[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I finally got around to hacking my 3DS and played this for the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 4
File: 4L_tRmeILQp.png (316 KB, 456x409) Image search: [Google]
4L_tRmeILQp.png
316 KB, 456x409
I finally got around to hacking my 3DS and played this for the first time.

Why does every top ten list consider it a masterpiece? I'm about halfway through and this game is boring as fuck.

Just about all 3D Zeldas are boring as fuck while all 2D ones have been great. What the fuck is so fascinating about roaming an empty field doing fetch quests back and forth? I mean I'm not saying they're terrible, I just don't understand the critical acclaim they've come to receive.

For the record I'm 25, just grew up with ps1.
>>
>>341802496
yeah zelda games are fucking garbage
>>
>>341802496
I rented it from Family Video when it was new and found it boring.

Not bad, just didn't interest me.

But then I had never been much of a Zelda fan. I had the first two NES games and didn't care much for them either.

I dunno if maybe you needed to be an ALTTP fanboy first to get into OoT, I didn't play ALTTP back when it was new.
>>
>>341802496
If you played it on release, it would have blown your 8-year-old mind.

There's zero reason for an adult in 2016 to revisit this game.
>>
>>341802496
What fetch quests? Theres only like one fetch quest in zelda and thats just ot get an OP sword.
>>
>>341802496
well you see, for awhile videogames were actually just 2d. oot being a 3d lttp was amazing.

oot is still good today but hyrule field is lacking. the lighting on 3ds is messed up though and you're missing out on some of the atmosphere. it being portable doesn't help either.
>>
>>341802496
Game was fantastic for its time, but hasn't aged well.

Biggest reason to revisit is for the nostalgia.
>>
What's the most up to date recommendation image for the 3ds?
>>
>>341802496
B0MQSQS13N3P6QPD
>>
>>341803204
I think he means getting all the stones and medallions
>>
>>341802496
What's a good homebrew firmware for an orginal ds?
I got my 3ds to where I can presumably launch the thing (via browserhack, zeldahack, or holding a few buttons on startup because I like backup options) but I got distracted by other things before I got to deciding on a firmware
>>
>>341804124
>Story progression are fetch quests

OoT isn't all that great, Majora's mask is better, and Twilight Princess is a better OoT other than the horrible beginning
>>
>>341802496
Touché. I never saw any appeal with OoT/Majora's Mask, GB and GBC games will always be the superior Zelda games.
>>
>>341804124
Did the medallions matter?
I thought they were a side-thing to defeating Ganon's forces
>>
>>341802496
>all 2D ones have been great
looks like someone hasn't played Minish Cap, huh?
>>
>>341803526
So wrong, good games stays good unless they were bad to begin with
>>
>>341804429
Wut. It's the main quest
>>
>>341804834
It's also not fetch.
>>
>>341804319
If a fetch quest is required to progress the story, then yes. What makes you believe that "toddle off and get this dumbass item so something good can happen" is only a fetch quest if it's a side quest?
>>
>>341805134
What dumbass items?

Fetch quests are also defined as being simply 'go here and get this item/s', not going through an elaborate dungeon to find said item.
>>
>>341805134
Fetch quests are strictly quests that have the player move from quest giver (A) to item of importance (B), then back to (A). The moment a quest has you do any more than that it is no longer a fetch quest. Fetching medallions in Zelda stops being a fetch quest the moment the """""quest""""" involves solving an entire fucking puzzle dungeon to get the item.
>>
>>341802496
You made the mistake of playing the 3DS remaster rather than the original
>>
>>341802637
Kys hipster
>>
>>341805754
>>341805630
So basically underageb&s have redefined FedEx to better suit their narrow modern view of the trope. Ok.

In reality, fetch quests can be main or side quests.

They can involve simply obtaining (and possibly also delivering) an item from point A to B (and then maybe to C, or back to A), or they can involve, say, going through a dungeon, fighting enemies, or any other sort of broken bridge nonsense.

