[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you make a RPG difficult without turning it into a grindfest?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2
File: 1461625905475.png (130 KB, 314x342) Image search: [Google]
1461625905475.png
130 KB, 314x342
How do you make a RPG difficult without turning it into a grindfest?
>>
Make it real time. I know of no example that isn't.
>>
By putting in puzzles that requires you to speak Japanese to solve.
>>
Finite spawns
>>
>>341177454

Last Remnant
>>
Low level cap and strategic techniques that work in combos.
>>
>>341177454
Dragon Quest 8
>>
>>341177454
By playing legitimate RPGs and not cancerous weebtrash that's just a visual novel with something other than dialogue to mash X through.
>>
>>341177454
by not making it a rpg
>>
>>341177454
You could always put soft exp caps and design battles around those levels. Kind of like what FE Nohr did, just set the challenge of a boss battle as being difficult for people level X and make it hard to have the PCs be higher than level X within that area.
>>
>>341177454
back tracking
>>
You have multiple characters and need to have them cooperate nigh perfectly.
>>
>>341177454
can someone give me the image of the fucking idiot baby holding it's head that looks like this girl
>>
make the fights force you to think and manage your shit
>>
>>341181310
Yeah, play real RPGs like Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, and Shadowrun Returns.

They're not boring and shitty at all.
>>
>>341177454
remove rpg mechanics
>>
>>341182447
>Real gameplay scares me, and the lack of daggerchin animu samefaces means my pee pee won't get hard!
>>
>>341177454
You make enemies that require more than just mindless skill-casting to defeat.

You make dungeons that are fun to explore. Maybe mutate them each time.

You make quests that actually have a story behind them. Fetch quests are still fun if there is a motivation behind it. It's boring when the excuse is "do this because I said so".
>>
>>341183107
>Any of those games
>Gameplay
>>
>>341177454
If the battle system is relatively complex, you balance the game so that you need to master the gameplay to beat it at the lowest level. Optional fights could be included so a casual player can grind to make it easier, but the most effort should go into balancing the game at the lowest level.

However, the people who care about challenge and balance are a very, very small minority. Even if a game is well balanced, most players would claim it's a "grindfest" because they don't want to master the battle system and they end up grinding instead.
>>
>>341177454
You go the souls route by having the gameplay not entirely reliant on being a DPS race or having lots of one specific item. Have the challenge be pattern recognition and command execution rather than just MO HEALTH MO PROBLEMS.
>>
>>341183345
>Weebtrash
>Gameplay

Cinematic AAA garbage has more gameplay than weebshit. Pong requires more inputs than any weeaboo game.
>>
>>341177454
>>Implying grindfests are bad

I want the normies out.
>>
>>341183862
Way to not address the trash gameplay in new CRPGs.
>>
>>341184261
Still better than absolutely none, like all your weebshit.

Again, even a trash game is miles better than weebfag cancer.
>>
Even just making positioning matter goes a long fucking way. Just look at HoMM, the combat is almost entirely down to positioning.
Adding skill interactions, and reducing RNG can help too as it'll reward careful planning.
>>
Make RPG difficult.
Give no option to backtrack.
>>
>>341177454
You make damage types actually worth a shit. If a monster is weak to fire, then make fire super effective. While everything else is far less effective. The problem with most RPGs, is that the monster has this long list of weakness and resistance, but they don't mean anything. You can just do blunt attack, and bully your way through the game without any strategy or thought.

If the enemy has resistances that are worth anything, then grinding wouldn't make a large difference. Strategy and ingenuity would be more important.
>>
>>341177454
Require skill in set up.
>>
>>341184563
>>Comparing visual novels to jrpgs

I mean I'm only pissed because there's some faggot seriously responding to you.
>>
>>341177454
Do something like the Mario RPG games where you have a chance to block/dodge attacks.
>>
>>341184858
>using fire magic on ice monster
>skill
Why are SMTards so dumb?
>>
>>341177454
Puzzles
Or like in Fire Emblem Conquest, just have very few options for grinding
>>
>>341185235
What's the difference?

JRPG "combat" is literally one button input tier. It's no different mashing through hours of that than it is mashing through the 9,000,000 lines of poorly written animu dialogue. Weebshit is 100% for braindead permavirgins.
>>
>>341177454
make status aliments work on bosses unless its thematically appropriate for them not to be like i duno a trash monster or whatever being immune to poison and shit like that
>>
>>341185625
>>What's the difference

Stop reading there.
>>
>>341185608
Why don't you just not grind dipshit?
>>
>>341177454
explain your image OP
>>
>>341177454
I'd night battle with a yasen baka.
>>
Make new enemies that are clones of the last one with various weaknesses, reaistances, and attacks
The player will have a harder time taking them out, earn the same exp, and you won't just be bumping the enemy hp up
>>
File: 1249367599495.png (76 KB, 1800x890) Image search: [Google]
1249367599495.png
76 KB, 1800x890
>>
>>341185625
>What's the difference?
Hillary please stop holy shit
>>
>>341185885
Of course you would, because the truth terrifies your delusional weeb tainted mind and you lack any real way to refute my statements.

Naturally it would be more convenient to just cover your ears, shut your eyes, and pretend it never happened.
>>
>>341185256
>Using shitpost as a reply
>Contributing.
>>
>>341177454
Actually have strategy involved. This isn't hard.
>>
>>341186012
you should know better than to reason with a fire emblem fan by now
much less a "advertise the worst selling game" shill
>>
>>341177454
>implement exp scaling so if your level is above the enemies on the map, you get less XP
>Bosses are a threat but can be shut down with enough prep
>regular enemies are usually weaker or in the same level but some few rare enemies can fuck your shit up but reward you nicely when defeated
All in all, SMT and EO do it just fine.
You literally do not need to grind in those.
>>
Etrian.
>>
Do the opposite of grinding. Add a level cap.
FF13 had the right idea kinda.
>>
>>341186971
then you just discourage players from ever fighting.
>>
>>341186597
Is English not your first language?
>>
>>341177454
By not being a casual that needs to grind levels
>>
add reaction commands
>>
>>341186167
Mate this is inaccurate. Squeenix is the japanese equivalent of Bethesda you moron.
>>
>>341187259
Do you eat your own shit?
>>
>>341186012
No shit you cant grind if grinding is unavailable fucking retard
>>
>>341187181
You still got items from enemies that you used to upgrade weapons.

And sometimes enemies blocked your path because the game didnt have any random encounters.

In FF13 it was generally hard to hit the level cap randomly anyways, but you got close enough if you just killed every enemy on the way. It was pretty much only there to stop excessive grinding.

I also know for a fact that it caused some trouble for some people because they actually had to learn how to approach the combat, as simple as it was.
>>
>>341186723
Not him, but it's hard to tell if you're at the right level for a boss or not at times, especially in games where there isn't an abundance of strategy in the first place. If I lose to a boss and it's easy to walk out for a few minutes and start getting some levels I'm going to assume the creators didn't figure I was supposed to be at a low level, it's not like it's souls where I can just dodge more if I'm taking too much damage too fast after all.
>>
>>341187787
Or you could just not grind you stupid piece of shit.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.