[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What game do you think started this push in "cinematic style"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
What game do you think started this push in "cinematic style" games?
The Last of Us?
Uncharted?

Do you like it?
>>
>>341762932
Both those games have more gameplay than one might think.
>>
>>341762932
I'm fine with it.

I thought TLOU was a 8/10. Uncharted series is pretty good on average too.

Honestly, I feel like most of the people bitching about those games haven't actually played them.
>>
>>341762932
I can't deal with this.

I'm tired of games pretending they're not having a cutscene but that characters talking while walking around aimlessly is still gameplay.

And then the gameplay itself is flaccid and the writing is cringeworthy.

I spent the last half a year playing Doom PWADs and dungeon crawlers. I'm tired of games apologizing and being embarrassed about being games.
>>
>>341762932

Metal gear solid 4
>>
>>341762932
>Do you like it?

no.
developers have completely forgotten how to tell stories nowadays. stopping the player dead in his tracks to start cutscene.avi is unimaginative and lazy. there is a clear seperation between gameplay and story telling in most of todays AAA-games, when both should be taking place at the same time.
not even talking about stupid shit like tomb raider 2013, where gameplay lara is a completely different character than cutscene lara.

I want storytelling like we have in halflife2 or dark souls and not cinematic shit made by 'I want to be a real movie director but I've no talent whatsoever therefore I ended up making videogames.'-devs.
>>
Half Life 2.
>>
>>341762932
Games have been trying to be cinematic since the NES days you fucking retard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGyFQ9aRp_U
>>
>>341764235
This. Things like exploring to get lore tidbits in Metroid Prime weren't the most fun, but I still felt like I was adventuring when I stumbled upon some history or scientific findings.
>>
>>341762932
Probably uncharted brought it to popularity.
I don't really like it.
>>
File: scotch2.png (19 KB, 241x230) Image search: [Google]
scotch2.png
19 KB, 241x230
>>341763865
I literally watched Uncharted 4 on youtube and it felt like some Indiana Jones movie

8 hours long indiana jones movie

comfy as fuck
>>
>>341764439
not the same.
>>
>>341764182
>Doom PWADs and dungeon crawlers

Translation
>The terrible games I like are better than the terrible games other people like for arbitrary reasons.
>>
>>341764678
which one?
>>
Bioshock

It proved your gameplay can be trash as long as you have nice characters/settings
>>
>>341765017
>>341765017
The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull
>>
>>341765198
Do you even know what cinematic means?
>>
>>341764439
Half Life was one of the first games where you never lost control of your character and all "cutscenes" were actual gameplay seen from first person like the rest of the game.

For a few years after Half Life and Half Life 2, the rest of the industry tried to do the same, skipping entirely all the cinematic shit and stupid cutscenes.
Later, they forgot.
>>
Started? Probably Dragon's Lair literally, some game in the PS1 era figuratively. Sony's always pushed the cinematic side of things with their consoles - one of the biggest advantages PS1 had over N64 was how well it handled FMVs, and at a time when FMVs were the shit.
>>
>>341764678
Thats why I loved it

Real Indiana Jones game when
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s06jvyJFSZRQ
>>
>>341762932
it's no fun

boring I hatei t

i hate the style bro
>>
>not good enough to be a game
>not good enough to be a movie
every "cinematic game" ever
>>
>>341762932

it;s for fucking lame brains kid
>>
File: Sammy.jpg (122 KB, 1179x1179) Image search: [Google]
Sammy.jpg
122 KB, 1179x1179
Don't like them. Remedy is the only one that pulls them off in my mind, but that's just because of Sam Lakes writing.
>>
>>341766514

That's a pretty good way of putting it. Too many devs trying badly to be Hollywood these days and not even making terribly good games in the process.
>>
>>341762932
I'm not going to say they're bad games. They're good at what they're trying to be. But I don't like games that hold my hand, or fill the screen with directions and information like I just need to sit back and let it play for me. I can't enjoy those games outside of the well done cinematics because it doesn't feel very fun when I'm more aware of how the game has a skill ceiliing as low as the floor, moreso than what I can and need to do.
>>
>>341766689

YUUUGE lame brains
>>
i'm okay with sony having their cinematic franchises but what they're doing with god of war is really irritating. not every fucking sony game has to be a cinematic game. you already have 2 big ones in uncharted and the last of us plus all the other third party shit. making god of war another one just takes away from the variety of the library.
>>
Cinematic games have been around long before those games OP.

You can find a few on PS1, and in sure that on PC it goes back even further, though I can't think of any names. I'm not sure if Myst counts or not since it's a puzzle game and you have to figure shit out for yourself, the game really doesn't hold your hand, but it still made a huge push towards cinematic gaming.
>>
>>341762932
Call of Duty 2
Actually, even Call of Duty United Offensive (the expansion pack for CoD) put extreme emphasis on cinematic moments over gameplay, for the time.
>>
would you consider VN's to be cinematic? I mean there's barely any gameplay, you just go forward and select an option here and there.

3dcg only moved forward by actually adding some combat and traded branching paths for linear gameplay.
>>
File: image_16.jpg (184 KB, 363x500) Image search: [Google]
image_16.jpg
184 KB, 363x500
They have a place in the industry. People who shit on the mere idea of a cinematic game just because they themselves don't like it are completely juvenile.
There's something out there for everyone, and denying people who like cinematic stuff their games is stupid. Play the games you want and let other people play theirs. Fuck dude.

There are multiplayer only games, there are single player only games.
Games focused entirely on intricate systems, games that are cinematic.
AAA and indie games of every genre released on a regular basis.

Something for everyone if you aren't a jaded cynical prick who likes bitching about video games more than they like actually playing them.
Complaining about genres you aren't interested in and clearly aren't the demographic for is mindbogglingly fucking stupid. You insist on doing it however because being a pessimistic hipster makes you feel like a savant with high standards when in fact you have no idea what you're talking about.

Let people play what they want to play you ABSOLUTE cockboy
>>
>>341762932

Metal Gear Solid
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.