[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did arena fps die? I mean, the most obvious reason woul
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: quakearena[1].jpg (295 KB, 594x334) Image search: [Google]
quakearena[1].jpg
295 KB, 594x334
Why did arena fps die?

I mean, the most obvious reason would be that people don't want to invest the time to get good, however millions of people play CSGO and MOBAs trying to get better; I realize that they are completely different skills but it shows people invest time into these things.

Which brings me to the other conclusion I can think of, most people simply can't get good at arena fps, they either lack the motor skills or the mental ability of keeping separate timers in their heads.

Even if this was the case, shouldn't afps be more popular simply because of how impressive it is to watch high level play? It's not like other genres where you need to have a super deep understanding of the game to enjoy it, watching people fly around and kill each other isn't entertaining?

obligatory frag vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHo4l-qmGHI
>>
It couldnt cater to controllers
>>
I'm a noob to this genre.

What do you mean separate timers?
>>
>>341393191
Then why are mobas so popular? You can't play most of them on a controller.
>>
>>341393191
Quake Champions is PC-exclusive and still sounds like they're trying to tone down the arena-aspect of Quake
>>
>>341393107
>arena fps
Hello there Grandpa
>>
>>341393316
I meant keeping track of 2 pickups at the same time, like an armor and a weapon
>>
the same reason starcraft died.

team games rule the market.
>>
>>341393359
They dont take much still to play
>>
Probably because there hasnt been a AAA afps with really good graphics to appeal to the mainstream market
>>
They are too hard to get good at.
>>
because they're shallow as fuck
if you want to play something that's all skill with such little strategy you might aswell play a real sport
>>
>>341393573
I hadn't thought of that, but it's pretty obvious now that I think about it, only exception are fighting games.

>>341393598
True, I think UT4 is the only example, hopefully the new quake is at least a step in the right direction
>>
>>341393516
Only doing that to get attention of arena fos vets if they wanted to they would have released it for consoles but since quake isnt a name thats recognizable for the console crowd its safer to just market it towards pc players
>>
>>341393107
Marketing probably
Companies spend millions of dollars to make tournaments and shit so their games get the spotlight. I mean, it's easy to make a teenager addicted to your game if you make the illusion that he will somehow earn money by playing it non-stop, then said teenager will talk about whatever game to his friends and they all get hooked on it thinking that they will make money and get famous for the most mundane and laziest hobby out there (most other hobbies teach something useful, yet videogames teach kids to skip studying and responsibilities).
Now add to this streamers and e-celebrities.

Someone said that speedrunning is the most degenerate act man has conceived, yet I think that it's actually e-sports.
>>
>Casual players = lots of people
>lots of people = lots of money
>Arena FPS aren't catering to casual, they want devoted, returning core players
>No reason for a company to make an arena fps except for nostalgia or a pre-existing series

If you have such a boner for them then just play the new UT or check out Reflex. There's a lot of AA arena FPS coming out, and there's a market. It just so happens it's not a very big one, relative to the size of games consumers.
>>
>>341393839
>>341393316
great video to show how much strategy goes into this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdkDjsBiO58
>>
>>341393107
No one actually plays arena FPS.
Arena FPS fans whine and bitch until a new arena FPS comes out, then it never gets players and dies.
>>
>>341393107
UT4 on steam when?
Maybe then it can actually grow a decent playerbase...
>>
There hasn't been a AAA arena FPS that is good with features that keep people coming back like cosmetic progression.
>>
>>341393359
they run on every toaster in the world and they don't require much skill to play
>>
File: halo_masterchief_03.jpg (872 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
halo_masterchief_03.jpg
872 KB, 2000x2000
>>341393191
>post popular FPS period from the past decade is an console exclusive arena FPS
>can't cater to controllers

I mean, yeah, it plays slower, but still
>>
File: 1axzwUU.jpg (301 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1axzwUU.jpg
301 KB, 1920x1080
shilling our Latinoamerican UT4 server

http://foros.3dgames.com.ar/unreal-tournament-argentina.129/910348.ut4-todo-para-jugar-online-13-06-16-a.html
>>
>>341393598
>>341395679
see
>>341396807

The question you should be asking is why Halo was able to stay relevant for so long after other FPS franchises weren't.

I really think it just comes down to the fact that High speed, jumping from platform to platform and moving your aim 90 degrees at once just doesn't work with controllers and a PC only shooter in the early 2000's wasn't really all that viable on a wide market.
>>
>>341397425
*after other arena FPS franchises weren't
>>
>>341396807
CS was also quite popular last decade
Maybe Halo was the bomb in the US, but I'm willing to be that stuff like Crossfire was huge in Asia and Counter-Strike/Quake was huge in Southamerica and Europe.

Halo main flaw to those markets was that it was console exclusive and that means you have to spend more money. Last decade internet cafes were a thing and big LAN parties consisted of games such as Warcraft (and DotA), Counter-Striker and any low-demanding PC game. Maybe parents in the US (and the cities) didn't favor LAN parties and all of that, but let me tell you that there was a huge market for those during that times.

Hell, the sole reason that the PS2 sold that much in third world countries was also because you could pirate games easily.
>>
Quake and UT are both coming back though. It's a rematch 15 years in the making. Can't wait.
>>
Lack of ranking systems. In most arena FPS games, someone who is incredibly good will join a server and wreck shit. Being constantly in the shadow of someone greater than you tends to scare off casual players. Games like DOTA and LOL pit players of equal skill against each other, so even those people with only two brain cells will find an even match. On the other side of the coin, skilled players have a very hard time finding other players of equal skill level as well; it get boring stomping newbs all day long.

