[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>only 1 million copies sold on all systems I'm worried
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 25
File: 1460744761053.png (439 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
1460744761053.png
439 KB, 400x500
>only 1 million copies sold on all systems
I'm worried D44mbros, I thought this game was a smash hit... Bethesda told me so...
>>
>>340986145
B-b-b-but Denuvo protects Doom from pirates, why are only one million buying the game?

C-c-could it be, that Denuvo won't rescue the gaming industrie? Could it be, that pirates aren't the reason for so little sales? Could it be, that pirates are the reason, that a game gets publicity and pushes therefore the sales? Could it be, that pirates buy the game later, after they see how good the game is?
>>
>>340986794
>Could it be, that pirates are the reason, that a game gets publicity and pushes therefore the sales?

Pirate delusion at its finest
>>
>>340986794
Those are a lot of conclusions to be jumping to
>>
File: ha.jpg (23 KB, 280x350) Image search: [Google]
ha.jpg
23 KB, 280x350
>>340986145
>>only 1 million copies
jesus
its only 1 000 000 copies guys
>>
>>340986794
yeah ok
>>
>>340986145

That's a shame if there's seriously only been a mil sold, considering that the game's singleplayer is great
>>
File: 1422595691147.jpg (36 KB, 374x354) Image search: [Google]
1422595691147.jpg
36 KB, 374x354
Why the hell did they release the same month as Uncharted 4 and Overwatch? Would've sold much more if it came out in April.
>>
>>340986794
Or it could be that Halo kiddies have no interaction with the series other than 3 and don't want to be tricked into buying something related to it.
>>
>>340986145
Must be the piracy cutting into sales again.
>>
>>340987281

There wasn't a Friday the 13th in April
>>
>>340986145
if they add more weapons to single player I may go back into it but right now the multiplayer is ass what happened to them revamping it?
>>
>>340986794
Giving yourself a lot of credit there, retard.
>>
1 million is a disappointment

But it probably made its money back so it's not exactly a failure either.
>>
File: 1456874085872.jpg (73 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
1456874085872.jpg
73 KB, 604x453
>>340986145
Bethesda probably fired the entire marketing team for DOOM given how horrible a fucking job they did and are now kicking themselves over the loss of potential sales. Seriously, it's because the game was horribly marketed. The game ended out being fucking great but no one wanted to touch it because of how bad a job they did.
>>
>>340987318
>even to this day Doom fans are blaming their series' problems on Halo
>>
>>340987594
Fucking this you stupid niggers. The marketers need to be lynched for that level of incompetence.
>>
>>340987114

desu I have no sense of proportion when it comes to vidya. /v/ will be gloating or jeering with delight over something that sold thousands to a million and it all sounds like big numbers to be. Got no idea how much different genres cost to make.
>>
Is this game worth 44 bucks physical on PS4? Thinkin bout buyin it on amazon. Downloading the demo rn
>>
>>340987794
Confirmed Halo kiddie
>>
Everyone is sick of shitty remakes/remasters.

How about make something original you fucks
>>
I forgot I got this game. I still need to go beat it. There's no different endings with the secrets/collectibles found right? Just want some demon killing fun for a first run through.
>>
It has 600k copies on Steam according to Steamspy. Only 400k on consoles?
>>
I will never buy a un-piratable game. EVER
>>
I'd totally buy it, but my computer is shitty and consoles are cancer
>>
>>340988115

But it's not a remake, if you play the game at all and read the in-game logs and shit it's clearly a sequel to Doom64.
>>
>>340988045
It's worth full price so fucking snatch it up.
>>
>>340988045
I'd say 30 is better.
>>
The beta was absolute dogshit so the only people left were those who wanted to spend 60 dollars on single player.

personally I'm waiting for someone to make a wubless soundtrack for it. not dealing with that BWAAAAAAAHM fart garbage, game should have had metal.
>>
>>340988045
>If for console
Target is going to be running a sale on Doom and Dark souls 3. I think it starts this week.
>>
WHY WONT THE STEAM DEMO PAGE LOAD UP
>>
>>340987794
the remake's MP was closer to halo than doom so there is backing to their claim
>>
>>340989142
Its up
>>
>>340986145
Is it cracked already?
>>
File: 1462901273578.jpg (86 KB, 500x620) Image search: [Google]
1462901273578.jpg
86 KB, 500x620
>>340986145
Maybe it's just a shit game

