[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is WoW the best game in a shit genre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 6
File: world of warcraft legion.jpg (534 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
world of warcraft legion.jpg
534 KB, 2560x1440
Is WoW the best game in a shit genre?
>>
yep
>>
>>340875993
id say so, i can log onto wow and have some decent fun, enjoy the world, all that, and when new expansions come out its always tons of fun
every other mmo i play the world feels bleak and dead, the soundtracks too, nostalgia or jew magic, wow has it and other mmos dont
>>
>>340875993
Yeah, It's still shit of course but yeah

But I've been playing on vanilla server lately and its genuinely good, it surprised me because I didn't start playing wow until wotlk. Not sure about buying legion considering kronos is fucking fun
>>
>>340875993
No but WoW made the genre shit
>>
>>340876905
>pre WoW mmos were good
okay liar
>>
>>340876503
Til Kronos becomes Blizz's next targeted hit.

>>340875993
Sadly it is. However as time has worn on the game's shittiest has only increased to the point where I don't have any feeling that I'm playing the same game.

Their penchant of reinventing the wheel every expansion and dropping interesting systems at the drop of a hat while keeping bullshit like mission tables only shows how much they're catering to the brain dead.

I have no investment in any of my characters and I have no incentive to do anything. Legion doesn't seem to improve any of this however, thanks to the artifact power weekly cap I keep hearing about, even though that doesn't matter as the weapons won't even be used outside Legion.
>>
Guess I'm playing wow then. I'm in Lisbon for a year and I'm looking for something to play. All other mmo's just feel boring and uninspired. Haven't tried FFX 14 yet though.
>>
>>340877108
>I'm underage so I've never heard of Ragnarok, FF XI, UO, Everquest, Anarchy or even Runescape
Educate yourself
>>
>>340877108
So this is the power...of neo-/v/...
>>
Maybe, I have trouble assigning a genre to it, though. After all, it certainly isn't an MMO or an RPG at this point. Some sort of "PvE MOBA"? I guess it might be the least bad.
>>
is there seriously any doubt that blizzard are actively shilling legion on /v/?
>>
>>340878141
Blizz has been actively shilling on /v/ for years.

They literally have customer surveys that ask where you get your gaming info/what communities do you frequent.

Guess what was in a drop down box?
4chan.org

I saw it when I quit Cata. How long ago is that now? 6 years?
>>
best game in the best genre, at one time. mmos are kill
>>
>>340877328
>ragnarok
>FF XI
>UO
>Everquest
>Anarchy
>Runescape
>playable
trash games, there was literally no point in playing them because they were so shit in comparison to normal games
there were no decent high production value mmos before WoW, and thats a fact, its why WoW even sold well. pretend all you want, but online point and click adventures is all those shit games were
>>
>>340877126
They won't have to hit Kronos, their own legacy servers will kill the private server market forever.
>>
>>340878539
Your taste is shit, don't ever reply to me again
>>
>>340878539
Hey kid. I think you got lost on your way to Reddit
>>
>>340878589
I'm still not so sure they're going to do it. The meetings and whatever haven't made me confident.
>>
>>340877328
Runescape is not nearly as good as the nostalgia factor leads you to believe. The quests are still GOAT, but the game is grindy as shit.
>>
>>340878665
>>340878703
>i know ill insult his taste and tell him to go to reddit because thats a top keke xd meme and he'll be destroyed lol loser
why in the fuck would i play any of those shit games when warcraft 3 exist?
>>
>>340878897
>but the game is grindy as shit.
It definitely is. But it's the only MMO to date to ever do quests and PvP right and when I say PvP I'm not talking about the game mechanics.
>>
Yep
>>
>>340879068
You're trying too hard to fit in.

Why the fuck would you even bring up WC3 in an MMO thread?
>>
Yes, it was good till the end of wrath and then it went to shit
>>
>>340879071
There was something very special about actually getting your opponents loot after you killed them
>>
>>340879191
Definitely. It's a simple mechanic but it made the PvP so great, no other MMO comes even close
>>
>>340879068
Because Warcraft 3 isn't an MMO retard

If you never played EQ or UO you shouldn't open your mouth about MMOs
>>
>>340879179
>end of Wrath
Nice try wrathbaby, but rehashing a full tier was already fucking awful
>>
>>340876364
I respect this quote "nostalgia or jew magic, wow has it and other mmos dont"
>>
>>340879415
Vanilla and TBC were my favorite, wrath just wasn't that bad
>>
>>340879160
my point was that the quality of mmos was so low before WoW that there was no point to play them, i mention warcraft 3 as a game of the same time as the """"games"""" you listed
when WoW came out its production value was high enough to make it stick unlike your listed """games""" and it brought the mmo genre to life
why the fuck would you even bring up your shit ad hominem argument in a X thread?
>>
>>340879335
everquest was trash, clicking on something for hours isnt engaging combat,
you're ignoring my entire argument on that WoW was the game that brought the mmo genre the ability to compete with other genres
there is no reason to play mmos before wow because better games exist like diablo 2 and warcraft 3
>>
>>340875993
I've been enjoying it these past few days. I often see it as a card game with all the cards being available at once, and each turn being based on the global cooldown.

