[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6
File: GameCube-Silver-Optional-Set[1].jpg (3 MB, 3960x2320) Image search: [Google]
GameCube-Silver-Optional-Set[1].jpg
3 MB, 3960x2320
What went wrong
>>
Input lag increases as you move away from the console
>>
Tried to compete with the Playstation at It's highest influence.
>>
bad marketing
>>
>Wavebird
Disgusting
>>
FUCK THE REVOLUTION
>>
>>340718474
Melee.
>>
>>340718474
With which part?
>>
>>340718474
INPUT LAG
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH
How am I supposed to do my frame perfect Ledge Wavelands with that shit
>>
Component cables

Seriously what the fuck
>>
>>340718474
No games. Seriously, once you have the essentials and the few gems, that's it.
>>
nothing
it was a literally perfect console
>>
>>340718474
No DVD player
Apprehensive stance towards online gaming
Was designed to look like a toy for children rather than a powerful gadget for adults
Component cables weren't even sold in stores
>>
>>340718806
"the essentials and the few gems" is like 50 games
>>
>>340718891
More like 14 at best.
>>
>>340718601

They would've been competing with it anyway, what?

You might as well say "it didn't win".

The whole point of the question is how could they have competed with PS2?

imo one of their biggest mistakes was totally underestimating Microsoft. One of their biggest problems was getting the shittiest version of any given port despite being almost as powerful as Xbox. People made the effort for PS2 because of the install base, and for Xbox because it's shader effects could make it look totally different and it could share most code with PC anyway. Gamecube merely looked like a more powerful PS2 most of the time with about half the Xbox's effects and a similar install base. Hardly worth the effort.
>>
File: 1431198961365.jpg (63 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1431198961365.jpg
63 KB, 1280x720
>can buy the gamecube for $20-30
>all the good games are still $60+
>>
>>340718930
>14 worthwhile games

By today's standards I think that's actually pretty good and definitely justifies buying the hardware
>>
>>340718474
That shitty control is useless for the most popular game of the console. One of the most played game of all times.
Contender for top 3 Game of Eternity.
>>
>>340718474
The controller design, the controller build quality, the fact that the PS2 existed, the fact that they created a new MGS game instead of just porting 1 and 2.
>>
>>340719013
Of this arbitrary number I can name maybe 6 that even appeal to me.
>>
>>340719013
Well sure, but one hacked wifi and a 32gb USB and you're set really.

My list of what I want to play but haven't has run short.
>>
>>340718474
disk size, nintendo shot themselves in the foot with that.
>>
>>340719124
Hacked Wii*
Fug
>>
>>340719107
I dunno man, six is still pretty good

For me it'd take about at least five games I might like to warrant buying a new system
>>
>>340719107
This.
I picked up a GCN for $20 and yard saled boat loads of games. I enjoy maybe 5.
>>
>>340719101
The controller is literally perfect
>>
>>340719298
And that's cool. We probably have different tastes and thresholds for purchasing stuff. But I suppose this is evidence that the library was hit and miss.
>>
>>340719417
Loud, cheap-feeling triggers. Non-standard button layout just like the N64. You're a delusional faggot.
You can't argue against that. The triggers are loud as shit and feel terrible. At least the original Xbox controller had nice triggers.
Nintendo sucks and you suck. The GameCube was not a good console and the sales in America reflect it.
>>
File: 1436748856036.png (129 KB, 314x278) Image search: [Google]
1436748856036.png
129 KB, 314x278
I miss my old gamecube, What are some must-download titles?
>>
Nintendo had already burned bridges with third party developers during the oppressive "our way or the highway" Nintendo/SNES days and the high development cost yet inferior storage media n64 days, couple that with a "Nintendo GameCube Game Disc" storage medium when everyone already knew DVDs were the way to go, the more lenient and attractive partnership offers at Microsoft and Sony, and retailers being sick of Nintnedo's shit (still are), and it's a wonder Nintendo is still making consoles to this very day.
They should have learned their lesson already, yet the repeated the same mistakes with Wii U.
>>
>>340718817
Where's the hard drive?
>>
>>340719865
http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki//v/%27s_Recommended_Games_Wiki
>>
>>340718474
what is in the memory slot, never had one of those?
>>
>people actually disliked the gamecube

is this real? probably the best console of all time, the quantity of good games was absurd.
>>
>>340720190
What went wrong =/= Dislike.
I love the GameCube, second favorite system that gen after the Dreamcast. But Nintendo just didn't handle it correctly, even though they made some effort to adapt to the changing rules of the console market.
>>
Why can't Nintendo consoles play DVDs or Blu-rays? Is Nintendo just too cheap? They're limiting the usefulness of their consoles. To put it into perspective, launch PS3s could play DVDs, CDs, Blu-rays, PS1 games, PS2 games, and PS3 games. Someone please give me a real response. I'm not just being rude, I really want to know why they don't do it.
>>
>>340718627
SHIT OPINION
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 471x312) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 471x312
>>340718474
Seriously?