>Check out the "map maker"
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss8SyOhqk1I
>>
How do we save it, D44mbros?
>>
>>340986794
t. Brazilian
>>
>>340989189
i think that this also hurt the game a little bit. The multiplayer beta wasn't an actual representation of what was good about the game, the single player. Also no review copies given out was a huge mistake, if you had people looking at the game ahead of time to give it good praise it would have been in a better spot.
>>
>>340989336
are you sure you can even get to the page? keep getting errors
>>
>>340989815
see
>>340987594
>>
>>340989650
The original '100,000 Revenants' was nowhere near possible on 1994 hardware on the unmodded Doom 2 engine.
>>
>>340989336
I keep getting error 310
>>
>>340990096
this fucking sucks
>>
File: New Doom in nutshell - d4.jpg (140 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
New Doom in nutshell - d4.jpg
140 KB, 500x500
>>340986145
Unlike the most blind followers of Todd, and gullible oldfags who'd lowered their guards AND standards in the past 10 years of casual shit, fairly many people already called all D44M's shenanigans long before the game was even released. The early leak footage only confirmed all the early fears, and the post-release material obviously was just the final nail.

Sorry, but D44M is consolized mess. It's not Doom.
It tries to look and "act" like a Doom, but fails terribly at it by falling back to literal internet memes.

The fact that the game also plays like some fucking "Brutal PainKiller RPG" only makes me more sick.
>>
>>340990529
guy you replied to, it just started working for me for no reason

maybe it was traffic, IDK
>>
doom demo finally working on steam
>>
>>340990629
In your opinion, what made Doom 1/2/64 good?
>>
>>340990038
It sure as hell had more then 12 demons alive and more then a 64 demon limit. It's fucking trash

You think a company would improve on a free program like doom builder. This snapmap is a shit addon they tried to get modders and map makers into using. Makes me wonder how modifiable the engine and multiplayer is with Denuvo
>>
>>340986914
It has been proven true though
>>
>>340990038
That's not really the point tho'. A single map in original, vanilla Doom could have way more enemies on the screen at once, than what the nu-Doom can have SPAWNED at once.

Also, Croteam has already proven that having several dozens, actually hundreds of AAA quality, 3D modeled enemies on the screen, and maintaining good framerate with current hardware, has been more than possible for years now.

>>340990849
>In your opinion, what made Doom 1/2/64 good?
-tight, innovative and well paced map design,
-resource management in said maps,
-varied enemy types, with clear visual and behavioral differences,
-that asked you to use your well balanced arsenal smart as well,
-no cinematics during the gameplay, whatsoever,
-good art-style and audiowork was the cherry on the top.
>>
File: photo_2016-06-09_19-51-46.jpg (18 KB, 369x340) Image search: [Google]
photo_2016-06-09_19-51-46.jpg
18 KB, 369x340
>Yfw the marketing team did such a shit job that Bethesda has to release a demo so people will realize the game is nothing like the marketing portrayed it to be

Lol, I hope their marketing careers are over and they don't get hired for shit anywhere else, the incompetence is astronomical how bad they did.
>>
File: 1460759772131.jpg (55 KB, 679x631) Image search: [Google]
1460759772131.jpg
55 KB, 679x631
>Tfw still can't pirate it
I will never relinquish a single shekel.
>>
>>340991171
People who fall for the marketing this day and age are just fucking embarrassing.

The people like me, who took all the given information and footage, analyzed it all, and made some safe assumptions using both past experiences and examples with similar games / said studio, already knew what we were getting, long before the release:

A lukewarm turd, that could be made into pure gold with such minor tweaks and additions of basic features, such as mod SDK.

Also, let's not pretend this did not happen. Beth-fucks are literally the cancer.
>>
>>340987594
>>340987897
How did the markers for this game fuck up?
>>
File: 1410901544301.png (100 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1410901544301.png
100 KB, 250x250
So I don't know if 1 million is considered a success, a failure, or "so-so" without context. Did they recoup the development costs? If the game really didn't sell well, I'll buy it now at full price. I was going to wait until the Steam summer sale.

These old school style FPS are my favorite games, I've played almost every single release in the genre, and pretty much nobody makes them anymore. It honestly makes me kind of sad.

They poured themselves into making this game, and they did a damn good job based on what I've heard (and the bit I've played.) I want people to keep making these kinds of games.

>>340990629
So I obviously haven't done a full playthrough but I played through a level with my brother and I thought the game looked fucking awesome. And it was fun. It doesn't need to be an exact duplicate of Doom 1/2 to be fun.

>>340986794
I'm not a fan of DRM either but I doubt any DRM is to blame, and I seriously doubt most people who pirate their games go on to buy it.

Hardly anyone who is actually capable of software development (!) wants to work in the gaming industry because the work conditions fucking blow. I'm a programmer and the work in other fields is easier and pays more. If people don't pay for their fucking games, they'll stop being made. That's just the facts.
>>
>>340986145

Game sold 600k on Steam, not counting physical copies on PC.

