[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aonuma: The Wii U GamePad Was a Mistake
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 21
File: Sad-Wii-U.jpg (46 KB, 672x371) Image search: [Google]
Sad-Wii-U.jpg
46 KB, 672x371
>The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's director Eiji Aonuma has admitted that the Wii U GamePad can actually disrupt gameplay by forcing players to look back and forth between the GamePad and their TV.

>"We realized that having something on the GamePad and looking back and forth between the TV screen and the GamePad actually disrupts the gameplay, and the concentration that the game player may be experiencing," Aonuma told Wired. "You have your car's GPS system on your dash. If you had it down in your lap, you’re going to get into an accident!"

http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/the_legend_of_zelda/news/zelda_director_admits_wii_u_gamepad_disrupts_gameplay.html
>>
File: g3cC6.png (622 KB, 729x611) Image search: [Google]
g3cC6.png
622 KB, 729x611
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

Well, today is going to be a fucking shit storm now isn't it.
>>
>>341605791
This was posted yesterday but yea, gamepad is shit for how they wanted to use it.

It's good for shit like splatoon and the items in WW HD.

Not really worth making an entire console gimmick around though
>>
>>341605374
That is god damned hilarious. So can Nintendo please stop listening to Miyamoto for hardware ideas?
>>
>>341605791
shitstorm about what? everyone knows it
>>
>>341606196
its more that Nintendo themselves are saying that its a stupid and disruptive gimmick
>>
>>341606004
>Not really worth making an entire console gimmick around though
Especially when you have a handheld that can already connect to your system. They're so fucking stupid. They could have used connected 3DS/DS for ouch controllers with screens on it. Would have lowered the cost of the system while helping push another line of hardware.

But nah gotta make a giant shitty "tablet" that can't even do what tablet computers can do so that you can pretend you're competing with someone you're not.
>>
Well the Sheika slate was clearly supposed to be a parallel to the Wii U tablet

Does this mean the NX will have a similar controller?
>>
>Aonuma just played Star Fox Zero
>>
Soo... is Off-TV play confirmed?
>>
>>341605374
He's absolutely right but it's sad it took this long for someone at Nintendo to realize this. What the fuck were they thinking when they were designing the Wii U?
>>
>>341605374
So what does this mean for the NX
>>
>>341606404
Nope, you don't even need the gamepad to play Zelda U, its confirmed for pro controller support.
>>
>>341606549
MUH DIIIIIIIIK
>>
I love the idea of Miyamoto sitting there, SFZ fresh in his mind, having to smile and not as Aonuma completely shits on the thing he just spent 2.5 years trying to make good use out of
>>
>>341606471
The GamePad should have been only used like in Xenoblade X : a map with infos on it. Not an actual gameplay necessity, but something that should be used when there's no action.
>>
>>341606471
Well this could have very well happened with Wii too but it didn't. It is called taking risks. Sometimes it will backfire, sometimes it will be glorious.

You can always pull a Sony and wait someone else to take a risk then copy it if it succeeds tho.
>>
Of course the gamepad was a mistake. If anything I'm surprised that it took them this long to publicly admit it. It certainly had its uses but it should have never been anything more than an optional accessory. I like it for what it is but Ninty effed up.

t. proud Wii U owner since launch
>>
>>341606004
wiggity what was the wiggitiy-wii then, famdesu?
>>
>>341605374
I hope this means the NX is just a slightly more powerful Wii U with a regular controller, maybe with a gyroscope because that's actually pretty helpful for aiming. They could have sold the Wii U for so god damn little if it weren't for the fucking tablet attached to it.
>>
Did Aonuma just UNJUSTED himself this E3?
>is making the best Zelda
>no handholding and exploration
>no annoying partner
>actually listened to feedback about going back to the roots of Zelda
>just saying it as it is. the gamepad was not a good idea and its not going to be implemented in a notorious way
>>
>>341606854
NX is more waggle shit.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/06/e3_2016_ubisoft_is_confident_that_nintendo_nx_can_recapture_lapsed_wii_players
>>
File: Goemon.jpg (23 KB, 290x324) Image search: [Google]
Goemon.jpg
23 KB, 290x324
>>341606313
This is the greatest thing Nintendo has ever said. I'm surprised we're not flooded by Sonyggers complaining about the pad being awesome and they should totally keep doing gimmicks for the NX.
>>
>>341605374
>Star Fox Zero
muh innovative two screen controls
>Zelda
fuck all gimmicks