They also don't need to require obtaining items. Fetch quests can be saving someone, activating seals, or any other sort of gopher activity that temporarily sets you off the main quest.
>>
>>341807136
>claims others are redefining the meaning of fetch quests
>proceed to redefine fetch quests to mean anything where you go somewhere and do a thing
By that logic absolutely every quest in every game is a fetch.
>>
>>341807136
>In reality, fetch quests can be main or side quests.
No fucking shit. Nobody is arguing this.
>>341807136
>They can involve simply obtaining (and possibly also delivering) an item from point A to B (and then maybe to C, or back to A), or they can involve, say, going through a dungeon, fighting enemies, or any other sort of broken bridge nonsense.
No. Fetching is literally just fetching. Going into a dungeon and doing things for the item is a dungeon dive. Not a fetch. You are retarded. It is not a gopher quest if you do more than GO FOR it.
>>
here's the truth, kid: 3D zelda is overrated shit for normalfags.
>>
>>341807670
>>341807552
Like I said, narrow modern view of the trope.

If you think I'm the one redefining an over 3 decades old CRPG cliche, think again.
>>
>>341807975
Except you just did
I don't create a mini obstacle course and tell my dog to fetch
>>
>>341807975
Aint falling for this shitty bait anymore. You take care buddy.
>>
>>341802496
>All 3D Zeldas are boring
Wow, its almost as if you don't like 3D Zeldas thus they aren't for you.

Brb, I'm going to make an SMT thread saying that Nocturne is shit and I don't even like JRPGs
>>
File: 1464578247576.jpg (164 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1464578247576.jpg
164 KB, 960x960
>>341802496
because the videogame industry standards are the lowest of any en retainment medium so far all the masterpieces i have played ranged from mediocre to decent. thats it. i have yet to been blown away by a single videogame in my life.
>>
>>341802496
You need to understand that Nintendo fans live in their own stockholm syndrome bubble where only Nintendo games exist, and they only buy first parties specifically.

In their perspective, Zelda is the only action RPG game that has ever existed. It's the first and only sort-of-classic fantasy adventure game.

It blew them away. It defined videogames for them, despite being absolutely barebones in just about everything. They use Zelda as a starting point to judge every other game, this means that Zelda is a sacred 10/10 no matter what. A game is simpler than it? Casual shit. A game is more complex than it? It's too complex for what a videogame should be.

Apply this to every game mechanic or design choice.
>>
>>341809878
Must suck having grown up with the 7th gen, I'd be extremely cynical about them too.
>>
>>341806356
but zelda is THE hipster game, hipster love oot
>>
>>341804464
Minish Cap is what kept me from being bored out of my mind on a shitty family vacation years ago. I love that game.

The only 2D Zelda I didn't play was the train ones.
>>
>>341804319
Majora's Mask has way worse pacing and a lot of tedious sections upon replay. I mean that game literally does have fetch quests. The Well and Zora Eggs being the best examples of "you can't do this in one trip, so keep going back and forth."

And TP is also terribly paced. OoT isn't even my favorite Zelda or anything, but I don't get how people can overlook the massive flaws in games like WW and TP while being adamant that they are straight upgrades.
>>
>>341810721
Minish Cap isn't bad, but it's slow and easy. The Oracle games/Awakening totally blow it away.
>>
>>341808523
I literally am asking the appeal. I never called them shit. I just don't understand what's so fun about them.
>>
The same reason why Mario 64 is always on top of best games lists. It isn't really a good game by today's standards, or even SNES era standards, but it came out in that era when games were moving from 2D to 3D and sort of pushed the genre forward, but games have come out since then that built on what those earlier 3D game did and do them much, much better now.
>>
>>341811187
Let me guess, you really like Darksiders.

Very few games have even attempted to take the Zelda formula, and the only game I can even think of in the 3D realm of notable quality is Okami, but that was very different and really didn't handle dungeons the same.
>>
>>341810318
If they are really hipsters and not just mainstream hipsters their favorite Zelda game would be Zelda 2
>>
>>341802496
>all [...] Zeldas are boring as fuck

I couldn't agree more. Zelda is literally babby's first adventure game. It's like thinking Pokemon is an in depth jrpg.
>>
>>341810936

The appeal, for me at least, is immersing myself in this fantasy land and going on an adventure, exploring dungeons, meeting fun NPCs and defeating monsters while getting stronger.

The levels are cleverly designed, the OST is superb and the gameplay is solid.

This isn't an RPG, it's an action-adventure game.

