[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alpha Centauri
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: Alpha_Centauri_cover.jpg (25 KB, 256x324) Image search: [Google]
Alpha_Centauri_cover.jpg
25 KB, 256x324
Any old and i mean OLD faggots left on /v/ that can give me advice on this game?

Just finished my 1st attempt and got my ass kicked. All the information is overwhelming for a noob. I only have a vague sense of whats going on. I get the gist of it but jesus

Also this game is redpilled as fuck and i just started
>>
>>341681720
bueller?
>>
>>341681720
Energy is the key. It's your economy and its your research fuel. And research is what makes you more advanced and being more advanced is being more powerful.

I'd recommend rushing the weather paradigm in order to make boreholes early.
>>
>>341685631
>energy
>not food

Food is key in the early game. And early game decides who leads the late game
>>
>>341681720
Quick question: have you played other civ games before, and what were they?
I don't feel like explaining civ basics but if you know them already I can provide SMAC strats.
>>
>>341681720
Fuck ecology adquire resources build tech
Not necessary in that order
>>
File: acheader.jpg (37 KB, 620x300) Image search: [Google]
acheader.jpg
37 KB, 620x300
>>341685954
op here
This is my 1st civ style game
>>
>>341686495
BUILD MORE CITIES
THE HIVES OF YANG MUST EXPAND
>>
>>341685792
Individual city food is unimportant and diminishes greatly with size, compared to the civilization's growth score. Which Planetary Networks, the single most important early tech, provides in the Planned Society model.
>>
>>341686629
how did you know i picked yang?

are you redpilled too?
>>
>>341686667
That's why you keep building colonisers, so you can keep your city size small while still getting maximum growth.
And boreholes are useless till midgame, because you can only harvest 2m2e from them. Forests are far better at their base 1f2m1e, and only improve from there.
>>
>>341686495
Prepare to be assraped for a good, long while then. Here are some basics:
Check your cities page for each city and manually assign workers to work squares. AI will do them for you but sometimes they do a shitty job, and your farm/mine won't be worked by a civilian and thus won't benefit your city.
Your social policies in SMAC are also essential read what they do and choose accordingly.
Anything to do with science, whether it be your science/energy/physch meters (which are also important) or building science related buildings, is never energy spent wasted. Unless you understand the power of the probe, but that is a more advanced technique.

>>341686729
I suggest playing Zakarohov for your very first game, although Yang is a good choice simply because of the fact that you won't have to deal with the AI yang, who is an absolute cunt.
>>341687037
Not even forests or boreholes compare to supply crawler + mine spam. Mine all rocky tiles, forest everything else for added econ boost so worms don't fuck your crawlers every 2 turns. Build secret projects in 2 turns.
>>
>>341687550
Max is 2m for early game from any source.
forests are superior if you have the population.
crawlers are better suited to be on farms.
>>
>>341687550

I built some probes in my first game but didnt know what to do with them. I dud noticed my enemy using them to fuck my bases though

Unrelated: How much can i trust the governor to handle?
>>
>>341687947
none, never use governers
>>
I'm 27. I remember Alpha Centauri quite well. I grew up playing a lot of Civ II.

Am old?
>>
Just in general, change your options to allow guided research. I believe blind research is the default, but believe me you want to choose that shit. Start a new game and research Social Psych and Biogenetics right away, then Secrets of the Human Brain. That will get you a couple of base facilities and a free tech. You also want to grab Centurai Ecology early, that'll open up terraformers so you can start improving the land around your bases.

When you start a new base, I usually build defensive unit, then colony pod, then former. Have the former build a farm + solar in a flat spot and a mine on a rocky spot, then build forests. Once you have a few forests you can go ahead and build more mines on all the other rocky spots. You want those mines because once you unlock supply crawlers build those and park 'em on the mines. Long term you're looking for Tree Farm + Hybrid Forest techs and you'll never have to worry about resources again.
>>
>>341687757
You can rush the tech that abandons the 2m mineral limit pretty quickly though, IIRC.
And crawlers are definitely not better for farms as forests can easily supply the population's food with tree farms and since supply crawlers have no limit in number or range you can have size 4 cities with a empires worth of minerals to rush secret projects, even early game if you are lucky enough that nobody bothers you in the process.
>>341687947
The actual "build/conquer/explore/discover" thing? Absolutely never.
The govener will automatically place new citizens in your cities. You shouldn't have to check every city for every new citizen, but if your city isn't growing well for it's size or is slow producing units or buildings it's time to check up on it.
>>
>>341687757
Who cares if the resource limit is under 2? Supply crawlers are there to cherrypick the squares with deposits that have no limits.
>>
File: svensgaard.jpg (8 KB, 149x178) Image search: [Google]
svensgaard.jpg
8 KB, 149x178
>>341681720
Play one of the ayylmao factions and use your battle ogre to wipe the primitives from your planet.
Alternatively, play this sexy motherfucker and be a filthy pirate.
>>
>>341688836
>Oh hey look at all these Unity Pods, I can't believe no one's come by to claim them.
>It'd be a reeeeal shame if I became the dominant scientist on this planet.
>>
>>341688642
Base forests give 1f2m1e, that isn't even enough food to cover the hunger of the citizen working it.

