[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
I've never played any other monster hunter, but I've heard it's one of the best things for the 3DS. Is it any good without online mode? What about the upcoming Generations one?
>>
>>341860507
It requires a lot of patience, and even 4 Ultimate didn't have an easy welcoming.

It becomes really satisfying once you get the hang of it, though. Especially if you have buds to play with online.
>>
>>341860507
Totally worth it

I've been wanting to get back into it but with MHX a month away I think I'm just gonna wait. Shame I never got past G-Rank Teostra.
>>
>>341860507
This series is one of the best things to happen to gaming.
>>
>>341860507
If you haven't played any monster hunter you might want to pirate/ borrow it first. It's a hit or miss game.
>>
>>341860507
>buying 4u when generations is around the corner

i mean sure theres still people playing 3u even but come on
>>
>>341860883

I was going to ask that, they're stand alone games, right? Like, if I were to buy ultimate and ignore 3 and 4 I would still be good.
>>
>>341861031
4 was japan exclusive i think
3 was wii exclusive
3u is on 3ds and wii u but the 3ds version cant go online by itself
4u is 3ds only. there are better textures if you play on a n3ds

there are some monsters in 3u not in 4u and vice versa but 4u has the bigger monster variety. plus there are a bunch of new mechanics in 4u than in 3u

i think generations will have more monsters than 4u plus even more new mechanics. i havent really looked into generations much
>>
>>341861517
I think it actually has like 4 less than 4u but piles of new mechanics. Generations is a sort of spin off. Not that different but I could still play both plus 4u actually has better texturing, so I think that getting 4u on sale is good place to start. I still play all of them a good bit
>>
>>341860507
Get it, it's easily what I've been playing the most.
>>
>Is it any good without online mode?
if you can get into the core of the game, which is the combat, yes, it's very very fucking worth it, solo or online

>What about the upcoming Generations one?
it's good

either get 3 Ultimate on WiiU, or on 3DS (but the 3DS version needs a WiiU to play online, you don't need the game on the WiiU though), or 4 Ultimate (probably the best entry point at this point in the series, more fluid gameplay than 3, has online), or wait for Generations to come out

have you played Souls games? the combat is rather simmilar, but somewhat slower and without lock-on, and you HAVE to learn patterns or you're fucked, you won't be able to brute force your way through high rank (save maybe a couple monsters that have really low hp) and above like you can in a lot of parts of the Souls games, because the monsters have a lot of hp, so they take long to kill and you'll end up taking too much damage before being able to kill them

I'm ~300 hours into MH3U, clearing the last port quests now, and ~10 hours into MH4U
>>
>>341864542
>or on 3DS
Only if you have a Circle Pad Pro or N3DS though. This guy forgor to tell you 3U's underwater battles are hell on the O3DS without CPP.
>>
Anyone kinda disappointing with X? The game just feels really off

Doesn't help that I miss how rifles are in Toukiden compared to the bowguns
>>
>>341860507

MH games are usually good, but they involve an absolute fuck load of grinding. If you dislike grinding, they might not be the games for you.
>>
>>341860507
Play Generations

Hunting Arts/Styles are probably going to be the norm in future games
>>
>>341867018
I hope not, unless they change them a lot
>>
>>341867017
you're completely wrong though, you can breeze through most of the game, having to repeat 1 monster a few times to get a decent armor for low rank, one for high rank and one for g rank, and sometimes repeat a monster to upgrade your weapon

unless you're an autist who wants to have every piece of equipment, in that case you're fucked
>>
>>341867942
Same.

Been around since Freedom 1 on PSP and I can't get into Generations.
>>
>>341867942
>>341868320
Are you so against progress in the series that you automatically stonewall anything new or do you really think the styles systems are that shit and can't be improved upon?

These games need innovation and if it takes a wonky game or so to implement new things it should be forgiven.
>>
>>341868510
Nah I've not stonewalled it.

I've tried the game on my hacked 3DS and I just didn't like the new combat systems.

I'd love to see what they do with it in the future.
>>
>>341868510
people cling onto the MUH ANIME meme despite all weapon arts basically amplifying what the weapon already excels at, and looking at their motion values they aren't even a huge focus
>>
>>341868732
Okay

have you considered playing guild style and really disregarding all of that?
>>
>>341868510
Progress and "innovation" do not always go the correct way.