Good thing aonuma handles the series and not miyamoto
>>
Stop shitposting. Wii U already won this gen. Best exclusives, tablet controller is fresh, innovative and works well, high sales all around. We really need the mods to clean up shitposts like OPs within minutes, this thread shouldn't still be up on an ideal website.
>>
HOLY shit they figure this just out now?

How fucking out of touch are they?
>>
>>341607040
Video games are in danger of becoming movies, they must have realized it's up to them to save the industry.

Gameplay has become the new gimmick
>>
>>341605374
it only worked well for asymmetrical multiplayer and game design where disruption was the point (zombiU). It's a shame that nintendo pretty much gave up on that after nintendoland apart from a handful of games.
>>
>>341607116
>Aonuma realizes he's wrong about Zelda
>Aonuma realizes the gamepad is shit
Aonuma takeover of Nintendo when? Maybe he can beat some sense into Tanabe.
>>
>>341607203
>>341607298
You're not fooling anyone sonygger.
>>
File: 1457044988783.jpg (42 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1457044988783.jpg
42 KB, 300x300
>>341605374
Now all they need to do is admit Amiibo were a mistake.
>>
>>341607296
no they didnt? Splatoon uses it exclusively and that was their most recent big game
>>
Aonuma....
What sort of black magic has this man recently been a part of for such a radical change to occur?
I don't know if OP made this thread to shitpost or not, but I for one am incredibly relieved that somebody at Nintendo acknowledges that the gamepad idea doesn't work.

This gives me even more hope for the NX
>>
The stupid thing about it is that not alot of Nintendos own first party games actually used it for anything interesting. Most of them just used it for menus.

And when they did use it, it was for the awesome gyroscope controls like in Splatoon.

Just look at the 3D mario games for example.

>Mario 64 : Uses the new controllers analog stick and c-stick to take full advantage of 3d movement and space.
>Sunshine : Uses new controllers analog triggers to allow the player to control Fludds output of water
>Galaxy : Uses the new Motion Controls and Pointer for core gameplay mechanics, spinning and star bit collecting/shooting, as well as using it for many other gimmicks and power-ups within the world.
>3D World: Uses gamepad for like 5 gimmick levels and thats it. No core gameplay mechanic used for it.
>>
>>341607320
If Zelda ends up selling as well as it has been received, probably soon.

They'll probably rename the NX to the Aonuma Station if he can pull this off. In one trailer the man saved Nintendo from 5 years of ridicule and made everyone turn on their competition.
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-16+at+05.53.55).png (6 KB, 343x94) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-16+at+05.53.55).png
6 KB, 343x94
>>341607396
see a psychiatrist, faggot
>>
>>341607404
>gives "epic gaymers" nerd boners
>makes them a shitton of money

no way, pal
>>
>>341606406
Star Fox Zero was fun as fuck to play. People in /V/ are just bad at videogames.
>>
>>341606456
it's confirmed you can use the pro controller
>>
>>341605374
UNJUST
>>
File: minish01.jpg (31 KB, 314x235) Image search: [Google]
minish01.jpg
31 KB, 314x235
>>341605374
>>The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's director Eiji Aonuma

Yeah no, fuck you and your source,stopped reading right there .Director was already confirmed to be Hidemaro Fujibayashi.
>>
Wow, they finally realize why it worked great for the DS but not for a home console.
>>
File: emi.gif (858 KB, 506x565) Image search: [Google]
emi.gif
858 KB, 506x565
He never said the Wii U Gamepad was a mistake. Stupid, sensationalizing OP.

