[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are graphical downgrades being more prominent and accepted?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: 1446038865458.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1446038865458.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
Why are graphical downgrades being more prominent and accepted?
>>
People got used to being lied to so now they expect it
>>
There's no such thing.
>>
it started when the new generation came out ~3 years ago
and the games before that had looked generally the same on the 360 and ps3 for like 5 years
my point is that the people who manly play games now isnt old enough to remember a time when downgrades Wasnt a thing
>>
>>341868589

"accepted" by who exactly?

The only people pushing downgrades are "good" are PR and then the sheeps just agree blindly that its good.
>>
Graphics haven't ever been important, I feel like downgrades don't exactly exist just optimistic pre-renders of smaller builds of the game.
>>
>>341869368
>Graphics haven't ever been important
according to whom?
certainly not you average player or the company trying to seize his monies
>>
>>341869368
Are you like 12 or some shit?
>>
>>341869469
>>341869542

I'm in my mid thirties. I remember playing Zork II. They aren't, we've been at a comparable level of graphic fidelity for years and it hasn't improved gameplay at all, I'm happy if a developer sacrifices polygons to make room for real depth.

The Avernum series, Zork II and Stronghold are examples I'll use to prove graphics contribute the least to a games playability.
>>
>>341869804
what you are happy with doesnt exactly equal whats "important" by industry standards
>>
>>341869931

You're right but now that there aren't any huge graphical leaps to make aside from photorealism, why would they be considered an important feature?

>GAME HAS GREAT GRAPHICS
Is not a selling point to me
>>
Trailers are ads and you have to treat them like ads. Developers want you to buy their game, it's only natural they modify their trailers to make the game look better.
>>
>>341870106
you must take into account that the people the market currently focuses on grew up with the late ps2 early ps3 as their initial systems
they certainly never played Zork and, by virtue of their age or lack there of, needs to be dazzled by the game to get interested
>>
>>341868589
because VR can only run smoothly with Tron graphics, lines and shapes and that's about it.
>>
>>341870423

Alright from an industry perspective ill concede they make an important difference. I appreciated this discussion, very civil
>>
>>341868589
The games industry is full of sleazy jews nowadays

Look at Nvidia, they give out special "press only" drivers to reviewers which remove certain graphical effects to improve framerate.

And now every game dev shows a trailer where the game runs at 4K on Ultra and then they edit it on post to make it look even better.

It's either pre-rendered bullshit or just straight up lie.
>>
File: 1452190313588.jpg (115 KB, 509x501) Image search: [Google]
1452190313588.jpg
115 KB, 509x501
>>341868589
Consolecucks

Current gen consoles shipped unbelievably underpowered. So underpowered that both console manufacturers are making the PS4k and Scorpio to try and make up for it. Despite the manufacures themselves making the ultimate admission of this by making their consoles all over again consolecucks have such low standards that they just accepted the downgrades, even denying that they happened.

Myths like "the human eye can't see above 30 fps" started being circulated to try and hide the reality.
>>
>>341869804
>I'm old
>graphics doesn't matter
>I am so jaded my dick hurts constantly
Fuck off you fucking loser.
>>
>>341868589
Things have always been this way. Forever. You blithering idiot. There's no such thing as "downgraded" games. That's a retarded entitled /v/ term perpetuated be morons like yourself.
>>
>>341868589
we figured out what bullshots are
>>
>>341870856
But Witcher apologists are to blame, especially so on PC.
>>
>>341871093
>MUH GRAPHIX
>GOTTA HAVE DEM PRETTY SHINY GRAPHIX
>Not good gameplay or anything oh no lets shove all the money into making sure we have the most pixels!
>>
>>341871612
I'll be the first to admit that

Then again I've never played The Witcher
>>
>>341871753
Why not both?

Also,
>that spergout
kys
>>
Because who gives le fuck

Chasing higher graphics fidelity has been the single biggest factor holding high-budget gaming back for over 15 years
>>
>>341871870
Because the more effort and money that is being spent on visuals the less is being spent of the gameplay you dense motherfucker. I'm not playing a game because I want to look at a shitty cg painting, I'm playing a game because I want to play a game.
>>
>>341872335
>says the consolefag as he's shoving 27fps garbage in his mouth
i bet you thik framerate is graphix too uh ?
>>
>>341869368
>Graphics haven't ever been important
>What are Doom and Quake
>>
>>341871093

I didn't say any of those things other than graphics aren't very important to how I value a game, and then I admitted that graphics are important for the industry.
>>
>>341872487
I'm on PC you brand wars fighting piece of shit.
>>
>>341868589
I'd rather play at minimum 50FPS but preferably 60FPS than care about details on a fucking flower or the shadow of whatever is behind me.
>>
Because

get this

they have always been around.

A isolated part of a game is very different from the finished product. As developers start piecing together the game they realize that the the game will have to be downgraded to even run properly.

Go back and look at some pre-release footage of MGS1. Or how about the fact that Donkey Kong 64 had to come with a fucking N64 expansion pack because the memory literally couldn't handle the whole game, and when they noticed the final build was already done.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.