>>341688793
You don't get more than 2 of any resource, from ANY source, including from crawlers, until you research Gene Splicing, Ecological Engineering or Environmental Economics for food, minerals and energy respectively. These are mid-game techs, and if you are playing anyone competent, the game will be more or less decided by the time you get environmental economics.

It is strictly better to crawl a farm square than a mineral square, and strictly better to crawl an accessible farm over an accessible forest.
>>
>>341689264
m8 that's what tree farms and hybrid forests are for.
>>
>>341688313
No.
>>
>>341681720
Such a good game. Sorry, anon, but I sucked so bad at it.
Loved every minute of my defeat.

Wasn't there a thing where being Morgan is statistically the worst choice you could be? Something about his civ perks mean nothing in longrun? Swear I read that once.
>>
File: mindwormsintensify.gif (438 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
mindwormsintensify.gif
438 KB, 500x281
>>341681720
>alpha centauri is now old
FUCK ME
>>
Rush synthethic forest.
Gaians is an op faction for beginners
>>
>>341688313
Nah, I'm 32.
>>
>>341689434
again, mid to late game techs. The game is decided by then
>>
File: 655.png.jpg (44 KB, 499x496) Image search: [Google]
655.png.jpg
44 KB, 499x496
>>341681720
Op here

Any general tips on diplomacy?

In my first and only game i was kind of a dick to the gaians but she seemed to get off on it and was friendly in response
>>
>>341690483
His bonus to economics is very useful but his population limit early-game greatly outweights it. If you can get into mid-game on top then be prepared for easy money and probe team shenagians with your vast amounts of wealth, if not so long sucker Yang already has conventional missiles and is knocking on the front door.
>>341690880
If you have to choose between siding with yang, and siding with any other faction that isn't yang, always choose yang.
>>
File: 257381-yangr.jpg (6 KB, 149x178) Image search: [Google]
257381-yangr.jpg
6 KB, 149x178
>>341688836
>Sven
I know you love oceans so much.
THAT'S WHY I SAVED ALL MY PLANETBUSTERS
JUST
FOR
YOU
>>341690483
With the right build Morgan can completely dominate the economic game, but he's slower to get to where he needs to be than other factions like Gaians.
>>341690880
If you're winning, the bots hate you, no ifs ands or buts.
The only diplomacy worth doing is being bigger than anyone else.
>>
>>341690703
planetary economics is like tier 4 which is just barely, barely mid game
regular tree farms come even earlier than that
>>
>>341689264
>You don't get more than 2 of any resource, from ANY source, including from crawlers, until you research Gene Splicing, Ecological Engineering or Environmental Economics for food, minerals and energy respectively.
No that is wrong.

In every difficulty setting; a square with Mineral, Nutrient, and Energy deposit will from planetfall always provide their full amount of resources before the uncapping.

This is why resource tiles matter, instead of... not mattering until 2250.
>>
https://storagebin.wikispaces.com/file/view/Gurps_-_Alpha_Centauri.pdf
>>
>>341681720
When suddenly VEL'S GUIDE

http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/showthread.php?48-Vel-s-SMAX-Guide
>>
Can we all agree that Santiago is the worst and should've been shot before ever making planetfall.
>>
>>341681720

3 words: Blink Singularity Deathsphere
>>
>>341693538
Well she was head of security so that probably wasn't going to happen.
>>
>>341693538
Ha ha, faggot
>>
>>341693538

The UN peacekeeper guy has the most punchable face, he was first to die in my game and ive never even played before tonight
>>
>>341693805
>Well she was head of security
Nope, Yang was head of security on board the Unity, Santiago was just part of the detachment. From the very start she was a part of the 'Spartan Federation' and purposefully placed other members onboard the Unity.
>>
>>341694314
Shit, my bad.
I dunno if Yang would've let Santiago get shot, though.
Garland, maybe.
>>
>>341681720

Supply Crawlers are OP AS FUCK.

Build the most expensive crawlers you can make, and then the *instant* you unlock a secret project make it, and then use your crawlers to instantly gain progress.

They are actually broken, to the point where this tactic is commonly banned in actual multiplayer.
>>
>>341681720

Forests are amazing, particularly on Resource nodes.

Late Game Ocean cities give a shit ton of Food and Energy, and are just overall *better* than land-based cities.

You should just periodically talk to random civ's to see if they are interested in trading research.

You should do a small bit of research beforehand, and see what social paradimes your civilization wants and focus on them first. (hint: going straight for Democratic and Green/Planned is usually your best bet)

Early on Human Genome Project and Weather Paradigm are really quite strong. The former is more important on higher difficulties.
>>
>>341690880

For Diplomacy you should just constantly trade technologies with people. Check everyone every 5-10 years or so.

Being the first to make contact with a civilization is a *huge* boon, because there are a lot of technologies you can likely share with each other.
>>
File: Lal.png (25 KB, 204x182) Image search: [Google]
Lal.png
25 KB, 204x182
>>341694094
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.