600k on PS4 and 300k on Xbox.

That's 1.5 million, not 1 million.
>>
>>340987947
60 bucks per copy, 1 million units = 60 million made.
>>
>>340992226
I have a feeling that "Physical Copies" are just a Steam Download. It's been done before, and the game is 50+ GB and you can't fit that on a DVD.
>>
>>340992060
Literally showcased all console footage and the official gameplay trailers had the "cinematic walk" syndrome. It seemed to inply that the new doom was slower than ever when in fact it's extremely fast paced and frentic.
>>
>>340986145
>Put out an open beta for the dogshit multiplayer weeks before release

>Put out a demo for the far superior campaign weeks after

This is seriously some of the most backwards thinking I ever experienced.
>>
>>340992103
>So I don't know if 1 million is considered a success, a failure, or "so-so" without context.
For a huge AAA studio like Bethesda, anything short of 10M is a catastrophe. The game budgets of such studios hover around in several DOZENS of Millions of dollars these days, big chunk going to marketing alone.

>These old school style FPS are my favorite games
That's the thing, and the sad joke:
Doom is "oldschool" only on paper. If you like the sound of literally being stopped every 5 seconds to watch a pre-recorded animation of your character punching a demon to pieces (said action which restores your HP and ammo), the other time being spent looking for these obligatory "combat arena rooms" you get locked into, over and over again...with some obligatory first-person platforming and upgrade-tree filling somewhere in between... then I guess D44M is the game for you.

>It doesn't need to be an exact duplicate of Doom 1/2 to be fun.
It doesn't, but the devs could've instead taken a look at the 1990's classic shooters in general, and see how they operated. D44M as it is just gets very tedious and repetitive towards the end, and its MP + SnapMap elements are just terrible. Period.
>>
>>340992060
for months before release they ONLY showed console footage. they ONLY showed multiplayer footage. they HIGHLIGHTED shit like loadouts and gore and that was fucking all. the first video we got of doom on pc was from nvidia which also while looked faster, looked like they just pulled a quake player who didn't know how doom 4 played at all, and made him play for a camera. this video also made people paranoid because it was one of the latter levels where all weapons were already unlocked so everyone started thinking, like multiplayer, there were no weapon pickups
>>
problems with doom 2016 in general (PC):
* denuvo prevents meaningful modding, so nothing to keep people interested
* snapmap has shitty limits, making it difficult to implement interesting maps
* the campaign is fun, but after two playthroughs for me I was done, there's nothing I would get out of playing again, I already know where everything is anyway
* no sdk of any sort so you can't make truly custom content, campaigns etc, can't even string together several separate maps as a "set" in snapmap either
* the MP is pretty mediocre, obviously little testing for balance was done as the chaingun just rules everything
* no anti-cheat whatsoever so there is plenty of cheaters about
* PC version shares the same stupid snapmap limits as the consoles for "equality" reasons, fuck equality, PC should get to attempt running it regardless
* PC version uses your steam download location to group you with people in and only in your region, so if you're in an area with few players, tough luck, you will not be able to find any other players

it's sad because the game looks great and if it had a proper sdk for making maps and other modifications and snapmap had recommendations not limits it could be great

but right now after I beat it twice on a harder difficulty and trying MP for like 3 games I just stopped, there's nothing else to play
>>
>>340992341
Except the 30% that goes to retailers and then there's taxes and maybe royalties to third parties. So it's not 60 million 'made'. More like in the ballpark of 30. And that's for the publisher and developer combined. Depending on the contract they have the developers could be getting peanuts and barely enough to cover costs
>>
Game is at over 2m on consoles alone..
>>
>>340992898
Am I the only person on this planet who didn't give a fuck about the "speed" of the videos and such, and instead focused solely on the gameplay mechanisms and visual design in whole?

Sure, the nu-Doom is slow as snail in comparison to anything from 90s, but when devs praise things like the upgrade systems (in plural) and how they don't want players to be lost in the maps so they give them "gentle hints" (the key to the locked door standing right next to said door is a "gentle hint"?), I knew it was going to be shit. The very first trailer showing the Chainsaw being downgraded into one-hit killing cinematic toy and weapons sounding like complete toys didn't help my expectations either. And the final game was not improved one bit in my eyes.
>>
>>340992382
Yes, to some extend. Only one DVD is in the box and you have to download the other 45 Gbs from Steam.
>>
>>340986794
>C-c-could it be, that Denuvo won't rescue the gaming industrie?
That's indeed the case.
>Could it be, that pirates aren't the reason for so little sales?
That's right, they aren't.
>Could it be, that pirates are the reason, that a game gets publicity and pushes therefore the sales?
No, that's not the case at all.
>Could it be, that pirates buy the game later, after they see how good the game is?
Anon, you can count the times this has happened outside of >=75% sales with one hand, and at that point the game's life already ran its course as far as publishers are concerned.
>>
I was going to buy it but it's $100 NZD and the season pass is another $74. Fuck that.
>>
>>340993407
it was more enjoyable than what it was portrayed as. it isn't about "MUH SPEED" but rather instead of highlighting good points like marketing should do they showed only the bad
>>
>>340986145
Source: your ass
>>
>>340992898
>for months before release they ONLY showed console footage
This is the case with almost every FPS since the X360 era started.

