[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what exactly did you like about Old WoW? Was it waiting forever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: WoWScrnShot_050913_071414.jpg (444 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
WoWScrnShot_050913_071414.jpg
444 KB, 1440x900
So what exactly did you like about Old WoW?

Was it waiting forever to complete dungeons/dungeon quests?
Was it getting to level 40 for a 60% ground mount, that cost your entire life savings?
Maybe the way each zone reduced the exact same quest "i need 10.....BOAR.....X!" operated? Where each zone had its own boar percentage of appearing.
>>
ERP
>>
>>341474430
Being 14
>>
>>341474430
>So what exactly did you like about Old WoW?

It was a serious grind. It took time and dedication.

Now money can buy you anything in WoW. There's no sense of accomplishment. No one is impressed that you spent money. They all spent money too.
>>
>>341474430
Nothing.
Aside from the lack of endgame content, meh pvp and garrison shit, nu-WoW is literally the perfect mmo.
>>
>>341474430
Nothing, it was one of the first major mmos i played so it was magical, but there's no real feature that i miss. LFG did break up the community a bit, i miss spamming trade chat for dungeons/raids. the journey was half the fun.
>>
I liked the feeling of community, everyone knew who the big players were
>>
>>341474430
>So what exactly did you like about Old WoW?
Nothing, it was shit since the start if you played another MMORPG before. Like RO, Ultima or whatever.
>>
>>341475112
It was so shit it became the biggest MMO of all time while RO, Ultima all died
>>
>>341475107
>>341475107
>>341475107
>>
>>341475323
Yeah, mediocre things that pander to the bottom barrel majority are popular.

In other news, water is wet.
>>
>>341475323
Kek ultima is still booming
>>
File: Everything I say is right.png (329 KB, 749x500) Image search: [Google]
Everything I say is right.png
329 KB, 749x500
>>341474430
Let's go point by point

>Was it waiting forever to complete dungeons / dungeon quests

Yeah, actually. The dungeons felt like a challenge, and you needed to coordinate to a degree with your party members to complete it. Sure it took longer than LFD, but it felt like an achievement.

>Was it getting to level 40 for a 60% ground mount, that cost your entire life savings?

I never understood how people struggled to pay for it. I was about 14 in vanilla, so I was not very good. From 30-40 I almost exclusively ran the various wings of Scarlet Monastery and vendored literally every item I got. I didn't use the AH. I had more than enough gold to buy my mount.

>collect 10 boar assholes
Yeah okay you got me there, but current WoW is also super guilty of this. There were shit quests in vanilla, and really amazing quests as well (Warrior Island questline for axe). Modern WoW has lots of shit quests, and lots of amazing quests too.

Vanilla / Old WoW was fun and enjoyable to me because everything felt earned. It took time, but that time investment paid out.
>>
>>341475489
>booming
LMAO
>>
>>341474430
Sense of being part of world... of warcraft...
>>
>>341474430
Weeklong Alterac Valley matches.
>>
>>341475323
>lowest common denominator trash is popular
Damn you're a genius
>>
>>341474430
I miss that you were just some soldier/mercenary/wanderer/solo

I like to suck blizzard cock and play all their games and always thought more positively on their decisions with the changes to the game, I still thought some were negative but not outweighing most of their decisions.

But the new expansion has you being some hero, savior of the world, the ONE. I've never ever liked that.
>>
>>341474885
Honestly, vanilla wow helped me quit wow. Grinding to 52 burnt me the fuck out. Wasn't even fun so much as it was extremely boring and repetitive. Grinding leveled you way faster than traveling zone to zone to quest or dungeoning. Only somewhat fun part was the world pvp, but that got boring too after a while. Vanilla wow to me was like one of those clicker games for iphone, such as adventure capitalist. It's brainless entertainment. No wonder wow players are so fucking braindead. Their grindy ass game turns them into zombies.
>>
>>341475529
>I never understood how people struggled to pay for it. I was about 14 in vanilla, so I was not very good. From 30-40 I almost exclusively ran the various wings of Scarlet Monastery and vendored literally every item I got. I didn't use the AH. I had more than enough gold to buy my mount.

My only problem with that getting to level 40 the first time and getting your mount felt like an accomplishment. Getting your alts to 40 felt like an incredible boring grind. First time leveling in WoW was great, the second time around not so great.
>>
File: 1465566621414.jpg (35 KB, 500x640) Image search: [Google]
1465566621414.jpg
35 KB, 500x640
>>341475641
Explain how vanilla wow was aimed at the lowest common denominator
>>
>>341475817
Yeah but is that any different now? Alts are always a chore. Now it's just a faster chore, but with no eventual emotional payout.

Just my opinion, but I'd rather work really hard and take time for a very satisfying reward than spend half that time doing a hollow chore.
>>
>>341476025
Combat was extremely oversimplified. Much less utility and complications than modern wow. Pretty obvious which spell to cast at which time, where as in modern wow, you have to have a deep understanding of all the classes, and therefore a very high skill cap exists.
>>
>>341475529
>Yeah, actually. The dungeons felt like a challenge
>Vanilla / Old WoW was fun and enjoyable to me because everything felt earned. It took time, but that time investment paid out.
I'm playing vanilla WoW for the first time and none of these dungeons are even on the same level as basic exp parties in FFXI in terms of resource management, aggro management, party composition, strategy, etc. Its just "Pull, don't get links, wail on it for ~10 seconds, repeat" there's so little nuance to the combat and teamwork comparatively, and I feel like I'm more or less just being handed gear.
>>
>>341475682

>I miss that you were just some soldier/mercenary/wanderer/solo

This for me. I loved the basic RPG style of it compared to current wow. I loved the slower leveling pace, where finding a good green at level 20 was exciting, finishing a quest took some time and was interesting, there wasn't super detailed instructions or addons to help point you directly to your destination, you had to figure it out on your own.

I remember finding my first world epic was just absolutely amazing feeling. I remember I didn't even touch a dungeon until level 30ish and it blew my mind.

Meeting random strangers out doing their quests felt intimate. since no one was in a rush people took time to talk, cooperate, or compete.

I doubt we'll have such an amazing experience again until a SAO like MMO becomes reality through VR.
>>
>>341474430
Playing with actual friends
>>
>>341474430
World bosses where not only I had to compete with other guilds but the enemy faction as well.

I also liked logging in and always having something to do be it: the old pvp grind, world pvp in blackrock mountain, grinding silithus rep, joining Scholo and Diremaul groups, gathering consumables in Felwood(?) and the pvp that would occur doing so, Winterspring(?) rep for that stupid tiger mount, joining week-long alterac valley pushes, or simply levelling a new character that would be an ordeal that would require at least two months to do if you were active on your main character.

While I enjoyed that they made specializations more defined in TBC onwards, I really did enjoy Druid the most while in Vanilla where not only did I have to use Moonfire and Insect Swarm in duels, but I'd use catform when fully healed and I'd use bearform equally when pushed into a defensive situation. Overall, I loved the flexibility and the necessity to use everything at your disposal in order to be successful

I still miss it but my friends and I have moved on
>>
>>341476316
So you decided to compare it to a modern game instead of it's competitors at the time.

Idiot
>>
>>341476374
Are you playing vanilla WoW as in a legacy server, or old content in current WoW?

I've never played FF so I don't know how they compare. I was comparing old and current WoW to one another in my post.
>>
>>341475682
>But the new expansion has you being some hero, savior of the world, the ONE
Is going to be even more retarded in Legion.
>dude I'm so cool, being the class leader and owning the ashbringer
>wait, what? I'm the class leader and the owner of the ashbringer!
>>
File: 1439969157924.png (250 KB, 534x475) Image search: [Google]
1439969157924.png
250 KB, 534x475
>>341474430
Being young and playing an MMO with my friends, you insufferable child.

