[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"The problem with modern video games is that they've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: Fallout4_E3_CityVista.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Fallout4_E3_CityVista.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>"The problem with modern video games is that they've updated the visuals while keeping the corny over-compensatory "video-game" rules meant for PS2-era consoles.
>"If video games want to stay on the cutting edge they need to start implementing more realistic mechanics."

Agree? Disagree?
>>
>>341320873
It depends on what these "realistic" mechanics entail.

Since a lot of a game's mechanics could land on the side of a vital element of the gaming experience.
>>
>>341321898
video game rules exist to make games fun and interactive.
Some things that are realistic aren't exactly vital to mechanics, but make great eye candy.
I mean, would you want to take a restroom break in video games while exploring an open world?
>>
Agree. When I'm flying in superman 64 I'm always thinking "man, this is so unrealistic"
>>
File: image.jpg (158 KB, 809x1010) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
158 KB, 809x1010
Another New Vegas thread?
>>
File: 1395547196479.jpg (21 KB, 393x360) Image search: [Google]
1395547196479.jpg
21 KB, 393x360
>>341320873
People need to stop worrying about what people want in video games in general, as though there's some rule, and just keep to figuring out what would make the game that they're working on be complete and cohesive at whatever it's trying to do

If a game stands out for doing what it does excellently, then it will gain praise from people as more than just a passing fad; regardless of genre or whether its content is realistic or not, or what the story entails from either simple themes, or overly pretentious faggotry.
>>
I agree and disagree.

Sometimes it's fun having straight basic classic-style gameplay. Sometimes you want to boot the game up and jump right into the shit without having to think too much.

But sometimes you want to really get sucked into something - totally immersed - and that's ok too.

My own personal dilemma right now is that I'm trying to find a great RPG I can play where I can make my own avatar and get lost for hundreds of hours exploring and doing misc shit.

Problem is, Bethesda games are the few games that do this, and they're unbearably fucking shallow and insult you at times by making choices for you because their demographic is that of a field of fucking potatoes.
>>
>>341320873
They're literally doing the opposite.
Every modern game is trying to be super cinematic.
>>
>>341320873
What does "realistic mechanics" even mean?
>>
File: david jaffe is unenthused.jpg (234 KB, 724x724) Image search: [Google]
david jaffe is unenthused.jpg
234 KB, 724x724
Whoever wrote this seems like they don't understand how to put what they meant to say into actual proper words.

Sounds to me like they want more depth to gameplay, more things to really immerse you and involve you in what it is you're doing, instead of just mashing buttons, reading prompts, and blindly mindlessly following arrows to your next objective.

I agree. Perfect example as to how not to do video games is Bethesda's Fallout 4. Game is a fucking mess, regardless of how well it might have sold. Reason it sold so well was because most people expected another New Vegas or something as decent as, I guess you could say Skyrim was, but we just got a shitload of mediocrity.
>>
>Some faggot who doesn't understand what ABSTRACTION is wrote that
>People might listen to him, for all the wrong reasons
>>
Fuck no. Muh realism is killing the fucking fun of video games.
>>
>>341320873
Why the fuck would I want video games to be more realistic? The only time I wanna see something more realistic is the physics and character reactions to things i.e how they respond to getting shot in specific areas. I don't give a shit about their being more "realistic" characters or them looking more "realistic" with imperfections in their face.
>>
>>341320873
Disagree, realism, in most cases, is boring.
>>
>>341322880
Yes I would.
>>
>>341326031
I liked the Survival Mode after they updated it, but the story is still a boring, linear mess.

It irritates me that even though it's linear it's still badly written.
>>
>>341320873
An extreme focus on realism inherently limits creativity. You can make something good and realistic, but realism is not the "we have to go this direction" way forward for video games.

What actually needs to happen is for retards to get some fucking standards. Budgets are too high, experimentation with high budgets is at an all time low, marketing is too powerful because of idiots.
>>
>>341323990
F:NV. If you don't like it save me the fucking speech.
>>
>>341320873
Last gen was all about realism and most of it was boring shit
>>
>>341324198
Video games aren't movies
>>
>>341320873
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>341327835

Yeah, their lead writer is atrocious.

However, I will say that Far Harbor, while still not excellent, was actually a decent bit of story. Still some shit that makes no sense and could have been done better, but what are you gonna do? Bethesda knows they're king shit of RPGs, but unfortunately couldn't hire a decent writer or implement proper in-depth rpg mechanics to save their fucking franchises.

I secretly hope, as much as I love TES franchise, that TESVI is so fucking bland, shallow, and outright bad that it forces them to really rethink their strategy.
>>
>>341322880
Of course I would. Especially if it's an RPG.

I once had a Oblivion character where I even took baths every now and then
>>
>>341328118

I've played it to death. I have 400~ hours into it and have done pretty much everything.
>>
>>341320873
Fuck no. Those "corny, over-compensatory 'video game' rules" are what make games fun.
>>
>>341328353
Myself lol
>>
>>341328521
Mods. If you're on console did you play the dlc?
>>
>>341328649
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all game should go this route. There are a ton of "gamey" games that are still right on the money, particularly in the zombie genre.

I'm talking more along the lines of Fallout, TES, and GTA. The latter especially should pick one route and stick to it.
>>
>>341320873
disagree, only simulators need realistic mechanics. /thread
>>
>>341328836

Played it on PC. Played all DLC. Played mutliple times through with so many mods that I'd have to reinstall and do clean installs every time I did a new playthrough because I would want to do something different.

Can no longer be bothered with NV.

Want something fantasy, but there's not a lot of options for an immersive fantasy RPG on the scale of Bethesda's shit. Witcher 3 but I've finished all of that and don't want to trog through it all again.
>>
>>341320873
>The problem with modern video games is that they've updated the visuals
That is all you needed to quote OP. Nothing more needs to be said.
>>
>>341329057
The cars in GTA at least need to have realistic mechanics. I want to be able to crush a car with a bus with as little effort as possible, thanks.
>>
>>341328364
>Bethesda knows they're king shit of RPGs
Not really, they just have a monopoly. If they had any competition, they'd be fucked.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.