[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that most games die off so quickly these days? They
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 21
File: div.png (167 KB, 680x265) Image search: [Google]
div.png
167 KB, 680x265
Why is it that most games die off so quickly these days?

They come out, sell insanely well and a couple of months later nobody gives a shit about them.
>>
>>340795129
Because of shill marketing leading to a surge in players through false advertising, then all the charm wares off and they realize its shit.
>>
Either the players get bored with it or something else new comes out. I don't play a game constantly personally, I do more of a rotation through my library.
>>
because the thrill of getting a new game is quickly eroded away as you try to unlock basic shit
>>
>tfw you bought a multiplayer game in the 00's and knew you would be playing it for years
>>
>>340795246
This. Generic AAA trash is designed to only sell for 2 weeks.
>>
too many entertainment choices now. everyone has ADHD
>>
Assuming you aren't trolling.

The average consumer is an idiot with terrible taste. They buy into pre-orders, DLC and anything the promos tell them is cool to have.

But even a moron won't have fun with a game that simply isn't good. They will on the other hand, keep going back for seconds no matter how many times they're tricked out of their money.

Normally, I wouldn't care about idiots losing their money but the amount these fools put into the industry tells big companies what they do is 'ok'. And that means we get more shit games.

And that's not fair.
>>
>>340795129
normies don't actually play games . and their playtime per week is alsmost unnoticeable
>>
>Ubishit marketing leads to loads of sales
>Typical shit Ubisoft game leads to players leaving

Mindnumbing how faggots fall for it every time
>>
>>340795129
People who actually care about videogames don't play these games. They are made for the lowest denominator scum, people who pick up dinner from Taco Bell and drop the last game they played after investing 5 hours at most to make way for the next full price AAA shitstain
>>
It's a very competitive market
>>
File: 1465439198707.jpg (64 KB, 599x546) Image search: [Google]
1465439198707.jpg
64 KB, 599x546
>>340795129
what's 93% of 1000 players?
>>
Because games really have gotten worse and marketing has gotten a lot better to compensate
>>
>>340795129
Shit gameplay?
>>
>>340795129
Splatoon is just passed a year and is pretty active
>>
File: 1463527483481.jpg (1 MB, 2560x2880) Image search: [Google]
1463527483481.jpg
1 MB, 2560x2880
>>340795634
>>
>>340795634
>>
File: animu laugh.gif (289 KB, 400x471) Image search: [Google]
animu laugh.gif
289 KB, 400x471
>>340795129
>don't include engaging endgame
>surprised when people stop playing

what did you expect?
>>
>>340795129
They don't have features that give it any longevity. Why else are CoD and Ass Cree instalments released annually?

It's weird. Devs have lowered everyone's standards, but people have slowly realised this and become less susceptible to marketing. As a result, devs now just go apeshit with marketing. They blow normies out the water with E3 reveals and build insane levels of hype. The games of course have no substance, but it doesn't matter. People will have figured out the game is a piece of shit around March-ish (allowing for people who receive games as Xmas gifts), but then, just a few months later...

BAM
E3 HYPE!

It will never end.
>>
>>340795129

A game does not have to be good to get amazing marketing.
>>
>>340795129
People bought into the hype plus it's not profitable to keep updating a turd when you can hype the next year's release.
Why do you think Ubisoft shits a new game every year that's very similar to one they made previously and is falsely advertised.
>>
>>340795129
Consumers are retarded and buy into the hype.
>>
File: 1454771366397.jpg (2 MB, 2234x1498) Image search: [Google]
1454771366397.jpg
2 MB, 2234x1498
Players are different from before, a large amount of people will flock to the game at launch, then after some time that number will decrease, mostly because the people that stop playing it just don't care about it enough, have lives, and are normies. The people who do stay are dedicated to the game, but sometimes are not appreciated, and developers will often alienate their more loyal fanbase to pander to a larger crowd, whom will turn their backs on the game in the short term.

Until developers and producers understand that they have unrealistic expectations regarding the number of players, things will continue as they are.

This all applies to multiplayer games, of course.
>>
>>340795379
Same here. I feel good for enjoying games that have been released 5 or more years ago, while some people spend all their money of the latest AAA games and only play them for 2 weeks.
>>
>>340795129
10 buy game
20 get tricked
30 ubishit hype machine kicks into gear for next yearly turd
40 well maybe this time it will be different r-right?
50 goto 10
>>
How many multiplayer-only-shooters am I supposed to be spending time with, honestly. It's not that these games "die", it's that it's utterly unrealistic to expect all of them to be "alive" at the same time. Devs saw TF2 do good and then suddenly there's a thousand games which expect to become the next millions-of-players-online-at-all-times allstar hits. And then people talk of them as "dead" when honestly, you wouldn't consider MGS5 "dead" because it doesn't have much people play it nowadays. You buy a game, you play it, you got your 30 hours out of it, and that's that. And unless everyone decides to waste thousands of hours on a game, it's dead? Bullshit. This whole multiplayer-only games with a focus on a strong online community is misguided as hell. That's not the experience all that many people are looking for, and the ones that are have already found their game and won't just "swap" from one day to the next.
>>
>>340795467
>tfw when niche multiplayer games from the 00´s still have more players active than new games do
>>
>>340795129
Games have always "Died off quickly", though. The only difference is, back when single player games were prioritized, it didn't matter so much.