The Wii U, like any other peripheral, all depends on implementation.
>>
>>341607404
But they aren't in the sense that you can finally get merchandise of particular Nintendo characters that aren't just Japanese exclusive gachapons or the like.

I have a figure of Little Mac. He hasn't had one of those since 1988.
>>
>>341607404
I like Amiibo because I like to collect things, but I do agree they seem to talk about them a lot more than necessary.
>>
>>341607606
How is unable to use it not a big blunder, faggot?
>>
Oh, so they FINALLY get it now?

Of course it took until the end of the wiiu's life span and the utter and complete failure of it before they admit to it, so they probably didn't actually learn anything from this and are just placing the blame.
>>
>>341607469
We're talking some occult deal with the devil right here.

>One game
>B-But Aonuma-san! We'll be destroyed!
>We will show one game at E3
>Preasu understandu at least let us show off Kirby: Robobot, Hyrule Warrior Legends or-
>No. One game. Baphomet has spoken.
>>
>>341607475
>Uses the new Motion Controls and Pointer for core gameplay mechanics, spinning and star bit collecting/shooting
Did you have to waggle in ur mr gay? I remember just being able to lay down and flick your wrist or something if need be.
>>
>>341607116
I love the pad for off-TV play but that's literally all it's good for.
>>
>>341607684
I just feel like they didn't want to admit it. None of their own games used the second screen in a meaningful way
>>
>>341607417
I don't think they're saying the improved gyro functionality was a mistake, because it wasn't. However the second screed that isn't directly connected to the screen you're supposed to be looking at was. ZombiU only made the clunky attention swapping work because they anticipated it and designed around it, and even then "work" is subjective because designing something to feel clunky doesn't stop it from feeling clunky in the first place.
>>
>>341605374
Nothing wrong with the gamepad the problem is they force you to use it instead of using it as optional device, which is retarded
>>
>>341607734
It was optional, and mostly just gave you an incentive to inspect the area when moving to a new planetoid.

It seemed pathetic at the time but ended up being the best use of motion controls.
>>
File: confused inkling girl.jpg (115 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
confused inkling girl.jpg
115 KB, 1280x720
>>341607660
Games like Nintendo Land used it pretty well, faggot.

And I use it a lot for off TV play, you double faggot. Also for browsing the web. OP is just trying to start shit, I am sickened, as a namefag I might even filter him.
>>
>>341607734
It atleast used the new controller for something other than several gimmick levels
>>
The tablet is pretty comfy for stuff like Xenoblade X map. Otherwise its completely useless and it basically killed the console
>>
>>341607835
The only time I've used that was for Kirby, and that was because my cousin was fucking around on the actual TV.

Pretty comfy actually, but for that matter it ended up just being a handheld.
>>
>>341607469
I am making offerings to the goddess of the underworld Hel everyday in order to take bad developers and strengthen the good, maybe that helped

I also buy fish daily and make offerings to Poseidon, so that he may have the strength to sink some refugee boats
>>
>>341607417
they used the gyros for splatoon mostly. The screen is an afterthought and offers almost no advantage to just having a map overlay pop up when you press a button. Remember that the game can be played with a wiimote tied to a pro controller.

Also, I was talking about asymmetrical multiplayer and intentionally disrupting the players attention, of which there is none in splatoon
>>
>>341607914
It was used for minigames, it should've been a bundled peripheral, not a forced addition.

