[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Huge Silent Hill fan, haven't played pic related What am
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 7
File: siren box.jpg (43 KB, 350x500) Image search: [Google]
siren box.jpg
43 KB, 350x500
Huge Silent Hill fan, haven't played pic related

What am I in for? Is it legitimately spooky?
>>
Gameplay's completely different and it's rock fucking solid. In terms of atmosphere it's far more oppressive. In order to know where the Shibito are you have to jack into their minds and look through their eyes. It's unnerving as fuck. And it's the most uncanny valley game you'll ever play.
>>
File: death stranding 2.jpg (89 KB, 840x1200) Image search: [Google]
death stranding 2.jpg
89 KB, 840x1200
>>341597124
Should I play the first, second, Blood Curse or all of them?

Also, in what order?
>>
I would say it's quite spooky. It loses some of it's atmosphere due to the voice-acting but it's one of the spookiest horror games I've played.
It is absolutely pants on head retardedly difficult though, you will need a guide to complete it.
The sequel is a much better game in almost every aspect.
The ps3 remake is not worth paying money for.
>>
Didn't this just release for emulation on PS4?
>>
>>341596865
It's too hard, making it unplayable
>>
>>341597290
What if I got it for free since I'm a PS+ member?

>>341597315
Yeah it just released on PS4 but I'm doing PCSX2

Does PS4 emulaiton handle upscaling better? I'm playing on a 4K monitor
>>
>>341597274
All of them, Blood Curse is essentially a remake of the original but in the same way yanks did shitty remakes of jap horror. It's still quite good though and far more accessible. But it's really a series you should play in order just to get every fucked up bit of imagery the series has to offer.
>>
>>341597274
Play the first and the second, in that order. Skip blood curse.
>>
Play the sequel. It's fixes pretty much everything wrong with the first one and it's a stand-alone story that doesn't require knowledge of the first one besides a nod in the secret ending.
>>
Don't bother with the film by the way. It has some slight visual nods to the games but overall it's fuck all like them. And it's a bit shit.
>>
Awesome thread, I was wondering about this too. How is the setting? I always appreciated Silent Hill since the town was as much of a character as the people/monsters.

Is this the same way? Also is there anything I should know about the backstory? Is it based on a real island? That's literally all I know is it takes place on an island. Should I just go in completely blind?
>>
>>341597274
I've only ever played Blood Curse and it was a pretty good game. The different character mechanic is kind of interesting but it doesn't come without consequences. Half of the characters are flat-out killing machines basically, so it's not very scary a lot of the time.
>>
It got released on PS4 a couple days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvOJnSfAtSA

Check out that fucking dub
>>
>>341597657
Second one is based on a real island yes, google gunkanjima for pictures. It's a pretty cool place with cool history.
>>
>>341596865

I fucking hated this game

The plot is hard to follow because it jumps all over the place, the "avoid enemies by looking through their eyes" mechanic is original but just turns the game into a hard and annoying stealth game

And dying is so fucking easy, at a certain point you get attacked by sniper zombies (yes, sniper zombies) and i swear they must have taken lesson from sniper Wolf because they are so good at their job they can hit you from so far that you can't even see them
>>
>>341597708
Wrong video, this is the one with the horrendous dub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGFSKYfFhCo
>>
Siren 2 is one of my favorite games, criminally underrated. It's one of the few series where I would recommend using a walkthrough though to save yourself lot of hairpulling.
>>
>>341597290
>>341597491
I've been playing number 1 myself so far I've clocked in around 14 hours but this game is like you say pants on head retardedly difficult.

I've been trying to do it blind though but like what the fuck were these guys thinking? It is beyond illogical some of the things you have to know to beat this game, I'd say it's above even adventure game tier.

Like the lighting the lanterns part f.eks or fucking knowing about a piece of brushwood in a tiny corner of the level that's practically invisible "somehow".

Are my gamefaqs sources a bunch of fags saying I'll enjoy this game blind?
>>
Here's a recent review of the game,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SQeHRSUkIY
>>
>anyone recommending Siren and not 2 or Blood Curse

Enjoy your British bitches.
>>
Always liked the series, but there's not much to talk about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVq9gxxYKbw
>>
Thanks guys, I'm going to completely isolate myself now. Will use a walkthrough if it's absolutely necessary.
>>
Forbidden Siren 2 is probably the better one out of the three games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWXiJRXkzX4
>>
Aren't these guys doing that shit Gravity Rush game now? What a shame
>>
>>341598015
>one of my favorite of all time on ps2
>constantly compares to silent hill

Not only can this cunt be objective, but why call it the best when all you raved about was the visuals and nothing more? Shit review from a shit Brit fuck you for linking this.
>>
>>341598815
You should know better than watching a video on youtube about video games in 2016
>>
It's frightening how fucking difficult it is. Expect a lot of trial and error.
>>
>>341599151
>Mission Objective 2: Make Akira Shimura remember you.