Consumer buying habits haven't changed. The dev's approach to gameplay has.
>>
>>340796403
>Games have always "Died off quickly", though.
Doom is still going strong after 22 and a half years

Doom 4 will be lucky if it is being played next year.
>>
>>340796312

Warcraft 3 is making a comeback. A lot of people are playing again and the game breaks 10k viewers on twitch regularly.
>>
>>340795129

because they're bad why else?

meanwhile Dota 2 and now OW will never die
maybe you should think about why that is rather than wondering why these diamond dozen games that only manage to stay on life support thanks to underhanded marketing tactics are dying off
>>
>>340796403
>Games have always "Died off quickly", though.

only if you're memester who actually believes game age. people still playing bf42, ut99, quake, deus ex, wolf-et, deus ex, etc.
>>
>>340796597
Good thing to, I was getting lonely on the war3arena ladder
>>
>>340795129
Most games are shit nowadays. Good games retain players for years after their release.
>>
This is what big publishers want. Everyone to waste $60 on the first week, buy the DLC and then got bored so they can churn out the "next big thing" and start the cycle over again.
>>
>>340796710
>OW will never die
The game is less than a month old. Same shit was said about Rainbow Six Siege, possibly Evolve too. Only way a multiplayer-only game lives long is if it's competitive (Look at CS:GO, LoL and Dota 2). Overwatch is the opposite of competitive. It has low tick rate and ultimates. Saying OW will never die is just retarded.
>>
>>340796528
I don't know if
>going strong
is the term I'd use.

And even then, Doom is the exception that proves the rule. It's one game out of hundreds that came out in 1993. People only care about the original Doom now because of it's lighting-in-a-bottle impact on the cultural zeitgeist, which is something the new Doom couldn't lay claim to, even if it was made by God himself.
>>
File: 3lurker.png (117 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
3lurker.png
117 KB, 640x480
>>340796597
>>340796804

Similar thing is happening with Brood War. The last season on ICC was the biggest since 2010.
>>
>>340796528
>going strong
>handful of modders that create .wads and the turbonerds that follow said custom mods

Doom 4 will probably have the same amount of people playing it in a year as Doom has right now.
>>
>>340795571
This

The normalfag bubble is real and devs know about it but they don't care.
>>
>>340795467
I'll take "What is Unreal Tournament 2k4 for 500, Bob"
>>
because the Division is a bad game

no endgame, to which the devs replied in the most insulting way possible to the few people who were actually trying to push their characters as much as possible

to add insult to injury, they never banned cheaters who ran rampant from like week 2 on PC, added more inane bullshit to slow legit players from progressing

final nail in the coffin they announced 'bans' without warning for cheaters... a few days ago

too late
>>
>>340796802
Lots of people played them when they came out
Less people play them now.

Just because people still play them doesn't make that statement any less true.

I gaurantee you there will still be die-hard fanboys still playing The Division in ten years, or however long until they shut down the servers, whichever comes first. Won't make it any more relevant then.
>>
How's Battleborn doing?
>>
>>340795246
This. Companies have mastered the hype game to the point where people start believing they simply "need this game in their lives", then they realize the game they got and the ideal they were sold aren't even remotely similar and they lose interest.

The damnest thing is that people can actually get fooled time after time, even by a specific company, and the hype game still prevails and gets them to fork over cash, it's fairly odd to be honest.

I'm also convinced this is why season passes became a thing, the adaption rate for expansions and general post-release content is actually fairly low, even for solid games, only about 1/10th of so seems to buy into an expansion that arrives down the line and everyone else seems to be content to just have experienced the main game and then put it on the shelf, so companies decided to simply sell the expansion, the post-release content, while the hype game was strong and the interest was at its highest and it seems to work pretty well.
>>
>>340797349
ask the division's players

hint they disappeared
>>
>>340795817
One generation learn, the other falls for it.

When we finally got old and jaded enough to read between the lines, other 10 just left puberty and jump in to replace us as braindead consumers.
>>
>>340795129

Because they are shit driven only due hype.

Games like The Division, Evolve, Destiny were complete shit, but had huge amount of hype and marketing.

People jump in, pay 60 dollars, then realize the game is shit but cant do nothing but let it die.