Imagine how many 3DS they'd sell with that weird keyboard peripheral being a required component.
>>
>>341607914
keep slurping that nintendo semen, nintendonkey
It's a bad peripheral and bad design, deal with it
>>
File: PoseidonWrathful.png (56 KB, 139x170) Image search: [Google]
PoseidonWrathful.png
56 KB, 139x170
>>341608025
I don't think he cares, lad
>>
>>341605374
>The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's director Eiji Aonuma
But the SS director is directing it
>>
>>341607520
>/V/
Who?
>>
>>341608093
Was it? I mean, it's no SNES controller but compared to the Wiimote I thought the design could've been a lot worse. It felt good holding and you could even play MH with it.
>>
>>341607914
dumb nintendo crapposter
>>
>>341607710
>Preasu understandu at least let us show off Kirby: Robobot, Hyrule Warrior Legends
Didn't those both come out a while ago?
>>
>>341608224
hi r u retard prolly plz dont b retard next time thanks!!
>>
>>341608309
who wants to hold a fucking tablet to play games? It doesn't matter how ergonomic it is when it's a complete useless waste of everything

And no, it isn't that amazingly ergonomic
>>
File: nintendo-nx.jpg (31 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
nintendo-nx.jpg
31 KB, 640x360
CLEANSE THE MEDIOCRITY

PURGE THE MOVIE-GAMES

SHAME THE INFLATED BUDGETS

SMOTHER VR IN ITS CRIB

MAKE GAMEPLAY GREAT AGAIN
>>
File: tomoko smells herself.jpg (11 KB, 221x228) Image search: [Google]
tomoko smells herself.jpg
11 KB, 221x228
>>341608071
Because at the time it was a nice idea from Nintendo and many people like me seriously saw it's potential.

>>341608093
It was not bad design and not a bad peripheral, but there was poor implementation on nintendo's part thought the life of the Wii U, I will admit.
>>
>>341605791
>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
you ok kid?
>>
the over-reliance on the gamepad is one of the reasons the Wii U failed.

But I'll be damned if I don't love that thing regardless. Maybe it's because I play so much Splatoon.
I have also often heard anons here on /v/ praise the off-TV play, so it's clearly not all bad.
But yeah, it should have been handled differently
>>
Just look at Star Fox. It was a nice game, most importantly, it was Nintendo trying to implement the "gimmick" properly.

You guys are just mad for the most asinine reasons.
>>
>known for being only console maker still thinking about local multiplayer
>make console where players are forced to have different controllers

That'll make it easy for developers.
>>
>>341608456
>yfw NX is a flop and Nintendo quietly exits the console race
>>
>>341608309
I dont hate the gamepad, but I hate nintendo for basing an entire console around it. At least with the wiimote it was an interesting concept that hadn't been tried before.

But Nintendo had already done second screen gimmicks on the DS, and that worked well because you could see both screens at the same time. The gamepad ruins that by forcing you to constantly look between two screens.
>>
>>341606172
Actually, Iwata-san made the final call to add the gamepad, even after the lukewarm reception. Google it.
>>
>>341608639
Look at Splatoon too, and that was GOTY material. See how the gamepad was done well as a shooter?
>>
>>341608713
What console race? The Xbox is a PC peripheral now. There will only be one console left on the market.
>>
>>341607040
He knew about the problems fully. He just had a bunch of red tape in the way due to previous CEO backseat developing games. Every casual title last gen is because of this CEO's faggotry
>>
>>341608025
>Hel
>Posiedon

Pray to AEgir lad. He'd probably be more inclined to hear your request anyways.
>>
>>341608639
>>341608753
Both of these games worked because this kind of gyroscope control/aiming works in these kind of games. But how do you make the gamepad work in a meaningful way in a 2d platformer, or a 3d one? Because Nintendo clearly can't figure out how.
>>
>>341608586
To be fair at least the pad worked, the Wiimote just sat and sucked batteries when you weren't using it and that console sold like 80 million.
>>
>>341608813
SONY ALWAYS WIN BABE!
>>
>>341606839
A controller, like a mouse is, or that one Playstation Controller.
>>
>>341607914
Nintendoland isn't a game. It's a compilation of 12 minigames, most of which could've been played without a Wii U gamepad anyway. I seriously think that the Yoshi Minigame is the only one that couldn't have been done without the gamepad.
>>
>>341608454
It seems you just played with it some but not really enough... Playing XBCX with the Gamepad was great and Off-TV is also great gimmick.