Publishers fear showing K&M footage in marketing and trailers will make console players think they can get that level of accuracy, reaction and response times with a fucking gamepad then complain once they get the game and realize that wasn't the case at all.
Also one of the reasons why every game revealed at E3 is run on a PC but using a gamepad (The other is actually having a dude on stage playing or pretending to play)
>>
File: doom pre.png (298 KB, 694x695) Image search: [Google]
doom pre.png
298 KB, 694x695
>$80 USD for a game from a piece of shit company.

Pass.
>>
>>340994393
>he's a Canadian cuck
>>
File: doom.png (51 KB, 448x696) Image search: [Google]
doom.png
51 KB, 448x696
>>340986145
I know it's far from peak hours but those are a lot of shit games with more players. I'm so glad I don't buy flavor of the month shooters anymore.
>>
>>340993507
Never seen a game doing that. It's either full game on discs plus the code to link to some distribution system (GTAV was six DVDs, and a decade ago we got things like UT2k4 on 6 CDs), or the code alone.

Since Blu-Ray will never become standard on PC, slips of paper with a printed code is going to be in 99% of AAA retail releases.
>>
>>340990038
Fair enough. Give me the fucking option to mod this shit so I can add 100,000 Revenants then. After all Carmack didn't give a damn, released his source code, and that made his game timeless.
>>
>>340994531
>he's a Canadian cuck

Australian cuck, you stupid cunt.
>>
>>340994531
>USD
>Canadian
>>
>>340986914
If you make quality products that are easy to get people won't pirate, simple as that. I never pirate because I'm not poor and I can get any game I want with a few clicks, but I don't do that with shit like DOOM.
>>
I finally beat it today. Really amazing game. Best FPS I've played in years for sure.

>>340990629
>internet memes
what the fuck? I did not notice a single one. Did we play the same game?
>>
>>340994635
8000 is really good considering nothing else even similar has half the fanbase
>>
>>340994878
>what the fuck? I did not notice a single one. Did we play the same game?

There's arrow to the knee shit and Skyrim references I think.

But these days ANYTHING remotely resembling a joke or easter egg is now a "Meme".
>>
>>340992060
>before the game came out everyone was shitting on it
>after it came out we were all pleasantly surprised at how good it was

GEE I WONDER IF THE MARKETING LEFT SOMETHING TO BE DESIRED???
>>
>>340993052
>* the campaign is fun, but after two playthroughs for me I was done, there's nothing I would get out of playing again, I already know where everything is anyway

You mean you played through the fun campaign not once but TWICE and still complain? Most games you beat once and say "that was neat" and then move on. How high are your expectations that you expect to have some massive pool of entertainment per game you play? For most people 1 enjoyable single player campaign run is enough to justify a purchase.
>>
>>340986145
VG Chartz has PS4/XBONE physical copies (not the keyword PHYSICAL) is just south of a million. Factor in Steam copies and PSN/XBL copies, you're at two million minimum.

Also, 1 million copies is not shabby for a game that languished in development hell for as long as Doom. Check the sales on the equally ill-fated Homefront sequel and see the difference.
>>
>>340994878
>what the fuck? I did not notice a single one.
The whole game's overall design is a sign of that.

The whole focus on "RIP & TEAR", which is literally an old Doom meme, originating from the rare, never released Doom comics.

The fact that Bethesda even believes that OG Doom games were about rushing into enemy mobs and beating them to pulp with fists shows that they have never touched a single Doom game.
>>
>>340994204
Finally somebody questions the op
>>
>>340988045
Rented it via Redbox on PS4. I could see myself paying $20 $25 tops for the game on PC of course. The campaign was better than what I expected. Can't say much of the multiplayer as I didn't touch it. No need to pay full price for the game as the campaign won't have much replay after the first two or three (if that) runs.

Just be patient and save some money.
>>
>>340995176
>Most games you beat once and say "that was neat" and then move on
Not him, but I hate such games. Majority of my entire library have at least some form of replayability, be it either alternative story or gameplay elements, or just enjoyable game mechanics in general.