The current AAA scene is closer than Con artists than game devs.
>>
>>340795582
I'd love to see wildlands sales be abysmal compared because of the shit games they've released recently, but because of marketing it'll end up suffering the same fate as the division.
>>
its pretty funny to see how many people seem to agree AAA games are mostly shit on this thread, while I'm sure many of you bought either Uncharted 4, Overwatch, or both
>>
>>340797018

I mean yeah sure OW will die eventually but it will be a long time before that happens and by that time they'll have OW2 in the pipeline ready to go

OW is gradually becoming Blizzard's preeminent game
everybody knows WoW has been slowly bleeding out for a while now
Hearthstone has made some waves admittedly but its still a card game which is a bit too niche
OW can probably overtake it within at least a years time I figure
the games got nowhere to go but up
>>
>>340797918
It doesn't mean that some of them still aren't good at being what they are
>>
>>340797918
Yeah but you can also bet your ass I turn down 90% of the AAA shit that comes out every year. I'm gonna buy the new Deus Ex, bought OW, but I don't see much else on the horizon i'm even interested in besides Civ VI which I wouldn't really say is AAA
>>
>>340795129
>mfw I bought QIII and UT99 in 2000 and play it to this day

Nu-gamers' brains are just wired differently. Also Neo-games simply suck shitdick and are flawed by design.
>>
>>340795129
Games marketed at casuals get casual players, casual players don't play games very long.
>>
>>340797443
>The damnest thing is that people can actually get fooled time after time

They aren't getting fooled
You're either keeping up with the trend or people move on without you. People don't like being left behind. Now you know
>>
>>340795129

People are delusional and completelly driven by herd mentality

I refuse to accept that anyone would defend the division after the open beta.

>PVP completelly broken
>No enemy / mission diversity
>Boring map and setting
>Blatant mobile game tier "restore your base from 0 to 100%
>Zero promises of endgame.

People were delusional saying "ubisoft will fix it, balance DZ, make it fun. to go Rogue"
>>
>>340797094

How long would it take for someone who has never played an RTS to git gud at BW?
>>
>>340797981
imo it's not gonna last long...the game gets old fast, ESPECIALLY in solo queue, and it's not that interesting to watch either...its gonna be like hots
>>
In regards to the Division it was an insanely addicting and decently entertaining game that just did not get properly taken care of by the development team which in turn caused a mass exodus.
>>
>>340795129
Because no demo or trial version is there. If ppl knew how shit games are they wont buy them.
Publishers have it to easy. Can realese shit and still have the money.
>>
>>340795129
because theres a NEW BIGGEST THING EVAR every 60 days
>>
>>340795129
They have almost nothing going for them these days.
>>
>>340797981
>the games got nowhere to go but up
Pretty much what everyone hooked says about every flavour of the month.
But then that's the joy of anonimity, you can be wrong and don't have to worry about getting called out later for making the same mistake again and again.

I mean what was the last FotM that really held on to any good numbers and remained relevant? Splatoon?
>>
>get super hyped about Splinter Cell Blacklist and the return of Mercs vs Spies
>mp is dead by the time I get it
>>
>>340795129
>normies buy into the marketing
>realize it's a shit an empty game copy pasta after 2 hours
>quit
>>
This is all avoided by waiting for games that interest you to go on sale.
>>
>>340795129
Because they suck ass. Only games I have played regularly this gen are tlou factions and ESO (ik) which is a far cry from last gen.
>>
>>340798414

Like 500-1000 hours of play/learning to go from D rank to C- and not be a complete shitter who loses to everything. In SC2 people need 10-15k games on average to make it to Grand Masters, which is roughly the skill equivalent of being ranked B- in BW. To get to A+ I'd say maybe 30-50k games.
>>
>>340795129

>being surprised that a game is shit when 90% of its whole budget went to marketing and the remaining 10% is spent on graphics
>buying western games

You only have yourself to blame desu
>>
Big companies only care about sales around release time. Ubisoft is probably pretty happy that they sold a shit load of copies but now don't have to pay for the servers to support a million players.
>>
>>340795129
People fall for hype marketing but then the game itself is actually shit.
Every time.
>>
Haven't most gamers already played like 3 billion hours of MMO shooters? To me they all just seem like map packs for the same game at this point.

The same is kind of true for a lot of games, but at least others have enough new features and a story to keep me going. And I don't need to sink 30 hours into getting good at a single player game to finish it.

For me things like Battlefield and TF2 kept me coming back because there was always something new to try. A lot of online shooters just ask you to run around on a race track trying to kill each other again and again.
>>
I'm more curious about what it is that keeps people playing games like WoW and LoL. I quit the first after a year or two and the second after 3 weeks.
>>
I always fall victim to the Ubisoft hype, and everytime I buy one of their games, I'm disappointed and 60 dollars poorer. I think I've given up on them honestly. Unless Michel Ancel pops out another gem, I'm done with those manipulative French fucks.
>>
>>340795129
They're designed to. That is how the publisher optimizes money gain. Get everyone to buy it day 1 and then get bored a few months later in time to buy a new game
>>
People have learned two big things about sustainability in games.

