[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i want a gaming computer but why is it so goddamn expensive?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: PC.jpg (18 KB, 620x531) Image search: [Google]
PC.jpg
18 KB, 620x531
i want a gaming computer but why is it so goddamn expensive?
>>
dude get a dell
>>
>>341692864
It hopefully won't be too bad with the 470 and 480 coming out.
>>
>>341692864
dont fall for the meme buddy, I did and I regret building it.
>>
>>341693174
Faggot
>>
>>341692864
>why is it so goddamn expensive?

Because only two companies make graphics cards, so there isn't a lot of competition, and the company making the supposedly higher-quality product has strongly anti-consumer business practices like "hey let's deliberately gimp our old cards".
>>
>>341692864
>buying pre-builds
just build your own faggot
>>
Wait for the PS Neo "master-race" killer
>>
Buy an alienware anon, best decision ever.
>>
costs like 600 to 700 dollars and will be a better investment in the long run

not only that but if you have programs like photoshop or video editing software, it helps with that too
>>
File: Bloodborne2.png (2 MB, 1422x800) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne2.png
2 MB, 1422x800
>>341692864
Just wait for a PS4 Neo. Good performance but you actually have videogames to play and it will be like $400.

PC gaming is pretty much a meme. Go look at Steam and see the games that they actually play. Absolutely terrible shit like MOBAs and outdated FPS are king and you need a toaster to play it.

Meanwhile on ps4 you have actual games like Bloodborne and Nier.
>>
>>341692864
Well think of it like this anon

You're probably going to own a computer regardless. Maybe you'll have a home pc you bought for $500 at best buy or whatever that you browse 4chan on and answer emails or whatever the fuck it is you do.

Now take that $400 you were going to spend on a console, and buy a gpu.

Congratulations, you can now run anything you want. Maybe not on max settings, but still better than a console
>>
>>341692864
because good hardware is expensive

it's cheaper in the long run since games cost less and you don't have to pay a subscription to play online
>>
>>341694110
>implying you can walk in to best buy and buy a prebuilt that would allow you to change the GPU for $500

You pretty much need like $1200 to build a good PC.
>>
>>341692864
The fabrication process is imperfect, particularly for processors and they produce a lot of fuck-ups, PC hardware also advances and changes quite rapidly, so limited production runs factor into the cost (and the failure rate) too, when you buy a CPU for example you aren't just paying for the CPU you got, you're also paying a share towards all the failed units from the same batch.

Then you just tack on the cost of shipping all this shit from China.
>>
>>341693929
Literally this.

PCucks, name a few games you play that makes it worth building a gaming PC

Shitty indie games? thats what I thought.
>>
File: Wing Commander III POSTER.jpg (147 KB, 1119x1565) Image search: [Google]
Wing Commander III POSTER.jpg
147 KB, 1119x1565
> he fell for the pc gaming meme
>>
>There are people who don't own both

Boy it's definitely summer again isn't it.
>>
>>341694565
>The fabrication process is imperfect
All manufacturing processes are imperfect, this is why certification and quality control systems exist. Buy from companies that do this reliably, and the rate of early failure or DOAs will be fairly low.

>particularly for processors
Absolutely not. CPUs are manufactured by well established foundries as part of multi-billion dollar contracts (in the case of Intel they own their own and pour billions into R&D, regardless of how pitifully incremental their improvements might be). Silicon is expensive, and CPUs that don't test well are binned, meaning parts of them are turned off until they're perceived as stable. Then they're sold. Same with AMD.

If anything is faulty, it'll be a motherboard.

>PC hardware also advances and changes quite rapidly,
This hasn't been true for the last... 5 or 6 years, probably. I built a top of the line pc at that point, and it's just barely began to have difficulty with certain modern games on maximum settings.

The universe has rules. Potential is finite, and computing can't progress infinitely whether exponential or linear.

>when you buy a CPU for example you aren't just paying for the CPU you got,
The CPU market is effectively a monopoly at this point. You're not meaningfully paying for anything beyond arbitrarily artificially inflated prices. The same goes for anything, corporations test the waters to see what people will tolerate at any given time, then slowly jack up their prices until it's acceptable to pay 200 more for 2(n)gigs more of extra flash storage on your garbage phone of choice.

>Then you just tack on the cost of shipping all this shit from China.
Tariffs and shipping costs are trivial. The real cost are artificial in origin, and only represent maximizing profits. That's what corporations do. Rig markets and fix prices.
>>
Cause you're a jobless NEET underage faggot who doesn't understand the true value of a dollar, which is worth much less than it was. A PC is 20 years ago money equivilent to 100 dollars nowadays to play AAA titles. suicidarte familia.
>>
>>341692864
As expensive as you want to make it
logicalincrements.com
>>
Here's some quick research.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/
>>
>>341692864
Do research, decide on budget, save money and build one.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.