> optical disc format limited amount of data storage available (note this does not necessarily mean worst graphic, just less pre-rendered video and voiced dialogue)
>inability to apeal to the then major 'hardcore market' (ie male adolescences)
>lack of DVD player (this was a massive deal at the time)
> lack of third-party titles
> lack of major mass market first party tites (Wind Waker was great but 'toon link' couldn't of alienate it it's western fan base any harder. It had sons of liberty level backlash.)

All in all it actually did a lot better than most people realise. The original Xbox barely out sold it. But they seem to go out of his way to make seem undesirable consumers. Not that that's anything unique.
>>
>>340718474
your father ejaculating inside of your whore mother to make you
>>
>>340720175
It's the input hardware for a wireless controller.

The Gamecube wireless controller was fucking terribad and had latency issues the further away from the cube you were.
>>
>>340720190
Have you only ever owned a GameCube? Any other consoles prior to this generation?
>>
>>340720329
Piracy (ironic, since their systems are always the easiest ones to pirate) and not wanting to pay the competition any money (Sony).
>>
>>340720361
PS4 is not exactly a good competitor. Launch PS3 was better. Full backwards compatibility.
>>
>>340720385
never noticed this when i had it

it can't be that bad
>>
>>340720190
Do not dismiss the glory that is the Neo Geo!
>>
Imagine growing up with nothing but a GameCube and thinking that's what gaming is.
>>
>>340718474
nothing.
>>
>>340720628
The cult of Nintendo.
>>
>>340720628
sounds fun
>>
File: jagstick.gif (25 KB, 435x292) Image search: [Google]
jagstick.gif
25 KB, 435x292
>>340720628
Lot of worse systems one could do so with. Jaguar for instance...
>>
>>340718474
Nothing, I've been playing Wario World and Double Dash recently, they're real good.
>>
>>340720385
Its like you have never even had one of those controllers. They were literally the best wireless controllers when they came out and STILL are today. :3 Try again though qt3.14pa2t3.14 :3 :3
>>
>>340720628
Growing up with DEELDOH controllers would be worse
>>
>>340720628
I knew a kid who only had a Wii and it was because his parents didn't trust him with anything else. The Wii was the family friendly kid's console.
>>
>>340720478
That added some heft to the pricetag, though. IIRC, launch PS3's accomplish PS2 backwards compatibility by having a little chunk of PS2 chipset inside the chassis. That big, fat, heat spewing PS3 basically had to have a little PS2 inside it to be backwards compatible.

Then people bitch about lack of PS3 game compatibility in the PS4, when it's so far from viable that it would be a waste of fucking time to try. Cell was such a fucked up piece of shit that it just can't happen.

It sucks, but BC is a more difficult prospect than people seem to realize. /v/ likes to praise the 360 for its BC, but I don't think most of /v/ has tried playing Xbox OG games on 360. At launch, it didn't even work with the bulk of the XboxOG's catalog, and some of the most popular Xbox original titles have godawful issues with audio and video. KOTOR is a fucking shitshow on 360, as is Fable TLC, off the top of my head.

The only games I remember working just fine on my 360 were Halo and Halo 2. They made more games work as time passed, but I still own XboxOG games that won't run on 360 at all.

Nintendo is damn good about keeping their stuff BC at least one generation back.
>>
>>340720478
> backwards compatibility

Considering the size of the PS3 library, that seriously wasn't much of a loss.

The Xbox one however would have been a lot better off if it had backwards compatibility out the gate, considering the size of the free 360 player base.

But that was the least of their poor decision.
>>
>>340718965
thats why you either use dolphin or buy a wii and hack it
no reason to own a GC for anything other than maybe being more convenient for tournies than Wiis
>>
>mini discs
>most people brushed it off as a kiddy console so shit like geist, eternal darkness, etc. sold like shit
>>
File: RE4 comparison.jpg (190 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
RE4 comparison.jpg
190 KB, 1024x682
>>340718474
It was a fine console with actually good hardware and a good controller.

I think the biggest problem was marketing and perhaps the console's design, people still saw Nintendo as the "kiddy" console and the new Zelda everyone thought was going to look like the tech demo ending up being cartoony plus the console being a purple lunchbox sealed the deal.

The secondary problem was the unusual storage medium, while it sped up load times it meant games larger than 1.5 GB had to remove features or be put on two discs. It also meant the Gamecube couldn't play DVDs which was an appealing feature for Playstation.

Maybe if they had marketed it better, saying "Hey, we got Metal Gear, we got Resident Evil, we got Eternal Darkness, and you can play it all in waaaaay better graphics than Playstation" they might've done better.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.