1. The ability to improve.
Game like MoBAs, RTS, competitive shooters, that have been dominating the sustained market are all games you grind out for a year and constantly improve at. You keep coming back to it because you can play the same content over and over without it just being old content like an MMO or Spectacle Fighter.

2. Unlockable content.
As much as you hate micro-transactions and time-gated content, the ability to reward your playerbase with time spent is huge. Giving incentives to come do your dailies and keep playing is a billion times more effective than trying to keep hype by just being "fun".

The problem is that the average person can't have too many of these games that require this much commitment, so they'll have a main one and cycle through the Flavor of the Month as a secondary.
>>
>>340799539

Time and money invested. If you spend tons of dosh on something and spend ages to git gud you're unlikely to quit.
>>
>>340797918
Never played any of the Uncharted games, and Overwatch didn't strike my fancy.
>>
>>340795246
This.
The whole point of marketing nowadays is to bait people in, no matter the costs (literally) - even if the game will be shallow, because most of the budget went into advertising.

Investors don't give a shit if your game sells 10 million copies over a year.
They'd rather have it sell 2 million copies in 2 months, even if it means rushing the game out and cutting content.
>>
>>340797094
Oh shit seriously? I probably spent more time on BW than any other game.
>>
>>340799976
I wouldnt go that far. Investors are happy with GTA5 and Skyrim, stuff which sells big at launch and keeps selling
>>
>>340797349

They got BattleBored
>>
>>340797918
>Uncharted 4
I don't own a console, because I'd rather buy a GTX 1070/1080.

>Overwatch
I'm not paying 40€ for a F2P-type game, just because Blizzard.
>>
>>340799606
For Honor could be the last game I get from them.
>>
>>340800105

Check out this, bro:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/brood-war/508993-shieldbattery-bw-revitalized-for-modern-mortals
>>
>>340795246
shill marketing is just a buzzword and doesn't mean anything at this point
>>340797443
this fag is right.
>>
>>340795474
right?? Indie games are the future!
>>
>>340800173
>because I'd rather buy a GTX 1070/1080.
Why? All the best pc exclusives run well on ancient gpus
>>
>>340797443
>>340797443
>>340797443
>>340797443
>>340797443
>>340797443
Watch injustice 2 will do this. Despite looking like shit tonnes of threads will be here daily.Then after a month no one will talk about it
>>
>>340800643
>you don't like generic AAA shit?
>you must like generic indie shit!
Everytime.
>>
>>340800680
I have a GTX 780. I can't run Witcher 3 with Nvidia Gameworks stuff on if I want 60 fps. Same thing with Ark: Survival Evoled (even though I'm pretty sure it's because it's in Early Access) - can't play it on maximum details. Oh and I'm not "VR ready", whatever the fuck that means, since there aren't any good games for the thing yet.
>>
>>340800829
right?? Japanese games 4 ever bro!!
>>
>>340795129

The thing is:
Why is it expected that you still play a game that you've finished?
>>
>>340801024
gee what reason could you ever have for continuing to play a multiplayer game
>>
File: Hey buddy.jpg (103 KB, 564x428) Image search: [Google]
Hey buddy.jpg
103 KB, 564x428
>>340800984
If you hate Japanese games I think you're on the wrong website.
>>
>>340801224
FUCK YOU
>>
Sometimes, I feel like games are designed badly on purpose. But then I think, maybe the people in charge are just really stupid. I don't know.

AVP 2010. I really wanted that game. It was one of the first 5 games ever to use DX11, and I'm a huge AVP fan. But what happened? They fucked up multiplayer, and it took several months to fix it. But by that time, it was being priced at like $5 and given away with graphics cards. It was a flop.

AVP2000 was a great multiplayer game. The devs don't realize that, and so they shipped some single player game with broken multiplayer, and the whole thing died. There are very few populated servers, and the whole ranking system was shit.

It's happened to countless games. They just think 'oh we can shit out a multiplayer client in 1 week and it will be fine', and then they wonder why their playerbase shrinks. Then the investors probably blame piracy for poor sales and that's why companies like Ubisoft put their prices so high and put so much DRM in their games.