One downside of the gamepad is the batterylife, If only it was possible to play on the Gamepad without having the screen turned on, it could last a little longer.
Also on longer play sessions my right thumb started to cramp a little, so I needed to adjust my holding position.
>>
>>341608986
People can't handle it. Skyward Sword finally had good motion controls and Kid Icarus finally had good touchscreen controls, and what's the biggest complaint about both? "Hurr durr this is not a Dualshock I can't learn new controls, it's the game's fault and never mind all those people who can beat both without taking a single hit"
>>
>>341607203
>>341607396
>he hasn't seen fanboys defend NoA
>>
He's right. Some game's handled it fine (W101's puzzle sections), while a few didn't realize this.

Star Fox Zero was probably the worst offender. The rail shooter sections were perfect. The moment the boss fight hits, the game goes to shit. Almost every boss uses a stupid gamepad gimmick that makes you constantly switch between both screens.
>>
>>341609257
>implying the WiiU didn't have good games despite the pad being shit

Oh, you're one of "those" people, huh?
>>
File: faaaaaalco.png (231 KB, 473x554) Image search: [Google]
faaaaaalco.png
231 KB, 473x554
>>341605374
Wow, Aonuma is growing up as a designer finally. Maybe Nintendo CAN finally fucking move on from trash gimmicks and focus on game depth again.
>>
>>341609225
>Skyward Sword finally had good motion controls
Not really.

Uprising on the other hand is fantastic with those controls.
>>
>>341609332
>(W101's puzzle sections)
No fuck you. W101 is literally the only Platinum game I like, and even then I can't defend those sections. They were the worst parts of any stage, especially if it needed extensive use of camera movement.
>>
>>341605374
>>The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's director Eiji Aonuma

He's not the director though
>>
File: wayne%201.jpg (127 KB, 620x376) Image search: [Google]
wayne%201.jpg
127 KB, 620x376
>mfw having good games was basically irrelevant to people this gen

What do they even use their consoles for
>>
>>341609358
Aonuma has always done this. Haven't you noticed how virtually every Legend of Zelda game takes the complaints everyone had about the last game and focuses on fixing them, often to the point of causing new problems?
>>
File: 1452291629988.gif (498 KB, 194x269) Image search: [Google]
1452291629988.gif
498 KB, 194x269
As a Wii U owner there are very little games that actually made use of the gamepad to the point it could have ONLY been on the Wii U.

>Splatoon literally have to look down to look at the map. Using Ink Nuke sucks
>Pikmin 3, most of the touch controls just replace the analog stick, a method that was fine in earlier games.
>Mario Maker at least had the drawing thing going. But again, could easily be on PC control wise.

The only real good thing about the Wii U tablet was being able to play Bayonetta 2 while taking a dump.
>>
File: 1419071318725.gif (95 KB, 320x210) Image search: [Google]
1419071318725.gif
95 KB, 320x210
>>341605374
I liked it. It allowed me for very satisfying sections of off tv play.
I think Wii U's biggest problems were the lack of third party support and the fact it is region locked, not the gamepad.
To each their own, I guess. That's just Aonuma's opinion.
>>
>Ninten"drones" openly admitting the pad was a mistake
>Sonyggers still unironically pretending the PS4 and Vita has games

We are such enlightened, wonderful people.
>>
>>341608639
I disagree, starfox was nintendo trying to implement the gimmick at all costs. There were several ways to make the game more intuitive but they had to use every feature the gamepad had. The game didn't need two different views with different information, or gamepad-only audio, and all that necessary rendering also hurt the game graphically.

even though I liked the game, it would've been much better if it didn't have a "show off the gamepad" design concept
>>
>>341609867
But the PS4 looks like its actually getting some exclusives now. Vita is dead, we all know that.

