[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Uncomfortable Videogame Truths
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 10
File: overrated.jpg (198 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
overrated.jpg
198 KB, 1600x900
This game becomes a boring slog after The Green Sabre.
>>
File: consider it 2.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
consider it 2.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>Truths
>>
>>341625106

That's because you a busta
>>
uncomfortable truth: all GTA games are boring, people only keep buying them because they think it will recapture the magic of GTA3, or they are edgy kids.
>>
>>341625106
t. a very bad plane pilot.
>>
>>341625428
>magic of GTA3
San Andreas is easily best of that generation
>>
>>341625428
GTA IV is objectively the best in the series you poopyhead
>>
>>341625428
kill (you)'re selve
>>
File: 1391116091637.jpg (92 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1391116091637.jpg
92 KB, 400x400
>mfw you steal a jetpack from the government and get to use it whenever you want
>>
>>341625428
Yeah, pretty much every gta goes downhill after a certain point.
>>
>>341625580
I've beaten the game twice and it's true.
>Angel Pine
>Robbing liquor stores and stealing farm equipment until you finally get to leave
>San Fierro
>Follow a train all the way back to LS to kill 1 guy, dick around with car modding for an hour until it gets boring
>Las Venturas
>Greaseball errands, desert bullshit, le unfunny dank marijuana guy
The game doesn't actually pick up again until Sweet gets out.
>>
>>341625714
>Fuckall customization
>COUSIN LET'S GO BOWLING
>Suicidal friendly AI
>COUSIN LET'S GO BOWLING
>Can't own things other than a handful of story-locked safehouses
>COUSIN LET'S GO BOWLING
>>
>>341625106
the forest part is the only boring part of the game (although the catalina heist missions are fun as fuck) it picks up when you get to san fierro.
>>
>>341626287
you do realize you can turn off the phone calls right?
>>
>>341626082
Too bad it's slow as fuck and controls like ass. Go back and play the game again and I'll guarantee it won't be as good as you remember.
>>
>>341626514
Problem is, phone calls are also used for something other than
>COUSIN LET'S GO BOWLING
>>
>>341626673
it was actually fast, the problem was that you had to stay on lower ground.
>>
>>341626680
just ignore them. little jacob is the only friend with a good perk. you don't need roman's free taxis in a game about stealing cars.
>>
The Truth actually yields some of the comfiest moments in the game.
>>
>>341626852
Roman's taxis are the only ones that you can use when wanted. Trying to outrun a wide-ass radius when police spawn right in front of you is kinda hard
>>
>>341626852
>you don't need roman's taxis
what if i wanna roleplay as a remorseful serb who only steals and kills when he absolutely needs to?
>>
>>341627061
>serb
>>
>>341627324
he's a serbian who fought in the bosnian war, anon
>>
Jet Set Radio is pretty shit.

As is Beyond Good & Evil.
>>
>>341625428
Uncomfortable truth: despite it still being a good game 3 is the least well received 3d GTA
>>
>>341627438
Well fuck me, I thought he was Ukrainian for some reason.
>>
>>341627540
3 is great but the only people who actually play it now are 8 yr. old mexicunts who have to play old games on abuela's toaster.

it's pretty pathetic to look up mods for the game and have it be 90% TREVOR IN GTA 3 or GTA 5 WEAPON WHEEL IN GTA 3
>>
File: image.jpg (130 KB, 700x485) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130 KB, 700x485
Just keep playing this. It doesn't need a sequel.
>>
Zelda is trash
>>
>>341627061

I think GTA4 does the best job of making the player reluctant to be a criminal but it's appropriately hard for your attitude not to fall apart as the game progresses.
>>
Metal gear rising has a better story than Mgs V
>>
>Tfw San Fierro was actually my favourite "City" in the game

Loved the whole "Starting a business" aspect, plus I hate to use the word because it's a meme by now, but it felt "Comfy".

I love those mission types in GTA, I fucking loved Vice City when you acquire the movie studio and do missions to make it better for example.
>>
File: 1458251346933.png (114 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1458251346933.png
114 KB, 320x320
It picks back up when you get to the dessert. But yeah, country side fucking blows and so does san fran.
>>
>>341625106

I disagree, while the badlands part of SA isn't it's highest point, it still has a lot of great moments and at the end you get that great ass intro to San Fierro, San Fierro is probably one of my favorite sections of the game.
>>
There is not a single DOS game worth playing in current year, every single concept employed in a DOS game has been radically improved on by game that came after it. Anyone who disagrees needs to take off the nostalgia goggles.
>>
>>341627786

that game was never good.

