[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
inventory screens
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: ITEMS.png (29 KB, 895x636) Image search: [Google]
ITEMS.png
29 KB, 895x636
what went wrong?
>>
>>341629206
I know most games use some sort of scaling UI nowadays anyway but back then they only had to account for a handful of resolutions so they could make the menu's look really nice since they didn't have to factor in up/downscaling it.
>>
Define "now" because I can show you 3 games from "then" that use that horrible inventory system, and 3 games from "now" that use icons and grids on a paper doll.
>>
>>341629206
Lists work better on console.
>>
Consoles
Thats literally it.
>>
>>341629893
compare morrowind to oblivion or the witcher 1 to the witcher 2
>>
File: 33-Phantasy-Star-4059.jpg (80 KB, 448x336) Image search: [Google]
33-Phantasy-Star-4059.jpg
80 KB, 448x336
"Then"
Phantasy Star 1-4 all used this literal fucking cancer "inventory" "list" where you had like maybe 10 things per page, then you had to window animation to another page overlayed on top, and you had to cancel out of EACH INDIVIDUAL FUCKING PAGE.

GOOD LUCK SORTING YOUR SHIT.
>>
>>341629206
Consoles, OP. Except, of course, the glorious WiiU.
>>
>>341630707
See you're just cherrypicking specific games you had a problem with, not an era of games that markedly define UI style.

I'm not gonna disagree with you on those specific points. Oblivion's inventory was ass, never played the witcher games though.
OPs image is clearly mimicking Diablo and Oblivion, or at least something very similar.
>>
>>341629708
This.
It's not as simple as just 720, 1080. and 4K either. There are a ton of odd resolutions scattered along the way and the difference between 720 and 4K is massive. Because of this, text menus are just easier to work with overall and usually look the same regardless of the resolution.

Games like Final Fantasy 14 do it right but, in this instance, I can't blame developers for taking the easy route.
>>
>>341630712
Holy shit, that sucks. I've always wanted to play the PS series. I played a little bit of PS1 and it seemed like a game I could really get into, although it would take a while.
>>
>inventory screens
>>
>>341630707
>compare 1 to 2

Did you forget about 3 you chucklefuck?
>>
>>341629206
ITT: we pretend all video games are Skyrim
>>
>>341631367
Don't get me wrong, Phantasy Star 4 is an amazing game, but that inventory destroyed my immune system.
>>
>>341631025
I haven't played the witcher 3 yet but pretty much every other big rpg in the last decade has used shitty lists. every bethesda game since oblivion, every bioware game since kotor.
>>
OP, that image is only valid for PC games. Consoles always had garbage inventory systems, as in >>341630712.

You only need to look at Elder Scrolls and the Witcher for examples of inventory systems that went to shit as soon as they started being developed with console ports in mind.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.