WoW was, no doubt, the first game of its kind many people here played. Mechanically, it had its faults, but it was special all the same, made even more so by nostalgia. I genuinely pity those who were never able to experience WoW in its heyday, rushing home after school to quest with friends.
>>
>gear progression creeped forward by single digit ilvls, so that there weren't massive fuckhuge gaps between tiers, and previous gear continued to maintain relevancy several tiers forward
>stats mattered, the type of gear and the stats on that gear mattered (hit rating, haste,defence, block, etc)
>getting a mount was something to actually brag about - it was expensive, took time to save for, and when you had it, it was worth every gold piece
>class quests helped you learn about your class, as well as earn nice class-specific gear, as well as send you off to discover new locations
>leveling took time, and there was plenty to keep you busy during thatt ime, because Blizzard had a "it's about the journey, not the destination" mentality when creating vanilla WoW
>dungeons were lengthy and had a steady level creep, meaning you could return for 6-7 levels and continue finding useful gear (that continued being useful because good gear was rare, and that good gear remained useful for a while)
>PvP was fun, basic, and involved. You had to talk to NPCs to queue for BGs, which meant you could duel and meet people in the BG rooms and SOCIALLY INTERACT
>raiding had a steady ilvl creep, which meant you generally needed to equip enough people with that raid's gear to continue progressing, rather than blow through the entire content in a single night, and do it again 4 more times across 4 different difficulties, and burn the fuck out
>players forced to socialize in order to group for BGs, raids, dungeons, quests, trade, anything
>>
>>341475683

>World of Warcraft
>Grindy game

Nigga you are dumb as fuck
>>
>>341476874
I dislike that addition.

What I enjoy is how weapons work. Instead of grinding a raid boss for weeks you have to complete an objective (such as kill a specific raid boss) and your weapon can get upgraded.

I remember back in wrath I ran naxx for 3 months straight before my goddamn epic dropped so I can replace my dungeon blue.
>>
File: 1465752632448.jpg (168 KB, 639x453) Image search: [Google]
1465752632448.jpg
168 KB, 639x453
>>341475546
>>
>>341477080
for sure world of warcraft is grindy
>>
>>341476710
I didn't read the reply chain. I just skimmed and assumed your post was about the topic of the OP.
>>
It was the fact that people actually talked. Do you know how rare it is to find others socializing in an MMO now?
>>
File: icon.png (178 KB, 564x333) Image search: [Google]
icon.png
178 KB, 564x333
>very strong sense of community even on high-pop servers
big name guilds were respected and a lot helped out the newer players for both pve and pvp, major cities were populated with all players because there wasn't a high level neutral city for them to hide in
>everything felt like an accomplishment
cc was necessary, couldn't faceroll dungeons, health and mana regenerated slowly so food was needed and you had to think about your pulls, mounts felt well earned because gold could not be bought with a token, professions were fun to do and level up, taking you around the entire world, not just a garrison and not just endgame zones (looking at you legion)

>the lore has turned absolute shit after they ran out of WCIII stuff to go off of
they honestly need to hire new writers because wod literally made no sense with grommash saying "draenor is free!" at the end despite him causing genocide

oh and back then i still had hopes for an emerald dream expansion, not anymore though since they confirmed it isnt happening and we just get a single zone as a replacement

>what was better about old wow?
pic related (save a few things like the new questing being good and graphical updates)
>>
It was fun because it was new. Why people fail to understand this and instead claim that Vanilla was mechanically better is plain retarded.
The reason you don't like WoW anymore has nothing to do with the gameplay but rather that you've played the game for almost 15 years.
>>
>>341474430
nothing, it was casual as fuck compared to everquest and ultima online
>>
File: 1395579861784.png (74 KB, 662x635) Image search: [Google]
1395579861784.png
74 KB, 662x635
I liked old WoW as a whole for reasons I find hard to categorize, it just meshed together well; I still like modern WoW, but I feel it has less coherency than Vanilla and even BC still had. I'd say mechanics have improved over the years, but the design ideas behind them have become disjointed.

I plan on getting Legion, but it seems even more so that each aspect of the game will become completely segmented off from each other with no cohesion between them.
>>
File: Tua3u0L.png (165 KB, 777x656) Image search: [Google]
Tua3u0L.png
165 KB, 777x656
>>341477080
>>
>>341477080

It took me 2 1/2 months to go from 1-60, playing every day after school and all weekend at friends houses.

It was grindy. But it wasn't without shit to do between those 60 levels, unlike the game now. Everything is saved for fucking end game, and leveling is treated as an inconvenience.
>>
I liked the fact that I didn't have to do the same raid 4 times to see the real version of it
>>
File: 137739.png (183 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
137739.png
183 KB, 400x400
Not having leveled 15 characters.

Class quests.

Roleplaying a land as popular and comfortable as WoW.

Not knowing anything about MMOs.

Getting carried after finding a group for doing my first dungeon.
>>
>>341474430
>341474430
We were young and the WoW community was once a thriving hive of fan content and deep(ish) communities on servers. I know even during Wrath (before the matchmaking system) it got to a point where after a certain period of time PUGing heroics, you built up a network of friends to run stuff with. Everyone has all kinds of reasons, but they always seem to boil down to something involving the community.

That network eventually led you into a guild, which led to guild raids, which fed a lot of life into things.

Matchmaking broke the community. It took awhile, but the server's heroic and raid pugging networks were the backbone of the server communities.

With the backbone gone, server communities eroded. Regular Dungeons and Heroics were no longer leading leveling players and fresh 80's into the community at large. They did the opposite. Everything fell apart on the social side. That, aided with Activision slowly bleeding the life from Blizzard, killed the game. For a lot of people.

WoW is still going, but that spark is gone. It's down to embers. WoW is still hot, but not nearly as glorious as the raging bonfire it once was.
>>
File: 1460920951290.jpg (73 KB, 607x583) Image search: [Google]
1460920951290.jpg
73 KB, 607x583
>>341477574
This is true aswell

The whole LFR, normal, heroic, mythic thing is so fucking stupid
>>
I just wondered basically if you were 20+ during 2004-2009 did it feel like a dream adventure and feel good basically?

Because i was like 14-18.
>>
>>341476718
Real vanilla on a private server.

Everything almost feels like one of those cheap Korean knock-off MMOs by comparison, but I guess WoW is what they were ripping off in the first place. Everything is very simplistic and all the quests I've done so far have just been killing stuff or collecting some items obtained by killing stuff with a paragraph of context. The dungeons were fun enough but again felt like a bog-standard exp party in FFXI without the same level of teamwork. PVP is where I'm sure I'll have a completely new experience though FFXI had dick for PVP beyond ballista that no one bothered with past 2005.
>>
>>341477763
No. Nothing is fun anymore once you reach the age of 20.
>>
>>341477238
>cc was necessary, couldn't faceroll dungeons
At the start of every expansion people had to be careful. Over time people get better gear and the dungeons become faceroll.

>health and mana regenerated slowly so food was needed and you had to think about your pulls
Start of every expansion was like this. I do agree however they become mindless faceroll after sometime.

>mounts felt well earned because gold could not be bought with a token
Tokens didn't ruin mounts. Tokens did more good than bad. Blizzfaggots ruined mounts long before tokens.

>professions were fun to do and level up
I agree that garrisons ruined professions. But professions were never fun to do.

On a side note. I like how Blizzard has added a form of attunement back. Added a raid that cannot be done in LFR, you have to form your own group for it and it is permanently mythic mode.
>>
>>341475112
>Like RO, Ultima or whatever.
You're way to old to be here, grandpa.

Go watch the price is right.
>>
>>341477371
>Everything is saved for fucking end game, and leveling is treated as an inconvenience
Dude, if leveling were fun the max level boost won't sell.
>>
Doing 40 man raids and being in a clique of ~6 people who constantly had a great time in binds on Vent.

My guild was such a huge collection of different characters (not just in-game), it's a miracle we accomplished anything over all the bickering. Proud to say I was present for the only pre-BC Kel'thuzad kill on my server.

The guild broke up shortly after due to the aforementioned drama and the fact that 40 man raids were gonna be gone but a couple of my buddies stuck together and we continued having a blast in raids until mid-late WotLK.

I'd go back in a heartbeat.

PS: There are very few people that genuinely want to play pre-BC WoW in it's original state. It's just not the same without that group of friends you discovered back in the day.
>>
It's not that old WoW was amazing. I mean, at the time of its release, it was the best MMO released ever. Blizzard took all the good parts of previous games and mixed them together and said "what if we made the UI and gameplay not shit?" and wow it worked. The problem is that new WoW is barely an MMO, and I appreciate the design principles behind old WoW more than I appreciate new WoW.

Old WoW:
>you are a person moving through this world, nobody special in particular, your day to day existence is fairly mundane
>you can touch legends but they only interact with you peripherally and when they do it's a huge deal
>the world exists as a backdrop for your adventures and is functionally relevant

New WoW:
>you are the hero of a single player game that happens to have a million other people playing it at the same time
>the world exists as a leveling hallway and you immediately discard it as soon as you hit max level
>cities are just game lobbies that you sit in while you wait for your session to start
>>
>>341477869
This is true.

