[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just picked up Dark souls 1 and 2 for real cheap. Which is the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg (53 KB, 256x330) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg
53 KB, 256x330
Just picked up Dark souls 1 and 2 for real cheap. Which is the better of the two? Anything I should know before I get into it?
>>
Just fucking play them and decide for yourself.
>>
Play the first one first. Play blind.
>>
>>341411772
I like Dark Souls 1 better, because i'm fucking rad.
Dark Souls 2 is not as bad as some people would suggest though.
>>
1 is a flawed masterpiece, 2 is pretty good if you compare it to western AAA trash.
>>
pve: ds1>ds2
pvp ds2>ds1
Also kill the blacksmiths as soon as possible for secret gear.
>>
File: ARLi3AI[1].jpg (305 KB, 746x746) Image search: [Google]
ARLi3AI[1].jpg
305 KB, 746x746
Play Dark Souls 1 first.
Don't listen to >>341412412
Avoid killing as many NPCs as possible.
Often times you get the gear you would get by killing them and more when they eventually die anyway.

Other than that just consult pic related, it gives you most of what you need to understand the game.
>>
don't kill npcs
but kill lautrec
>>
>>341412978
>not getting dingy set
I'm good, that shit is sexy.

Not like you really use that bonfire once you've already rung both bells. By the time you go back there, you've already probably got her souls anyway so it's not much of a loss.

As for advice for OP, parrying is very useful and a skill you should definitely learn; it's hard but very rewarding.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hrh94Dc-h0
Above is a great video to explain the subject.
>>
It's worth understanding how poise works also, since unlike Dark Souls 3 it actually does.

>http://darksouls.wikidot.com/poise
This page give a good overview at the start (in the "General Overview" and "Poise Regeneration" sections) as well as at the bottom in the "Notes" section.

The information in the middle is worth knowing if you plan on doing much PvP, but not really necessary in PvE.
>>
1 is fantastic until the halfway point, but after that it becomes shit. DLC is alright, but only because of the bosses. Dark Souls 2 is really mediocre but the DLCs are great and far better than every individual area in 1 with 2 exceptions
>>
>>341411772
Play ds2 first, that way you'll be able to enjoy both. The games aren't connected in any way except for a couple items that reference the first game.
>>
>>341411772
The first one is better made, evironment and boss wise, but the second one has more variety. Plus you can respec points in 2, where as in 1 you can't. Both are great imo. Did you get the DLC's packaged with?
>>
>>341411772
1 is better but 2 has better basic combat (different movesets for almost all weapons) and worse everything else. The DLC for both is stellar

Exhaust all NPC dialogue. Don't give up, try new strategies. Don't take the master key first playthrough in 1, it's used for sequence breaking. In 2 you have to summon NPCs for bosses to progress their storyline. In 2 enemies despawn after 15 or so kills but if you join the Champions covenant in majula (the big rock on the side of a cliff) it makes them respawn infinitely for farming at the cost of causing enemies to deal more damage. In 2, ascetic bonfires to push them into NG+, making all enemies tougher but also respawning bosses and unique enemies for farming. It cannot be undone.

Kill the dogs first.
>>
Dark Souls 2 is hands down the better game mechanically, but Dark Souls 1 has a better interwoven world and level design, which makes it more like an elaborate 3D Metroidvania if you like that kind of stuff

story is completely useless and fanfic tier headcanon in both games
>>
File: 1381890662832.jpg (328 KB, 746x746) Image search: [Google]
1381890662832.jpg
328 KB, 746x746
>>341411772
Here you go OP
Now get out.
>>
>>341418659
I really like the way the Souls games handle story elements. I'd much rather have them be completely optional than shoved down your throat like many games try to do.

I think its a great idea to let players only invest in the story only as much as they want and not force themselves to do anything more, though I do wish From wouldn't rely so much on speculation and Deductive reasoning.
While some are simple, logical jumps, there's a lot that are complete stretches of the imagination as you said.

>>341418825
See >>341412685
>>
Email steam and ask them to delete DaS2 from your library
>>
well, i started playing DaS3 today, and DaS1 is better
>>
You can make things a lot easier on yourself by exploring the initial areas before going further into the unread burg.

A useful weapon can be found not far from spawn, and you can delve deep to find another interesting weapon. Even as a deprived finding equipment near the start isn't too hard.
>>
>>341416536
>master key.
dat Astoria straight sword and dragon crest shield tho.
>>
File: 1463966899836.png (583 KB, 1728x1084) Image search: [Google]
1463966899836.png
583 KB, 1728x1084
>>341412412

>kill blacksmiths as soon as possible for secret gear

why would you tell a new player that? He needs the upgrades and doesn't want to know secrets.

>>341411772

>never points in res
>dex>str for pve
>take your time
>>
>>341419794
>blightt-

Triggered.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.