On the other hand, servers are the only community arena GPS games have. If you were to get rid of the servers in favor of some ranked matchmaking system you would completely destroy the community. Since arena FPS games are typically not team based, player interaction is somewhat limited compared to team games like LoL. Many players who stick around for a while typically find that one server they really enjoy hanging out on, but most new players are put off by the lack of apparent community.

Some day, someone smarter than me is going to figure out how to maintain a community in a non team oriented game while keeping players of equal skill playing together and they are going to revive the genre.
>>
File: 1458083018443.jpg (32 KB, 428x417) Image search: [Google]
1458083018443.jpg
32 KB, 428x417
>>341393107

>2:00

These people were superhuman
>>
>>341394182
problem is that the strat only works on 1v1

When its dm or tdm is just usually one gregor wiping the server
>>
Even 'back in the day' more people played mods TF/CS, but what killed arena shooters was the 360 with halo and CoD:MW
>>
>>341394058
You're not wrong there. They can still make it a pure consolitis game and then announce the console 'port' later. That sounds just like the sort of thing Bethesda would do.
>>
>>341397068

>argentina
>white
>>
>>341393107
The primary issue with these games is that they're unintuitive. The movement techniques involved aren't exactly 'logical' but based on exploits which later became features. And it takes quite a bit of time to learn these techniques to even have the basic skills in order to compete, let alone win. The realisation that your primary objective is to control resources rather than shoot things is pretty counter-intuitive too. Not to mention that there's very little you can do against an experienced player - even under the assumption that you were shooting similarly well as him, he'd always be stacked up in resources and you'd lose every encounter. In Counter-Strike, good shooting can defuse any situation. A well aimed (or lucky) headshot kills everyone, and that gives people always something to look forward to. In most arena shooters, the side who controls the resources is in the offensive, while the other side slowly needs to regain momentum and carefully try to find a moment of carelessness in the opponent to snatch a resource from him and get back into the game. For many, this is unappealing, because it's simply too slow - arguably, the concept exists in Counter-Strike too to an extend, with ecos, but even those can be quite exciting. To be fair - CPM style games are quite a bit faster and involve a higher degree of movement and in my opinion a more enjoyable gunnery aspect than Vanilla Quake 3, but it's still quite a bit more strategic than tactical, I can see why it wouldn't appeal to just anyone.
>>
>>341398049
But Halo is an arena shooter
>>
>>341393107
I really hope UT4 adds Onslaught (with vehicles). It solves almost all of the problems arena shooters have when it comes to casuals.
>>
Let me answer your question with another question:

Why did turn based RPG die?

Protip: the reason is the same.
>>
The transition into the early shitty laggy 60hz lcd's among the mass crippled them.
>>
>>341398581
>Why did turn based RPG die?
But turn-based RPGs aren't dead. Lots of them have been released, especially since kickstarter is around.
>>
>>341398487
No, fuck you. Vehicles diluted the franchise in UT2004 and then nearly killed it with UT3. Leave vehicles for fucking Halo.
>>
because becoming good at them requires being able to exploit several glitches on command
>>
>>341398372
good point, I can see how "playing the long game" is something that would put off a lot of people, especially since one frag can snowball into a huge advantage from very early on.

Maybe that's the logic behind the abilities in the new quake, letting you turn the tide when at a heavy disadvantage.
>>
File: Besiege.jpg (69 KB, 900x720) Image search: [Google]
Besiege.jpg
69 KB, 900x720
>>341393107
1. Not enough PUBLICITY. When was the last time you saw an advertisement for an arena FPS? And if you said "TF2", yes, that is why it continues to be the third most played game on Steam- because it actually gets advertised.

2. SKILL CEILING. Progressing up the ranks is hard for shitters.

3. NOT ENOUGH VARIETY. Shotgun, Plasma, RL, Railgun, Grenade Launcher, Machine Gun, Gauntlet, maybe BFG... and that's it. Playable characters amount to reskins, and pretty much everyone only plays The Longest Yard.

I would have loved to see new weapons added.
>>
>>341398372
>A well aimed (or lucky) headshot kills everyone
someone post one of those webms
>>
>>341398704
Howso? When they were in a different mode.
>>
>>341398963
along with the skill ceiling it's good to mention that the skill floor is really fucking high compared to almost every other genre. It can't be popular if you can't have at least a little fun in your first match
>>
Because the companies backing spunkgargleweewee games had far more marketing dollars to throw at normies.
>>
>>341399097
Onslaught became the super popular mode for casuals in UT2004. This lead to Epic focusing on vehicles for UT3, which lead to HALF THE CONTENT being about vehicles, and only non-vehicle modes being DM and CTF. It cannibalized half the fucking game. Never again.
>>
>>341398874
>one frag can snowball into a huge advantage from very early on.
Very much so.

Anyone can remember a game against a significantly better player where one lost ones patience and started rushing in unprepared and losing with a huge difference. To keep calm and slowly build ones game up is essential and it also requires a bit of confidence in ones own playing and not getting demotivated from having the attempt get crushed. In Quake, a good player can often seem overpowering when it's often just the armour and health stack that made them powerful. But in order to see that takes experience, and few people these days have the motivation to keep playing to get to the point where they would come to the realisation, and arguably it also takes a bit of community effort, encouragement, etc. - which nowadays doesn't exist any more to the same extent though, since it all has become less personal with internet gaming being the focus rather than local play.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.