At this age, saving the world is more fun.
>>
File: 1395432391561.jpg (23 KB, 229x287) Image search: [Google]
1395432391561.jpg
23 KB, 229x287
>>341477574
While the difficulty system they have is pants on head retarded, I always think this complaint is just as stupid; no one raids the place 4 times

LFR raiders just touch LFR, Mythic raiders only touch heroic a few times for filling gear slots and then it's entirely Mythic progression

And literally no one cares about anyone in the middle, and no one ever did before when talking about guilds who only had 4 bosses down in a raid, or were raiding MC during Naxx/Kara during BT/Naxx during ICC.
>>
>>341474430
Making new friends, not everyone was driven by the instinct of winning and gaining so there was fun even in losing despite the fact that the game was very challenging and it forced you into either cooperating (Remember Arathi elite quests?).

Every class was unique, yes we all acknowledge hybrid were shit but each one had its own gimmicks, Bubble+HS for example was one of the most infamous things about Paladins.
>>
>>341475071
>aside from anything good wow is the best
Is this bait?
>>
>>341475817
>First time leveling in WoW was great, the second time around not so grea

That's why I liked the idea of heirloom gear with decent stats and bonus XP. Basically the first wave of heirloom stuff in 3.0. It, uh, got a little out of hand, from what I'm told.
>>
>>341474430
>tfw I played so much vanilla that I recognize every piece of equipment in that image
>>
>old wow
>run around the world as a dipshit newbie
>stumble across stuff that was designed specifically to inspire intrigue and goad you into exploring it
>happen to find other dipshits who also explore stuff
>work with said dipshits as a sort of dipshit tribe, fumbling around an intricate world to accomplish things and happen upon rewards

So long as you enable spontaneously amusing things like this you always have a fresh game

Let's compare

>new wow
>every single zone is designed linearly thanks to cataclysm; pop-ups telling you constantly where to go, what to do, what's over there and whether or not you should bother exploring it
>people dont talk or explore because there is no need to, half are robots designed to get the boring stuff out of the way so they can reach "end game"
>end game is a predetermined element that you know about from level 1 because everyone in-game will tell you about it, every quest mentions it and every ancillary resource is focused on it
>end game isnt spontaneous, intriguing or even social half the time; usually its doing the same dailies, grinding stuff or going to raids you can learn everything about via an in-game guide
>if you try to explore or do weird stuff at all the community despises you because you're 0.0001% less efficient than max

The game isn't an MMORPG anymore, its a crappy themepark with an orc paintjob
>>
>>341474430

Scope.

MMOs need size above all. Even today where he have guides to do everything, if you want to see all the content (at a reasonable pace, not rushing through) from Vanilla, and when you are finished go to BC, you are expected to take about 2 YEARS to do so.

WoD had around 2 weeks of content, but locked behind the garrison RNG missions so it last several months
>>
vanilla wow = people running around doing shit actual exploration

nu-wow = hop around main city on Mount, shit posting in trade chat while waiting for queues or raiding
>>
>>341474430
Why do you try to start a vanilla thread with a WoD image? Fucking retarded blizzcuck. Hang yourself.
>>
File: 1465296966336.jpg (210 KB, 1000x1105) Image search: [Google]
1465296966336.jpg
210 KB, 1000x1105
I had a theory what we do is part of the world and having fun is good addition to the party, obviously. Kids are professionals at finding fun in horse shit.
But as you get older you need some savory(I don't mean stellaris bullshit) and high customization to work fun from a game.

Kids enjoy limitations, its like wanking of to feet or some shit.
>>
>>341474727
This.
>>
>>341478551
>implying pre-group/raidfinder trade chat wasn't maximum shitposting from bored people who literally never left the main cities other than when they were banned
>>
what are some good mmos that put emphasis on the right thing - leveling?
>>
File: 1454060410530.jpg (64 KB, 659x535) Image search: [Google]
1454060410530.jpg
64 KB, 659x535
The community, I miss going on vent talking with my guildmates while shitting on people in pvp. I miss knowing who was who on the server, I miss seeing that guy with sulfuras and running the opposite direction.

The pvp was unbalanced, but it was fun, there was no resilience, there was no pocket healer meta. It was a good time.
>>
>>341478773
Games don't exist anymore.
>>
>>341478864
>The pvp was unbalanced

Wrong.
>>
>>341474430
Community. I like searching groups and traveling to dungeons. It made it feel more important. Now i just sit in Stormwind, hit search, do dungeon and thats it.
>>
>>341476710
You think WoW was more complex than the older games like UO or EQ?
WoW's entire success was built on accessibility and simplicity, and there's nothing wrong with that.
(but I still wish UO was the MMORPG that inspired clones and not EQ)
>>
>>341478597
Hey, fuck you, feet are awesome.
>>
File: 1459635328812.jpg (126 KB, 911x615) Image search: [Google]
1459635328812.jpg
126 KB, 911x615
>>341479042
>when the shaman one hits you
>>
>>341477084
yes, but how and why does that even work?
Kill a boss and pry a sword from his cold dead hands - seems fine, but kill a boss and your sword just got better for a reason - why?
>>
>>341479225
It was balanced around team play. If you had a few buffs a shaman wasn't going to 1 shot you unless you had awful gear and he double / triple windury cits.
>>
There was a greater sense of community on every server. LFG really did fracture this community and made queueing with people for dungeons a transient and forgettable experience. Especially when you consider how much easier dungeons became. I still remember to this day the 8-hour full BRD run that me and my high school friends did back in the day and how amazing it felt to overcome it. We tried redoing it on Nostralius to see if it really was just nostalgia goggles and while I'm sure nostalgia played into how great we perceived it to be, we all still had an amazing time chipping away at it.

Believe it or not, running between zones and having to slowly and ploddingly go between quests actually gave me a sense of immersion that nu-wow can't match. Playing on Nostralius a few months ago really reminded me of how great the music and atmosphere was in places like The Barrens and STV.

Dungeons being slightly more difficult and time consuming promoted community and player interaction. You actually had to talk to the people in your group and coordinate things. And when you get people talking, even if only a little bit to explain a boss or encounter, eventually they get to talking even more and what was a group full of randos at the start of the run could end the run as being friends.

By that same token, your reputation on your server mattered. If you ninja-looted or were a total scumbag, word about you got around and you would eventually be blacklisted from groups, guild and battleground raids. Again, community actually mattered.

40-man raiding for all its faults, actually had a true feeling of enormity. Raids today by comparison don't have the same 'epic' quality that those extra 15 people brought. I know this point probably seems petty but again, my time on Nostralius really reminded me of this.
>>
>>341478752
guessing you started playing during wrath
>>
Being a complete noob. The bigger a noob you are the funner the game is
>>
File: 1328476811041.gif (39 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
1328476811041.gif
39 KB, 100x100
>>341474430
>blurs out name
why do people do this?
we can still see it behind the item description, LEGENDARY 4CHAN HACKER INC
>>
>play my rogue after a 4 year absence
>nerfed into a utility bitch who only exists to stun and bleed things so the real classes can kill them easier
>only saving grace is an infinite sprint ability that costs nothing and removes slows
>forces classes fighting me to actually use abilities, rather than continuously hit me with some slow built into their pvp macro
>blizzard naturally announces they will be removing this ability because "its over-powered"
>demon hunters can roll/glide across the entire span of warsong gulch with two abilities
>everyone else still has the ability to run around at a million miles per hour
>everyone else still has their fifteen slows, stuns and roots they can use any time they want
>everyone has big fat self-heals and shields and other bullshit that negates rogue ambushes
>everyone wonders why nobody mains rogues
>>
>>341474430
MMOs used to be about working hard to accomplish something. It took months to reach the level cap when FFXI was launched in NA. You had to work with others to succeed, very little could be done on your own.

MMOs now are just themeparks. No struggle, no attachment and barely any need to team up with others.
>>
>>341479778
No I played on a real server instead of your shitty no-name realm; Illidan's trade chat was always garbage
>>
>>341474430
I liked being 16 and not having responsibilities in my life so I could instead assume a bunch of responsibilites in a video game.
>>
MIldly unrelated, but how dead is WoW right now?