And people have known the pad was a mistake since it was announced.
>>
Were you supposed to use the pad as an actual controller with the WiiU?
I picked it up in a store and tried a WiiU game out and just couldn't get comfortable with this tablet like thing.
>>
>"We realized that having something on the GamePad and looking back and forth between the TV screen and the GamePad actually disrupts the gameplay, and the concentration that the game player may be experiencing,"
NO
FUCKING
SHIT

Does Nintendo's upper management even play games anymore? They didn't even focus test this shit, anyone sane would have told them exactly that.
>>
>>341609672
>Pikmin 3, most of the touch controls just replace the analog stick, a method that was fine in earlier games.

touch and wiimote pointer were far superior to the analog controls in the previous games, though
>>
>>341609576
I found out yesterday the xbone has zero exclusives if you don't care about halo.

Now it really has 0 because of win10 shit but still.
>>
>>341609456
It's more the fact you can take your time on them, rather than having to jump between 2 screens while avoiding attacks.

There's one I can think of where they drop a few enemies on you, the section where you pilot the ship. But even then they give you more than enough time to kill them before obstacles start showing up again.
>>
>>341610049
I'm fine with using it as a regular controller, but the fact that the battery life is so low kills it for me. Even more confusing is that the pro controllers battery life is so fucking high.
>>
>>341609216
>If only it was possible to play on the Gamepad without having the screen turned on
Some games shut it off, like DKC Tropical Freeze
>>
>>341610180
It's weird, because the 360 had tons of exclusives because sony fucked up the PS3 so hard with CELL. Vesperia, Vanquish, Lost Odyssey, Sonata, what the hell happened to 3rd party developers in general?
>>
>We realized that having something on the GamePad and looking back and forth between the TV screen and the GamePad actually disrupts the gameplay"

No fucking shit.
Should have realized this before you released the fucking console.
>>
>>341609580
I dunno
It took em a few games to tone down on the tutorials
>>
>>341609580
No, Since SS almost had same problems as TP did.
>>
>>341610350
They moved back to Sony because they knew Sony was going to get more people onto the console thanks to a lower Price and the reception of the Xbone at its reveal.
>>
>>341610031
PS4 was just having an insanely slow start like the PS3
You would think devs would've hopped on the bandwagon sooner though when the PS4 was selling a gorillion units despite having no games to play yet, just think of all those people starved for games.
>>
>>341605374
Only thing i enjoy about the game pad is that i can use it like i would my DS round the house
>>
>>341610442
I think that's probably because a lot of the feedback they get is people not knowing how to do something that was explained in a tutorial.
>>
>>341610350
I think the last xbox exclusive I cared about was viva pinata.
>>
File: 1437532001306.jpg (156 KB, 1019x881) Image search: [Google]
1437532001306.jpg
156 KB, 1019x881
>pirates fuck the PSP raw
>Vita comes out with propriety SD cards that are responsible for its death
>pirates fuck the 3ds and Wii U raw
>NX comes out with ???
>>
>>341610679
Wii U piracy didn't start until earlier this year I thought? That is well after the console died.
>>
>>341610679
Nintendo always at least tries to prevent piracy, hell it took a lot longer to bust open the 3DS and WiiU than the PSP and DS.

Any security measures can be broken if someone gives enough of a fuck, or if someone majorly fucks up like the devs of Cubic Ninja or other games used as starting points for CFW hocus pocus.
>>
>>341610679
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_data_storage

>Nintendo filed a Joint Research Agreement with InPhase for holographic storage in 2008.[12]
>>
>>341610679
>pirates fuck the 3ds
Wrong.
3DS is still selling like hotcakes and hasn't slowed down even remotely, and the software still sells millions.

