[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
On a scale of 1-10, how important is atmosphere/flavor to a game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: data.gif (317 KB, 316x231) Image search: [Google]
data.gif
317 KB, 316x231
On a scale of 1-10, how important is atmosphere/flavor to a game?
>>
>>340893708
I think it depends on the type of game and what you're playing it for.
>>
For all games

Gameplay>>>story>artstyle(atmosphere)=music>graphics
>>
>>340895693
>story second most important
>graphics least important

that literally makes no sense. you need good graphics to tell a good story.
>>
It's the most important thing. I usually say gameplay is but just look at Megaman Legends.
>>
>>
>>340896095
If you're a good storyteller, you could make a tearjerker out of a story that uses nothing but squares and triangles for the characters.
>>
Gameplay>Visuals>Sounds>Story
>>
Probably the most important thing after gameplay.
>>
>>340893708
Entirely depends on the genre.
horror/Metroidvania/Walking sims: 9/10
Immersive RPG: 7/10
For everything else, it isn't important at all, but COULD be a nice plus.
>>
>>340896095
No you don't. At all.
>>
>>340893708
Amazing how Data went from a save mechanic to an exposition bot by the end of the game.
>>
atmosphere helps a lot for story-oriented game, but itself cannot make a game good
>>
A shallow or flawed game can be carried to further success by its flavor than it would be if it had a different, more generic theme to it.
Game Dev Tycoon is the most recent example that comes to mind.
>>
>>340897949
It can give more incentive to play a game with mediocre gameplay though.
>>
>>340897901
He was giving exposition from when he was first introduced. He even warned against going into the Main Gate because he didn't want this to happen.
>>
>>
>>340893708
5 to 7 depending on kind of game
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.