898915
I turned it off and put in some Castlevania OSTs instead - the game instantly became ten times better.
>>
>>341898915
I just did that and I hadn't noticed all the background effects they had. Good call.

What do people mean by Guides are necessary? Is there some way to teleport I'm missing? I've been walking everywhere the entire game.

>>341899098
The core of the game is more of a metroidvania and I haven't gotten one of those in years.
>>
>>341898708
Any metroidvania or metroid-like worth its salt works in the exact opposite way. This is a key distinction between the Zelda and Metroid approaches to powerups.

In Zelda, you get a new item which lets you interact with a new object. These items rarely have any more use than to interact with that specific object, and as such you never use them for anything else. This is how they function as "keys".

In Metroid, you get powerups (bomb, high jump, wave beam, speed booster) that let you interact with new objects or access new areas but also have practical uses within their own function, such as improving your mobility or combat strength passively, which makes a permanent and conscious impact on the way you play the game at any given moment. They are integrated into your basic moveset and control options.

Any metroidvania that uses the Zelda approach rather than the Metroid approach as described above can hardly be called a metroidvania at all. And no, the Souls games are absolutely not metroidvanias in any way, shape, or form.
>>
>>341881109
they're not even trying to hide the fact that they're ripping off demon's sperm
>>
Is there a mod to remove the ugly faces yet?
>>
>>341899263
>Is there some way to teleport I'm missing?

Guides let you teleport between sanctuaries and they sell horns that let you travel to creeds with guides in them.
>>
>>341899315
Metroid has both as does salt, salt just needed two more movement based brands to expands the exploration in a different way but its still good.

Stay sanctuary kid.
>>
>>341881396
haha, good one.
>>
>>341899438
It's called the "wear a helmet" mod.
>>
>>341899597
>Stay sanctuary kid.

how appropriate for a meme game to have a literal meme in its title
>>
where the fuck is the princess
went through the whole thing and still don't know what happened to her
>>
>>341899537
Holy shit. Those offerings actually make npcs. I was saving them because I hate wasting shit when I don't know what it does.

>>341899597
I thought some of the upside down platforming was kind of neat. The walljumping feels pretty good too.

Side note while we're sort of having a metroidvania discussion, has anyone played any good ones lately? The last really great one I played was Valdis Story but I'm always interested in playing more.
>>
>>341899597
>Metroid has both
I didn't say it didn't, but that's what defines Metroid's powerups.
>as does salt
No, not really. Only the wall jump can be seen as something helpful more than at specific points, and it's never particularly useful regardless.
>>
Is there any penalty for swapping creeds a bunch of times? I assume any sanctuary I've claimed remains the same so I'd have to use that one item to regain functionality, but is there anything stopping me from just switching to a new creed to make use of the NPC's at each sanctuary?
>>
>>341899887
Guacamelee was excellent
>>
File: 201341983919875970.jpg (47 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
201341983919875970.jpg
47 KB, 600x450
>>341899887
If you don't mind godawful graphics and awkward PG-13 rape then Nightmare Sphere might be worth checking out.
SUre, it looks like shit and two of the enemies are ripped off models of the Predator and the Starship Troopers arachnoid but it plays surprisingly well and even has two vastly different endings.

Also it's free.
>>
>>341900246
>air dash isnt an ability

Combining those two with the upside down segments leads to some neat secrets and shortcuts to unlock.

Like I said if I had 2 more it would have 4 movement abilities and 2 asstarded key abilities, much like a metroid titles ratio.
>>
>>341881109
I enjoyed most of it but the platforming was ass. They could have removed the platforming sections completely and nothing of value would have been lost. Either that or fix their jumping.
>>
>>341900259
I might be wrong but IIRC some NPCs start refusing to speak to you and even attack you.
>>
>>341900259
It counts as a sin to revoke your creed. I forget why thats bad you its cheap enough to remove.

Corruption is a whole different thing though and nothing to worry about until you find the secret creeds.
>>
>>341900823
Oh shit, so that's what sin is. Thanks.
>>
>>341900378
Played than one. Honestly other than a couple castlevanias I still need to get to ( the one with shanoa and one or two others) I think I've played most of the decent ones.

>>341900448
Ok, I'll take a look. Thanks.
Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.