If you don't think Sun & Moon are going to sell millions just because a few people on 4chan pirated their 3ds, then you're delusional.
>>
>I don't like looking back and forth on the pad like a lot of annoying WiiU titles, it adds nothing to the game
>"The demo was completely, undoubtedly 100% perfect! Shut the fuck troll I bet you're a Sonygger!"
>nintendo themselves announce it's shit
>"Well yeah of course, it's always been shit! Everyone knew this already. This game is now absolutely perfect!"
Speaking of mistakes, I need to just stop browsing this shithole. Is there a discussion board that's similar to 2007 /v/ where people shared opinions about videogames?
>>
File: 1466093544997s.jpg (7 KB, 250x187) Image search: [Google]
1466093544997s.jpg
7 KB, 250x187
>>341605374
>>341605791
>Makes piece of shit of hardware just so they can include an ipad controller
>controller ends up being disruptive
>>
>>341610960
People here seem to forget that most normalfags and children don't pirate shit
>>
>>341611372
>>"The demo was completely, undoubtedly 100% perfect! Shut the fuck troll I bet you're a Sonygger!"
Did they even talk about the wii u pad or are you just plainly shitposting.

No one sane has ever defended the wii u pad, just like no one sane ever defended waggling
>>
>>341611498
Just like the Wii, where most games were ruined with the 2 buttons wiimote.
I'm sure the next system will also have a pointless gimmick that will cost half the total price of the NX, because Nintendo fixing their retarded mentality is something I lost hope for a decade ago.
>>
>>341606196
nintendrones have always defended it
but now suddenly
>hurr everyone knows already this isnt news stop talking about it reee
>>
Controlling the Baterang in Arkham City Armored Edition was pretty neat. And other games where you could manage your inventory on the Gamepad screen.

The touch pad on the PS4 controller was a big joke cause I NEVER FOUND ANY USE FOR IT! The Gamepad was a superb idea but it just shouldn't have been a mandatory thing for the system. It's a shame that such a good idea as this is now seen as irrelevant one due to all the fucking crybabies that more likely suck shit at video games in the first place.
>>
>>341611768
>>341611372
>nintendrones have always defended it
what bizarro world have you come from where people liked the gamepad
>>
>>341607404
>printing money machine
>a mistake
?
>>
>>341606471
They get to say it now because they are shelving the WiiU to sell the NX, of course.
But 3 years ago? Best thing ever made. The touch gimmicks added so much depth and innovation to the games, you see.

>>341607606
Every implementation of the WiiU gamepad has been shit, for example there is a lack of couch asymmetrical games, which could be the perfect use of the second screen.
When this is the case, and considering the fact that the tablet cost $150 (probably a major contributor tot he fact that it failed, releasing extremely high priced and barely better than a 360), I do agree that the WiiU tablet was a failure in the end.
>>
>>341611596
>>341611879
>nobody defended it!
It's like you started browsing /v/ today. This is hilarious. Are you part of the hivemind, by chance?
During the first year of the WiiU release, I criticized the gamepad being a waste of money since it wasn't getting any efficient usage. A horde of drones came rushing in and demanded I take a photo of my controller with a date to prove I owned one. That event was particularly amusing, I remember it to this day.

Nintendrones have always defended the WiiU pad like they always defended 3D shit. Motion controls were more on the conflicted side, but still defended to death by some. You have to be genuinely retarded not to know this, or you're drones yourselves being delusional.
>>
>>341611805
No. It was a terrible idea. If the touchpad on the PS4 did anything, it kept the console from costing $450 or $500 at launch. The Wii U could've launched at $250 or $300 for the Deluxe Edition had it been bundled with a pro controller instead, and it has a battery life that lasts like 60-80 hours, instead of 3.

Nintendo didn't really have an idea of how to use it. Previous controllers like the N64 controller was built around the games they were developing. Super Mario 64 didn't feel good with a D-pad, so they made the stick. The Wii U gamepad wasn't made like this. They didn't make the games first then decide that the gamepad was the best choice. They made the gamepad first and then tried to fit the games around it, which showed just how little foresight they had when it wouldn't be until Splatoon came out over 2 years later that they had a game that couldn't be played without it, and even then Splatoon wasn't a game that couldn't be done without it.

