[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happened to the arcade racer, /v/? I'm honestly tired
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 671346758.jpg (116 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
671346758.jpg
116 KB, 500x350
What happened to the arcade racer, /v/? I'm honestly tired of all racing games being racing sims. It seems that none of them try to go for that older style of racing games. There has to be some games out there that are still like that.
>>
File: slipstream 3.png (199 KB, 1438x806) Image search: [Google]
slipstream 3.png
199 KB, 1438x806
>>341785501
it got stomped out by the desire for realism, and the people who made arcade racers either stopped, went out of business, or went realistic because that was always their goal.

But theres been a bit of renewed interest in old fashioned arcade style racers lately.

Horizon Chase, Drift Stage, Slipstream, are a few, (though the latter 2 are still in development)

there WAS the 90's Arcade Racer, but that's an abandoned project.
>>
Trackmania's pretty arcadey, though the only variety in content is the user-created courses.
>>
Id argue that Driveclub is a nice sort of midway between arcadey and sim. it would be great as an oldschool racer if not for the stupid penalty system
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThxfP7eF6Fg
>>
>>341786413
I was actually thinking about that. It looks fun, but is it really worth the money? You get to buy one track or so per game, right? Sounds very expensive for so little content, unless there are plenty of user-made courses.
>>
>>341786638
No idea what it's like, I had only given it a shot at a friend's place. Looks like there's a free version though that has good reviews on steam.
>>
>>341785501

Autists raged that they weren't "Realistic Enough", so now we're stuck with "Sim-Cade" bullshit like PCars, AC, GT6 & Forza 6.

90's Arcade Racer was going to be the dream game I always wanted, but it's a ded project now so...?
>>
>>341787595
it still hurts. It was so perfect. never have I seen something that captured that sort of 90's feel better than that game
>>
>>341787595
When has making games more realistic ever really improve anything. I wish this fad would die.
>>
>>341788367
well theres some people that like realistic racing games.

/o/ for example, because it gives them a "realistic" experience of driving cars.
>>
>>341788367
nigger there is nothing wrong with sims or arcadey games
>>
>>341788367
well

i guess it improved simulation games
>>
>>341789231
to be fair, arcade like or just plain "fun" racing games barely exist anymore like they used to, its mostly simulator realism these days.

i boil it down to racing as a genre being kind of not what it used to popularitywise. The only people who keep buying them are people who buy simulator racers, and so those are the ones that get made
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.