[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tbh I really want to build a computer but I have no idea what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 317x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 317x320
Tbh I really want to build a computer but I have no idea what goes into it, what I should buy (I have a decent budget ($900), how to do it, or what the fuck I'm doing with my life.
>>
>>341831891
you know what pc games you want to play? if you don't then don't build one.
>>
You should post on /v/ asking to be spoonfed instead of doing research.
>>
http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Start there, figure out what games you want your PC to play and decide which tier is appropriate for you, then watch some youtube videos of how to assemble a PC.
>>
>>341832698
I kind of want it to be versatile, to not have to really worry about a game running. I don't care about games that are a bit too beefy but pretty standard stuff. If that makes any sense
>>
>>341832951
Appreciate it
>>
I really don't know why companies aren't just selling more prebuilt gaming pcs.

There's a huge and growing market....especially with this skorpio/neo bullshit now
>>
look up a tutorial on Youtube. you need a tutorial otherwise you might fuck up some where, unless you know how to put them together somehow.
no one on chan is going to type up a guide for you.
>>
>>341833212
Because anyone who takes the time to actually look into building a PC realises that pre-built systems are a fucking ripoff and not worth it.

It's not hard to build a PC. Do research or stay a console kid.
>>
>>341833212
The people who are serious about it are more likely to build it themselves. Those who are only partially interested will be put off by the enormous price tag that comes at the cost of labor. Your average soccer mom isn't going to pay $2,500+ when they see that $600 Dell "gaming" PC next to it.
>>
>>341831891
look up videos on youtube for guides on putting everything together and installing the operating system and what not. >>341832951 That gives you an idea of how current parts are performing
>>
>>341831891
Logicalincrements.com

Youtube "(your budget) PC build 2016" & "PC building tutorial".

There you go! It's like simplified Legos.

I would get Intel CPU + Nvidia GPU combo.
Pirate W7 Ultimate x64
>>
ATX Mid-tower Case
Motherboard
PSU ~1000w
CPU Intel i5
RAM 4x4GB
GPU Whatever fits your budget
SSD 128GB
HD 2 TB
>>
File: hollaholla.jpg (34 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
hollaholla.jpg
34 KB, 640x427
>build your own computer
>h-haha, lok at all these pennies i'm saving
>spend a couple of days making the shit work and updating
>something goes wrong it's your fucking problem

>buy a prebuild
>IT JUST WORKS
>if something goes wrong somehow
>no worries sir, we'll fix it right away
>>
>>341838521
>PSU ~1000w
400W are enough unless you plan to use a SLI or crossfire setup which you shouldn't because of microstutter.
>>
>>341838680
Having one built FOR you is one thing, its money for time/effort and lots of small places straight up order parts and put it together for you for $. Buying a prebuilt is nigh guaranteeing subpar parts, excessive cost, and tons of bloatware, all for india tier customer support.
>>
File: ainsley pc repair.jpg (122 KB, 666x500) Image search: [Google]
ainsley pc repair.jpg
122 KB, 666x500
>>341831891
Watch some tutorials on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIF43-0mDk4