So yeah. A controller that ups the price of the entire system by a marginal degree, has a terrible battery life, isn't easy or cheap to replace, and isn't even cocking used that much is not a superb idea as far as I'm concerned. But at the very least, it gave us a unique Star Fox experience, the unique experience no one asked for or even liked. So that's an accolade they can put on the slim model.
>>
>>341611879

I like the gamepad. It's comfy and nice to use.
>>
>>341612938
I browse relatively frequently but this is the most I've done in a while because of E3.

I've never seen a person defend the game pad, and I've always thought it was shit.

Better than wagglan by a mile, but still useless. I got it for free in like mid 2013 or something
>>
I love the gyro controls on Splatoon, using the pro controller+wii mote was also great, and I wish it wasn't limited to the battle dojo. I hope that NX controller is literally a pro controller with gyro capabilities, and maybe even a small touch area similar to the PS4 controller. The gamepad is always not as bad as I remember when I go back and use it.
>>
That's how the marketing for the new console starts.
By telling you how shit the current one is.
>>
File: wtfudoin.jpg (59 KB, 900x624) Image search: [Google]
wtfudoin.jpg
59 KB, 900x624
>>341607558
>Look him um
>Directed Skyward Sword
What the fuck?!
>>
File: Bad.jpg (92 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Bad.jpg
92 KB, 400x400
>>341605374
>Wii U gamepad was a mistake
>Nintendo's next controller is MAGNET SHAPED

They just don't learn
>>
>>341610679
>Pirates fuck the 3ds
>big shit storm about FE Fates and how everyone was going to pirate it
>fastest selling FE ever
>>
>>341608732
>>341608925
I'm glad Iwata is finally dead.
>>
Honestly though the gamepad was a cool idea. What they should have done is have it and a regular controller come with the console. That way developers could choose too use it or not. I wouldn't want the gamepad to be completely scrapped because off TV play is comfy as fuck.
>>
>>341614478
but nobody knows what the next console is let alone the controller
>>
>>341606549
Why would you use the controller with no gyro?
>>
>>341605374
Good. Can we finally get a Normal controler for the NX? I'd be okay with something like the PS4 touchpad but that's it.
>>
>>341615282
Bow targeting without the gyro won't be quite as precise but it's still managable, especially when there's that time slowdown thing you can do
>>
>Wiimote + nunchuck
>great ergonomics
>Wii U Gamepad
>ergonomically worse than a NES pad
How did they fuck up so badly?
>>
>>341615913
Well for one you've fucked up for thinking the wiimote was a good idea in any way
>>
>>341616325

wii mote + nunchuk is great for shooters.
>>
>>341616325
I think Wiimote+Nunchuck is a good idea

just needs to be designed more like an actual gamepad

I actually don't care for motion control(just pointer and shake finishes like in NMH) but I love that is like a split gamepad
>>
>>341616325
I didn't say it was a good idea, just that it didn't fuck up my hands.

>>341616543
It's ok for TPS, but still worthless for FPS.
>>
>>341615282
80 hours of battery life vs 3 hours of battery life. (8 with an extended battery)
>>
>>341614478
are you literally retarded?
>>
I like the idea of the gamepad, but as an optional thing, and not as the main controller. Just playing off-screen has come in handy for me a number of times. I don't need stupid maps and shit.
>>
>>341605374
I wouldn't say the gamepad is a mistake, but I'd say it's very misused. A lot of games had been held down because they absolutely had to use it in some way, instead of doing what the DS did and just use it to enhance the experience, rather than having it revolve around it. I have absolutely 0 idea why they never did shit like Fire Emblem or Batallion Wars/Advance wars where the bottom screen gameplay happened and the TV screen had graphically impressive battles. Why the hell did they missed opportunity with Pokemon Snap. Why couldn't Starfox Zero play just like Starfox 64 with the game pad having the teammate chat, dialogue, the radar and/or the map.

The Wii U had potential to be like the Gamecube or the N64 with unique games, but it wasted it on gimmicks.
Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.