To me, the original Doom is still a total blast to go back to on yearly basis, all because of its tight design and satisfying gameplay.
>>
Mustards didn't want to buy it because the beta was horribad and the single player footage we saw was garbage

Consoletards I don't know but who the fuck would buy an FPS on a console?

This is one of those times where DRM ruined a release. If pirates had gotten the word of mouth around faster about single player being good people would have been more inclined to buy it.
>>
File: that's one doomed space marine.jpg (98 KB, 600x783) Image search: [Google]
that's one doomed space marine.jpg
98 KB, 600x783
>>
>>340995247
>The fact that Bethesda even believes that OG Doom games were about rushing into enemy mobs and beating them to pulp with fists shows that they have never touched a single Doom game.

That's weird, I could of sworn that people always bragged about DOOM guy being so awesome because of that very reason and thats why the original DOOM games were so popular.
>>
>>340994651
Damn shame...I have a Blu-Ray drive on my PC just because it was only ten more bucks than a standard DVD-Drive on Amazon. Never used it once thus far for Blu-Ray content, but I can envision an alternative present were Doom came to me on a single disc with the original Doom/Doom II/ BFG thrown in.

This would especially help those with shit internet or data caps. I have 200 mbs/sec cable but a 400 GB/month cap. Doom was 50 ish GB which was a bit rough.

>gotta download my gbs of wrestling and pornography after all.
>>
>>340995028
Skyrim reference?

I missed that, and I played most levels at least twive. So there was 1 hidden meme joke and people complained?

>>340995247
I just beat Doom 1 and 2 prior to playing the new one and don't agree at all with you. Sure a lot of Doom was strafing around corners and bullets but a lot was also gratuitous ripping and tearing and chainsawing. Hell Doom 2 has a level full of barons of hell and 1 invincibility power up in the middle, as if the game is telling you "rush into this enemy mob and beat them into a pulp."
Seems you are just looking for things to complain about.

>>340995449
I get that, but you have to admit getting more than 1 enjoyable playthrough of a FPS game in 2014+2 is super rare. I think Doom deserves some praise for that.
>>
>Almost no real marketing
>1 million

They still made a profit. Despite what contrarian faggots on /v/ want to say about people praising it being shills Betheshda obviously didn't spend a shit ton to market it.
>>
>>340995495
...or you know, the glowing professional reviews and Twitter chatter worked as well. Bought myself the deluxe edition after seeing the handful of gaming press members I trust (primary GB) digging it hard.
>>
>>340994906
I dunno man, that's peak not even a month after launch and there are plenty of older games with far higher numbers.
>>
>>340994635
Probably true---Doom's MP is pretty basic. It's the campaign that was the hook and most people have likely finished it. We'll likely see a huge spike with the first sale.
>>
>>340995830
>plenty of older games with far higher number
like what? reminder that the genre is arena fps. reflex has 30 players max. unreal tournament 4 has 100 players max. quake live, 300 peak hours global
>>
File: 1404933836608.jpg (230 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1404933836608.jpg
230 KB, 1280x720
>>340992801
>For a huge AAA studio like Bethesda, anything short of 10M is a catastrophe. The game budgets of such studios hover around in several DOZENS of Millions of dollars these days, big chunk going to marketing alone.
I can believe this, I'd just like more detail. On Wiki it says the game was the second best selling title for it's release month (behind Uncharted,) and that it sold better than Doom 3. It doesn't say anything about the sales being a catastrophe.

Also, I might be wrong about this, but I think PC sales stretch out over the months more than console games. PC gamers are more savvy about sales, and they actually get real sales unlike console gamers, so a lot of them are going to wait.

>Doom is "oldschool" only on paper.
I don't know. I get what you're saying about the kill animations, but I thought the game was fast paced, and all around fun, in the level I played with my brother. I got that old school feeling (granted, with some diversions that felt unnecessary, but not painfully so.) It was fun.

>It doesn't, but the devs could've instead taken a look at the 1990's classic shooters in general, and see how they operated. D44M as it is just gets very tedious and repetitive towards the end, and its MP + SnapMap elements are just terrible. Period.
I'll have to play it through before I can really say anything about this. To be honest though I never cared for Doom's multiplayer, or even Quake's. I always liked Unreal for MP. I doubt I will like the MP no matter what they did with it.
>>
>>340988207
And you wont play un-piretable game. EVER
>>
File: that is none of my concern.jpg (107 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
that is none of my concern.jpg
107 KB, 500x600
>>340995662
>Seems you are just looking for things to complain about.
Nope. There's just so much more to what made DooM and the -likes so good back in the days, than the "lots of ennemys & ripping 'em fast!" that Todd so proudly claimed them to been about. That's just taking the typical forms of action you perform in the game, while totally ignoring the context and design of everything else around.

