[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Final Fantasy VI Advance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: VI Advance.jpg (26 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
VI Advance.jpg
26 KB, 500x313
This game just came in the mail. It will be my first time playing VI. What should I expect/know?
>>
Don't jump until the last second.
>>
>>341753637
Give Sabin magic espers
>>
>VI advance
>came in the mail
you dun goofed

The game's difficulty is completely trivial so just play with who you like. Pretty much everyone is viable in some way.
>>
Is this better than the snes version?
What is the best option?
>>
>>341753849
>>VI advance
>>came in the mail
>you dun goofed
Why?

Also the cart was very dirty. Disgusting. I feel like I should wash my hands every time I touch it.
>>
>>341754183
Advance has more content, but the music is heavily compressed but desu not to the point where you would give a shit unless you're autistic.
>>
>>341753637
>>341754246

Expect a terrible, broken port that completely fails to do the game justice.

Sell it again and play the game on a SNES emulator.
>>
>>341754183

Advance is worse in every way except it has some extra side content.

-Bad translation
-Censorship
-Washed-out colors
-Slowdown
-Lower resolution
-Completely ruined the best soundtrack in gaming

SNES version is the definitive version of the game even after all these years.
>>
>>341754628
I'll put up as much of a defense as I can for FFVI Advance

>-Bad translation
The original translation is dated, the new one is much more accurate. There are translations in the original that get characterizations wrong, you can read about it in an interview with the new translator here http://www.rpgamer.com/features/insidegaming/tslatteryint.html
>-Censorship
covered up 2 monster girl's battle sprites and Celes doesn't get hit in her intro, there's an uncensor patch for these.
>-Washed-out colors
You can patch this.
>-Lower resolution
This is a big hit imo, visuals are just worse no matter how you slice it, in particular the effects in battle. There's no way to fix this.
>-Completely ruined the best soundtrack in gaming
Yep. And although there's a patch for it that people still recommend, the audio emits a low static noise which is horrific if you're trying to play with headphones and isn't worth it imo.

So while I don't agree with the translation thing, you're mostly right and it's probably worth it to just play the SNES version. Shame that I'd definitely prefer everything they did with the PC release (especially the bugfixes and making Cyan worthwhile to use)but the visuals are worse than almost every mistake the GBA version made.
>>
>>341755990
If I can add to this, all these hits the game take are still probably fine if you're playing on an actual GBA. The flaws look much worse blown up with emulation imo. The censoring is not too huge an issue though it does suck... just look up the Celes scene on youtube or something.
>>
>>341754415
>broken port
The game was broken to begin with.
>>
>>341753637
Play it without getting expectations from /v/.
Form your own opinions.

The only thing I will add is fucking this:
>>341753723
DONT JUMP UNTIL THE LAST SECOND
>>
>>341757027
>Play it without getting expectations from /v/.
Form your own opinions.

Yeah I should have considered that in the first place.
>>
File: 1458102338864.jpg (188 KB, 500x502) Image search: [Google]
1458102338864.jpg
188 KB, 500x502
>>341754628
>SNES version is the definitive version
Literally all the issues in the GBA version can be fixed via patches. Kill yourself.
>>
Jump as soon as you can.

Nothing else, just remember that.
>>
>>341758054
You're wrong. See >>341755990
>>
File: 1465193712723.png (444 KB, 540x587) Image search: [Google]
1465193712723.png
444 KB, 540x587
>>341753637
Do not jump until the last second.
You can un-equip Espers by clicking a blank slot
Elemental weapons are king. regularass fire/ice/volt swords can be changed around in combat
You can steal Genji gloves from Dragons on the Floating Island (rare spawn, rare steal)
Celes is OP
Terra is meh until she is high enough level for her Transform to last a fight. Transform + elemental weapon + enemy weak to element = early 9999 damage
Sabin is overrated, also most of hits Blitz's are based on the magic stat, but has elemental claws
Crossbow for life
STEAL STEAL STEAL
Cyan sucks, sorry fanboys but he is only good with offering/genji glove, even a gauntletxhaste shoes
Gau rages sucks, make him into a caster via espers
Relm has the highest magic stat
Strago is meh, but has a high magic stat, get White Wind asap
Gogo and Umaro suck.
Do. Not. Jump. Until. The. Last. Second.
Meanwhile, Shadow is mediocre to good. Throw is great, but pricy, cant use elemental weaponry but can fill the role of the thief with those daggers that Mug after every attack whos name escapes me now
Setzer sucks
Mog is mediocre

But seriously, do not jump until the last second.
>>
>Germans made a translation for BoF2 and improved visuals while they were at it
>It got an English release
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuj_--R5qek

Why doesn't FF get something like that?
>>
>>341754183
GBA version has bad audio and a smaller screen, the font looks weird because of it.

The original SNES version has a bunch of bugs and some sprites were censored by the US Localization, some people also dislike the translation.
Ted Woolsey's romhack however fixes all those issues.

The PS1 version has loading times, but adds additions FMV cutscenes.

The PC/Mobile versions took a huge big steaming dump on the art assets and called it a remake, but then again that's subjective.

>tl;dr If you're going to emulate or have an everdrive I'd say the Ted Woolsey's romhack is the definitive version. Otherwise pick your poison.
>>
>>341758054

t. Musically inept blind person.

Patches don't fix anything.
>>
>>341755990

>The original translation is dated, the new one is much more accurate.

This is a myth. Several characters were more true to their intended Japanese personalities in the original translation. The GBA translation is more word-accurate, but it sacrifices personality in return and as a result is far more dull.
>>
>>341759208
>>341761071
>Muh resolution

Who cares? It looks like shit blown up to 1080p either way. Use CRT-Lottes or something if it bothers you so much.
>>
>>341761071
>Patches don't fix anything.
t. Complete moron
>>
What are you faggots arguing about?
It's a fact that the patched GBA games are the best versions of 4, 5 and 6.
>>
>>341753637
>buying physical GBA games when the market is flooded with fake Chinese bootleg cartridges
Holy shit you fucked up, plus the list of everything else mentioned in this thread.
>>
wonderswan version da best
>>
>>341753637
A good game.
>>
>>341759517
>Gau rages sucks, make him into a caster via espers
Never listen to this man, Gau is massively overpowered at every stage of the game if you aren't a retard. Marshal+Templar+Aspik let him shit on the WoB, Stray Cat+Nightshade let him shit on the WoR and only one of those is somewhat difficult to get.
>>
>>341761971

The resolution isn't what we're talking about idiot.
>>
>>341762119

Nice counterargument. Meanwhile it has already been thoroughly explained why patches objectively don't fix anything except the colour palette.
>>
>>341753637
>Wait
>Wait for Shadow
>Be Patient
>Please
>>
>>341753637
Honestly I would just play the SNES version on emulator. But I'm pretty autistic when it comes to FFVI, it has so many bad ports and versions that I've deified the SNES version. Thank fuck I never lost my childhood copy
>>
>>341759517
Wow I sure do hate having Fire 2, barely-worse-than-Bolt 3 Giga Volt, and the best multitarget magic ability until the fucking WoR before anyone not named Terra or Celes has magic.
>>
baka
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.