Anti-consumerism being too prevalent, and people who have no interest in video games working in the industry. Too many yes men, not enough people speaking out. It's all about money now. They don't care if you have fun, they just pretend to care.
>>
File: 1458840844417.jpg (55 KB, 162x311) Image search: [Google]
1458840844417.jpg
55 KB, 162x311
>>340801204

Yeah, I buy an MP game and that means I'll have to play it until the end of times and not whenever I feel like it.
Also The Division is not a multiplayer game.
It's Singleplayer with Coop and PVP modes.
>>
>>340801416
epic for the win trole my friend
>>
>>340795809
sena a cute!
>>
>>340797918
But I haven't bought either of those.
I hate actually playing the Uncharted games because they're just unfun covershooters with some bad platforming but have some fun characters.
I haven't bought Overwatch because I have no friends to play with anyway
>>
>>340795129
Because quality>hype. Look at how the Division devs treated the exploits in their game versus Bungie and the loot cave. They got mad at the players for exploiting a flaw in THEIR game while Bungie made a joke and put an easter egg in the cave. While it took a long while for Destiny to have enough content to consider it really good in any measure, every update gave substantive content with it. The Division devs seemed to think the game would survive on hype alone.
>>
>>340795129
I enjoyed the division, but it took me and my friends 2 days to do all the missions and hit the level cap and then we spent a few hours in the dark zone fucking around.

A month or so later it got a patch that added one mission, so we went back did the mission and then had no reason to go back to the game again.

The game severely lacks content,especially for its development time.
>>
>>340795129
https://youtu.be/UX3smaRv7-Q
>>
It was a shit game that's why
>>
>>340801798
destiny is a fucking abortion, who gives a fuck about "oh it has more content where I can grind it infinitely"
>>
>>340795129
>Why is it that most games die off so quickly these days?

Because people no longer play games for fun, they play them for progression systems and goals.

I recently saw a "games journalist" article titled along the lines of "Can Overwatch survive just by being fun" and went on to say there wasn't enough unlocks.

No game can survive by just being fun to play now, unless it has some fucking progression system or ranks to grind out, people drop it after a week.

Games like Quake would be dead in 2 days with modern gaming audiences.
>>
The market is oversaturated with options. Like, think of how many MMO's there were ten years ago. Now we have all these hybrid MMO shooters and other shit. There's more stuff competing for people's attention then there used to be. MOBA's, free to play garbage, you get the idea.
>>
>>340795129
Because most people just buy something to play in between sessions of CoD until the new CoD comes out.
>>
File: 1450735957614.png (6 KB, 356x480) Image search: [Google]
1450735957614.png
6 KB, 356x480
>>340795129
>>
Is the division any good?
>>
>>340802114
Agreed anon, progression systems killed the fun. I've thought about that for a while, would I be playing this game if it had no unlocks? Its almost always no these days.
>>
>>340795129

because they are bad

Meanwhile call of duty has 2250 servers listed on gametracker alone. (no X4 private client list with custom 1.8 patch with proMOD)
>>
>>340802550

call of duty 4 I forgot to add
>>
>>340797018
>Same shit was said about Rainbow Six Siege, possibly Evolve too.

Those didn't have waifubait and ebin memes to keep players hooked.
>>
>>340795246
>false advertising

What the fuck do you even mean? How can advertising be false?
>>
>>340802789
Uh...
>>
>>340802114
>>340802549
that's because they know the game itself is shit so they throw in some arbitrary skinner box shit to keep people playing
it used to be that type of shit was just the cherry on top of a good game but now it's the entire game
>>
>>340802789
This anon is right, that would be against the law
>>
File: 1425176915125.png (278 KB, 884x884) Image search: [Google]
1425176915125.png
278 KB, 884x884
>>340801224
this answer never fails to trigger me
>WE ALL HAVE REACH AN AGREEMENT TO LIKE THING U DON LIKE LIEVE
there are boards for weebshit and this imageboard was intially planned to harbor only weebshit but since it's the current year and you just shut the fuck up once and for all and notice that you can use anonymous imageboards about videogames to discuss videogames without caring for weebshit and without posting smug anime faces

>on the next episode: our hero goes on a quest to warn /pol/ and /his/ why it's wrong to talk shit about samurais and hirohito
>>
>>340802789
>How can advertising be false?
Are you a child? Serious question. I can forgive this idiocy if you are a child although I'd still call for underage ban.

Saying your product contains something then it turns out to not contain it at all is just one form of false advertising,
>>
>>340798594
the game had a beta or possibly several betas but I wasn't paying attention

if people wanted to play they could have but they wouldn't know that the game is basically an theme park MMO in disguise
>>
>>340802789
Are you retarded? Destiny did this exact thing, trailers showed areas/mechanics that were not in the final game such as players being able to join a in progress game seamlessly with their ship actually bringing them down into the planet, several zones such as the Reef that were not in the base game and were later re-added as dlc. That is false advertisement, showing shit and deliberately misrepresenting the actual product. Destiny is the worst offender for this though and I'm surprised it hasn't become a legal issue given how much they showed and said that was in the base game that was ultimately resold to us as dlc
>>
>>340795129
This is only for the PC version
Consoles still have a huge playerbase
>>
>>340795129
Because the games suck and have no lasting appeal. Shit, before the gamespy server browser went down a year or two ago there were dozens of active (and even full) Halo: CE servers to play on, with good ping (nearby). That's a 15 year old game and people would rather play it than the games EA always announced they were shutting down their servers for because the EA games were shit.
>>
>>340795129
Because most modern games are bad and don't really know how to make a satisfying experience. Difficulty is thrown out the window and these disgusting pieces of shit honestly think its a good thing. Games need to be difficult to some degree, deep enough or interesting enough to keep playing. The game certainly wasn't interesting or deep enough and the challenge went away quickly. There is no reason to keep playing. The industries refusal to implement difficulty in their MMOs really ruins them over time.
>>
>>340803673
>console MP games other than CoD, BF and fighting games being alive after a month
kek
>>
File: 1465692956076.png (333 KB, 884x884) Image search: [Google]
1465692956076.png
333 KB, 884x884
>>340803409