If a game is too deep, I'll get too worried about the meta part of the game that I'll be taken out of the experience, and if the game is too shallow, I won't be immersed at all. I like the balance the LoZ games offer.

It helps that I enjoy the aesthetics of old 3D games, too.
>>
>>341802496
How the flying fuck did you hack your 3DS?
>>
>>341811782
Have you been living under a rock familia?

Google "plailect" and click the first link.
>>
>>341802496
The game came out in 1998. It was good at the time.
>>
>>341811782
Welcome to 2012.
>>
>>341807975
Give me an example of something that is NOT a fetch quest.
>>
>>341811693
>the non-existant difficulty is a feature!
No, it's just a game designed for 5 year olds and doesn't even offer a difficulty OPTION.
>>
>>341812552
Not that anon, but by his definitions, if you had a very linear game where you just went forward and fought shit to proceed, that would lack fetch quests. So had the game railroaded you from dungeon to dungeon with no traveling back to locations to open up new ones, there would be no fetch quests.

It's a pretty petty complaint when dungeons in this case can be seen as the levels of the game more than anything else and the filler of OoT is the overworld shit like delivering the letter to get into death mountain.
>>
>>341809940
>It's the first and only sort-of-classic fantasy adventure game.
>It blew them away. It defined videogames for them
>They use Zelda as a starting point to judge every other game, this means that Zelda is a sacred 10/10 no matter what. A game is simpler than it? Casual shit. A game is more complex than it? It's too complex for what a videogame should be.
>Apply this to every game mechanic or design choice.

I unironically agree with this. Zelda is generally exactly as complex as it need to be in any given aspect, this is part of what makes it so great. It doesn't add a billion RPG stats where they would add no depth, but it doesn't slack on making its world extremely interactive at all, and makes sure that everything is worth exploring as much as possible. No other game has hit this balance of design to the same extent.
>>
>>341813073

ok
>>
File: girls-getty_1376498i.jpg (44 KB, 446x400) Image search: [Google]
girls-getty_1376498i.jpg
44 KB, 446x400
>>341811678
>thinking Pokemon isn't an in depth jrpg

Please, name all these super deep RPGs with amazing mechanics for me. Hell, for that matter, give me it all. I want the platformers better than Mario and DK, the fighting games more challenging than Smash Bros, the racing games better than F-Zero, the lot.
>>
>>341802496
If in the course of playing older games you ever have to ask yourself
>"Why the hell is this game considered a masterpiece?"
the answer is always nostalgia.
>>
>>341813529

Yeah, all the great noir films from the 40s and 50s, clearly highly regarded purely out of nostalgia.

The great classics of literature from the past century, obviously only held in high regard out of pure nostalgia from people born in the 19th century.

It's not like art is subjective and one should consider the context in which a work was created.
>>
File: 4L_OU1F4MoA.jpg (315 KB, 1159x1698) Image search: [Google]
4L_OU1F4MoA.jpg
315 KB, 1159x1698
>>341813470
>fighting games more challenging than smash
>>
>>341813529
Not really. As times change, games that once were revolutionary can be done to death today.

You cannot retroactively disregard things for nostalgia, unless you are capable of time traveling.

I assure you that any single game that you liked or found innovative this gen will be considered trite overdone shit in 20 years. Are you feeling nostalgia yet?
>>
>>341814049
There are certainly games from every era that remain excellent when pitted with today's "standards." It isn't that they can't be done better-- it's that they are still excellent.

Let's stay on topic for this one. Where are all of the games that do everything LTTP does, just better? You have three games in the same series that reach parity at best. Where are all the others?
>>
>>341802637
>>341802496
Because, OP. You didn't play it when it came out. Just like if you played FF7 now for the first time you would say it was shit. Or any game that came out before 2000. Fuck. At least you played it, I'll give you credit for that.
>>
>>341814435
>Just like if you played FF7 now for the first time you would say it was shit
I played it when it came out on PSN a few years back and had as much fun with it as any other high quality JRPG preceding or coming after it.
>>
>>341802496
Holy shit OP are you me? I haven't played it since reaching Kakariko village or whatever and have no desire to return to it.