The style system just isn't interesting and I'd rather they'd just advance the base move set so they can better formulate a game around it. As it stands some shit feels broken, other useless and most of the time it just feels wonky as fuck. The arts have a similar issue, I'd move rather see the add a lot more to the base moveset.

The monsters also just don't seem suited around these changes, especially when you do a hop on a monster and go flying over cause it is way to small.
>>
>>341869387
You think adding to the standard moveset wouldn't carry the same issues? A lot of moves already never see use because there's a "default combo" all the weapons perform, all you talked about is the problems of developing on anything ever
>>
>>341869520
I want that last part of my post in general. Instead making the base combat more deep they slapped on some styles and power ups they didn't really think about

> all you talked about is the problems of developing on anything ever
And a good game deals with those issues, X doesn't
>>
>>341861925
>Generations is sort of a spin-off
Not really. It's outside the general generational entry formula a bit, but it's an experimental anniversary entry, not a spin-off.

>>341861517
Generations drops a handful of the Gen1 and 2 monsters for new monsters exclusive to Generations and to bring back some completely other Gen2 and 3 monsters. The Guild Quest mechanic is dropped, as are Apex and Frenzy (for monsters, you can still get Frenzied by Gore or Shagaru), however a new Deviant Quest system has been introduced for each of the Deviant monsters (subspecies were largely dropped in Gen for Deviants, also known as Two-Name monsters, such as Golden Thunder Zinogre, or Black Flame Prince Rathalos or Deadly Poison Princess Rathian) that levels from 1 to 10.

The crafting system is largely different in Generations. You craft stuff, and level it up by just jamming monster parts in it to increase its rank and values, then use rare bits at the end for the final upgrades.

There is also, in place of Frenzy, an "Outrage" mechanic where some monsters will have a strange... cloud? That travels to different parts of their body based on how they attack, and if you attack that body part, you'll deal more damage and get more hunter art energy, I think.

In addition to the standard weapon overhauls with every entry that we've come to expect...
>SnS: Blade Oils
>Gunlance: Heat Gauge
>Lance: Enhanced third poke
>SA: Finisher hits three times
>LS: Returned to the 3U aura style
>Bow: Power Shots on all bows, new coatings
>Bowguns: Unique Internal Shots, new shots, no limiter release
>Hunting Horn: Upgraded Notes

We've also got 3 unique "Hunter Arts" per weapon plus several universal Hunting Arts, and three additional "Hunting Styles" on top of the standard style. Guild (Standard) has two art slots, Aerial (front roll to enemy step) has one art slot, Striker (more arts charged faster) has three, and Adept (Bayonetta dodge) has one.
>>
definitely
>>
>>341867942
I think Adept should really have a smaller window instead of being free E+3. Actually earn that Adept Bonus by being familiar with the game. A forced standard dodge window, if not slightly smaller, and locking you out of Evasion+ skills would be good.

Also, they need to bring back the 4U Aura System but revamp it so that white is 1.10 and yellow is 1.20 so the gradual increase in power feels more consistent and LS-users will get more power over the long run, since Arts and certain styles already address the fact that it was a pain to raise your aura in 4U, and with certain arts/styles it would be easy peasy to get back up to red. Maybe reduce red to 1.25 though due to how easy it would be. Striker should be the 3U aura style though, complete with 3U power bonuses.

My primary issue, I think, is that some hunter arts feel very pointless, while others feel like they take the weapon in the wrong direction. Let's take SA for instance.

Many SA users have been lamenting for a long time how pointless the Axe feels in comparison to the Sword, given that Sword with a Power Phial will always deal more damage than Axe, and Axe's reach and mobility actually don't make up for that a whole lot. With this particular entry, nearly the entirety of SA's hunter arts focus on Sword Mode, and furthermore with this fact, basically three of its hunting styles focus on sword mode.

Striker and Guild because having 2+ hunting arts means Demon Sword and Energy Recharge for literal infinite sword mode with extra power, and Aerial because sword mode gets a hit going up when you jump up and why wouldn't you use that with Demon Sword for insane mounting rates and damage output? Adept feels like the only style that gives Axe a fair shake because you dodge into the finisher.

Also literally why would you ever use Bushido with Insect Glaive when you could use Aerial and become a human Nargacuga?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.