I stopped playing a year ago, and the server I was in was almost devoid of people, and those who were around were too busy discussing politics or spouting anal memes on trade. I tried joining 3 different guilds but they all dismantled due to people leaving the game.
>>
The un-professionalism. I can't enjoy this shit anymore with the gearscore- and dps-race bullshit, how you have to know all the tactics before a boss fight and the general mindset that you're doing it wrong if something isn't done in the most efficient way.

Also the way how abilities interacted in PvP and how you had to keep track of the cooldowns of an enemy and had to manage your own and all that.
Literally no other MMO has ever gotten that right.
>>
>>341476718
I appreciate how fucking stupid you are to even ask that question even if nobody else does
>>
Same way it's always been; if you're not on a bigger name server like Illidan, Sargeras or Tichondrius, you're dooming yourself to a barren landscape of no one else.
>>
>>341477869
Can confirm
>>
>>341480520
for>>341480208
>>
>>341480208

It's not a good time to subscribe.

>end of expansion, pop at an all time low
>blizzard fumbled faction balance (again) so alliance dominates pvp and pve
>if you dont have the maximum gearscore you're a scrub in the eyes of everyone
>guilds arent recruiting because guilds barely exist anymore, so no gear/raids/rated pvp for you
>game chock full of people selling carries and bots because they know its the only way to get on the level as everyone else this patch
>low population servers arent low, they're empty

Ironic this is the state of the game during the release of the movie, when you'd expect everyone will try the game out.
>>
>>341479195
Haven't played UO, so just wondering
Why is everyone comparing WoW to UO? How is it more complex and all?
Is WoW to our teen years the same as EQ/UO has been to yours, that's why you shit on WoW and praise UO?
>>
>>341474430

Exactly all of those shitty, annoying and bad things.

Because suffering and enduring those shitty things together with the population of my server, together with my guild, and together with the friends I've made in the world along the way - was absolutely worth it.

With no suffering to share there is no collective joy gained.
Its just million strong line of babies constantly getting what they want on a conveyor belt.
>>
>>341477239

See, that just isn't true though. I used to think this argument had some validity even though I quit pretty much for good in WotlK. But ever since I got a taste of the good old days again on Nostralius I know now that it wasn't Nostalgia goggles, I legitimately loved how the game was back then compared to the changes made in Cataclysm onwards.
>>
For me it was about the class-specific quests/epics/grinds on top of the already lofty quests you could find. Lots of people complained about it, but I always loved when I'd get some scrub ass level 20-30 quest that would randomly require you to pop over to the other side of the world, run through some high level areas, and then find some random NPC for a story bit. I was a warlock and it felt great going to Felwood and obtaining my infernal, doing the dungeon events for the mount/epic mount, getting the curse of doom spell.

Now people just see the areas between 1 and max level as a barrier. God damn did it feel good to traverse the world, hoping to prove yourself worthy of the next class of advanced spells, access to new mounts, or unique abilities hidden behind trials. It was always such a special feeling to follow a class quest and end up in a hidden area with elite mobs requiring a group or some task which you were nowhere near the appropriate level to handle.
>>
File: 1461543991976.jpg (206 KB, 850x734) Image search: [Google]
1461543991976.jpg
206 KB, 850x734
Friendly reminder that if you prefer modern WoW over Vanilla/BC WoW, you are literally retarded.
>>
>>341479540
>>341479042

as someone who actually got to rank 14 on nost, fuck off
>>
Reminder that nostfags are cancer.
>>
>>341481560

So all new things are fun?

While you wrestle with that, try and use your powers of nostalgia to make THAT visit to the dentist appear a fun experience to you with no downsides.
>>
>>341481347
I think that's part of it, but I don't think I shit on WoW in my post- I outright said there was nothing wrong with its simplicity.
I praise UO because it was a sandbox, player-driven game with skills instead of levels. I could list reasons why I loved UO but I'd sound like a rambling old man- more so than I already am as someone in their 30's on /v/.
I played classic and BC WoW and had a pretty good time, but it was completely different from UO which felt more like a virtual world to me.
>>
File: 0ce.png (105 KB, 430x403) Image search: [Google]
0ce.png
105 KB, 430x403
>>341474430

The balanced work to reward ratio, the large scale PvP, the interesting dungeons, and the fact that you actually had incentive to communicate with people and make friends.

Neo-WoW babies will never understand, and this thread is proof.
>>
>>341481756
I was grand marshal in vanilla.
>>
>>341477968
Don't think maybe you could rediscover similar friendships if a private server re-opened of pre-BC? I made some pretty good friends on nost

Honestly one part I miss the most if the sense of community regarding realms.

Wasn't a big realm I was on, but I remember some guy who was using addons to undercut everyone by 1c, and I remember people talking about it from the morning to the evening for a week on end, that guy got black listed and known by everyone very quickly
>>
>>341481583
I do not miss the grind. I miss the friends I made.

Friends and allies made the game worthwhile. As a priest, I needed the help of other players to get through content.
>>
Post your old realm.

Aerie Peak EU, haven't played on it since cata, nor have I met anyone who did play on it :(

It's wasteland now....
>>
>>341479457
You pry a gem that upgrades your weapon.

But you seem to be adding lore for some reason. Why would any boss drop all these weapons/trinkets/rings?
>>
>>341482181

objectively easier than it was to do on nost

classes are horribly unbalanced, even with teamplay taken into account alliance had a blatant advantage in all team fights purely because of how good paladins are compared to shamans
>>
>>341482376
Fenris. Quit for a while at the start of pandaria because my guild dismantled. Then tried it again at the end of Pandaria and a year of draenor.Quit over a year ago.

I no longer get pangs of wanting to play the game. It kind of saddens me to think there is nothing worth returning to.
>>
>>341474430
I liked that the game strongly encouraged the people playing it to group up together for just about everything, that it was able to tell pretty good stories through quests that focused on the world rather than through cinematics and making your character the #1 most important dude in the world, that the open world had a good amount of danger and difficulty to it so that I couldn't just steamroll my way through the game pulling as many mobs as I wanted at any given time, and that endgame had enough of a mix of grind, challenge, and barriers to entry that it wasn't insurmountable and gave me something to work towards over the course of the vanilla game's lifespan.
>>
File: 1462912604037.jpg (38 KB, 752x407) Image search: [Google]
1462912604037.jpg
38 KB, 752x407
>>341482295
>I do not miss the grind.
same brother, I'm glad that the """""grind"""" has been removed in modern WoW
>>
File: 24 KB.jpg (3 KB, 126x113) Image search: [Google]
24 KB.jpg
3 KB, 126x113
>>341474727
I thought it was this until I played on Nost. Then I realised it was all about the community. Most MMOs you don't actually need to interact to get anything. Vanilla was hard enough that you needed the other players to quest effectively, and time invested actually meant something. At least to the people you played with.
>>
>>341482483
First of all nost was laggy and buggy shit so anyone had a chance at steamrolling someone else. Second the low server population would make it easier than vanilla, as you had to compete with the people on your server for grand marshal. More competition = harder, and people back then played hardfucking core. Everyone who got grand marshal on my server had to play 24 hours a day for a full week, which meant having someone else play on your account when you needed to sleep.
>>
>>341482483
lol no

Shamans were horribly overpowered in vanilla. Blizzard had to nerf them over and over again until it was no longer required for 5 alliance to gang on a single shaman in order to kill him.

However, Shamans weren't as bad as fury warriors at the end of vanilla. A fully decked warrior could one shot absolutely anything.
>>
>>341482069

I'm sorry, the point you're trying to make is going over my head. I know I'm going against protocol here to simply ask you to explain your point, but... Could you explain your point?

Not trying to be a dick, I legitimately want to have this discussion with someone who believes that people like me are just blind, nostalgia drones; assuming that is indeed the point you're making.
>>
>>341482376

Eonar EU

resubbed every year since quitting at the end of TBC, but never got far enough to join a guild again
>>
>people say pvp in vanilla is shit
>bgs are fun and the main thing to do during pvp grind, AB is basically an RTS at high skill levels and you have to be a tactician in order to lead a group well
>wpvp is always engaging because of world bosses or contested leveling zones
>no cross-server play so rivalries and alliances spring up all over the place
>pvp gear is actually largely bis for PvE for a lot of classes until naxx

>meanwhile in tbc onwards:
>wpvp is completely dead
>no one does bgs and those that do just mindlessly zerg around
>it was way easier to get glad gear because it didnt require you rating to be very high and anyone could get there by simply either playing to whatever broken team comp was viable at the time or by utilizing a simple focus target macro
>resilience
>gear was useless in pve
>>
>>341483146

Actually I replied to the wrong post
>>341482069
was meant for
>>341477239

We are in agreement
>>
>>341474430
Community.
>>
>>341483063
Warriors could be killed by a lone mage, rogue, warlock and others. If you couldn't kill them alone, two players would easily suffice.
>>
>>341474430
>sense of accomplishment

This right here. Is the reason I liked old WoW. Obtaining an epic or even a rare item, reaching level cap, completing a raid or dungeon, felt like an accomplishment.