People only liked it because everyone played it when they were 12. The new one is exactly the same, everyone is just trapped in nostalgia land.
>>
>>341625714
this tbqh not even joking
>>
>>341625714

It had some of the best features/physics etc. But it was just so god damn boring for the first few hours into it. I used to dread repeated playthroughs because I knew I'd have to slog through 60-90 minutes of "Drive Person to destination" missions.
>>
>>341629001

I think both the original and the new one are very good but people exaggerate how fun a 3D shoot em up like that can be. It's a little arcade game and if you're not looking for a high score (because you got memed on that anything else matters) then you're missing the point of the game
>>
I don't get why the game got paced so terribly after Sweet is arrested and you leave Los Santos. I mean, holy fucking shit, those are some boring hours with loads of travelling from that point forward. Mountains, mountains and mountains just to take a pic of guy and kill him, to meet someone a guy in a farm, to kill some farmers and finally go to Fierro and do shit in that town for while and not travelling that much. Zero's missions are boring and ununnecessary.
But after San Fierro? Here we go again... you need to travel back from Venturas to Fierro just to do a damn mission and repeat to other cities on the other side of the map. End-game I just enjoyed some missions of Torino and Woozie(like the robbery that takes shit tons of mini-missions), but those british guys? Fuck them.
>>
File: 200% BUSTA.png (134 KB, 239x387) Image search: [Google]
200% BUSTA.png
134 KB, 239x387
>>341625106
Are you damaged? If anything the game finally picks up.
>>
>>341630842
Such is the side effect of having a large map.

There's a reason why VC never had this problem.
>>
>>341629262
No bull though. Was I the only person who was happy when Niko got ran out of Hove and the real story began?
>>
>>341626270
t. Sweet Johnson
>>
>>341632190
it's not like i wanted you to get me out of jail or anything, cj-baka...
>>
Mass Effect 3 actually did some stuff right.
>>
>>341632454
Combat
End of list
>>
>>341630842

That mission where you track down the camera guy can be a bit annoying, more so because it's very easy to fuck it up when you first get to the train station in LS. I like having a little bit of a reason to travel back to older cities though, it's not like the map is incredibly huge. I guess I don't mind driving that much simply because it gives me a chance to play the radio and I like the scenery.
>>
>>341632812
it's just too bad sa's music was so bland.
the only good station was bounce.
>>
>>341632998

SA probably has my favorite radio selection though, VC is high up there and V is kind of notable too. I really enjoyed K-DST, X-Radio, and others from time to time.
>>
>>341629001
DUDE NOSTALGIA LMAO
>>
>>341626514
that would be a nice feature if it wasn't reset every time you launch the game or complete a mission
>>
>>341633254
Why did everyone start hating the phone call bullshit with 4? They've been doing it since San Andreas, that Denise bitch would call you every 5 minutes looking for attention.
>>
>>341632998
>God Tier
Master Sounds
WCTR
>Great Tier
Bounce
SF-UR
K-Rose
CSR
>Good Tier
Radio X
Radio Los Santos
Playback
K-DST
>Meh Tier
K-JAH
>>
truth: all video games turn to boring shit after playing them long enough
>>
>>341633621
>God Tier
Bounce
Playback
>Great Tier
Radio Los Santos
CSR
>Decent Tier
SF-UR
K-JAH
>Shit Tier
Everything else
>>
>>341633892

I've replayed SA 4-5 times over the years, surprisingly it's still a lot of fun every time I play.
>>
>>341633923
Hating Master Sounds while liking Bounce and CSR proves you're an immense contrarian.

And reggae is probably one of the worst genres of music in history.
>>
>>341633892
Real Truth: Most video games are fun long after you play them, but the parts that aren't fun will never be fun.

See: flying missions in SA.
>>
Should I play San Andreas or Bully first? Never played a Rockstar game before outside of RDR.
>>
>>341634136
master sounds is boring, anon

it's literally the morrowind of grand theft auto: san andreas radio stations
>>
>>341634280
Probably San Andreas first, just make absolutely sure nobody spoils the story for you otherwise the whole game becomes shit.
>>
Every zelda game is repetitive and boring with shitty combat

Theyre also pretty much the same with no innovation since alttp
>>
>>341634327
>it's literally the morrowind of grand theft auto: san andreas radio stations

Not with James Brown and Gloria Jones on it.

It's literally the best of all the funk/soul stations, m8. Get some taste and drive around pimping for a while listening to it, you'll understand.
>>
>>341631605
VC has also a charm and that soundtrack. The map made sense and it was easy to travel.
SA map was a mess in desert and mountain areas. Since they make you travel a lot after Los Santos the first time will make you lose track and fall in the the damn rivers with no cars or boats in sight. And the fucking mountains areas have loads of broken paths if you want to shortcut. The only ways to avoid this is to go around the roads wasting more time or go through the train sections.
>>341632812
That mission was boring, bit long and tricky when station+stairs.
I didn't mind driving the first time playing the game. Just the 2nd time I realized how tedious it was after leaving Los santos with "mission in San Fierro, you are in flint county, go to Fierro and now go way back do flint county again to start mission". "you are in San Fierro? Look Woozie needs you in Venturas to do a mission in some place else out of Venturas"
>>
>>341634874
I can't pimp right now because I'M STUCK IN GOD DAMN MOTHERFUCKING SHITTY ANGEL PINE
>>
>>341625428
>recapture the magic of VC

Fixed.
>>
>>341635158
>Not maxing your pimping level right after saving Denise and getting the pimp suit from her