I'd suggest looking up the Game Maker's Toolkit channel's video called "learning of Doom", and the CynicalBrit's "Have SP FPS games gone backwards" from 2012. These two combined should explain quite well what nu-Duum is lacking, besides the SDK that is.

>>340995662
>I get that, but you have to admit getting more than 1 enjoyable playthrough of a FPS game in 2014+2 is super rare.
That does not matter to me one bit.
It's exactly the kind of sub-human peasants with such thoughts that praise the shit like nu-Duum and Wolf:TNO now.

I played the BLOOD for the first time just couple months ago, and loved it. Definitely gave me my oldschool shooter fix, and made nu-Duum look extra shit in comparison. Before that, it was Serious Sam 3, which people seem to have totally ignored at the time, with some purist hating it for the stupidest shit.

The earlier mentioned titles + numerous unrelated games of other kinds have kept my love towards gaming alive and well through all these years. At times, I feel like some entitled richfag, staring down to the ghetto of consolitis casual market from the safety of my tower, except my "tower" is just my own pride and honor keeping me from investing any time or money into pure shit everyone already knows to be nothing but feces.

It's also ironic, that I jokingly thought some years ago, that the big gamedevs would first streamline the fuck out of their games, only to later re-introduce old gameplay mechanisms, even entire IPs, as the latest, most innovative shit.
And waddyanow, that shitplan's actually unfolding in front of my eyes now!
>>
>>340989389
No,no,no...no,no... But someday... maybe ? hopefully ?
>>
File: 1464529256280.jpg (29 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
1464529256280.jpg
29 KB, 255x255
>>340992060
Bullet notes:
Most in game footage was Multiplayer
Most Single player footage they showed was CGI trailers that were very slow moving and implied the game was very cinematic focused
The final cover/ad art was as generic as you could get
They pushed the MP in ads and marketing way to hard
They launch it in a bad month where to much competition is out just to say they released it on Friday the 13th even thought most would agree either a Halloween launch date or original Doom's launch date (December 10th) would have made more sense for a million reasons
>>
>>340995176
Beat it once on whatever they label normal as, then once on Ultra Nightmare (might be wrong, I can't remember, second to last hardest difficulty).

First time was okay, but the low difficulty made it incredibly easy. Ultra Nightmare was better and felt challenging but not overly annoying.
>>
>>340995662
>I get that, but you have to admit getting more than 1 enjoyable playthrough of a FPS game in 2014+2 is super rare. I think Doom deserves some praise for that.
Original poster you replied to here.

Doom getting an extra playthrough isn't anything special. With the exception of some games I usually play through most games once on the normal difficulty than the/a harder one.
>>
>>340991420
play the free demo mang
>>
>>340997306
that's simply Nightmare.

UN is 1 life only, death taking you to the beginning of the entire game.

>>340997420
Stop trying to masquerade as me, thanks.
You did pretty much sum up my words. Games like Doom, however, I usually start straight with "Hard".
>>
>>340986794
/thread

first post proving of being the best post, yet again.
>>
>>340989650
FUCKING CALLED IT !!!
12 demons... what a bullshit. I said on previous threads that trailers never show more then 5 enemies on the screen at a same time. But fucking 12 is a limit ??? Since i called shits, and didnt buy it, could any "wanna be hardcore" that defends this tell me what was the most epic fight he had in this game.
>>
>>340997025
you talk like a fag
>>
File: 1368253053620.gif (834 KB, 400x226) Image search: [Google]
1368253053620.gif
834 KB, 400x226
>>340998262
You talk like an uneducated child, still living off his parents.
>>
>>340998419
>that projection
>>
>>340990862
you are right, it has a 128 enemy limit with fucking sprites and an ai that moves forward and shoots missiles and thats all
>>
>>340987594
Put down that knife kitty. It's not a toy.
>>
>>340998183
Welcome to the club, bro.
I tried to warn people, but apparently the majority of this planet's population can't seem to can't see the wood for the trees, or rather, vise-versa in this case.

The combat arena rooms are so common in D44M, because it's an easy way of making the impression of fighting "hordes of hell". In reality, the maps are pretty much empty at first.
All those "cinematic" door-cranking and elevator sitting sequences also work as fancy ways of masking the section loading times.
>>
>>340994797
You're retarded, simple as that
>>
>>340995707
Many people on /v/ are retards. There are people here who think the Warcraft movie was a flop.
>>
>>340986145
Hasn't this same game been made like 3 times already? Boring ass game for serial killers anyway
>>
>>340986145
It sold more than overwatch in may. Was 2nd behind uncharted 4.
>>
>>340998792
So the common sense is still not my superpower. It is actually common as the name implies.

