[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mount & Blade: Warband
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 20
Hello guys. Calling all the Warband fans in this thread. I a newer player so I also want to ask you guys for a bit of advice with both ingame things and mod installing.

NOTE: I currently have the pirated version but don't worry, when the summer sale comes I'll definitely buy it. I'm just reasonably broke atm.

Version: 1.166

Q1: Right now, I have around 55 men under my command and I'm a vassal to the kingdom of Nords. I went through wars with Swadia and Vaegris which we pretty much won both. There are truces on them. By baiting the Vaegris kingdom Boyars with bigger armies than mine into the mountains (i had about 25 men then) I won quite a few outnumbered battles and won the war for the nords. Also took a castle but since I wasn't a Vassal I didn't get it. Now, there are two truces, and I have nothing to do. Any recommendations? I am kinda stuck hunting thieves, raiders etc. All the wuests are like "train these men from recruits to huscarls!" sure and how am I supposed to do it.

Q2: I just tried installing the Floris Mod pack but the moment it jumps into the battle it crashes. What do I do? (All I did was drag the files into the main M&B folder.
>>
>>341856514
Keep it vanilla for the first time. Install Diplomacy mod.
>Any recommendations?
MAKE INVESTMENTS
Buy productive enterprises
Increase your renown: To become a vassal you will need a certain amount.
Improve your relations with the lords: Good relations with the King lessens the renown requirement
Improve relations with settlements: if the town likes you it would have better items for sale, if the village likes you you can get far more recruits, and you can get them already upgraded to tier 2.
Improve your HONORU
>>
>>341856514
use MB editor and ramp up honor/renown/relation points you get.
>>
>>341857496
Got a link outside of steam Workshop?
>>
>>341857709
nvm got it.
Also, are the following tips usable without the Diplomacy mod?
>>
>>341857496
Also, the diplomacy mod is for an older version than mine so I would have to downgrade which means torrenting the corrent version and reinstalling. Is it any way to make it work on 1.166?
>>
>>341857603
DON'T do this. It ruins the game. I had 300h+ on m&b, beat it twice and looked forward to doing a warsword campaign. I tried character editing for the first time, completely killed it for me; sure, it's fun for a few hours, but after that, it has completely ruined the rpg-part of the game.

>>341856514
What I do in times of peace is roam around everywhere to recruit troops. If you're using nords, you want huscarls, but then you have no cavalry or archers. Go visit other lands, get rhodok sharpshooters, swadian knights, mamlukes, etc. Also, cash in on tournaments.