Uh.. yeah.. okay videogame, thanks.
>>
>>341598241
This is honestly one of those games I can't recommend playing blind at all. Some of the things you're supposed to do are so obtuse there is no way you will figure it out without spending tremendeous amounts of time and effort examining every square inch of the levels. Just look up a spoiler free walkthrough.
>>
>>341599842
I have finished all three games and I am not sure that's the way to do it, using your brain is fun.
>>
>>341600197
You need a walkthrough when you're stuck, otherwise it's more satisfying to play it blind
>>
Having not played it, what is the infamous problem with the difficulty? Is the game just obtuse in its puzzles, or difficult to control? I can stand needing to figure out some obscure shit but games that are buggy or hard to control really bother me.
>>
>>341600635
Both
>>
>>341599842
>>341600197
Not when it's retarded shit like PT that has no logic to it.

Is it like that?
>>
>>341600907
No.
>>
>>341600907
>>341601014
It actually kinda is, there's a sequence where you have to light 4 lanterns in a level where they're not spaced out in the correct order by how you progress through the level.
And there's no mention you have to light them in any order at all, meaning you have 24 times at most you have to replay the level to find out if you were even doing the puzzle right in the first place.
You have nothing to go on sometimes.

You should try playing it blind though it's only like 3$ on PSN. I've yet to complete it myself but the lore is really deep
>>
reccomend me some more PS2 horror games.

liked the silent hill games quite a bit for the atmosphere
>>
>>341601572
http://www.listal.com/list/ps2-horror
>>
>>341601572
Haunting Ground
>>
>>341601572
hummm, I dunno, Rule of Rose maybe?

You have to emulate it though, cause physical copies are like a hundred dollars. Also the combat is awful if that's a deal-breaker to you.
>>
>>341601572
Haunting ground is really really good, I'd rec that one with all my heart
>>341600907
here's a mirror of the original campaign site if the atmosphere piques you guys' interests
http://siren.lima-city.de/eu-site1/index.php
>>
>>341596865
>Chased by a zombie policeman
>Better read dat magazine on the passenger seat before trying to start the car.
Exploration felt so forced in that game.
>>
>>341596865
Another SH fan here,
played Sirens recently. Didn't like them.
neat idea, bad implementation. Game play is clunky, performance bad, and the TV series design just destroys immersion. Not to mention the Blood Curse's ending was literally "AMURICAH, FUCK YEARR!"
>>
File: 250px-Ghosthunter.jpg (22 KB, 250x354) Image search: [Google]
250px-Ghosthunter.jpg
22 KB, 250x354
>>341601572
Motherfucking Ghosthunter
>>
>>341596865
OP if you're still here you NEED to explore the campaign site if you want to get into the siren experience. It really invests you into the game.

http://siren.lima-city.de/eu-site1/index.php

Games where so fucking good when they did marketing like this
>>
>>341596865
This game is too unnerving for me and I played every other survival/horror. I have never managed to pass more than a few segments.
>>
>>341600754
Bummer.
How does it rate against Silent Hill on the spookometer? Never really been scared by horror games but I like getting the chills and the only games to succeed at frequently doing that so far have been Silent Hill 1-3 and Darkwood. Aside from that I can only get my horror rocks off with literature for whatever reason.
>>
>>341602281
I love Silent Hill more but Siren is way more scary and obtuse. It is more the kind of SH1 creepy than the depressing shit of SH2.
>>
>>341602281
The first two Siren games are the scariest games I've ever played with the exception of maybe White Day.
>>
>>341602281
Pretty fucking disturbing and spooky I'd say if you play it with a high volume and the lights out.
Not knowing what to do and having to constantly see through the eyes of the shibito around you can get really oppressing.
But when you're stuck mixed with this it can get frustrating, so you should play the levels just instinctually as you go to start off with, and once you're unable to progress and don't know what to do in any of the branching missions just CTRL F through a gamefaq for that specific mission
Which is really simple since all missions are named (character name : Time of day) and can be read in the timeline linker at all times during play
>>
>>341601572
Clock tower 3 was supposedly horror but it's actually about a magical girl. It was a fun, stupid twist.
>>
>>341601520
>>341601014
The puzzles do have some kind of logic to them but a lot of the time the logic only becomes obvious in hindsight. Sometimes though, there is no logic at all, at least not anything that I understood.
Usually the primary objectives in themselves are kinda easy, the secondary objectives are a bit more difficult but doable, but the real guide-requiring parts are trying to figure out how to meet the conditions to unlock the secondary objectives in other missions. Stuff like telling your companion to hide in a certain location when there is absolutely no need to tell her to hide there gameplay wise, and no clues to hint towards it.
>>
I have Blood Curse sitting on my shelf for almost a year now, but I am such a huge fucking pussy to play it. Please, motivate me.
>>
>>341596865
Good
>Made by Team Silent expats.
>Good music
>Nice gimmicks
>spooky as fuck
Negatives
>Sequel Jap and PAL only
>Blood Curse was fucking episodic