And I'm also 25
>>
ALRIGHT BOYS, I WENT AND BOUGHT A 50 GIG SD CARD.

HOW DO I HACK THIS MOTHER FUCKER.
>>
>>341804319
>Majora's mask is better,
This nigga has it. Ocarina was my jam (third Zelda game growing up), and blew me away... after I got settled into it. Dat intro stage, man.

Playing the 3DS version, I'm kind of bored as well. But with MM3D I feel every ounce of magic from childhood. Why's that? 'cause it's a better game
>>
>>341806348
It's literally identical in gameplay though.
>>
>>341814305
>Where are all of the games that do everything LTTP does, just better?
Today's LTTP would be Demon Souls. It has less super obscure secrets, but everything else is absolutely superior comparatively, from the setting to the gameplay to the atmosphere to the pacing to the level design to the encounter design; to the technical aspects which is naturally going to happen.

For obscure secrets and adventure feeling things, La Mulana destroys any Zelda that has ever come out, combined. And it's not even "modern".

For top down hack and slash combat pretty much every game because ALLTP combat wasn't remarkable even back then. OoT invented Z-targeting, that was the one influential thing. I'd say designing a game around not needing a shitty limiting feature, like Monster Hunter does, is the next logical step, with encounters with plenty of individual hitboxes that are hit depending on where your blade touches, and a more engaging requirement in aiming and timing, as opposed to spamming.

If you're gonna complain that there isn't a perfect 1:1 ALTTP clone that does every single thing a specific other game does, welcome to the real world. There are no exact clones of anything. There will always be different goals and focus if you look closely enough.

If you're complaining that a game NEEDS to be exactly like Zelda to be as impactful or as good, when Zelda already exists, you are just a fanboy and your judgement will never have an ounce of objectivity to it, so don't bother discussing this and go post a circlejerk to the zelda gamefaqs instead.
>>
>>341816840
Not arguing because I actually like the remake just fine but there was a "difference" that always bugged me. The layout of the ocarina buttons in the staff doesn't line up with their layout on the face of the handheld like they did in the original. It's rotated and it annoys the shit out of me.
>>
>>341813092
Same. I ask for other similar exploration based games, but none quite strike this balance that Zelda does. It comes down to personal opinion how many RPG elements and story driven quests you want, but I like the minimal approach as they don't detract from the actual exploring that way.
>>
>>341817162
Yeah, I don't know, something feels off to me, and I think partof it has to do with being on a small screen and with a polished coat of paint. Yet that doesn't bother me at all with Majora's Mask. Strange...
>>
>>341816756
To me it's the mood and atmosphere that they packed into a child game. It's extremely dark without being edgy in the slightest. It's subtle yet effective.

The happy mask salesman impressed me quite a bit. The camera angles frantically changing, his poses apparently changing instantly, the whole thing is directed in such a bizarre and unsettling way.

MM has such an amazing atmosphere and setting to it that, to me, it trumps anything good any other Zelda has. It is literally unique in the industry, unlike every other thing about all the zelda games that became overdone or already was.

I also played MM for the first time around 2011, it's not nostalgia.
>>
>>341815182

And you didn't play it during the PS1 days? Why?
>>
>>341817565
>I also played MM for the first time around 2011, it's not nostalgia.

Yeah, I only played up to the end of the first temple when it originally came out, but never beat that boss or anything past it. So at first when I played the remake, it was nostalgia. But quickly after it was a brand new appreciation for how atmpspheric and engrossing it is.
>>
>>341817729
I was a babby for the PS1 days, anon. You're old :^]
>>
>>341816910
Demon's Souls and Zelda are barely comparable. La-Mulana and Zelda II are comparable, but that's it. There are plenty of other games that have other games you can directly compare without resorting to bringing up fucking Dark Souls when talking about LTTP. For example, System Shock 2 and Deus Ex are often brought up together. Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Disgaea. Eye of the Beholder and Etrian Odyssey. Do the same for Zelda and you'll come up with shit like LTTP and Gunman's Proof/Beyond Oasis or the more modern games and Okami/Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon.

You're responding to a post that was responding to
>I assure you that any single game that you liked or found innovative this gen will be considered trite overdone shit in 20 years

Your rebuttal is shit because the series remains largely unique in it's overall composition.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.