Any other questions?
>>
>>341858497
Yup! How do I build my relationships with other Jarls and the King other than doing quests for them?
>>
>>341857496
>Improve your HONORU
Or don't, either go max honor or max negative honor
Kinda like KotOR
>>
>>341858650
Go in battles with them and then speak to them, they'll generally say something like "I'll never forget how we rode against the enemy in the battle of X". A good way is to rescue them if they get imprisoned. Lots of cash, XP and renown for that too.
>>
>>341858650
Also, most of the quests they give me are super hard and you have to walk around like a retard to finish them. For example, during the war, one of the Jarls told me his brother has been kidnapped by some Boyar Xxxx and that I have to save him. Not saying a location or anything. I had to walk through the kingdom of Vaegris and fight countless outnumbered battle to find the guy just to realizte he has 150 troops on him.
>>
Also guys, where do I find the Renown and Honor points? You guys keep talking about it and all I know is that "Your relations with King Ragnar have changed from 2 to 4"
>>
>>341858794
Yes, but I never stumble upon an army with an imprisoned Jarl and I was too weak in the war to roam freely into the enemy land.
>>
>>341858994
The beginning of Warband is always a bit of a 'hobo stage'. It's going to be a long way up until you can go toe to toe with the enemy yourself. Be sure to tag along the marshall when he goes on a campaign, or with a big lord, even though the AI can be a bit retarded so anything goes from there.
Protip: if you ever want to restart, don't forget to export your character, you'll begin with a powerhouse and the early game will be way faster.
>>
File: mb1.jpg (390 KB, 1276x720) Image search: [Google]
mb1.jpg
390 KB, 1276x720
>>341859191
Right now I am strong enough, that was back in the war. This is what I'm working with right now.
>>
>>341856514
If you have nothing to do, you can still easily switch factions since you are not a vassal yet. Just wait till your contract is up then join a faction thats at war currently.
Other tips
>Gather as much compatible companions as you can
>Recruit as much troops as you can, but watch their morale
>If you don't know this yet. There's a difference between party skills and personal skills. Be sure to have your companions level the party skills so you don't waste points, although it sometimes is usefull to invest in some party skills yourself
>Like some other guy probably said, farm money untill you can buy enterprises. Always buy the most expensive one in native
>Looting is a great way to make dough early on, but remember it costs you relations with the lord which village you are raiding
>>
GUYS! I AM ALREADY A NORD VASSAL!
>>
>>341859537
>>341859535
Please check out the picture :)
Also, what are the Vaegris troops best at?
>>
>>341858936
Just go to "camp" and then "character report". you should be able to see renown and honor there. Also in camp is something like character relations, where you can see your relations with all lords.
You can see the strength of each faction and their lords in notes
>>
>>341859712
oh, thank you very much
>>
>>341859191
Hobo stage is pretty fun though, once you have a small band of decently-trained units. Bandit packs bigger than you charge straight for you thinking you're easy pickings and get their asses handed to them due to huscarl shield wall supported by archers, with you leading your merry handful of cavalry on a flanking charge.
>>
Okay guys I just looked up my Honour and Renown. My character is level 18. Is 327 renown good? Also, I only have 3 honor points.
>>
>>341859667
>Also, what are the Vaegris troops best at?
At dying.
>>
>>341860306
Crap. I just hired seven of them
>>
>>341859667
Vaegir troops are kind of Jack of all trades types. They are mediocre at everything.
If you don't know this yet, these are the factions specialty
>Swadia = Cavalry
>Nords = Infrantry
>Rhodoks = Crossbowmen
>Sarranids = Maybe slightly less good cavalry and decent archers
>Vaegirs = Jack of all trades, but with decent archers
>Khergits = Worse cavalry than Swadia and Sarranids, but every unit is on horseback. Terrible at sieges
Easiest way to win everything is to just roll with only Swadian knights. Nords and Rhodoks are better at sieges though. I'd stick with one of these factions for your first playthrough. Or combine units from these factions
>>
File: Mount_&_Blade_1418593155638.jpg (186 KB, 823x563) Image search: [Google]
Mount_&_Blade_1418593155638.jpg
186 KB, 823x563
>>341856514
Floris is shit don't bother. At most install Diplomacy and maybe the one where you can become a rank and file footsoldier.

For money, make some trading runs and then start buying up properties. The game implies buying too much of one can mess with the economy, but that's a lie. Just get a dyeworks in every city. Some cities have much greater profit from other industries so you need to check beforehand, but rule of thumb is Dyeworks = most profit.

Peace is precious, anon. Use that time to build up your troops and strengthen your forces. You'll be warring again before you know it.
Oh, and be a bro to Ragnar. He's a bro to his bros. My personal suggestion: don't bother just hoping for any fief. Choose a city you want to be yours, and aim for fiefs surrounding it. It becomes very hard to defend your lands later on if your properties are spread out around the continent.
>>
Whats are the best skills to upgrade early?
>>
>>341860389
Oh and it should be noted that crossbowmen are a lot better than archers in this game.
>>
I just got the village of Ruvar as a fief. It is in a terrible condition. I have 38k denars. What should I build first?