neutral
>Shit controls
It's a horror so can't complain
>>
>you have to climb ontop of a building, go into the exact right corner and hit an invisible bug after a few second of waiting.
This game.
>>
blood curse is 'free' this month with psplus, so those that have a PS3.
I feel like Sony might be gauging interest with this.
>>
>>341597657
The settings are more of a character than Silent Hill to be honest. Mainly because every single monster you come across is unique since they're all residents of the village. Looking at the timeline of each gameplay segment you can actually watch them progress. it's all very intricate.
>>
>>341603862
>>341603230
I'll forever be dying of curiosity as to what the point of this level of obtuseness was..

Does anyone know of any good developer interviews?
>>
>>341604401
In order to get Ms. Takatos scenario you have to vet to the end of the first akira chapter and then climb a guard tower and just wait for 5 minutes until you get an SOS call. However you cannot take to long reaching the tower or else you will miss the call.
>>
>>341597708
Holy fuck, had no idea. Cheers, anon. Downloading now. Haven't played it in years.
>>
Any good Let's Play of the first game? I lost my PS2 copy and never finished it, so I want to know what I did wrong.
>>
>>341604659
Well I guess that makes sense, but I meant what the fuck the developers were smoking.

I guess you could call this an extreme of developers doing exactly what they want and not q&a testing for shit.
Or I guess they really intended to make a puzzle game more than a horror game.
>>
>>341605073
3$ on PSN, play it you baby. Just use a gamefaq when you get stuck. Don't you want to feel some actual satisfaction rather than watch some fag play through this great game for you?
>>
>>341602156
Ghost Hunter isn't horror, it's just pure fucking awesome.
>>
>>341597124
>it's the most uncanny valley game you'll ever play.

Uh, shouldn't that be a bad thing?
>>
>>341606740
In the visuals I mean, they used video captured faces mapped onto the character models with a stuttery grainy as fuck look to everything. It's like playing a nightmare. Everything looks real but off, like you really shouldn't be there.
>>
>>341606946
Okay
>>
>>341597963
>you were supposed to get an item from the fucking well in order to help some puzzle later on
Fuck
>>
File: siren_ievan_polkka.gif (16 KB, 294x301) Image search: [Google]
siren_ievan_polkka.gif
16 KB, 294x301
>>341596865
Yep. The sequel isn't quite as scary though but it fixed a lot of the first game's problems. Blood Curse is the Homecoming of the series, don't bother with it.

>>341605073
Check out Egomaniac's Let's Play of it. His Siren 2 LP was deleted but you can find it here https://archive.org/details/LP_Siren_2
>>
>>341607808
>Blood Curse is the Homecoming of the series, don't bother with it.

I enjoyed Homecoming. Shattered Memories was far worse. As for Downpour, I refuse to believe that happened.
>>
File: pcsx2 2015-07-24 03-14-40-56.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
pcsx2 2015-07-24 03-14-40-56.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>dem noises made by the shibitos
>that breathing
>that music
>>
How does the second one emulate nowdays? Some years ago it was really buggy.
>>
>>341607990
It was my first SH and even back then I thought it was depressingly mediocre. The thing I liked most about it was the main character looked like Nathan Drake.
>>
>>341608539
The atmosphere was decent and SH'ish and I was actually hooked by the story. That's all I cared about, really. Combat was tolerable.
>>
>>341596865
It's MUCH spookier than Solent Hill.

Siren makes you feel hopeless, it's incredibly opressive.

It's the best borror game ever made.
>>
>>341596865

I played both orginals when they came out, and as well the remake of the first.

All 3 games are fucking amazing BUT you need to consider the following:

-Archaic Interface, if you are into newer games etc you will drop this game asap
-REALLY hard, and I mean really.

I don't remember which one it was 1 or 2, but you only get the full story when you play at hard. Some parts are nearly impossible without guide.