But this whole thread is presented like "doom4 is great game and it only sold 1 mil !".
1 million is a lot; maybe they didnt sold as many copys as they could by milking the established franchise, but is still a lot.
Doom4 is shit on account that it did not grasp one of main mechanics of the game and atmosphere it created.
>>
File: DOOM PC vs SNES.png (170 KB, 1131x400) Image search: [Google]
DOOM PC vs SNES.png
170 KB, 1131x400
>>340999742
once again, we can safely point our fingers towards the consoles, and our dear Bethesda swearing on their tradition to make their games "equal", according the specs of the weakest link in the current console generation.

It's also sad to see the nu-ID be on their leash, and clearly lack any kind of design skills and pure balls when it comes to designing fun games.

And sure, I'd be dancing in joy if my game would sell a million, but you can try to look up that one old article about how even some ~10Mil sold copies was not enough for CoD developers to get even their own money back from the project.
>>
File: 1401454152543.jpg (2 MB, 2352x3450) Image search: [Google]
1401454152543.jpg
2 MB, 2352x3450
>>340986794
>>340997707
People steal when it's easy. There's a ton of fuckmunks in this thread alone indicating as such.

Look, I don't advocate DRM. But I understand why the industry moved to DRM. I think a lot of people sitting at home kind of lose sight of the fact that they are paying hundreds/thousands of people to work on these games. That labor is not cheap. They've already squeezed all the fucking blood out of that stone they can. The labor cannot get any cheaper.

The gaming industry fucking blows to work in. If you're a programmer, there are absolutely zero logical or financial reasons to work in the gaming industry. I have a comfy, easy job making web services that pays about three times what I would be making if I were programming games. Not only that, if I were making games, I'd be asked to do OT on the regular instead of once a year.

I love games, but I don't love them enough to totally trash my finances and my health in order to be making them. And that's what a shitload of people in the industry are effectively doing. The only reason to work in the game industry as a developer is if you're basically obsessed with making games.

And even with all the financial and time pressures put on the devs, a lot of games simply don't end up being profitable. It's not like most software development roles where everything is contracted months in advance and aggregate payment is decided before a single line of code is written. Sometimes shit just flops and everyone gets fired.

I'm trying to provide an inkling of insight into why people should just buy their fucking games. If someone is pirating on the regular, they're flushing the industry down the toilet, and they're causing legitimate financial harm to a bunch of (largely) middle class guys who are already working total shit jobs for no reason other than they love what they're doing. So the cheeky pirate fucks in here should maybe reconsider, but they won't.
>>
>>340987594
>marketers do a good job at promoting a game
>game turns out to be shit
>marketers do a bad job at promoting a game
>game turns out to be good

What the fuck.
>>
File: what game is this.jpg (90 KB, 578x648) Image search: [Google]
what game is this.jpg
90 KB, 578x648
>>341000997
>marketers do shit job at promoting their game
>game turns out to be shit
that's how it went for D44M in my case.
>>
>>340999553
To be fair, that was according to NPD numbers and Bizzard doesn't release sales figures of their direct downloads. So that figure was not including all of the PC sales though Battlenet. Since PC was easily 75% of this games market, we can assume that number is severely handicapped. Overwatch was really probably #1 last month. Easily.
>>
File: map1.gif (23 KB, 561x515) Image search: [Google]
map1.gif
23 KB, 561x515
>>340999471
i'm damn well aware this is a shitpost, but now's as good a time as any to point out that the original doom practically gave birth to the modding scene
>>
>>340999553
>it sold more than overwatch

only physical sales

Overwatch has had over 7million players either way.
>>
>>340986794
>B-b-b-but Denuvo protects Doom from pirates, why are only one million buying the game?
A fair thing to note.

>C-c-could it be, that Denuvo won't rescue the gaming industrie? Could it be, that pirates aren't the reason for so little sales?
Probably.

>Could it be, that pirates are the reason, that a game gets publicity and pushes therefore the sales? Could it be, that pirates buy the game later, after they see how good the game is?
Are you retarded?
>>
>>341001476
>Are you retarded?
Not that guy but I do that. I pirate games I am on the edge about and buy them if I like them after I play them for a while. Blame developers for not releasing demos and showing accurate representation of their games, anymore.
>>
>>340989808
last time i checked it was chinks that cracked games m8
>>
File: 1394020838659.jpg (87 KB, 500x671) Image search: [Google]
1394020838659.jpg
87 KB, 500x671
>>340990629
>PainKiller

Holy shit I didn't even think about this.