And you can say whatever the fuck you want about e-peen and what not. But having people compliment you and feeling badass because you were wearing some high end gear, or had the headmaster's staff from scholo felt good.

Now everyone can just buy all of that shit. Either that or it's easy as fuck to get.
>>
>>341477943
I think you just explained exactly why microtransactions are cancer in any game, anon. Congrats.
>>
>>341475096
>>341475107
>>341475576
>>341476512
>>341477212
>>341477634

ALL OF THIS

If they ever do legacy servers, they can literally keep all of the current content, but get rid of the fucking LFR, LFD, cross realm pve shit, and make people socialize.

It was glorious when everyone on a server knew everyone. This created a social network of friendship, drama, laughter, anger, and overall lols in trade chat.

>Keep all dungeons, raids, classes, mechanics, talents, etc.
>Remove LFR, LFD
>Remove cross realm pve entirely
>Make flying mounts have a 15 minute cooldown on pvp realms. Get top where you're going but when you dismount, you're vulnerable for 15 minutes. Not a perfect solution, but a start to a compromise for the lack of world pvp these days. Keep it pvp server only cuz pve wouldnt like that and you're only flagged by choice there anyway
>Make everyone start from 1 and remove heirlooms

That's the ideal legacy server. We don't need to rewind the damn clock all the way back to vanilla because the current content can be fun but I swear the life that was sucked out of WoW was the social aspect.
>>
>>341483063

spoken like someone who never actually had to go against another full prem in bis gear in AB

paladins win games purely because of their mana efficiency and buffs
>>
>>341483389

Oh, I see. Because I was seriously fucking confused.

Cool.
>>
>>341482997

>First of all nost was laggy and buggy shit so anyone had a chance at steamrolling someone else. Second the low server population would make it easier than vanilla,

>someone who never played nost speaking as though he has any idea of what he is talking about
>>
>>341482992
This.
I think i did not talk to random stranger player since... WotLK?
On Nostalrius i had to gather party to complete 5lev quests. I again make some friends.

Also leveling was fun. Since dungeon finder i did not complete any 15-99 quest on retail.
On Nost i did not even cap lev, yet i had fun that i thought i would not have anymore
>>
>>341483063

warriors have two ways to engage certain classes in vanilla

1. hope you just get a lucky sword proc/hoj proc with many crits and one shot the frost mage

2. get kited and die regardless of consumables, engineering trinkets or otherwise
>>
>>341483515
I don't understand this. Does color really affect people's sense of accomplishment?

Getting mythic gear (whatever ilvl they are now, I've since quit) is still exclusive to those top raiders. It is the highest of end gear and it is certainly not easy to get.

You can buy it, if you bother to grind the gold to get into these runs, but certainly not easy to do a mythic raid unless you're in a good group.

Does blizzard need to color code gear now so people feel like they accomplished something? So mythic gear is now Black instead of having an ilvl XXX on it?
>>
>>341483741
I played nost fuckhead. Many of the best quests were bugged to the point you couldn't complete them and even after having suffered through that to level 60 I couldn't stunlock because of the lag and the bugged coding. Stuns and disables would just randomly end for no reason.
>>
>>341474430
>each class had an extended class specific quest
>they were tough/time-consuming but ultimately worth it
my favorites being the shaman quests for totems because it felt like an actual RPG instead of just leveling up and receiving the skill through a menu.

second favorite was the rogue quest because I liked sneaking around, picking locks and such. plus ravenholdt.

>quests had meaning. there was a point to a town rather than being created as a quest hub
Most quests now are cookie cutter designs somehow worse than original WoW. It's painful that you get taken on this linear trip through townX->townY->townZ, don't remember anyone's name, none of the stories but you collected those bear asses!

in vanilla the quests werent as collective. they forced you to go out to different places for reasons other than "this is the 'go to the next town' quest", e.g. shaman totem quests.

>world pvp did its job
>pvp was fun
I'm a pvper and always played on a PvP server. In vanilla there was tons of shit to do in ALL of the World of Warcraft that running into motherfuckers was common place and to be expected. PvP was fun because items were fun then. Nifty stopwatch, the luffa from searing gorge, etc, etc. When TBC came out and "muh esports" became big pvp lost personality.

>there was a community
for all of the above reasons (and more) there was a community. i don't remember ever being alone in a zone unless I was on at like 2am. it was bustling despite apparently being 50% of the population of WotLK which made many zones feel barren by introducing bad features.
>>
>>341482997
>Second the low server population would make it easier than vanilla
nigga nostalrius had 150k active players and 15k concurrent players during peak. that's ~6x more populated than the most populated servers during retail vanilla.
>>
>>341484165
There were few class quest in WoW, I do agree having them were great quest and made you feel part of it.

But questing back then was horrible and has barely improved the formula.

The new expansion has class quest now, but at max level.
>>
>>341484016
people like to be rewarded for that hard work. you can blame blizzard themselves for instilling the "colors" you blame about.

used to be your "mythic raiders" were rewarded with purples and sometimes (to the best) orange equipment.

after vanilla purples were given to anyone who bothered to level up and no other tier was introduced.
>>
>>341484016
>Does color really affect people's sense of accomplishment?
>mythic gear

Did you even play Vanilla WoW? I'm guessing no. High end gear in vanilla wasn't just a recolor of shitty low end gear, which is exactly what Mythic gear is.
>>
>>341474430
I miss the weather effects and pen scratching of the quest dialogue. Other than that, I don't find retail WoW that bad.

WoD was terrible but only because it had no content at endgame. Leveling the first time was a blast.
>>
>>341484112

Nigga, I spent over 20 hours a day playing the game in my final weeks to rank 14 on nost and the only buggy shit that happened to me was charging through the ground occasionally.

The server also had like 5x the active number of PvPers contributing the ranks than even the most populated vanilla wow server. There were so many people participating that we calculated you could literally have 5-6 GMs any given week, compared to the 1 or 2 on any vanilla server, as per the percentiles would allow.
>>
>>341474430
The community. They implemented useful stuff like LFG or flying mounts but in the process you lost stuff like clans or world PvP (even if world PVP was utter shit but still it was often fun and gave life to the game).
>>
>>341482992

This. I was like you, I truly believed what all the people said regarding vanilla players and being 'blinded by nostalgia'.

Then I played Nostralius with a couple of guys from work and a few old friends and we were several months in and still going strong. We were even making some really good friends in our guild, really like-minded people who we could share a laugh with just like in the old days.

All the vent conversations while running around and questing, raiding until the wee hours of the night and giggling all the way, bonding with new guildies over attunement quests. It was all coming back to us in the most magical way.

Then Blizzard pulled the plug because they were feeling threatened.

Nu-wow just doesn't have that kind of experience, full stop. The game doesn't promote it.
>>
>>341474430
It was comfy as fuck.
>>
>>341484016

>I don't understand the concepts of pride and vanity

Then should we really need to get into discussing a game so deeply making use of these two as its driving force to get people to play?
>>
>>341477238

>professions were fun to do and level up
>leveling fishing in vanilla

fuck

that

shit
>>
>>341484417
But I did.

If you can't feel a sense of accomplishment from completing a raid and getting the best gear just because some faggot in lfr got a piece of armor that looks like yours, then I guess we have differing opinions.

It's universally known even to the WoW normies, lfr scrubs are what they are, lfr scrubs. Those who have the gear are still respected for completing that content.
>>
>>341484267
>>341484509
Okay well I still did it way before any of you turds did it, and you probably didn't even do it the right way. And if you really played that much for rank 14 then you should have realized at some point that the PvP didn't revolve around 1v1. It was group and team based PvP.
>>
>>341482992
A strong community can make any crap game fun. Like Garry's mod and Day Z. The biggest problem with WoW was they fixed the exploitable things like bringing high level monsters to capital cities.