But if you manage to "get into" this series you will be blown away. This is the best take at japanese horror you get within the video game world.
It has also has some lovecraftian vibe (not cthulhu but innsmouth etc).

Someone actually translated the jap only maniac guides..influences are pretty nice and I think you will know what you will get when you see them...

I hope 2 comes to PS4 too. Those games are truly unique in every aspect.

Siren Maniacs: http://fftranslations.atspace.co.uk/s1/index.html

Siren 2 Maniacs:
http://fftranslations.atspace.co.uk/s2/index.html

Siren Blood Curse Maniacs:
http://fftranslations.atspace.co.uk/sbc/index.html

Siren Misc:
http://fftranslations.atspace.co.uk/smsc/index.html

Also influences for the first game:
http://fftranslations.atspace.co.uk/s1/s1insp.html
>>
>>341608927

Also forgot to mention:

This was one of the last bunch of REAL survival horror games.
>>
Also you really need to check out all the viral sites etc for this game. This blew me away when the game was released.
>>
>>341597816
Sweet fucking christ. The chance to re-release the game and they don't even provide language options.

They honestly expect people to pay money for this trash.
>>
Does the the US version of Siren 1 uses the original jap voices?
>>341608927
>those links
Thanks bruv.
>>
>>341609350
What's wrong with cockney Japs?
>>
>>341608927
2nd one is the one with difficulty options and multiple endings. But as far as I remember, in addition to playing on hard mode, you still needed to do a whole bunch of really obscure hidden objectives to unlock the good ending as well, such as chasing that one sonic fast shibito in the boat level and stealing his trophy.

I love this series but goddamn.
>>
File: Bob.jpg (39 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
Bob.jpg
39 KB, 620x372
>>341609072
Agreed and thanks for the links anon

It's nice to see a good thread on /v/ for once.

Now just imagine a David Lynch esque game made by the Siren team. Finale Cooper and all the people (beings) in the black lodge really remind me of the Shibito if not creepier.
>>
>>341609710

Yeah or the one where you have like a minute or something on Hard and you need to reach some turtle and catch it before it swims (very fast) away lol.
>>
>>341597816
Remember, TO ANYBODY THAT IS THINKING OF BUYING THIS:

SONY TOOK THE TIME TO PUT FUCKING TROPHIES INTO THIS GAME BUT NOT THE ORIGINAL AUDIO!

DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY MONEY FOR THIS!

THEY
DO
NOT
DESERVE
IT
>>
>>341610254

Strangely 2 had the orginal japanese voices in the german version as option.
And 2 wasn't released in the US, some strange things happened with the second title..
>>
>>341604213
>Blood Curse was fucking episodic
how was that a problem? dunno i just got the original game , fuck buying games digitally
i have interest problem is i got the game when it was 20€
>>
>>341610254
So how does Siren 2 emulate like the other guy was asking?
>>
>>341608927
I think it's 2, also you get a bonus mission where you play as a shibito by completing hard mode.
>>
>>341611134
It doesn't. It glitches out after the opening sequence because the PCSX2 developers are worthless.

You need a fucking Playstation 2 or a very old PS3 to play Forbidden Siren 2.
>>
>>341608927
Whoa, whoa, whoa, there. This page has a translation of the Fatal Frame and Catherine novels.

FUCKIN' GENIUS!!
>>
>>341610254
does it have trophies? can't find anything of it
dont want to connect ps3 to check
>>
>>341613274
All PS4 re-releases of PS2 games have trophies.

Because why spend all that money on anything beneficial to the end user?
>>
>>341612470
I wouldn't knock the people who develop these emulators for fucking free.

But I have a PS2 anon, and I just ordered Siren 2 from Amazon and I'm gonna go on pretending they're releasing the sequel and the true successor to MGS3 for PS2 this christmas now, thank you very much.
>>
File: 1465690745971.jpg (48 KB, 700x494) Image search: [Google]
1465690745971.jpg
48 KB, 700x494
>>341609710
>chasing that one sonic fast shibito in the boat level and stealing his trophy

That sounds hilarious.
>>
>>341610254
The localisation was great though. It's the exact opposite of the usual cheesy American VAs we get. Japanese voices would be better, yes. But it's quite comfy running around sightjacking Shibito with the cast of fucking Eastenders.
>>
>>341610254
>BUT NOT THE ORIGINAL AUDIO!

who the fuck cares
>>
>>341614982
It is pretty hilarious. If memory serves right it was a golden statue almost half as big as the player character for that stage (a japanese school girl) and you could use it as a makeshift bludgeoning weapon.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.