(Also set up a tc)
>>
>>341860389
Rhodok Sharpshooters may be the best ranged unit, but honestly Vaegir Snipers aren't far behind. They are absurdly good with those boys.
>>
>>341860405
How do i buy properties? When I get to a big city (like Sargoth) I only ever see things like marketplace, City hall, tavern etc.
>>
>>341860748
Talk to the guildmaster, ask him about it. He'll give you an estimate on costs and profits for each industry.
>>
>>341860643
Also, should I upgrade my engineering before building somethng? I am currently at 0
>>
>>341860389
>Nords and Rhodoks are better at sieges
I don't know with Nords.
I tried the Huscarls but those fuckers died too fast. Especially considering it takes way longer to train them than to train other infantry.
>>
>>341860804
Guildmaster is the guy I have to find in the city right?
>>
>>341860914
Just the first time you talk to them I think, yes.
>>
>>341859667
Vaegir Marksmen are pretty good archers. They shoot bows instead of crossbows - I think they put out better damage over time and have more ammo but they don't have the same alpha damage as a crossbowman - a Rhodok Sharpshooter with his siege crossbow can kill most trash soldiers in one hit.

Vaegirs are kinda crippled by their aversion to shields, instead they carry two-handed weapons. They suffer under archer fire and die in sieges.

In the field, combined arms is really the way to go. Nord infantry are your anvil, Swadian cavalry are your hammer. Get the enemy between the hammer and anvil then smash the fuck out of them. Vaegir or Rhodok archers are nice to have as support but shouldn't be your main force.

Sieges are where Nords really shine; they have large shields and tough armor helping them survive the assault, and they carry short-ranged axes which are great for swinging in the crush of a siege. Again, some Rhodok sharpshooters in support are useful.

For defending castles and towns, I tend to garrison a bunch of Rhodok crossbowmen and a few elite Nord infantry then fill it out with a few hundred trash peasants from whatever indiginous faction is nearby. A few Nord Huscarls can hold a chokepoint against ten times their number.
>>
>>341860479
Depends on your playstyle. I always get my combat skills up a little first. And I usually pick trainer, leadership, prisoner management and tactics as skills to level. tactics and trainer are kind of optional to level though, as you can also let companions take care of that skill
>>341860643
Investing in fiefs is not really worth it most of the time. I'd wait with doing that untill you have nothing else to spend your money on
>>
>>341859667
Vaegirs have the best archers when it comes to fire rate/damage, meh cavalry and pretty bad elite infantry, compared to other factions. I'd level those vaegirs to marksmen if I was you, and I'd get some swadian knights. Knights make field battles a lot easier.

You've got a pretty ok group of boyz, 4/10. You need some followers though, npcs who you can get in taverns.
>>
>>341860885
I don't know how you fucked up that bad, they're by far the best foot unit. They wreck anything as long as there's a decent enough number of them to wall up. And on siege defense they're rape as well because they'll axe your enemies a question from a distance.

Honestly, I don't even bother with cavalry in M&B, Huscarls and Rhodok crossbowmen are all you need, plus a small unit of Knights or Mamelukes to chase down Khergit bowmen.
>>
>>341860703
Yeah, they're pretty good. But Rhodok sharpshooters are better because
>They have a shield
>Better melee capabilities
>During their reload, they crouch which causes the AI to miss them more often
>They do more ranged damage per shot
>>341860885
Well Nords are by far the best infrantry unit. They should beat just about everything during sieges if you have enough
>>
>>341860885
Its mostly the large shields and throwing weapons that make them pretty good as attackers in sieges, Sawadian Knights are also a decent choice with their heavy armor but they don't normally spawn with throwing weapons and their shields are smaller.

I wouldn't say anything bad about Nords though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYTRsEtqKps
>>
Okay guys, I just bought Dyeworks in Sargoth which is currently the third richest city in the world.
>>
>>341860885
Are you using formation commands? Huscarls are tough, but they really shine when there's enough to form a shieldwall with multiple ranks.
>>
>>341861779
Recruit shit troops by the hundreds. Basic troops don't cost much upkeep, but the AI doesn't care if you have knights or naked peasants as long as you have many of them he won't attack.
>>
Also guys, I really want to train some Swadian knights but since I was in war with them, nobody is willing to follow me. What do I do? The quest the village elder is offering me is to get 7 heads of cattle. I don¨t even know how to get them or where to find them...
>>
>>341862090
Well anon you should have thought about that before raiding their villages and raping their people. No shit they don't want to follow you.
>>
>>341862215
Shit.
>>
>>341862247
Find villages you didn't raze to the ground, they probably won't hate you THAT much.

