[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Question of Life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: freshkillerinstinct_1443064.png (430 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
freshkillerinstinct_1443064.png
430 KB, 650x366
In a fighting game, do you guys prefer a health system where your lifebar carries over to the next round, or one where both players get full health at the start of the next round?

I've been playing lots of Darkstalkers and Killer Instinct and personally I prefer their system. Otherwise, the damage you did in the previous round is just invalidated, rather than every hit mattering to the match as a whole.
>>
>>340844491

I don't play many fighting games and haven't seriously touched the genre in probably a decade, but I was always a fan of the damage carrying over between rounds, but with each player "healing" a small percentage of their health.

It always helped give the loser a fighting chance, but without completely invalidating the victors efforts.
>>
>>340845030
Yeah, that makes sense. In Darkstalkers, at least, a lot of attacks leave a little health that regenerates slowly over time (like red bar in Monster Hunter), so if at the end of the last round you had an exchange with your opponent before knocking them out, you could still regen a little of that health.
>>
File: image.jpg (212 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
212 KB, 1280x720
It isn't a bad system, but I don't like health carrying over. The loser should lose way they put in when the next round begins. That makes meter management more interesting, and encourages people taking interesting risks to close out a round.
>>
>>340844491
I prefer full health at the start of each round. It genuinely seems nonsensical to keep the winning player on what ever amount of health they had the last round. It's a best of 3 (in most cases), and if one player is ever at a disadvantage, you're not getting a good example of that.
>>
>>340844491
>do you guys prefer a health system where your lifebar carries over to the next round

Fuck no, who in their right mind would want this shit.

>both players get full health at the start of the next round

That is an infinitely better system in every conceivable way
>>
What is even the point of having two rounds if your health carries over?
>>
>>340846802
I agree, it's just more balanced that way. Getting a round is a very big victory so starting another round with the same amount of life keeps things fair.

Maybe it's because i play a fighting game with no meter but i just prefer it this way.
>>
>>340845346
>encourages people taking interesting risks to close out a round
this
>>
I really don't mind either.

Games that have persistent health across the match are usually balanced towards this.

Take KI for example, if you make some good reads and guesses you can dish out the full health bar in a matter of seconds.

This also makes comebacks even more hype.

But such system wouldn't suit something like Tekken when the game isn't that offensive.
>>
>>340846046
While I do kind of agree that keeping a level playing field is best, I'd also say that they aren't at that disadvantage by some inherent balancing issue with the game. They are at that disadvantage because they failed to block/account for attacks by the other player, or because at certain points in the match the other person played better than them. If you keep the health the same, you're accounting for both players which seems more fair to me.
>>
>It genuinely seems nonsensical to keep the winning player on what ever amount of health they had the last round

Why? If the person who lost allowed it, then the winning player deserves the advantage.
Makes things more intense and for every move you do to matter.
>>
>>340847093
>I agree, it's just more balanced that way.
>starting another round with the same amount of life keeps things fair.

Which makes the game much more enjoyable for everyone.
There is a reason why fighting games that gives players full health at the start of the round are much more popular and respected than games that don't.
>>
>>340848034
I haven't noticed that, the first time i really noticed the one health bar for two rounds was in Injustice but that game had more problems than just it's healthbar.
>>
Prefer a full restart, having health bars carry over is dumb because every game that does this is usually played in a best of 3 anyways. Might as well just double the health bar and make it 1 round at that point
>>
>>340848034
>are much more popular and respected than games that don't.
It's not really the case.

KI is really appreciated among fightan communities and the tournaments are always lively as well.

The games that either a) real good or b)muh legacy are more popular and the healthbar system has nothing to do with it.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.