Nobody actually misses vanilla for the game mechanics, just it being broken and exploitable. Take the corrupt blood incident for example.
>>
>>341484859
>Those who have the gear are still respected for completing that content.

Is what you tell yourselves, but nobody who is not actually one of you can tell the difference anymore.
>>
>>341484771
professions actually had a grand point in vanilla, especially since many classes had reagents that were made from professions. alot of people forget that part.

besides being one of the few on a server who could craft an item meant something. working on those professions to make money was a big deal.
>>
>>341482376
Spirestone US from 2005-2012
>>
>>341484734
Tell me then how would it be fixed.

Would all welfare epics be changed to blue icon and all of a sudden people feel like they earned gear when they got purple coded gear?
>>
>>341484993

>Okay well I still did it way before any of you turds did it, and you probably didn't even do it the right way.

What is the right way?
>>
>>341485216
giving the best players literally the same gear as LFR raiders only some asshole changed the hue in photoshop is not the solution.
>>
The thing I liked the most, was that being a competent player actually meant something. I'm a bit of a loner. I didn't have IRL friends who played the game, and not many online friends either. But I still had people always whispering me to do stuff because I was a good Priest. High end raiding guilds took notice to me and I ended up joining one of them just because I randomly did BD strat runs with him.

Now there is none of that. Whether its a combination of all of the auto-pilot addons or just the dumbing down of classes as a whole, I'm not sure. But now all that matters is attendance. If some retard can show up on raid night and not stand in shit, that's all that is required to clear most content. So now you have these closed off circlejerk Guilds that don't have to ever socialize or talk or look outside of their tight knit group, which I think killed a lot of sense of community that the game once had.
>>
>>341484509
Was it even possible to get R14 on nost without having premade buttbuddies instantly win every bg all day?
>>
>>341485352
Will you argue the fucking point about teamplay instead of trying to discredit me.
>>
>>341485102

>mfw i was one of the only 3 people on the entirety of nost who had a character with the core armor kit pattern from MC because the drop chances were fucked

ALL THE DOSH
>>
>>341485216

Simple.
Make Uncommon things Uncommon, Rare things Rare, Epic things even rarer than Rare, and probably with an involved "epic" way of getting them and then make Legendaries the rarest.

And then make these things look the way their rarity would suppose.
>>
>>341482482
spoils from previous challengers, other keepsakes
>>
>>341477903
fuck you young weezy
>>
>>341482997

grinding rank on nostalrius was HORRIBLE because of the fucking chinks account sharing(playing24/7) and win trading

i remember a grand marshal getting like 2mil honor in a wsg weekend
>>
>>341484375
>But questing back then was horrible and has barely improved the formula.
wow quests have never been great, but i disagree.

used to the leveling was part of the experience. now its very, very obvious that leveling is this chore that you have to go through to get to max level.

i personally don't feel like questing was "the way" to level up and shouldn't have been given the focus the way it is now. i leveled from like 20-60 doing some quests, killing people, and exploring which is completely different from today's "I did 1200 quests to get to 100"
>>
>>341485535

Ranking on nost required a fully dedicated premade of max people at all hours. 1/4 of it was stomping pugs effortlessly, another 1/4 was dodging the other faction premade and then forcing them to disband after a while because the honor was too slow and you didnt want to deal with them anymore and the last 1/2 was politics. Mostly keeping the chinese at bay, but also keeping autisitc europeans from getting aggressive and breaking caps due to rivalries.

>>341485542

I already did. Alliance had a heavy advantage in BGs because of paladins and their mana efficiency. The only advantage horde had at all was being able to get to the blacksmith flag a bit faster.
>>
>>341486087
>Alliance had a heavy advantage in BGs because of paladins and their mana efficiency.

>berzerk
>warstomp
>wotf
>totems
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (165 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
165 KB, 1280x720
I liked it because I became part of a community, people would recognize because of my rare mounts, elite gear and hard as fuck to get titles. My name was known in both factions, I was invited constantly to premade BG teams and raids.

World pvp was very satisfying because people were still leveling and killing them constantly really ruined their day, then they got angry and either brought more people or went to the forums to bitch about you.

It was like being the pretty girl in high school, people were super nice to me, even gifted me stuff for no reason. In the end I became bored when I had nothing more to achieve and started rerolling every time a new server opened, and I pretty much neglected college and in every server I joined the most elite guild and was almost always the server first to clear the current content. When arena was released I cheesed ultra hard and got some good titles and gear, but eventually it was just another weekly grind.

Eventually I was burned out, wotlk casualized everything, anyone could get epics by playing very little, there wasn't much that was hard to obtain. If I had cashed out back then I could probably have bought a cheap car with the money.

I been resubbing with every expansion since then and get bored after 2 weeks, no one ever groups for anything besides raids, it's do your dailies/garrison shit and logout till next day, leveling alts takes like 20 hours + a week for the latest content and that's it, gearing up is gated behind timed content for no fucking reason besides making you pay the sub longer.

Angwe was a fucking legend, I'll never forget that guy, he made everyone's life miserable and I love it.

I been trying to find the same feel as vanilla wow for years and always fail miserably, the closest was with the vg's crowd on Age of Wushu, but that game was a mess and the progression system was pretty retarded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiO1eQoo9bQ
>>
>>341486052
How do you think we did it in vanilla?
>>
>>341486368
Did you play Nostalrius? Community was near similar to vanilla WoW

Sadly your comment is making me feels, the nostalgia really gets to me
>>
>tfw nost never fixed impact
>never got to play elemental build mage again

rrreeeeeee
>>
>>341486235

None of those compete with how good paladins are during team fights.

The only one of those things that are good and not incredibly easy to deal with is warstomp, simply because its too fast to interrupt without preempting it. Only retards used berserk, because it just painted you as a target and whawoewa now you have MS on you and also have reduced healing from that. WoTF is hardly as big of a deal as anyone thinks it is. The only class that really suffers from it are alliance warlocks, but you only need a warlock to deal with druids in WSG. Totems can be destroyed in a single auto or aoe from anything and are generally a waste of mana for how long they stay up for.
>>
>be a young kid
>start playing WoW as an Undead Warrior
>get to Undercity
>think its a dungeon or some shit with hard enemies
>start asking random level 60's near the mailbox stupid questions like "is this a dungeon?"
>get no replies except maybe a "?"
>eventually leave and make it to Silverpine forest
>find a guy in the basement at the Sepulcher who sells White quality armor
>think its the shit and thats what I need
>spend the next 2 days getting my shit slapped by the bears in Silverpine trying to get their skin because that sold for the most
>eventually get a full set of white armor
>literally no difference, still getting my shit slapped by the bears

It was Magical. And I will never experience that again.
>>
>>341474430
the immersion
>>
>>341482992
Basically this.

I almost immediately found friends and realized it was all about community in vanilla. Guilds started popping up and gaining reputation among other players, famous players started emerging and so on.

It was just a great thing, not related to age, although age made it more mysterious and big.
>>
>>341486885
I'm not denying that paladins were good but to say alliance had even a slight advantage is a laughing joke. Alliance had a class that edged out shaman. Horde had three racial traits that were all better than anything Alliance had.

And by the way WotF was fucking insane. The amount of time I spent feared => dead as a NE Rogue was boggling.
>>
>>341486368
I would still fuck her tbqh
>>
>>341486628
I did for a brief time, but it at least when i tried it was very unstable and over crowded. So I ended up dying a lot to some random lag spikes, and fighting people for quest mobs because they didn't want to group. None of my friends wanted to leave wow just to play a private server.

I was playing alliance, I don't know if it was different on the horde side but on alliance It was kinda like that. I didn't expect it to live as long as it did so eventually I just quit thinking It could get deleted any day, and well it did but later than I thought.
>>
>>341487680

>letting yourself get feared by anything as a rogue when you can literally stunlock anything forever in no gear and white weapons
>not having a paladin cleanse that shit off you
>not just using your rogue pvp trinket that breaks fear

How did you get to rank 14? Oh right, because no one actually knew what they were doing in vanilla.
>>
>>341477869
This, I turned 20 in March, I question my existence very often, work isn't even fun anymore, everything boils down to time management and how you use it to get shit done.
>>
>reach the Blasted Lands in TBC
>you literally have nothing to do but kill the same mob over and over as a repeating quest

>play WoW today
>all you do is sit in a house all day
>>
>>341487031
>Make Orc warrior
>Visit Orgrimmar
>holy fuck it's huge how is this possible what is life
>visit weapon trainer and learn maces and shit
>visit the little weapon shack that used to be beside the bank
>purchase white 1-handed maces and such
>my friend does the same
>we spend the day trying to quest in the barrens missing everything and grinding weapon skill
>>
>>341488326
after 12 years the "vanilla rogues were OP" meme WILL NOT DIE
>>
>>341488326
>team play
>normally did have a paladin with me. he was kind of stupid though.
>pvp trinket had a 5 minute cooldown

Everything you did in nost? I invented it.
>>
>>341474430
i was someone...
>>
>>341488739

Rogues were the best 1v1 class next to shadow priests and perhaps druids.

