[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What rpg has the best magic system?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 600x476) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 600x476
What rpg has the best magic system?
>>
not Oblivion
>>
Oblivion
>>
>>341821586
One of my favorite magic systems is in Vagrant Story but it's probably far from the best. Learning different spells from tomes is cool and the different tiers and targeting on some elemental spells is neat. Too bad its pretty much impossible to play as a mage until your second or third playthrough.
>>
>>341821586
Ultima Underworld's runewords were great.
>>
Skyrim
>>
deus ex
>>
File: Merlin.jpg (75 KB, 564x792) Image search: [Google]
Merlin.jpg
75 KB, 564x792
Arx Fatalis was interesting
Dragon's Dogma made you feel pretty powerful
BG2 was pure overpowered lunacy
>>
D&D3.5 because you have all the different magic systems. Some classes use prepared spell slots, some cast spontaneously from spell slots, some use a points system, some go at-will, some use cooldowns, some use escalating skillchecks that don't function at all against CR appropriate enemies, etc.

The thing video games most often miss the point of class systems with is variety.
>>
>>341821586
Souls Series. They have the best everything.
>>
>>341821586

Morrowind and Dragon's Dogma.

Special acknowledgement to Ni No Kuni for it's physical magic grimoire.
>>
Morrowind. Custom spells and enchantments lets you literally fly around everywhere slinging nukes at everything.
>>
>>341821586
Treasure of the Rudras
>>
Two Worlds 2
>>
>>341821586
baulders gate 2
>>
>>341821586
Gandalf is not a normal wizard though, he barely casts shit to not fuck up with the mortals.
>>
File: 1461029514155.gif (550 KB, 285x375) Image search: [Google]
1461029514155.gif
550 KB, 285x375
>>341822398
>sluggish
>weak spells
>best spells dot
>casting is purely untheatric
That game has cumbersome everything though. The spells are just unimpressive. Skyrim wasn't that great, but it was miles better.

And I actually like DaS, but that game isn't about being best anything, it's a grueling slough through a very basic game of stats and memorization.

Some of the magics in Dragon Age were nice, especially if combos are triggered. Takes a LOT of micro-managing. Mass Effect has cool biotics, having Liara lift and then I throw just to hurl bodies all over the place never gets old.

Action examples though. I liked the mechanics of Arcanum's magic system, and that game was really robust.
>>
>>341822605
Neat idea, but it's so easy to break the game if you know all the keywords.
>>
>>341823246
That's what makes it great.
And if it had more work put into into it, you would have a real meta of mana conservation even with game breaking spells and see more games like it
;~; I want more in depth magiks without autism
>>
>>341821586
It's doesn't have an interesting or unique magic system at all, but Dragon's Dogma has some of the most satisfying spells.
>>
File: souleater.jpg (5 KB, 166x189) Image search: [Google]
souleater.jpg
5 KB, 166x189
Suikoden
>>
>>341821586
the first magicka was pretty good
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (135 KB, 953x953) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
135 KB, 953x953
>>
>>341821586

Morrowind or Baldur's Gate II
>>
>>341823113

No kidding, plus it's generic shit for the most part.

>fire
>arcane
>lightning/holy
>depending on the game, maybe some "dark" versions of spells

The utility spells are cool, but mostly useless and everything takes forever to cast.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.