Somebody better appreciate my autism.
>>
>>340804237
I'm impressed there's still people playing Demon's Souls online. I guess its integrated multiplayer really paid off.
>>
>>340800910
You don't need Nvidia Gameworks stuff
>>
>>340803409
You're a brainless fuck who not only lacks an argument, but your refusal to accept that Japanese things are and will continue to be popular on 4chan just highlights how incredibly stupid you really are. No one cares that you don't like thing, literally no one fucking cares. You're the one who needs to shut the fuck up for once, other people don't have to change so that you feel more comfortable here. Go start a tumblr.
>>
>>340804483
At certain points in the day, Dark Souls 1 has a more active PvP base than Battleborn.
>>
>>340804463
I appreciate it
>>
>>340796597
Where is warcraft 3 making comeback? On battle.net servers?
I lost my CDkeys years ago, i should get a new one if people are playing it again
Dota 2's custom maps are soulless and they're going the cashgrab route
>>
File: 1329883023845.jpg (44 KB, 409x393) Image search: [Google]
1329883023845.jpg
44 KB, 409x393
>>340804463
>>
>>340795129
Because everyone has ADD. When the new game feel wears off they lose interest and get another game. Rinse and repeat and I am a victim of this. Fuck my life!
>>
games are made like movies now
>>
>>340795129
the games are fun at first, but have like no staying power.

Play the story, discover shit, maybe fuck around in the Dark Zone, do some dungeons or whatever it calls them, then get decent gear. Then you only get to gear up more to do the content you're already clearing, but easier. Unless you want to get into the Dark Zone, where you either play right or die.
>>
The brightest stars burn twice as fast.
>>
File: 771092805981.jpg (205 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
771092805981.jpg
205 KB, 1920x1080
>>340802671
That's subjective.
>>
File: evolve.png (119 KB, 757x398) Image search: [Google]
evolve.png
119 KB, 757x398
I TRIED SO HARD
>>
File: 1465693637739.png (179 KB, 884x884) Image search: [Google]
1465693637739.png
179 KB, 884x884
>>340804463
I don't.
>>
File: pso-4.jpg (172 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
pso-4.jpg
172 KB, 1280x1024
Online games aren't an unprecedented phenomenon anymore, so they need something more than the fact they have multiplayer to grab the players' lasting attention. There is also a lot of competition, while the target audience for all of those games is roughly the same group of people. You still have a dozen or two people playing really old games that wouldn't last a year had they come out today, or new games that died fast like Evolve and Battleborn, but a lot of the players drift from one new game to another.
>>
My friend bought the division on launch day and played it two times before paying uncharted and hasn't played it since. I'm not surprised.
>>
>>340804784
Damn bro u mad as heck!
>>
>>340795129
Just watch Overwatch

It is already dead

No friend I know plays it anymore, and my favorite streamers didn't even bother with this game
>>
>>340795129

Dump their budget on building up hype, not on gameplay content.
>>
>>340810523

>only game on twitch that can even remotely compete with league of legends
>"dead"

/v/ has made you retarded
>>
>>340803409
No amount of being triggered will change the fact that anime is okay.
>>
>>340795618

Nah, dood. People that pickup up taco bell like cheap indie games, because they're probably college kids.
>>
File: 1341476400018.gif (791 KB, 250x182) Image search: [Google]
1341476400018.gif
791 KB, 250x182
>>340810523
>my favorite streamers
>>
>>340795528
>And that's not fair.
Wow, boo fucking hoo. I'm guessing you're feeling the Bern.
>>
because multiplayer-only rooty tooty shooty games have no substance or lasting power

once a population begins draining it's all ogre. the flavor of the month is dead, long live the new flavor of the month

that's why it's dumb to spend money on shit like Destiny or Evolve or Overwatch or Stillborn. multiplayer-only FPS have no lasting power, and the devs are such lazy fucks they don't even make singleplayer campaigns anymore.
>>
>>340811580
>workcuck detected.
>he doesn't get autismbux.
>>
Week 1 sales are largely what matters in terms of profits. In most instances you get the largest amount of people willing to pay top dollar for your product. To that end, a LOT of effort is put into making your game LOOK good these days, arguably more effort than actually making it good or enduring. If it makes a profit, it's fine to publishers. It's why marketing, despite its obvious necessity, has become a cancer to the industry. I pretty much make a point to ignore heavily marketed titles because it's all become so cynical to me by now.
>>
>>340811818
multiplayer only shooters do have substance and staying power. look at Team Fortress 2...
(or overwatch if it hasn't died in a few years).

