[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck is going on with RPG games /v/? Why is this genre,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: 1423595699905.jpg (28 KB, 480x541) Image search: [Google]
1423595699905.jpg
28 KB, 480x541
What the fuck is going on with RPG games /v/? Why is this genre, more than any other genre so badly plagued with godawful games? I'm not even just talking by low modern standards, for the last 16 years I could barely count on my fingers the amount of RPG games worth owning.

>Morrowind
Delusional if you think anything about the gameplay is remotely acceptable
>skyrim/oblivion
barely functional soulless monstrosities
>Mass Effect series
First game was nice and showed promise only to gradually waste it with each subsequent game
>Mount and Blade
Extremely battle oriented and lacking in basic diplomacy/role playing elements. Without mods the only way to make a kingdom is to conquer territory, can't inherit anything through marriage or such. I like them as games but not for the RPG mechanics

I could keep going but would run out of space I'm sure you get the idea. Why is it you can get good, fleshed out shooters/platformers/puzzle games etc but there has been so few RPG games which are not terribly crippled by bad design, serviceable gameplay or are just too shallow?
>>
File: 500x500.jpg (29 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
500x500.jpg
29 KB, 500x500
>Morrowind gameplay is bad
>>
>>341260975

unserviceable gameplay rather
>>
>>341261065
All TES games except for Daggerfall are shit for casuals and kids

Now go play with your dragons and ash niggers
>>
File: 1440733266825-1.jpg (196 KB, 1583x816) Image search: [Google]
1440733266825-1.jpg
196 KB, 1583x816
>>341260975
Stop playing shitty wrpgs. The only good wrpgs are "old, classic" ones. Divinity OS is good though. If you want rpgs, play jrpgs. There are plenty others than just weeb ones too, although, some of those are bretty gud
>>
What do you think of bannerlord? I wasn't here when it was revealed. I saw some distruction of the castle, but not of anything significant. I expected walls to be destructible.

This game needs motion capped animations. The bumping of shields and swords is nice.
>>
>>341261569

Ah yeah I didn't mention that, before I wrote the thread OP I was going to talk about JRPGs and they're really the main exception to the "bad RPG" but they basically only do strategic/tactical shit or otherwise turn based stuff they barely ever make action rpgs and those they do are janky as fuck or are just ripped off WRPGs anyway. Worse still with the exception of social simulator shit like Persona the "role playing" element is typically kept to a minimum and the only thing that makes them even classifiable as RPGs is the fact that there's an EXP system.
>>
>>341261569
>Divinity OS is good
I literally haven't played a more boring game than that piece of horse shit.

Mechanics were okay though.
>>
>>341262019

See? This is what I'm talking about. There's always something these games do okay or even very well only to let themselves down by failing to address the other fundamental features, overall leading to a boring, mediocre, sometimes even unplayable game. I am just curious as to why there seem to be such a small handful of these games that execute all of their core mechanics in a competent manner
>>
File: 1303606967396.jpg (31 KB, 304x380) Image search: [Google]
1303606967396.jpg
31 KB, 304x380
>>341262019
I felt that way a little bit when it first came out, but they gave the final version free and after playing that I enjoyed it more and understood its praise. Also, I played with my gf as the second character so the bantz was fun. I am a sucker for turn-based, and I liked the battle environments. Did you get far? Or just give up in the first town? Honestly, I just wish it wasn't isometric.
>>
>>341260975
Well, I definitely think RPG games have a problem with the one thing they are supposed to have... RPG. It's like they don't understand how to make RPG elements in a game, and instead choose to make them more and more casual.

FUCVKKKK
>>
>>341261903

From what I've seen of it, it looks no different to the previous games other than a graphical update, probably more responsive combat, I haven't heard anything about any changes to the way the role playing/army management/diplomacy stuff works or maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.
>>
>>341260975
>Retarded OP is so retarded he cant tell the difference between ARPGs and RPGs
Thats why the genre is shit to you, because you are too stupid to realize the difference.
>>
>>341262840

>has his head so far up his ass with genre pedanticism that he doesn't understand that all ARPGs are RPGs

Well whatever, so all ARPGs are shit, as you've just informed me, as are SRPGs which I have also talked about in the thread. Since I'm so retarded please inform me which RPGs which do not have action or strategy and aren't Japanese (since I also mentioned them)
>>
>>341263390
>understand that all ARPGs are RPGs
No they aren't, and that has literally never been true in the entire history of gaming. RTT and RTS are not the same, TB and RT are not the same, TPS and FPS are not the same.

Just because there are some similar letters and common traits does not mean genres are the same thing. Developers are very clear on what type of game they are making and ARPGs and RPGs focus on entirely different things.

The fact you think all RPGs are just 1 type shows you have no understanding of why these games are even different in the first place, and considering you're shitposting and refusing to listen to reason I wont waste any more time on you.

Just remember you're a moron, and you have no right to talk about genres you dont understand.
>>
>>341263853

You are completely retarded and have no comprehension at all. If you can't even comprehend basic English it might be more intuitive for you to read up on set theory so you don't make the same complete mental fuckjob of a mistake you've made in your autismal response because you'd at least realize that when I say "all ARPGs are RPGs" this means that ARPGs are a subset of RPGs, which DOES NOT imply under ANY circumstances that all RPGs are ARPGs. Maybe I'm just expecting too much of you, though. Perhaps I should from now write everything as explicitly impossible so that even people such as yourself who have English as their third language despite not speaking any other language can understand: "Some RPGs are also ARPGs, but there are no ARPGs that are not RPGs".
>>
Probably because every game nowadays needs to incorporate some bullshit RPG elements because people don't know how to make interesting gameplay anymore.
So the actual RPGs get nothing.
>>
>>341264758

How do you mean? Like the xp progression in CoD multiplayer games and whatnot?
>>
>>341264907
Yeah. Or games shoehorning in state or skill trees or whatever.
>>
>>341265063

Yeah that's pretty annoying. Moreso because it takes away from the rest of the game itself than anything else. I think they only include it to bring in WoW style skinner box mechanics or whatever you call it to keep people playing and artificially extend the lifespan of the game without making any meaningful additions to it.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.