[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tales of Symphonia thread?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Tales of Symphonia #2.jpg (102 KB, 256x360) Image search: [Google]
Tales of Symphonia #2.jpg
102 KB, 256x360
How about a Symphonia thread?
Both Symphonia games are welcome to be discussed.

I'll kick this off with a few points to discuss:
>favourite character?
Mine was Kratos.
>opinions on the soundtrack?
>favourite bosses?
>comparisons of the combat from this game to the later entries in the series

I seriously find it very difficult to find flaws with this game. Maybe it's just nostalgia talking, but this game really did have a huge impact on my childhood and I continues to do so.
I can take off the rose-tinted glasses and look at the game objectively, which I have, and it still holds up. The only thing I would say is the dialogue could get a bit cheesy at time.

But the characters, the character interactions and relationships, the music, the combat and the story (which starts of cliché) that eventually becomes very political and very interesting.

Man, just....everything. Go.
>>
Here's something: it was only loved because of the time in which it came out.

Competent ARPGs and 3D action games were still new. Despite Symphonia's shallow gameplay, characters and story, it was loved for being an RPG you could actually take an active part in playing, something most people had never seen before in a 3D game.

There's no reason to even play it unless you grew up with it. It's mediocre at best.
>>
>>341029638
It's the same with Phantasy Star Online, but it doesn't stop people from running private servers and introducing new players to the game.

There is no reason to immediately erase all information about an old game just because there is something better now.
>>
>>341029638
>shallow gameplay

You cannot possibly back this up. You had load of artes, spells and moves to choose from. The game's combat was fast-paced and fun.

> characters and story,

Story starts off cliché but becomes quite political and somewhat complicated as you go on.
Characters are fine. Kratos was great especially.
>>
File: 1416856575045.jpg (321 KB, 845x1036) Image search: [Google]
1416856575045.jpg
321 KB, 845x1036
S or T?
>>
>>341033012
T gets you Grave, right?
>>
File: 1424839119438.jpg (134 KB, 952x738) Image search: [Google]
1424839119438.jpg
134 KB, 952x738
>replaying the game
>going through all the dungeons again
I tell ya, ToS is lucky its got fun combat.
>>
>>341033151
Great music too to keep you going through some of the bad dungeons like the Meltokio Sewers and the Wind Temple.
>>
>>341033012
Both
>>
>>341031932
There's a difference between "erasing information" and acknowledging that it wasn't very good.

The 2D games and some of the later 3D entries hold up better. It is celebrated for spectacle and availability, not content.
>>
>>341029638
This game definitely has one of the better written stories and characters if it comes to fantasy games.
And don't even start shitting on the gameplay.
>>
>>341033563
>It is celebrated for spectacle and availability, not content.

What exactly was it missing that seriously detracted from the game? You had sidequests, collectibles, arena battles, optional and hidden bosses, extra difficulty modes, fun combat, a decent story (later on in the game, at least), interesting characters, a fantastic soundtrack...
I could go on. You're just being a contrarian like the rest of /v/.

Oh boo hoo, it didn't have free-running. It was the first 3D one in the series.
>>
>>341033886
He is just stupid. I replay the game every year or so and aside from graphics and some minor outdated things in the fighting system, it still holds up.
>>
>>341028727
I still enjoy playing Symphonia.
>>
>>341034591
The graphics are improved a lot in the HD edition.

I'm going to buy the PC version after my exams are over. Hopefully most of the bugs are patched out.

The original graphics looked good for 2003.

Free-running would have been nice. Your companions can do it, but you can't. But it was the first 3D one, so I can forgive it.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.