Also the cattle quests are not very hard but pretty boring: go to a different village, talk to the mayor, ask to buy his cows. If you need 9 heads you can buy 5, then 4, and take all 9 together.
>>
>>341862090
You can get the cattle at another village, you can buy them from the elder or steal them. Moving cattle is a chore though, so try to get the cattle from the closest nearby village.

You can get swadian knights again after the factions have made a truce. Since you are just starting out and probably won't have any top tier units for a while anyway. You can go with Khergit or Sarranid cavalry until you can recruit swadians again.

Last tip. When you gather some companions be sure to level their trainer, make them all trainers. It's the most usefull skill for getting a good army quickly
>>
How much butter will appease the Feast Lord?
>>
>>341862574
All of it. And nothing less
>>
>>341862090
>The quest the village elder is offering me is to get 7 heads of cattle.
Don't do this quest
Not worth it
The only good vilage quests are training in preparation for bandits and giving them grain
Also you should check out taverns regularly and ask for jobs to the owner
They give you hints about what worthwhile quests the faction's lords have to give you
If there isn't any you can do the guildmasters' quests which are usually easy to complete
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (850 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
850 KB, 1920x1080
Alright guys, which faction should I go after now? Aiming for world domination here
>>
OP what difficulty stats are you playing on? Max damage to yourself and your allies is the way to go, don't let any of these faggots tell you otherwise.
>>
File: muh kingdom.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
muh kingdom.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
>>341862969
>>
>>341863047
show world map
>>
>>341862429
Thanks for the tip mate. Just to clear things up, I am already level 18. In post I just talked about when the war was going on. Check out this pic of my troops: >>341859535
>>
>>341862964
Guildmaster's quests fucking suck, they keep sending you to track down robbers which is a MONSTER waste of time.

The only city quests worth doing are directly from the lord. You want the bandit hideout quests and the rescue lord from prison quests. Prison quests are especially great if you're neutral because you can just walk into the city with no trouble, but even if they're hostile to you, what you do is talk to a nearby village and pay them to start a fire. This will get rid of most of the guards in the prison area.
>>
>>341863169
difficulty percentage?
>>
>>341863202
Guildmaster quests are good if there is nothing going on the map
It's easy xp
>>
File: map1.jpg (310 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
map1.jpg
310 KB, 1920x1080
>>341863103
I can't fit my whole kingdom in one screenshot.
One sec, 3 more incoming
>>
>>341863205
65% Wanted to take it easy since it's my first decent playthrough
>>
>>341856514
I'm going to type some words here that you should be interested in:
anon's modded 1257 AD
>>
>>341863262
No it's not. Tracking down robbers is a pain in the ass. Sometimes you get lucky, others you end up wasting a ton of time for a piddling reward.

Better to just buy goods and sell them elsewhere.
>>
File: map2.jpg (459 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
map2.jpg
459 KB, 1920x1080
>>341863103
>>
>>341863357
That's a bit lame. You can just hide behind a wall of huscarls and win everything. You won't know the true thrill of battle until you're at full damage for everyone and outnumbered.
>>
>>341863430
Robbers aren't the only guildmaster quests
Ideally you take guildmaster quests when you know you need to travel around the map because there is nothing worth doing atm
>>
File: map3.5.jpg (360 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
map3.5.jpg
360 KB, 1920x1080
>>341863103
Fucking fourchannel thinks my replies are dplicate
>>
File: map4.jpg (375 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
map4.jpg
375 KB, 1920x1080
>>341863103
Just about everything not pictured is still under enemy control
>>
File: Untitled1.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled1.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
And here's my army
>>
>>341863350
>>341863440
>>341863805
>>341863870
You should probably stop, you've altered history too much.
>>
File: Untitled4.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled4.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
>>341864112
Never, I've wasted too much of my life on this stupid kingdom and getting matching coat of plates for all my companions
>>
Also guys, is there any way to level up my soldiers other than fighting bandits etc. ?
>>
Not OP but I'm playing the first Mount and Blade for the first time (barring a couple false starts), is the tips listed on the thread the same on both games?

