[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will we ever see a PC exclusive again with cutting edge tech
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 4714759823_a1fe274e5b_b.jpg (379 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
4714759823_a1fe274e5b_b.jpg
379 KB, 1024x640
Will we ever see a PC exclusive again with cutting edge tech that can blow people away?

PC gaming is nothing but esports in 2016, everything else is console oriented.

There haven't been a PC game in a long time that would make me want to play it only and nothing else, everything is so common and unimpressive now.
>>
>>341652967
Star Citizen has a lot of impressive shit going on all memeing aside. It's just a question of it actually releasing
>>
>he fell for the nu-PC meme
>>
Tfw when no triple a game will push to the limits for expensive pcs
>>
>Will we ever see a PC exclusive again with cutting edge tech that can blow people away?

No because that shit's prohibitively expensive and anyone making that sort of investment wants to maximize sales so they port it to every platform imaginable.
>>
>>341652967
>PC gaming is nothing but esports in 2016, everything else is console oriented.
Tell me about it. It's fucking depressing.
Esports, MMOs and indies. I fucking hate them with a passion.
>>
>>341653221
So a whopping 1000 people can experience it? lol
>>
File: miku.png (1 MB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
miku.png
1 MB, 1080x1080
>>341652967
People are going to say shit like "crysis 3 / star citizen"

People don't understand what Crysis was anymore. It was a game that
>Genuinely pushed graphics hardware past the limits of existing consumer video cards
>Included advancements in DirectX technology
>Was actually REALLY good in terms of gameplay
>Innovated in a genre full of games that were mostly copies of one another
>Had really good and clever scaling of difficulty settings
>Was made 100% without consoles in mind
>Was made with quality in mind to break out as a studio rather than to sell 2 million copies and make the shareholders happy
>Gave players levels of freedom not seen in most games at the time, to approach situations differently in an FPS
>Pushes hardware past its limits NOT BECAUSE it used some sort of inefficient lighting shaders, huge 8k textures, or any bullshit like that (like games do now), but rather because it GENUINELY LOOKED REALLY GOOD and not just in cherry picked scenes
>It also ran well on cheaper hardware on lower settings to make it accessible

Who knows when a game like this will be made again. Maybe not for decades.
>>
>>341653519
Or millions of people in the future, like Crysis. Games used to be less short lived.
>>
>>341653519
So 2 million people can experience it and the 10,000 with the best PC's can experience the max potential

So people can discuss it and what it's doing for the industry

So other developers see it succeeds and strive to make better looking games that aren't just 20 shaders stacked on top of each other
>>
>>341652967
PC gaming died in 2007.
>>
>>341654796
Basically right after the Xbox 360 came out and COD4 brought millions of kids and dudebros into gaming
>>
>>341654573
Can't really be helped when the sequels are basically the antitheses of everything that Crysis was.

>copied CoD in terms of gameplay
>used cheap techniques like fully rendering water underneath the levels to fake hardware stress
>shitloads of post-process effects that suck up performance with no way to turn them off except with mods
>dropped its fun multiplayer to become a deathmatch game with perks
>dropped huge, expansive levels for corridors (yes, even Crysis 3 had smaller, empty levels when compared to the first and Warhead)

Damned shame. I still play Crysis, Warhead and Mirror's Edge because of their unique blend of great graphics and gameplay.
>>
PC gaming will kill itself if it pursues being shiny above all else
>>
>>341655813
Why doesn't console gaming kill itself then? It pursues being more shiny than the competitor's game and that's how it markets itself
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.