They were completely useless in all BGs and there wasn't really a place for them. The only thing they were kind of good for was stealth-capping bases in AB occasionally, but usually just dying and being worthless instead.
>>
>>341488982
>shadow priests and perhaps druids

Warlocks and mages were better than both of those. Rogues were good in team fights and for scouting / stealth cap.
>>
>>341489297
druids were actually secret OP in PvP because of how hard it was to play effectively.

and yeah, rogues were always great for locking down efc in bgs n shit.
>>
>>341489297

>warlocks

No. Frost mages? Possibly, but they get dunked by shadow priests, warlocks and

Rogues are useless in teamfights and scouting can be achieved effortlessly and without wasting time and moving positions by hunters or shamans. What is a rogue going to do in a teamfight other than pop up and attempt to CC a healer only to get bled and probably one shot by a warrior that knows how to play and doesn't overextend. There is nothing a rogue can do outside of stealth capping that isn't better done by another class. Shit, any class can even stealthcap with noggenfogger/world enlarger and invisibility pots.
>>
>>341489984
I don't know man. I was too busy dunking people on my rogue to know what normal rogues do.
>>
>>341489984

never played vanilla but what you just described is the situation of rogues right now

everyone has PTSD from when rogues were supposedly bullshit so now they cant even be competent without every other class crying (even ones who werent around like death knights)
>>
>>341475071

good shit go౦ԁ sHit thats some goodshit rightth ere rightthere if i doƽaү somy self i say so thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷM HO0OଠOOOOOOଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ Good shit
>>
>>341487680
I don't understand why people keep forgetting alliance had dward priests.... fear ward+all the blessings made pve progression way fucking easier than god damn wotf or windfury could ever be. Easier pve = easier gearing up, so alliance had a clear edge, I browsed enough math junk on elitists jerks forums to know how imba alliance was, remember how shit gets multipled by every member numbers add up quite easily and makes lack of gear much more bearable.
>>
>>341490481
Maybe...

Possibly..

Could it really be that...

You know...

We weren't talking about PvE?
>>
>>341490630
Pve progression = better gear
better gear in pvp = ???
>>
>>341489984
there were plenty of bad rogues but good rogues had plenty of opportunities for stealth caps. sap/gouge/blind and vanish to pull it all off again (if it didnt get bugged by an auto attack :^) )
>>
>>341490754
That much is true. Kind of silly to complain about fear ward as a forsaken though.
>>
>>341490890

If you're in a position where the only way to win a base you need is by stealth-capping, you've already fucked up. It is a nice life-line, but only valuable after something else has already gone fundamentally wrong.
>>
>>341491212
stealth-capping is and will always be able applying pressure to poorly defended nodes and not about actually capturing them all the way. people always rush over to the cap to defend it thus thinning out the front lines
>>
>>341491425

1v1 rogues can't beat most classes since they either out-heal or out-damage them. Even fully geared rogues would struggle with backcapping in any seriously rated setting.

Rogues really don't have any niche in large scale PvP. What they really excel at is 2v2 where they can put obscene pressure on a single player so they can't heal, and then vanish so it's a 2v1.
>>
>>341491619
r we still talking about vanilla here?
>>
>>341490890

>losing a 2/3 in ab
>ok rogue go attempt to stealth-cap y base as everyone has moved to x base and there will only be 1-2 anchors at most
>rogue fucks up and dies
>enemy prem is now aware that you will try to be stealthcapping in the future and you wont be able to do it again
>ok back to anchoring GM i guess

>>341491425

1 person applying pressure and failing to get a base when they could be helping push another, or anchoring a base while that other person is pushing another is a complete waste of a person

if youre at an enemy base and you dont intend to cap it, you're wasting the time and losing the game for your team
>>
>>341483521
This guy sums it up nicely. Unless someone was very introverted, we all knew eachother, we had server celebrities who were known for various tomfoolery. It was like a large, dysfunctional family.
>>
>play female blood elf paladin on release of tbc
>first on the server to level cap
>get into a high end guild because of that
>have a girly character name and acted all cutesy and shit with emotes
>everyone treats me nice and stuff and flirts with me often
>first raid night I'm asked something on vent
>speak in my Man voice
>a full 20 seconds of awkward silence
>could literally feel the entire guild giving out a collective sigh since they all probably thought I was a girl
>get treated like shit from that point on
>>
Nothing, I was 17 when it came out and experienced enough with other MMOs to see it for the shit it is.

The primary demographics for WoW were stay at home moms, children and blizzard fanboys. The first two groups had nothing to compare it to and the last would gobble up anything Blizzard shit out.
>>
They're never doing vanilla servers. Get over it.

I know they'll probably do "Pristine Servers" which is nothing like vanilla and total cancer and you faggots are going to lap it up despite me warning you right now about it though.
>>
>>341492110
quality bait
>>
The community
That was gone by the time WoTLK came.

Now it's just another mindless gear-grind game
>>
>>341492382

No. It was trash and you only liked it because you didn't know any better.

I'd describe it as Everquest for babbies but that would be overly generous.
>>
>>341491871
dat disappointment do

did you get /gkicked? was it before or after epic lootz were handed to you?
>>
>>341491871
>not make up more excuses to hide your gender
>not asking a sister or friend to pretend is you once in a while to keep the charade going longer
anon how could you fail this so bad
At least when i was playing an orc girl everyone assumed I was a dude from the start, if you're going belf or draenei you need to be a slut till the end.
>>
>>341492637
Hi blizzard shill. Got some time off from E3 shitposting?
>>
>>341492912
>blizzard shill

I'm calling WoW shit. What is your fucking logic here?
>>
>>341493038
Blizzshill-kun hates being reminded that vanilla is superior.
>>
FUCK BLIZZARD BRING BACK NOSTALRIUS
>>
>>341482992
>Quest effectively
>Multiple people
>Vanilla
>With 5% shared drop rates on items
wwwwww
>>
>>341493141

WoW is shit today, too.
>>
>>341474430
No Dailies.

Loved just going to the zone, doing farming/pvp then joining a dungeon group and calling it a day.

Now its all about the Daily this, weekly that.
>>
>>341474430
Probably the sense of community brought on by having to actually interact with people to succeed.

You likely don't understand because as a current wow player you qualify for several forms of autism.
>>
>>341491871

i used a voice changer and the neckbeards in my guild actually fell for it

it started getting pretty fucking creepy though so i just quit the guild
>>
File: 368.jpg (968 KB, 1008x3636) Image search: [Google]
368.jpg
968 KB, 1008x3636
>>341492912
He's right though.
>>
File: 1426770285524.gif (443 KB, 400x296) Image search: [Google]
1426770285524.gif
443 KB, 400x296
>>341493560
>here's some shitty webcomic to prove my point
>>
>>341482992
I remember when I was leveling, I went a lot of times with the same group of people who I found some day at the city, and then, every time one of us needed help, we helped. I also remember when I did the quest for the lock horse, I met other locks and we did the entire quest, was pretty nice because few people wanted to do that quest or clear that dungeon.

The server was shit with low population, but was fun as fuck because every week we raided the horde with ton of people, a lot of unleveled characters too, we usually ended fighting on stranglethorn, I remember my first raid, it was my second day playing and I aggroed every mob due my low level (it was 15-16), and once I reached stranglethorn, a shaman appeared from nowhere and killed my with a single earthshock.