In terms of what goes inside, buy what you can afford. A good starter budget for a mid-range gaming PC is about $1000, not including the monitor. Try to buy bundled parts that are on sale, because you can save a lot of money that way.
>>
>>341838972
This tbqh family. Buying from builders is generally a much better option than buying from a store. They're usually overpriced and include terrible components. If they include even a mid range video card you will probably have to pay around $1500, because they will mark it up as a "top of the line machine."
>>
Just buy a console fuckwit. Sick of faggots trying to upgrade their lives
>>
>>341831891
Wait for the 480 to buy a GPU.
>>
It depends on how much are you going to further down your upgrade path. Are you going to OC your CPU? are you going to implement SLI or Crossfire in the near future? if not then choose affordable mobo. I know a lot people who gets enthusiast grade mobo but they never even go for a 2 way or 3 way GPU config and only use a ultra safe pre config OC which a waste of good mobo.
>>
>>341838680
It's almost the exact opposite. If you build it yourself, you don't have to worry about the deluge of bloatware and low quality parts that come with prebuilts that often results in slow performance and difficulty getting stuff to work or upgrade. Having bought two prebuilts in my life and built my own PC recently, I'll take building my own anyday. Will never go back to prebuilts; far too overpriced for subpar hardware and a nightmare of upselling and overseas tech support.
>>
>>341839778
I bet you think the ps4 neo will actually play games at 4k
>>
Buy all razer gear when possible
Remember to install as many LED as possible as they significantly increase performance
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-18-02-51-37.png (292 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-18-02-51-37.png
292 KB, 1080x1920
My best friend helped me build mine. Just research and try to catch things on sale from newegg (Craigslist if you're brave). It's not hard at all, you'll probably spend more time thinking about how it looks. Things to think about:
Processor needs
GPU needs
Mobo connections and flexibility
When you have these set it gets easy. Everything else seems based around these core elements.
I spent 5 days straight on thinking about a case due to cooling>visuals
>>
>>341842904
Why a locked cpu with a Z170 motherboard. No ssd?
>>
>>341834232
>>341834432
This. Pre-builts usually cost more and have shitty outdated hardware, when for the same price you could build your own with way better parts. Probably even cheaper.
>>
>>341831891
Go to microcenter if you have one near by tp buy your cpu + mobo its a good way to save 40-50 dollars
>>
File: 20160613_221944.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160613_221944.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
>>341843678
I don't plan to play games or media in 4k any time soon, my monitors are an old 17" Dell and a 42" 3D TV. I was gonna get the 6500k but I don't know shut about overclocking and I doubt, with how I use my pc, I would have use for it. As for sdd, I've been using the momentous xt hybrid from my laptop and I've been fine with it. It boots in about 20 or so seconds. I don't care about speed much since I've been on consoles up until 2013.
>>
File: building.jpg (417 KB, 1024x513) Image search: [Google]
building.jpg
417 KB, 1024x513
>>341843678
The CPU was on ebay for a great price with everything. My GPU came from Craigslist for $197 though I may sell it and get the 480 once there's an tri fan version or a cute colour like the sapphire. I almost got a 970 but I was quickly convinced out of it.
>>
>>341831891
>build pc
>realise gaming is fucking terrible now and I've just thrown $800 away
>>
>>341844192
At least get a monitor with full HD around 21" or even 23". No point in getting a new PC and using a fucking 2004 17" monitor.
>>
>>341845064
I only use it to hold my Skype and steam chats along other miscellaneous things which is great since I only paid $8. What monitor would you recommend to replace it with for under $100?
>>
>>341838521
>4x4 gig ram

I don't mean to nitpick but isn't that a bit excessive? I've got 2x4 gigs and found it to be more than adequate.

>>341838680
I won't make an argument around saving pennies by making your own computer over buying a premade one - what I will say is I've found (generally) you can get better parts by buying it yourself, as you're not spending $$$ on getting someone to make it.

If I've got $2 grand to spend on a computer, I'd rather spend that whole two grand on the best parts I can, and not spend anything on manual labour for setting it up.
>>
The parts you need are:

A processor (aka CPU)
A compatible motherboard to plug everything into
A graphics card
RAM
A hard-drive
A PSU to power it all
A case for it to all go inside

This guide can help you decide what tier pc you want, how much it'll cost and what specific parts to go for:
http://www.logicalincrements.com/
Holy shit have they absolutely fucked with the logical increments guide since I last used it. Still usable but the site navigation is fucked and the padded out content is laughable.

You'll need a cable each to plug in your hard-drives and disc drive (if you want one). Probably SATA 6gb/s cables these days but the components will say what they need. You'll also need some thermal paste for the processor but you should get some in the box when you buy one new. You'll also want a CPU fan if your processor doesn't come with one or you want to overclock. Getting a small SSD for your operating system will make boot times super nice.

Regarding using your budget, probably the most important initial decision will be what monitor you intend you use. If you're going for 1080p60fps then a gtx 970 as a gfx card will run nearly everything fine.

For putting it all together, Linus Tech Tips is a good YouTube channel. He probably has some tutorial videos on that sort of thing.
>>
>>341847520
>Linus Tech
I always giggle at their vids
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.