Battlefield 2 still has players who went so far as to basically modify the game so it could get past the lobby server shutdown.
>>
It happened back then too.
>>
>>340795129
Damn, I was kind of hoping that Division would stick around, and give Bungie some legit competition. Maybe they would actually try a little bit harder to keep things interesting in Destiny if they had another game constantly threatening to steal their audience.
>>
>>340811818
Last I checked, Destiny's still going strong, and the numbers spike again every time a new expansion comes out.
>>
File: image.png (129 KB, 1182x756) Image search: [Google]
image.png
129 KB, 1182x756
>>340795129
>meanwhile destiny is still thriving

Top kek get fucked ubisoft
>>
>>340795246
>s-s-s-shills!
oh noes, people are making threads about new games coming out or games that have just come out, it's the end of the world as we know it! <end sarcasm>
fuck off already, you're literally the only person on this entire website that whines about some fake perceived threat against you.
>>
>>340803671
>said that was in the base game

That was never said though. Your argument would not hold up in court at all, for false advertising to actually be a thing it has to be very blatant.
>>
>>340812065
>week 1 sales.

this is the problem.
I wish there was a way to counter the hype machine, yet I don't think we'd have much success, it would require more discipline than 4chan can muster most likely.
>>
>>340802394
No. It would still be alive if it was good. I actually enjoyed it until I got the "endgame" which consists of shooting bullet sponges with 6 layers of healthbars until you literally run out of ammo.
>>
>>340795129
Same problem with movies. It's all in the hype, then a week later forgotten.
>>
>>340798294

>You're either keeping up with the trend or people move on without you. People don't like being left behind.

Maybe this is what seperates me from normalfags but I never really got why people do this. Are we so lacking in individualist drive that we need to validate our existence by liking what everyone else likes? What's the point? It's not like fads are ever enduring. Might as well stick to the things you personally like rather than trying to be into what everyone else is into BECAUSE they're into it. Or maybe I just have a gross misunderstanding of what people like. It's probably that one, and that's why I'm not in marketing I suppose. It's their job to appeal to audiences, they certainly know more about that than I do.
>>
>>340797349
So irrelevant that the only time you see it on /v/ is when somebody uses it as shitposting material or to promote Overwatch instead, sometimes it'll be shitposting material used to promote Overwatch instead
>>
>>340795129

Destiny still has decent player counts.
It's the fault of the game being complete garbage.
>>
>>340796597
>tfw put more hours into that one game than every other game I've played combined.
holy shit
>>
Ubisoft seems to have a hype-based buisness model.
They release bullshot videos, full of features that will never be in the final game, get people hyped, and then release a mediocre or worse product and hope people forget before the next game.
>>
>>340795129
Because OMG HYPE CULTURE EVERYONE OF YOUR TOTALLY-NOT-SHILLS BUDDIES AT REDDIT IS POSTING THESE TOTALLY-NOT-MADE-UP-FOR-THE-SOLE-PURPOSE-OF-MARKETING STORIES AND THEY ARE SO COOL! YOU WANNA BE A COOL KID THAT IS "IN" TOO, RIGHT??? RIGHT?!?!

rinse and repeat
>>
>>340803409
99% of influential games are Japanese. The west only had pc innovation which really were only doom, ultima, and d&d. You'd have to be a millennial who grew up last gen to say otherwise
>>
>>340814110
The gameplay demos were actually fairly accurate. The real thing that brought the game down was:

>absolutely atrocious endgame
No dedicated endgame activity like Destiny, only replaying the same missions but enemies are higher level and have more health. Everything kills you in 2 hits but takes 600 (seriously not exaggerating) bullets to kill.
>dark zone ruined
In the Beta it was primarily a pvp zone with occasional enemy patrols. So it was really about whether or not you could trust other players and if they were going to kill you and take your stuff or not. In the final game they put the aforementioned bullet sponge 1-hit-kill enemies on literally every street corner for the DZ.

Levels 1-30 (or whatever the cap was) were somewhat fun. The core gameplay and abilities were solid, the world design was beautiful, and exploring Manhattan doing missions was comfy. But after that the game goes to total shit.