That was at the beginning of the BC.
>>
>>341493827
>Here's a reaction pic to prove you wrong
wew
>>
>>341493970
Still not as cringe-worthy as that comic you uploaded.
>>
>Never, ever experiencing a friday night playing vanilla/TBC WoW
Feels absolutely horrible.
>>
I played with my friends. It was fun as hell. The exploration. The world pvp. The feeling of accomplishment when defeating a new raid boss and getting gear. Just everything about it. It was good times.
>>
>>341494126
Look up what cringe means.
>>
>>341493560
the comic doesn't even show that vanilla was bad, just that people always had a reason to complain
maybe because there are always things that are bad and that can be improved?
>>
>>341494413
cringe verb \ˈkrinj\

1. To upload shitty web-comics about dead video games to an anonymous website in an attempt to win an internet arguement.
>>
5 hour alterac valley battles
>>
>>341494546
And the game improved a huge shitton from all the numerous bad aspects of Vanilla. But for some reason people still only hold Vanilla as the #1 thing because "hurr community and it was so hard xD"
>>
>>341494158
private servers
>>
>>341494816
there were things in vanilla that were better and things that were worse
>>
>>341474430

for me personally, it was the horrible sinking feeling when I started slowly realizing I had spent enough time ingame to learn two languages, actually do well on my exams instead of just barely scrape by, finish n^n singleplayer games and do other more meaningful shit
didn't even sell the fucking account when I could for at least five hundred now it's worth like 40 bucks
>>
>>341494816
attack animations, quests that remove people from your zone, and CoD-style lobbying sure were massive improvements.
>>
>>341474430
My age. I was a young fella had no worries and just enjoyed video games. All these hot summer nights playing with my friends and my guild.
>>
>>341494992
99% of the things were worse in Vanilla.

People act like x-realms and shit destroyed community but that's bullshit. Mindsets in general have changed overtime and people want efficiency and not fucking around for the sake of fucking around for an hour.

>>341495184
>attack animations
What?

>quests that remove people from your zone
You mean phasing? It's fine most of the time.

>CoD-style lobbying sure were massive improvements.
How is queue lobbying? If anything, that would be the same as something like DotA 2 match queue.
>>
>>341495451
>you don't think you want it but you do
>>
File: 1444930314548.jpg (143 KB, 807x1013) Image search: [Google]
1444930314548.jpg
143 KB, 807x1013
The social aspect. When it wasn't a single-player MMO. There were no flymounts, and everyone was hanging on the ground. You would have to talk to people to form parties, which in turn would create stronger bonds. I had lots of friends I would adventure and bond with during vanilla WoW. Heck, some friends that I met there even got married and had children. And we all around had lots of memorable moments, going on adventures and meeting new people. Now it's all kind of gone. Everyone is up in the air on their 9.99$ epic flymounts, and they just press a button to form a group with random underage shitheads, who don't even speak English. They just somehow barely clear a dungeon because it's so easy now, and move on.
It's boring. There's no sense of achievement, and more importantly the social aspect, which should be essential to any MMO, is dead.
>>
>>341495451
>People act like x-realms and shit destroyed community but that's bullshit.
we feel your pain that you only got to 36 before TBC release mate
>>
File: sssdddf.jpg (149 KB, 1166x501) Image search: [Google]
sssdddf.jpg
149 KB, 1166x501
>>341495971
Just for you senpai.

Change in mindset isn't only observable in WoW, either.
>>
The community.

I still remember Chum, a world class troll who provided hours of entertainment in Detheroc's trade chat.
>>
>>341495451
>99% of the things were worse in Vanilla.
name them
>>
>>341474430
nothing, it was babies first casual mmo.
i illusioned it to be related to the rts games and it was nothing like that, nor comparable to good mmos i played before it.
>>
>tfw no mmo like pre dungeon finder wow to make you feel like you have friends
>>
File: Ability_racial_bloodrage[1].png (4 KB, 64x64) Image search: [Google]
Ability_racial_bloodrage[1].png
4 KB, 64x64
>>341474430
50% Mortal strike healing debuff
Sword spec, windfury+trinkets proccing when the stars align.
Old Enrage
Intercept
Bloodrage
Shield Slam dispel effect being baseline
Cool trinkets like Tidal charm, or the engineering reflectors.
Warriors being the only great tanks. I loves ruling my groups with an iron fist.

The Community.
>>
>>341497241
Leveling as a whole was doggy doo. Biggest problems with it were lack of quests at certain levels (like 30-40) and god fucking awful drop rates on bear asses. (Still awful in TBC, got better in WotLK)

Viability of ton of specs was complete shit (mostly fixed with TBC)

Dungeon trips were literally some people forced to go with the obligatory warlock to summon or after summoning stones came out forced people to go there while you jacked off in IF, SW, Org or wherever. (This could've been made to work with teleport by having to discover the place at least once instead)

Raiding was a whole lot of (more) grinding, 40 man sucked ass in general.

Then there's debuff limit on bosses as well (can't remember which patch removed it but it was either in TBC or WotLK)

What more do you want? Vanilla was literally just the foundation from which to improve and pretty much everything did improve for the better. Shit, most of Vanilla's problems were fixed with TBC.
>>
File: tram.jpg (56 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
tram.jpg
56 KB, 1024x768
>>341474430

I liked the sense of community before they added all the LF shit and made it a singleplayer game
>>
File: 1443838030725.jpg (363 KB, 599x910) Image search: [Google]
1443838030725.jpg
363 KB, 599x910
>>341474430
the challenge,

>enemies had respect, you had to be careful around enemies, aggroing two of them often meant you died
>you had to manage your money, decide what to spend it on because you couldn't buy everything
>you actually had to keep your character to be always the strongest to be efficent in leveling
>you needed constant player interaction if you wanted to do lot of quests of just didn't wanted to grind the quests for too much time
>professions were actually useful through your leveling
>you had to manage your resources, consumables
>dungeons were pretty difficult, you always needed to be careful, reaching a new boss was pretty dramatic, defeating them was incredibly rewarding

now everything mentioned is literally the opposite

the game was actually like an RPG back then, and actually massively multiplayer because all the player interaction you needed for your progression.

Am I seriously the only one who has problem with this??? Everyone shitting on the new wow is only pissed off about garrisons or some balance in pvp.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud9h8UpcC4E

What the FUCK happened?
>>
>>341498330
>Leveling as a whole was doggy doo
leveling had its problems, but overall I like it better than now
>Viability of ton of specs was complete shit
I'll give you that one
>Dungeon trips were literally some people forced to go with the obligatory warlock to summon or after summoning stones came out forced people to go there while you jacked off in IF, SW, Org or wherever.
that's a good thing
people got way too lazy now
there needs to be some travelling through an MMO world, now everyone is just sitting in their garrisons and clicking buttons in menus
>Raiding was a whole lot of (more) grinding, 40 man sucked ass in general.
40 man raid were epic
sure had its negative sides but also a lot of positives
>Then there's debuff limit on bosses as well
I'll give you that one too

that's really not 99% of Vanilla
I had a lot of fun with it, so had a lot of other people
so much so that I played on Nostalrius and had a lot of fun
so don't tell me it's just nostalgia
I just played it last year and it was still fun
something I can't say about warlords of draenor
>>
>>341498931
Do people actually believe this?

I mean
>dungeons were pretty difficult, you always needed to be careful, reaching a new boss was pretty dramatic, defeating them was incredibly rewarding
jesus fucking christ
>>
>>341476316
>this entire post.
10/10 well done sir.
Fuck you.
>>
>>341499426
b-but brd!!!
>>
>>341474430
shitting on bad players due to playing an overpowered class and not being retarded
>>
>>341499426
what can't you believe?

This is not a fucking opinion, the damage-hp values were incredibly changed since vanilla, the game become WAY easier since then.
>>
>>341499271
>that's a good thing
After your first visit, what's the point? You'll just take the same short route to there and just end up spending 20 mins. At that point someone might just leave already and then it's back to getting new people. Teleportation once visiting once would be optimal.

>there needs to be some travelling through an MMO world, now everyone is just sitting in their garrisons and clicking buttons in menus
But that's only the problem of this expansion. Even WoD areas have things to discover in the world but when Garrisons are so op and you have everything there, what's the point?

>40 man raid were epic
Except that most PCs had problems running them at decent framerates, the amount of loot was abysmal, trying to keep everyone in the game was awful, trying to build a guild based on one nation and 40 active raiders = hell.

It was just plain fucking awful and 10/25 was so much better.

>that's really not 99% of Vanilla
99% is exaggeration but most aspects had very insufferable things to them. Other worthy of mention (which were fixed at one point in Vanilla) were things like infinite pushback on spells or things like Paladin buffs lasting 5 minutes and you had to do them one by one.
>>
I never played WoW past level 15 or 25 and will never play it again.

WoW is shit.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.