[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a game with a nearly perfect progression system?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: ProgressionSystem.jpg (136 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ProgressionSystem.jpg
136 KB, 1280x720
Is there a game with a nearly perfect progression system?
>>
>>341665642
What would be "perfect" for you, OP?
>>
PoxNora https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL3mDQeRN40
>>
>>341665779
Progression has always been more of a feeling to me than a particular mechanic in a game. Whether it be starting out in an RPG with crappy gear and no skills and ending up with horrendously powerful equipment and earth shatteringly powerful skills or perhaps something more economically focused like starting out poor and getting filthy rich as you play. It can take many forms but it's that feeling of accomplishing and making gains that is so satisfying. I was just wondering what games people have gotten that feeling from.
>>
A game where the game always feels one step ahead of you in difficulty and forces you to learn new mechanics as you get gradually stronger, but isn't broken by one piece of endgame gear.
>>
>>341667127
Uhm I wouldn't reccomend the game itself because the devs abandoned it but Banished on hard difficulty. You start with a handful of people in the wilderness and as time goes by you can build a sprawling network of townage. Acres of orchards, farmland and whatnot.
TUG, if you can still play it now adays.
Trials of Ascension is an indie project that is pretty ambitious in that department.
Give me a moment to think on it.
>>
Wizardry 8 is pretty damn good

It's a shame that the gameplay is shit though
>>
I think a smooth increase is best, where you never feel like loot you get is game-breaking or totally invalidates any other abilities you get. Ideally new tools/abilities should augment what you already have

I also think that loot-focused over level grinding progression is best
>>
>>341667127
Disgaea endgames?
>>
Morrowind had the most satisfying progression to me. You can start out as a weakling with a stick that can't even kill rats to a powerful wizard flying around who can kill the entire game's population in just a few blasts.
>>
Des Sex's is pretty fucking good
Thief technically doesn't have one but the desing is made so you get better at it with each level so it's actually great
System Shock's confusing but when it works it 'just works'
Dark Souls, specially 1 has a great progression system

Fallout
>>
>>341667719
Progression should be like steps instead of a slope. That way you have multiple walls to challenge you
>>
>>341668112
You would say one of the most reviled examples of terrible leveling systems is satisfying?
>>
>>341665642
Ultima Online.

You get what you put into it.
>>
>>341668112
Morrowind/Oblivion is like the textbook example of how to not design a system if you don't want to simply encourage degenerate gameplay
>>
I really enjoyed Stick of Truth. very cohesive and fun
>>
>>341665642
Gothic 1
> Start of super weak, have to avoid enemies or dodge the shit out of them
> By about level 8 you get enough abilities/armor/weaponry/magic to take on more powerful enemies without worrying youll get murdered in two hits
> Past chapter 4 you become either some unkillable tank/Dex fag or just fuck up everything in a 15metre radius with magic.
>>
File: 1449515312188.png (4 KB, 314x305) Image search: [Google]
1449515312188.png
4 KB, 314x305
>>341665642
Yes.

It's called "not making skinner boxes" and "having stages" and sometimes "giving the character more abilities" if you want to go that route.

Also I lost all respect for EC when they said that LoL has a good progression system. Top fucking kek.
>>
Final Fantasy I

>start out weak, manage your resources so trash mobs don't kill you
>steady, gradual increase in power until you reach the area boss
>by this point, regular enemies are easy but the boss is hard
>killing the boss opens up a new town where you can immediately buy powerful equipment, giving you a big boost
>next area's enemies are fairly weak, so your new gear feels more powerful
>go into dungeon
>manage your resources so trash mobs don't kill you
>repeat
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.