It's actually the opposite of Destiny at launch, which had a terrible leveling experience but the endgame raid was really great.
>>
>>340814453
Dungeons and dragons is a great pc game.
I love rolling dice in my computer case.
>>
File: Raz consider.jpg (92 KB, 828x404) Image search: [Google]
Raz consider.jpg
92 KB, 828x404
>>340803409
>Go on Ponychan
>Complain about MLP
>Go on 420chan
>Complain about weed and pot smokers
>"WOW HUGBOX HUGBOX HUGBOX"
You're a faggot in serious denial, and Reddit was created to house folks like you.
>>
>>340813020
Nah, it's not just you. I'm convinced that people will just jump into the next "big thing" immediately simply because everyone talks about it and it shows everywhere on the internet. It doesn't matter, the quality will keep dropping and a lot of people will keep buying every single overhyped game in existence.

Not even consoles are worth a damn anymore with the upgrades. It's a constant jump from bandwagon to another bandwagon, there's no time to think about it.
>>
>>340795129
The game was solid throughout story mode, but the non-Dark Zone area was pointless after you finished the campaign and they completely fucked up with the endgame loot curve.

On top of that most PC players left due to hacking being piss easy.
>>
File: 1428734527719.gif (295 KB, 700x704) Image search: [Google]
1428734527719.gif
295 KB, 700x704
>client-side file verification
>>
>>340795129
Same reason why no one cares about block busters anymore.

No one talks about Civil War anymore.
>>
>>340805827
WE MUST GO DEEPER
>>
>>340814453
What about System Shock, Thief, Deus Ex, Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo and Full Throttle? What about the original Alone in the Dark and Grim Fandango? What about Half-Life 1&2(even though those games were on consoles too)?
>>
Bad games

Theres a reason why Age of empires and diablo 2 have a healthy playerbase and community after nearly 2 decades
>>
File: f16060907.jpg (33 KB, 480x319) Image search: [Google]
f16060907.jpg
33 KB, 480x319
>A Multiplayer-only game
>Practically unplayable when hardly anyone plays
>>
>>340795129
All marketing, no substance.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ
Relevant 4 years later.
>>
>>340820395
As a developer too, it always amazes me when you look at developer conference type things or go to them and developers actually try to insinuate the shit they are doing now is better than the past, when a lot of them are not even the type of people who know a lot about or even like video games that much.

The japs always have a high working knowledge of games however. Really the big east vs west thing is current eastern developers grew up on video games, and current western developers are San Fran hipsters who actually show off shovelware at conferences and try to sell based off marketing shit like "it's couch co-op!"

That being said some developers are really focused on games because they love games. Super Giant is like that and it shows in their games.
>>
>>340822619
Some, not all, are a little too self-centered to understand what someone would enjoy in a game.
The mentality is visible on all scales, from giant AAA productions to indie efforts, and it's very easy to spot - but thankfully not as common as we'd like to think for drama's sake.
>>
>>340795129
>Why is it that most games die off so quickly these days?

All games try to be significantly like other games. Just lookat the thread from earlier tonight where some faggot from 343i said they had to make Halo 5 like Call of Duty because nobody wanted to play a game like Halo 3 anymore. All of these big releases and especially shooters are trying to be just like the previous big thing.

That and devs/publishers are treating consumers more and more like fucking idiots these days. Most of them are, but when they do shit like leave unlockable "DLC" characters that are actually in the original game's code and purposely gimp their own games so no version runs better than the others, it's almost too stupid to grasp.
>>
>>340797018

nigga please

Division and Evolve aren't even in the same league as OW
>>
>>340795246
once again the first post answers the question correctly.
>>
I try out new games that interest me but have played monster hunter 3/4 regularly since they came out. 1000+ hours in each.
>>
Theres an abundance of entertainment and things to look at/read. Information saturation is actually a real thing and it makes everything feel weightless and its hard to care for it. I just got asuras wrath for 5$ expecting a glorious QTE movie with amazing scenes and I got just that. But none of it surprised or phased me. Now Im done with it and theres millions of other things to look at/play/read.

To
Much
Information
>>
They went back to league.
Players always go back to familiar territory, nothing new here.
The same will happen to overwatch.
>>
Ahem, I actually work for a GSP so I have a unique perspective here. Yes, newer games have been dropping in popularity (at least in terms of servers being hosted) almost immediately after they come out and older games have maintained a fairly consistent user base. Don't mistake people still playing as it being any different though, the community for those older games is actually quite small, and I think you would be surprised at the number of people that do stick around for the new titles. In general things have just been dying out all around. A lot of older games that have been doing insanely well are quickly losing players as well, most notably games such as Garry's Mod, CSGO and Minecraft. Overall I think people are just tired of the same old shit, and the game economy is reflecting that,so to speak. With a new medium right around the corner however (VR) hopefully we will see a new wave of resurgence into the market, it's actually a pretty exciting time despite everything.
>>
>>340795129

Because all these games don't have lasting power.
>>
>>340795129
they are only designed to keep you entertained until they can ram the marketing for their next big game down your throat
Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.