Also, Khergit horse archers: meme troops or actually viable?
>>
File: mb17.jpg (423 KB, 1280x954) Image search: [Google]
mb17.jpg
423 KB, 1280x954
>>341864836
Fighting armies
>>
>>341864836
training skill, if you and your companions have a shitload of it all up you can get mobs of peasants to decent levels without fights fairly quickly. Lezalit is a companion who's great for this.

>>341865087
If you're poor just pirate warband. It's easy and infinitely better.
>>
File: Untitled6.jpg (653 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled6.jpg
653 KB, 1920x1080
Deus vult?
>>
>>341865102
I'm a Nord vassal mate. I would start a war
>>
>>341865227
Run anon
>>
>>341865087
Khergit are mostly shit in an unmodded game, their behavior is that of other cavalry instead of mounted archers. I think anything that uses Diplomacy or Floris as a base corrects this behavior, then they're viable for field battles shit for sieges.
>>
File: Untitled7.jpg (332 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled7.jpg
332 KB, 1920x1080
>>341865363
Never
>>
File: difficulty2.png (2 MB, 1746x569) Image search: [Google]
difficulty2.png
2 MB, 1746x569
>>341856514
Don't forget to turn the difficulty up in the options menu, by default it's baby tier.

Also Floris is a meme mod
>>
>>341865679
>Also Floris is a meme mod
I'm glad I'm not the only one who could get into it. Last I played I really enjoyed Silverstag despite some bugs and shit.
>>
>>341865192
I'm poor but I am also too invested on my current dude to stop rn.
>>341865492
There are other horse archers in the game? I'd like a vanilla game first time around though.
>>
What are some mods you think Warband SHOULD have, but doesn't?

How is there no King Arthur mod?
>>
File: mb12.jpg (346 KB, 1280x954) Image search: [Google]
mb12.jpg
346 KB, 1280x954
>>341865305
Nords are typically at war with Sawadia or Vaegirs, other than fighting bandits having a high Training skill or companions with it.

Speaking of companions, how do you make custom companions?
>>
>>341865849
Stop anyway. Warband is too much better.
>>
File: 1445710596693.jpg (5 KB, 200x193) Image search: [Google]
1445710596693.jpg
5 KB, 200x193
>>341865857
>tfw remake of 1866 for the original M&B never ever
>>
>>341865857

there's no good LOTR mod

Last Days is overcomplicated bullshit
>>
File: mb18.jpg (519 KB, 1280x954) Image search: [Google]
mb18.jpg
519 KB, 1280x954
>>341865849
In vanilla M&B not Warband? I think Khergits are the only ones

>>341865679
>>341865776
I like Floris though

>>341865907
>>341866048
1866 please
>>
>>341865305

Fight assloads of Sea Raiders up north. They're tough as hell, and may drink from your skull, but they level up troops quick and actually drop decent shit. Once your Nord Infantry is up to about Trained Footmen, you should have absolutely no problems with them.

Also, travel the world and go find either Jeremus or Ymira, and pump up those doctor skills. It's a lifesend. Kill every bandit you find in your journey.
>>
>>341866335
Why kill when you can sell?
>>
>>341866838
Muh boy.
Rocking an army of Manhunters is sweet. By far the easiest way of getting all those denars.
Getting kidnapped girl quests with those is like double Christmas.
>>
>>341863870
>Toledo as the capital
>AlbarracĂ­n and Jaca are important settlements

Tight as fuck accuracy
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.