It has a lot of depth if people actually look into it, and with the amount of time it's been around for the content it has is amazing.

My only gripe is how expensive it can turn out being, and you really need to be a social creature to get the most out of it.

If you're not a total social tard, and have a bit of expendable cash, then It's a brilliant game to play with friends.
>>
>>340879604
>>340879772
The blizzdrone delusion is too strong, it's like trying to argue with a feminist
>>
>>340879817
/thread
>>
WoW is definitely the most polished, it has great raids and looks good, but somewhere along the way all of the RPG elements have been stripped away and it's become an instanced content simulator where the world is just an oversized lobby.
>>
>>340879969
AD HOMINEM
D

H
O
M
I
N
E
M
>>
>>340879969
>im gonna label you with my meme term and completely ignore your argument
>le get destroyed kiddo
when the ad hominem is just right :^)
>>
>>340879503
I don't know why people see jew magic as a bad thing
if /pol/ is right and video games like wow are just used to occupy me and distract me so the jews can scheme and have a good time, then i'm having a good time, the jews are having a good time, everyone is happy. so long as the jews keep up their end of the deal, i for one welcome our jew overlords
>>
>>340880682
I'd rather Jews than Muslims. Although the over the top SJW shit in the newest edition of the Jewish Domination Handbook, is starting to wear thin.
>>
>>340880682
No I do respect the quote, m8.
>>
>>340875993
Nah man WoW died a long time ago, FFXIV is now the king of Themepark MMOs.
>>
>>340880903
i know what you mean, if jew overlords are in control of my happiness, id rather they keep me happy
>>
>>340881017
>around 500,000 active players at peak times
>4 million total registered accounts vs WoWs 200,000,000+
>king of themepark MMOs
LOL
>>
>>340881293
Don't kid yourself. WoW's subscriber amounts are so low nowadays that they are too embarrassed to even release them
>>
>>340881464
They make plenty of money.
>>
>>340881464
Yea but SE has never actually released FFXIV sub numbers. Ever.
>>
>>340881464
>wow subscriber counts are low during the trans-expansion content drought
WOW!
no shit its probably around 1 million
it dropped as soon as they gave a release date on legion because the people are waiting until then
>>
>>340875993
Sort of.
Nowadays, yes, it is the undisputed king.
There were better games before it though.
MMOs are weird in that they fit a specific niche that one or two games will dominate until they collapse for one reason or another.
>Why would I play Runescape if I could play Tibia?
>Why would I play Aion if I could play WoW?
Same argument really. There will not be another great MMO until WoW completely collapses.
>>
>>340881598
Of course.

They used to boast about their 12 million active players but the last numbers they released were something around 5 million and that was over a year ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the game had less than 3m at the moment.
>>
>>340881943
>wow sub counts are low during trans-expansion content drought and after the worst expansion the game has ever received
fascinating!
>>
WoW refined the genre, which I think lead to it's downfall. A lot of the fun with MMO's was they were really shit as actual games but the big communities made them fun, everybody created their own fun by exploiting the broken aspects of the games. A lot of the thing people enjoyed in vanilla was the broken aggro system and dragging elite monsters to Stormwind or finding places you could fall under the world.

Now that WoW and MMO's in general are more polished, everybody has started to realize that these games are actually really terrible. So ironically, being an actual game with goals and objectives not built by the community is what killed MMO's.
>>
>>340881293
WoW is a game only bots and nostalgia fags play anon, just let go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHeSHT2ZDnU
>>
File: wow.jpg (19 KB, 640x222) Image search: [Google]
wow.jpg
19 KB, 640x222
>>340882057
Who are you trying to quote?

The player numbers have steadily decreased since Wotlk. I wonder if Legion will be the final nail in the coffin
>>
The best MMORPG is Lord of the Rings Online, because it doesn't have automatic grouping, and it has the best storytelling in the genre.
>>
>>340882254
>over 1 million accounts have been banned for botting in the last year
LOL
>>340882371
its the biggest content drought we've ever seen in WoW, of course numbers are down, and of course numbers have steadily decreased since the game peaked
i doubt it will be the case with all the surrounding hype, but i hope WoW legion is the "final nail in the coffin" for wow, because then they will remove the monthly sub fee or even go f2p and the coffin will burst open and maybe even peak again, and maybe around 2025 we can see WoW finally "die" and the road will be open for the next great mmo
>>
>>340878589
They aren't going to make legacy servers, all these meetings is obvious PR smokescreen they have to create after the bad press they received for killing Nost
>>
>>340882829
wow, so that left them with 500k active players now?
LOL
>>
>>340882829
>because then they will remove the monthly sub fee or even go f2p and the coffin will burst open and maybe even peak again
Anon, don't fool yourself, if this goes f2p, yes it will peak but at what price? this will get floded with BRs and even more botting
>>
>>340883246
current numbers are estimated 2 - 3 million at least 1 million
LOL
>>
>>340881789
I logged in during peak hours this week and only two servers were High pop, rest medium and low