Just admit you don't know how to play this game, sucka.
>>
>>341635040

I liked both VC's and SA's map, the only issue I have with VC's map is it has some areas that are pretty much just empty space. You have the giant beach on the east and a huge airport that's used in one mission. It's not a huge issue, I just found it a weird design choice. VC has it's soundtrack and atmosphere going for it, but beyond that SA was an improvement over VC in pretty much every aspect.
>>
>>341634280
GTA SA will probably take shit ton of time and you know what you are getting from GTAs.
Bully is school and classes, towns, 70-80s soundtracks, boxing, dating, karting, messing around with kids or adults, unlocking clothes and toy weapons. And is much shorter than SA.
If you want to shot shit then SA, if you want to chill around and be a brat then Bully.
>>
>>341635424
is some clothes and a car really worth 80 trips to KFC though?
>>
If a game has really long animations for the main character or the enemies, that game is the cancer that is killing the gaming industry.
>>
>>341635469

Actually wait I don't think that's the right map, well close enough, you get the point.
>>
>>341635469
what's that island on the left???
>>
>>341635808
Denise is the easiest to level up, m8.

Just go to the bar which is like five seconds from her house, or shoot up the Ballas.

Takes like an hour and a half to max out her relationship.

Her car is trash tho, can't even pimp in it.
>>
>>341636079

idk, didn't notice that until a second ago, might be a mod
>>
>>341625106
>Los Santos is fun
>woodland adventures is not fun
>San Fierro is fun
>desert safari is not fun
>Los Venturas alternates between fun and not gun
>Los Santos again

San Andreas had peaks and valleys when it came to gameplay, which I guess is better than GTA IV where everything sucked.
>>
>>341635469
Yeah, SA is an improvement, but there are things I just didn't like. One of the things I liked and didn't talked about was the random lines from npcs and customization(like muscles, fat or thin CJ), that shit was pretty good.
VC seemed a bunch of islands connect with bridges, but it just worked. The many hispanic gangs made the game to be more alive.
>huge airport for 1 mission
It seems pretty GTA to me. Just 5 was useful as far I remember.
4 had like a huge industrial area that was for a mission I think.
>>
File: 1464508053390.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1464508053390.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
I miss bosses like in GTA3.

The protagonist didn't talk so they had to be really interesting to be worth a cutscene. It's not like V where the protagonists and supporting cast can just bullshit around with improv and hope it ends up being interesting. It's like why does GTA 3 have big guys like Salvatore Leone or Asuka or Machowski and everyone but Lamar in V is totally forgettable?
>>
>>341636321
>everything sucked in IV

IV had some great missions. Three Leaf Clover and the date with French Tom spring to mind.
>>
>>341625428

uncomfortable truth: you are a faggot, 'cause GTA is one of the most FUN series of videogames out there
>>
>>341636818

Yeah but for every mission with personality like the date (which is less a mission than a joke, since you just walk in and shoot him) everything else is "drive here and do some cover based shooting, they're Albanians or something."
>>
>>341636785
Lamar should have his own story in GTA V
>>
GTA missions were never fun before GTA V. Don't act like the missions were the driving force of GTA at any point.
>>
>>341633486
those were scripted calls and there were like four in the entire game
>>
>>341637091
But what if GTA V is about the end of the 1990s and the gangster era just like RDR is about the end of the Wild West?
>>
>>341625428
GTA V is the best game in the series
only nostalgiafags will say otherwise
>>
>>341637180
>I never played GTA III
>>
>>341633486
>implying anyone liked THE YAY LEAVIN SAN FIERRO RIGHT?
>>
>>341637187
disregard i suck cocks, i was thinking of catalina

girlfriends won't call you at all if you don't date them a single time (which is nice because you still get to enjoy their perks)
>>
>played IV and V, including DLCs, to 100% before playing SA
>liked SA more

Honestly the only thing I do not like in SA is the girlfriend mechanic. I just hate relationship shit in games. I guess not seeing someone for a business week means they want you dead.
>>
File: clue.gif (36 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
clue.gif
36 KB, 400x300
>>
>>341637761
god of war
>>
San Andreas becomes shit as soon as the hood aesthetic is torn away

It temporarily gets good again with Woozie but that's it
>>
>>341637180
The missions are my favourite things in gta

I didnt really like 5 while we're on the subject, only one i never finished

Loved 3 vc sa and iv aswell
>>
File: ThousandYearDoor.png (240 KB, 781x430) Image search: [Google]
ThousandYearDoor.png
240 KB, 781x430
A huge chunk of the game is boring filler.
>>
>>341629262
>I used to dread repeated playthroughs because I knew I'd have to slog through 60-90 minutes of "Drive Person to destination" missions
To be fair, most missions in the game are about driving from place to place, which isn't a problem for me since I love driving in IV.
>>
>>341628216
It was the best for cop chases with all the hills making perfect jumps
>>
>>341628216
>start a business aspect
Fucking this. Just why did they scrap this thing from the next games
>>
/v/ has awful taste in video games
>>
>>341625106
Yeah...unfortunately. It also broke on you if you happen to reach over 50 "cheat activated. Madd Dogg jumps before you can grab that shit truck.
>>
>>341625428
uncomfortable truth: you are the only edgy kid here.
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.