D44M is fucking PainKiller ripoff with Halo multiplayer.
>>
>>340998419
>>340997025
how's that superiority complex treating your social life?
>>
>>340997025
Anon, I haven't played any of these games. I was pretty curious to see some input about them. However, I can tell for certain that you are a massive faggot and should really reevaluate the self-importance and satisfaction you seem to get from arguing about taste.
>>
>>341002512
>implying a complex

A complex would imply they're delusional.

There's nothing delusional about understanding how much of a blatant pump-in-dump cash-cow D44M is.

I'm sorry you consider "having standards" a complex.

Come to think of it, I don't think anyone that was proven they have shitty standards tries to argue against it. They simply dismiss "having standards" entirely as a buzzword and then resorts to nothing but ad hominem.

Like this>>341002693

>liberals
>>
File: 1355050074533.jpg (49 KB, 354x352) Image search: [Google]
1355050074533.jpg
49 KB, 354x352
Because it's good.
Normalfags don't like good games, especially poorly marketed ones.
>>
>>341003404
anon, you directed people to watch a Total Biscuit video. I really think you should stop and reflect.
>>
>>340986145
The problem is that it's $80+tax here in Canada.

I'm never going to pay that fucking much for one vidya holy shit.
>>
>>341003912
I paid 200 for mine.
>>
>>340986145
Denuvo killed it.
>>
>>341000850
Preaching to the choir... well not exactly since we got this thread.

But fuck that pc vs snes outdated pic, there are perfect modern examples. Fallout 4 is 30fps game ! If you change games .ini files to max out the fps the game shits itself ie:
Lockpicks will turn at supersonic speed.
VAT killing hits will launch enemies into orbit (which is related to physics engine also being connected to the fps)
Frame drops when the game actually tries to handle more then a handfull physics objects.
Miniscule zones mapping that also bugs out when you enter intersections of 2 or more object intensive zones.
And now we got doom and its 12 enemies.

Since there were mid spec PC configurations 4 years ago that were better then this gen "entertainment systems" i am effectively plying 4< year old games.
And when they bitch about outdated fallout engine remember that that engine torments both hardware and soul of consoles.
>>
>make DOOM game
>outsource multiplayer to shitty halo devs
>it doesn't even have FFA Deathmatches or private matchmaking
>exclusively market the multiplayer
>make the only playable demo the goddamned multiplayer
wonder why your game sold like shit
>>
>>340988045
It's fucking good.
>>
File: 1465145807161.gif (1 MB, 472x407) Image search: [Google]
1465145807161.gif
1 MB, 472x407
>>341002512
>how's that superiority complex treating your social life?
Married, has friends, got a house. Shit job, but pays the bills. Got plenty of time for vidya and shitposting.

tl;dr: I win.

>>341003404
Thanks, broski!
>>
>>341003592
The biggest problem with modernday people seems to be the fact that nobody really cares WHAT is being said, instead they focus on WHO says it. The TB video mentioned earlier is a still relevant cut into the long-running problem of the entire FPS genre, no matter that the guy seemed to approve nu-Duum in his latest videos.

>>341004871
The pic really ain't outdated, when it's true.
You just seem to lack the skill of putting things into perspective and making the connection.

Still, the examples you gave are just one more reason I'm a big fan of studios like Croteam. Their games are always PC first, and boy is it always a glorious sight!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3OY0hDt5Sw
>>
fuck you cucks this is goty for me
>>
>>340986914
I don't understand. Are you people retarded? People who pirate games weren't gonna buy the games in the first place at all, and just because they can't pirate doesn't mean they are gonna buy it.
>>
>>340986794

C-could it be that you're projecting so fucking hard right now?
>>
That should be fine for a game like this right?

No excessive expensive voice acting, no excessive motion cap for cutscenes, just pure gameplay.

Honestly 1mil for a game like this should net them a decent profit.
>>
>>341008528

Shut the fuck up.

That's 100% bullshit.

Some people are certainly like that (like no one in third world countries is going to pay for a game, they can't). But if you can get the same experience by pirating a lot of people will elect to pirate and spend their money on some other game.

I won't lie. Me and my friends back in high school did this. When it came down to buying whatever 4 games we could get in a year, if we could pirate it and make it work, we would do that and pay for some other game that left us no option (mostly multiplayer).
>>
>>341008960
>That's 100% bullshit.
>Proceeds to post anecdotal evidence

Amazing. Absolutely mind-boggling.
>>
>>340994906
Black Ops 3 is right there with 13,000 players you dingus.
>>
>>340998567
Fucking this, kek.
>>340998183
They did show more than 5 at multiple ocassions.
12 is the snapmap limit, I don't know if that's true for the campaign.

In any case, new Doom's enemies are far more fun than a horde of shitty OG imps so whatever.
>>
>>340992751

You forgot the part where you only have 1 week to download it and try it before it is gone forever.

"Shareware", huh?
Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.