1 million sounds about right
>>
>>340883508
thats why id see the drop of the sub system far far far more likely than actually going f2p, it probably wont ever go f2p until its already dead, and if you've seen how pvp work in wow legion, there wont be botting, 1 item level has about 0.1% effect on your pvp effectiveness, and pvp gear is essentially gone, so there is no reason to grind for gear in pvp
anyways more bots = more bans
>>
>>340877126
Pretty sure Kronos is safe in Russia with Love.
>>
File: garona.png (976 KB, 1161x695) Image search: [Google]
garona.png
976 KB, 1161x695
I got on just to sit in a 13-minute queue for a random bg...and these niggas are going to milk blizzdrones with legion and still pay 15/mo to play when the game is dead because they know legion will sell probably 3 million copies easy
>>
>>340884040
battleground ques are longer in wod because of trashran,a good deal of people just play in trashran so you dont see as many in random bgs
legion = no trashran + population + new pvp progression system = way way more random bgs, theoretically and hopefully at least, it'll be like wrath all over again with the demon hunters fucking everywhere though
>>
>>340884040
>>340884446
Queues are fucked because most PvP comes from Alliance. Try the mercenary buff. Queues are almost instant.
>>
>>340884040
>sit in a 13-minute queue for a random bg

I never had a queue longer than 2 minutes in the last 3 months.
>>
>>340884524
Protip: you won't have your racial.
>>
>>340884524
i noticed way faster ques on my horde character, ill give that a try so i can play as alliance
but no op racial :(((
>>
>>340883595

They changed server population caps.
>>
>>340884040
Fucking christ, this looks like it could be out of some low budget parody film.
>>
File: Region-Revenue.png (362 KB, 1959x1135) Image search: [Google]
Region-Revenue.png
362 KB, 1959x1135
>>340881789
I wouldn't claim they have 1M on any single English-speaking region. Most of their players are apparently from Asia, and I'm sure it's always been this way.
>>
>>340884821
i really wish they just fucking spent the money on legion
i mean the new animations look great since they hired those disney shits to do them, so that's good but still, bigger budget bigger better expansion
>>
>>340883828
I'm going to give it some time before I jump in. I'm sure it's on their radar now, and with the vanilla hot debate going on, I'll wait and see for a couple months.
>>
>>340884987
>most of the worlds population is asia
>asia not so much money so must play f2p
of course, ever been on the illidan server? moon runes everywhere
>>
>>340885178
Except 70% of paid MMO revenue is also from Asia.
>>
>>340878539
WoW's entire selling point was that it was an easy mode MMO
>>
File: 1465395257768.png (131 KB, 353x334) Image search: [Google]
1465395257768.png
131 KB, 353x334
I'm going to be a blizzdrone and give them $75 so I can try Demon Hunter, then quit when Final Fantasy comes out

>I'm really wasting money since I only put about 24 hours into Draenor but fuck I want to play something, if demon hunter wasnt there I wouldnt buy it
>>
>>340878539
See >>340885445
All the vets from the older MMOs were tired of poop socking and jumped ship almost solely due to the instanced content, because at the time it was new.

The bottom of the barrel whom were playing digital dress up jumped because it was the easiest MMO at the time.

It's production values have nothing to do with why people jumped on board. It sold on word of mouth, IP namesake and company prestige. There's a reason why it's an aberration in the genre, it gobbled up market share they didn't even know existed then simultaneously cut off those whom kept MMOs growing until then.

Then Activision happened.
>>
Why is it that all dwarves in WoW have Scottish accents but suddenly in the movie they turned English?
>>
>>340886124
A game has to be decent for the popularity that WoW had, mostly Chinese subs or not. WoW is smooth, and the gameplay is well tuned.
>>
I wonder when the Legion pre-patch is coming. They tested it on the 10th.
>>
>>340880201
he's right though
we have a slew of fucknut kiddies coming into the genre who started with wow. they don't know deeper than shallow pick a talent systems, they don't know owpvp with consequences, they don't know meaningful crafting and community interdependence, they don't know their ass from a goddamn hole in the ground and shouldn't be allowed to discuss anything in mmorpg threads EVER. AGAIN.
>>
I know that wow was always about vertical progress, ie once an expansion came the older ones are meaningless, but was it always this bad? now only the last raid matter.
>>
>>340886312
>A game has to be decent for the popularity WoW had

Clearly we're from two different worlds. I'm not talking about WoW either. Plenty of shit games exist now that have more popularity than WoW did.
>>
>>340884987
>bigger revenue in europe than america
Really?
>>
>>340886726
And their controls are solid.
>>
>>340886670
The badge changes at the end of TBC + Magister's Terrace is what start the trend.

It got worse with Wrath and Cata with the patch catch up dungeons.

Now it's just out of hand.
>>
>>340886254
No one has an answer for this? Were they just afraid of getting called out on ripping off Gimli?
>>
>>340887854
Uh. Duncan Jones is British. So. That's all I got.

I mean isn't the one High Elf in the movie Asian? So..... Yea.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.