[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck does a company get away with selling out dated hardware
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 1136711.jpg (27 KB, 669x438) Image search: [Google]
1136711.jpg
27 KB, 669x438
How the fuck does a company get away with selling out dated hardware for $300 - $400 and pass it off as new technology?

Nintendo has to be one the world's biggest scam artist of our time
>>
File: kaz-hirai-01-08-16-1.jpg (137 KB, 1364x1180) Image search: [Google]
kaz-hirai-01-08-16-1.jpg
137 KB, 1364x1180
Nintendo a shit
>>
>>341776491
Their first party games are a thing.
>>
>>341776491
Just a reminder that Nintendo has been rehashing the same CPU architecture in their home consoles since Gamecube. Hence why emulation of Wii U is happening fast and Nintendo keeps backwards compatibility with older games.
>>
>>341776870
>Nintendo keeps backwards compatibility with older games.
Best feature. Was bummed my N64 couldnt play snes.
Am bummed my PS4 cant even play PSX.
>>
>>341776491
>Nintendo has to be one the world's biggest scam artist of our time
Making happiness since 1889
>>
>>341776870
I know, isn't it great? I'm a Nintendrone but even I love seeing the crazy shit modders can get up to. There's some really remarkable mods for OoT and MM.

From HD packs: http://www.retrocollect.com/News/brand-new-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-hd-texture-pack-for-nintendo-64-emulators-in-development.html

To overhauls: http://www.moddb.com/mods/project-izou

To meme mods: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbgkPxDHS0M

Shit be crazy.
>>
>>341777250
While backwards compatibility is good, it's really limiting Nintendo. If they want to keep backwards compatibility, they have to keep using the same PowerPC instruction set which means they have to keep using inferior hardware (unless they opt for emulation which will end badly for most games). It also means that PS4/Xbone/PC games are harder to port since they use a x86 instruction set, which means third party developers are less inclined to make games for their console especially when they sell less than the competition and require more effort/money to port.
>>
>>341776491

Same way Sony and MS do it. As well as Apple, Samsung, etc with their shitty phones and pads
>>
>>341776870
I'm a bit surprised they didn't kind of linearly go with PPC. Go from the 7xx they used on Gamecube, to 74xx on Wii, and then something G5-based for Wii U.

Maybe there are some compatibility issues there that don't enable seamless BC. The 750 has done the job I suppose.
>>
File: 1466109974788.jpg (29 KB, 600x548) Image search: [Google]
1466109974788.jpg
29 KB, 600x548
>>341778965
That's not how this.

360 uses PowerPC and xbone uses x86 and xbone can play 360 games.
>>
>>341776870
>Having backwards compatibility is a bad thing
>Being a sony-

You know, I shouldn't even be surprised any more. You fools are more than happy to rebuy 10 year old games, let alone ones that get remastered withing a year.
>>
>>341781387
Xbone uses emulation for 360 games which is fucking terrible. Halo Reach drops to sub 10FPS, Mass Effect has crashing issues, and the list goes on and on.
>>
>>341781991
Most shit works fine, you're nitpicking about bugs that will get patched. Original xbox used used x86 and most games worked played fine on the powerPC 360's emulation fine as well.
>>
>>341782406
Most shit works "fine", but not perfect like it should. You still get random audio issues, crashing, FPS drops, and things that shouldn't happen if you were playing on the original hardware.

Also, Xbox games on 360 had issues too. Conker Live and Reloaded loading screens didn't appear properly, your game just froze until it loaded the next area. Fable also had random audio desync issues.
>>
>>341782678
I can't comment on 360 emulation on xbone, but having played conker live and reloaded and fable 1 on 360 I experienced neither of those issues. The only bad thing I remember with 360's emulation effects was that some fog didn't appear like on backwash.
>>
>>341783646
on halo 2 that is.
>>
>>341782678
its not perfect but its still far better than that streaming rental bullshit sony shat out

the emulation has been getting better, ive never had any real issues with it, its great i can play a bunch of my xbox live arcade games again without any extra costs
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.